PDA

View Full Version : Browning BDM - Perhaps a little too ahead of it's time

Noodle
01-27-14, 13:35
Just picked up a used Browning BDM as I was overly intrigued by this hand gun. Here is what I know:
- made in USA between 1991 and 1998
- 9mm double stack 15 round but lots were sold with 10 round mags
- lost out to us govt (FBI?) contract so sold to general public/LE
- dual mode (pistol/revolver) for DA/SA or DAO shooting
- decocker and safety but safety is reversed from standard 1911
- slim HP type grip

When I first shot it, almost every shell failed to eject. After thorough cleaning, especially around ejector, seems to run flawlessly. Seems fairly accurate. Windage adjustable rear sight.

Anyone else have experience with this handgun?

youreacrab
01-27-14, 23:31
always liked the design, but the reverse safety operation (compared to a hi power at least) was a no-go. the bdao model intrigues me, but i understand spare mags are hard to find.

Noodle
01-28-14, 05:34
Yea, the safety positioning (up to fire) is an issue on the BDM. This safety decocker switch also acts as a slide release. So it will release the slide, decock, and engage the safety all at once!

The BDA is a little more straight forward DA/SA with a decocker. The BDAO was a DAO variant. Another Browning model that did not stick around for long.

Grand58742
01-28-14, 11:59
I had one for years, but had to consider the cost of spare parts and magazines. The aftermarket Pro-mags are garbage, so you are limited to hugely expensive Browning magazines that are in short supply. Ended up trading it off for a Sig and it's one of those pistols I'd love to have kept. The safety wasn't as big an issue with my since I learned pistols on the Beretta so the safety was natural to flip up.

Otherwise, it's a great shooter that fit my hands perfectly. Almost slim enough to be concealed and lightweight enough to be comfortable to carry. It was a good pistol that I would liked to have kept around.

If you ever need spare parts, Midwest Gun Works keeps a healthy supply of most items you'll need. Just avoid the Pro-mag aftermarket magazines.

JimmyB62
01-28-14, 15:36
I still had my FFL in 91 and I was a cop, so I sold a lot of guns to other cops. That's one gun I never handled and I handled A LOT of guns. As others stated, the operation of that type of safety was considered backwards so it killed off interest quickly. I think the bigger issue is that Browning did not have the greatest reputation during those years and there was some very stiff competition. These were the Sig glory years and 3rd Gen S&W autos were considered good guns too. With respect to your gun, those are just my recollections (which history has shown can all too often be faulty).

Anyway, sounds like it will be a fun gun for you and I understand your interest in it. There are guns from the mid 80's to mid 90's that I wouldn't have touched back then but now I come across them and think, Hmmmmmm...... might be fun. Nostalgia can be a bitch.

harm
01-28-14, 16:10
Supposed to be capable of great accuracy. Always thought it was cool. The clinton mag issue kind of killed it because... well it killed every gun that wasn't riding in LEO or Mil holsters.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JimmyB62
01-28-14, 16:58
...................The clinton mag issue kind of killed it because... well it killed every gun that wasn't riding in LEO or Mil holsters.

Isn't that the truth. Glock 17's didn't make a lot of sense.

Noodle
01-28-14, 19:33
http://youtu.be/Wn1ff2f9RPQ
Found this on YouTube. Guy goes on and on but some interesting info on the gun.