PDA

View Full Version : Correcting your DD214, have you done it?

usmcvet
01-28-14, 09:00
So just looking at my DD214 for the first time in many years. I have two medals not listed. Is there a way for a veteran to have a DD214 corrected or updated? They are "I was there medals" my unit actually issued them to me, they're still in the boxes. I have a National Defense Medal, South West Asia Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and a Combat Action Ribbon on my DD214. I was also issued two different Kuwait Liberation Medals, one from Saudi Arabia and one from Kuwait. I'd like it if they were on my DD214 too.

Thanks

Well Google is your friend!
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/correct-service-records.html
Looks like I can, have any of you done it?

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-28-14, 09:19
I dont think there is, i have 5 different dd214 and they like yours are missing unit and in some cases individual awards. They dont just add to your initial dd214, they give you a new one for each period of service . W

davidjinks
01-28-14, 09:28
I'm on year 4 of waiting for an updated DD214 to correct my time in EOD. I don't remember the form but I filled it out with the help of an AD 1ST SGT and submitted it to I believe it was Kentucky.

chuckman
01-28-14, 09:34
I left the service in January 2011. I have yet to receive one, even after a couple attempts. Next stop: my local congressman. I have no doubt it is missing some things, and I have not even seen it.

Eurodriver
01-28-14, 10:35
I left the service in January 2011. I have yet to receive one, even after a couple attempts. Next stop: my local congressman. I have no doubt it is missing some things, and I have not even seen it.

You didn't get your DD214 when you EAS'd?

skydivr
01-28-14, 10:45
NEVER throw away anything. Easiest time to fix an error is at the time of issuance...the longer it goes the harder it becomes....

usmcvet
01-28-14, 10:45
I am filling out a DD FORM 149 right now.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf

Looks like it can happen but takes a while. I posted on Together We Served too: http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp

I did a few searches and came up with some interesting info, It does not look like the KLM-SA was officially authorized until 3 Jan '92 and the KL-KK 7 Aug '95. I was already out, that could explain their absence. My unit issued me all of the medals, it just is not on my official record.

chuckman
01-28-14, 11:18
You didn't get your DD214 when you EAS'd?

I did not. I got the whole "it's in the mail" thing. I never even got a "eff you, get the hell out." Nothing. I have sent a coupel requests and have squat. When I got out it was from the Reserve side of the house and I can't even begin to tell you how unhelpful those asshats were.

GotAmmo
01-28-14, 11:39
NEVER throw away anything. Easiest time to fix an error is at the time of issuance...the longer it goes the harder it becomes....

I've got every official document since I came in back in '98. And multiple expando-folders with documents and copies of copies. Hell I just found the 4187 I submitted to try and get Airborne School from 98 with a sticky note that literally said "you wish". Ahh the memories

I couldnt tell you how many copies of Enlisted Record briefs i have... and i'll keep saving them up until I retire. It's the only thing that I stay ontop of when updating along with Iperms

TehLlama
01-28-14, 12:20

This was great advice when it was given to me - and it was worth the delay. Best part was still just hanging out at the on-base hotel, nobody thought I was there anymore, so I got to be a free tourist as long as the IPAC shop couldn't remove their heads from the fifth point of contact.

skydivr
01-28-14, 12:41
I've got every official document since I came in back in '98. And multiple expando-folders with documents and copies of copies. Hell I just found the 4187 I submitted to try and get Airborne School from 98 with a sticky note that literally said "you wish". Ahh the memories

I couldnt tell you how many copies of Enlisted Record briefs i have... and i'll keep saving them up until I retire. It's the only thing that I stay ontop of when updating along with Iperms

Not only until you retire, but until you die, and even after by your heirs as there may be benefits for Survivors/heirs. I have a big ass binder that has everything, along with a dvd in my safe deposit box.

skydivr
01-28-14, 12:45
I did not. I got the whole "it's in the mail" thing. I never even got a "eff you, get the hell out." Nothing. I have sent a coupel requests and have squat. When I got out it was from the Reserve side of the house and I can't even begin to tell you how unhelpful those asshats were.

Which Component? As a retired reservist, I can tell you the units do not have the talent, manpower or time. Plenty of times I had soldier off active duty assigned to my units, with their official documents MONTH's behind, or never even show up. My advice (if Army): Call HRC at Fort Knox and make an APPOINTMENT to go see them. Take EVERYTHING you have with you. It may take some time and a lot of patience, but it the ONLY way you will get your stuff corrected, and even then it can be almost impossible. A copy of your DD214 SHOULD be in your official online fiche.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-28-14, 17:20

I have to say this is just wrong, you got ****ED, there is really know other way for me to put that man, ****ED! I just don't see how this can happen? You literately do not walk out the door without this paper in hand? I took 90 days of terminal leave after my first enlistment and still walked off with a DD214. It defies logic, also as some one who has been threw the military comp and pen BS, take my advice very seriously, call your congressman NOW! I had to do this after four years of BS and med boards and re-submissions it got resolved, but even after my congressman threw his weight in it took a year. Don't trust the VA, duplicate everything and always get signature conformation from the post office etc. etc. cant say it enough! You don't want to wait any longer, you need that paper for school, home loans, tax brakes, employment etc.

ThirdWatcher
01-29-14, 03:15
Years ago (1976) they left my Good Conduct Medal off of my DD214 when I ETSed. I complained about it and they gave me a DD215 (which added the GCM).

chuckman
01-29-14, 07:13
I have to say this is just wrong, you got ****ED, there is really know other way for me to put that man, ****ED! I just don't see how this can happen? You literately do not walk out the door without this paper in hand? I took 90 days of terminal leave after my first enlistment and still walked off with a DD214. It defies logic, also as some one who has been threw the military comp and pen BS, take my advice very seriously, call your congressman NOW! I had to do this after four years of BS and med boards and re-submissions it got resolved, but even after my congressman threw his weight in it took a year. Don't trust the VA, duplicate everything and always get signature conformation from the post office etc. etc. cant say it enough! You don't want to wait any longer, you need that paper for school, home loans, tax brakes, employment etc.

For a lot of those reason, I really don't need it....but I do need it. Everything I have ever had I have made copies, and I know the only reason some things have made it into my record at all is because I walked my happy ass down to admin/S1 and gave it to the pimply PN3 and watched him (or her) file it.

chuckman
01-29-14, 07:14
Which Component? As a retired reservist, I can tell you the units do not have the talent, manpower or time. Plenty of times I had soldier off active duty assigned to my units, with their official documents MONTH's behind, or never even show up. My advice (if Army): Call HRC at Fort Knox and make an APPOINTMENT to go see them. Take EVERYTHING you have with you. It may take some time and a lot of patience, but it the ONLY way you will get your stuff corrected, and even then it can be almost impossible. A copy of your DD214 SHOULD be in your official online fiche.

Navy. Oh, the stories I could tell....

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-29-14, 08:12
For a lot of those reason, I really don't need it....but I do need it. Everything I have ever had I have made copies, and I know the only reason some things have made it into my record at all is because I walked my happy ass down to admin/S1 and gave it to the pimply PN3 and watched him (or her) file it.

Any of your buds still in, they could help you.

skydivr
01-29-14, 09:40

WRONG - you DO need it. Sorry I can't help you then. You still need to attempt to contact the Navy or Navy Reserve Personnel records center (whereever that is) and make the effort PRIOR to contacting your congressman. The longer you wait, the more difficult this is gonna be.

Palmguy
01-29-14, 09:54
I submitted a DD149 last July to the address listed on the form itself (Board for Correction of Naval Records in Arlington, VA), my National Defense Service Medal was left off. In November I got a letter saying that they don't do this type of thing and forwarded my request to Navy Personnel Command in Millington, TN. Who knows when (or if...) I will actually hear anything from them...

chuckman
01-29-14, 09:54
WRONG - you DO need it. Sorry I can't help you then. You still need to attempt to contact the Navy or Navy Reserve Personnel records center (whereever that is) and make the effort PRIOR to contacting your congressman. The longer you wait, the more difficult this is gonna be.

I meant for home loans, school...the reasons mentioned. I do need it, for sure; no argument there. I have contacted National Archives/Veterans Service Records...twice, 4-5 months apart. I will try once more (three times the charm??), then try another avenue.

skydivr
01-29-14, 09:58
I meant for home loans, school...the reasons mentioned. I do need it, for sure; no argument there. I have contacted National Archives/Veterans Service Records...twice, 4-5 months apart. I will try once more (three times the charm??), then try another avenue.

You need to contact Millington (above post), and go see them physically if that's what it takes. I used to have an Army Reserve unit in Millington.

usmcvet
01-29-14, 13:39
I submitted a DD149 last July to the address listed on the form itself (Board for Correction of Naval Records in Arlington, VA), my National Defense Service Medal was left off. In November I got a letter saying that they don't do this type of thing and forwarded my request to Navy Personnel Command in Millington, TN. Who knows when (or if...) I will actually hear anything from them...

Interesting. The freaking form says to send it to the Board for Correction in Arlington. I wonder if I should send it to both places.

usmcvet
01-29-14, 13:43
I dug a little and think I know why the Kuwait Liberation Medals (KLM-KK and KLM-SA) were not entered. They issued them to me but as foreign awards I don't think they'd been officially approved for several more years. I also found out I rated a NUC and MUC saw this reading NAVMC 2922 MMMA 21 Apr 00. Thankfully there was a search option. :o