PDA

View Full Version : Captain Phillips.....damn good movie with active personell actors

R0CKETMAN
01-28-14, 09:40
Spoiler alert...

At the end of the movie there's a riveting scene I re-watched last night which undoubtedly was responsible for it receiving an Academy Award nomination. When I watched it the second time I said to myself there's no way the female corpsman was an actor. Sure enough I was right as you can see in the provided link.

About half way through the movie where the unarmed ship's crew is helpless the faint sound of "Top Gun" esque music faintly begins to play. Then the screen is filled with Navy war ship Truxton. Definitely gave me that "proud to be an American" feel.

Was it Lone Survivor good, no, but is was a damn good movie.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/10/change-puts-navy-woman-facetoface-tom-hanks

Grand58742
01-28-14, 11:10
I did see where the crew thought it was a farce of a production. Haven't seen it myself, but there was some controversy surrounding it when it was released.

WillBrink
01-28-14, 11:15
Didn't see it s my understanding is it's so far from factual to the actual events, might as well be fiction. Good fiction, no doubt, but it tend to lose interest when that happens.

SteyrAUG
01-28-14, 11:30
Didn't see it s my understanding is it's so far from factual to the actual events, might as well be fiction. Good fiction, no doubt, but it tend to lose interest when that happens.

+1

With all the real heroes that go unrecognized and their stories untold, I don't have much patience for manufactured heroes who did little or nothing, or worse directly contributed to their situation and put others at risk.

austinN4
01-28-14, 11:33
It is a movie, not a documentary.

SteyrAUG
01-28-14, 11:39

It's a move that celebrates an individual as a hero when in fact he might have been at fault for the entire situation.

austinN4
01-28-14, 11:45
It's a move that celebrates an individual as a hero when in fact he might have been at fault for the entire situation.
I fault the real shipping company for having a gun free zone (just like a school or shopping mall) and not having firearms on board with which to defend themselves. Or is/was that some matitime law kind of thing? And the real captain probably could have done things better also.

The press celebrated him first and made him a hero. The fictional "based-on" movie simply followed along.

I actually thought the fictional "based-on" movie was interesting in that it reinforced the falicy of a gun free zone.

WillBrink
01-28-14, 11:45

True, and there's no reason a movie about a specific event can't actually follow what happened during that specific event, especially when the the actual events as they happened are plenty interesting. That's me, but before I see such movies, I tend to see if they at least made some attempt to follow the factual events. If the answer is no (and that seems to be happening with ever greater regularity) my interest drops considerably.

Again, that's me.

R0CKETMAN
01-28-14, 11:55
Still a damn good Academy Award nominated movie staring active military in key roles.

Interesting read in RED on the subject of factual correctness...albeit from the director....

http://www.slashfilm.com/director-paul-greengrass-responds-to-captain-phillips-inaccuracy-claims/

and on the gun subject since we're on a gun forum.....couldn't help but wonder as I watched what the outcome would have been with a crew armed with AR's

SteyrAUG
01-28-14, 12:01
I fault the real shipping company for having a gun free zone (just like a school or shopping mall) and not having firearms on board with which to defend themselves. Or is/was that some matitime law kind of thing? And the real captain probably could have done things better also.

The press celebrated him first and made him a hero. The fictional "based-on" movie simply followed along.

I actually thought the fictional "based-on" movie was interesting in that it reinforced the falicy of a gun free zone.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-members-deny-captain-phillips-heroism/

I agree that anything working near the African coast should have the ability to defend itself. While safe distance recommendations "might" have prevented things, there is nothing like the ability to directly defend yourself.

Grand58742
01-28-14, 12:03
Still a damn good Academy Award nominated movie staring active military in key roles.

Putting the active military in key roles is good. But I refuse to use an Academy Award nomination as any criteria for movies I'll consider watching.

austinN4
01-28-14, 12:15
From the quoted link:
Not all of the crew cooperated with the movie, and those who did were paid as little as $5,000 for their life rights by Sony and made to sign nondisclosure agreements — meaning they can never speak publicly about what really happened on that ship. It’s the film’s version of events — and Hanks’ version of Phillips — that will be immortalized.
“They told us they would change some stuff,” says the crew member, laughing. By the end of Friday, opening day, he had seen the film. “It’s a good movie,” he says dryly. “Real entertaining.”

So, the crew that cooperated with the movie sold thier life rights for a paltry $5,000! And at least some that did knew that some stuff would be changed! It is a bit hard for me to feel sorry for them.

austinN4
01-28-14, 12:20
Interesting read in RED on the subject of factual correctness...albeit from the director....
http://www.slashfilm.com/director-paul-greengrass-responds-to-captain-phillips-inaccuracy-claims/
Quoting the director from the above link:
"And I’m 100% satisfied that the picture we present of these events in the film, including the role playing by Captain Phillips, is authentic. I stand by the picture I give in the film, absolutely."

So the great arbitrator of authenticity is a movie director? Oh yeah, I feel better now. (not being critical of ROCKETMAN, but of the director)

WillBrink
01-28-14, 12:55

I agree that anything working near the African coast should have the ability to defend itself. While safe distance recommendations "might" have prevented things, there is nothing like the ability to directly defend yourself.

It appears the shipping companies seemed to have realized security on their ships was very cost effective to losing ships or paying pirates their "fee" for transit and have increased the number of security contractors on the ships. My understanding is, ships that have security on them being taken by rag tag DB pirates stands at zero. Correct me if wrong.

There's a member here who does such work and has posted pics, etc and comments a while back.

WillBrink
01-28-14, 13:01
From the quoted link:
Not all of the crew cooperated with the movie, and those who did were paid as little as $5,000 for their life rights by Sony and made to sign nondisclosure agreements — meaning they can never speak publicly about what really happened on that ship. It’s the film’s version of events — and Hanks’ version of Phillips — that will be immortalized.
“They told us they would change some stuff,” says the crew member, laughing. By the end of Friday, opening day, he had seen the film. “It’s a good movie,” he says dryly. “Real entertaining.”

So, the crew that cooperated with the movie sold thier life rights for a paltry $5,000! And at least some that did knew that some stuff would be changed! It is a bit hard for me to feel sorry for them.

Any one of them would have made more just getting a book deal for their experience and they wouldn't have to sign a damn thing as far as what they could say about in in the future. I wonder if any of them discussed with an attorney? I don't see an attorney worth a damn saying yes to that for a client. I literally could make them more $$$ than that self publishing on Amazon. Ugh.

SteyrAUG
01-28-14, 13:09
From the quoted link:

My concern isn't for the members of the crew who sold their story rights for a dime. My concern is a manufactured hero who will reap the rewards of an exaggerated tale.

austinN4
01-28-14, 13:53
My concern isn't for the members of the crew who sold their story rights for a dime. My concern is a manufactured hero who will reap the rewards of an exaggerated tale.
They go hand in hand. As Will said, they could have published their own version of the "truth", made a hell of a lot more $, and in the process they could have discredited Phillip's claims.

SteyrAUG
01-28-14, 14:45
They go hand in hand. As Will said, they could have published their own version of the "truth", made a hell of a lot more $, and in the process they could have discredited Phillip's claims.

And if they did and distorted the truth to make themselves out to be greater than they were, I'd have to same objections to their books or movies.

With the exception of the US Navy, I don't think there was anything heroic about the Maersk Alabama incident. I think a ships Captain willfully ignored warnings about being too close to the African coast either out of arrogance or deadline considerations. They were then attacked and did their best to deal with Somali pirates in their unarmed condition. And then the US Navy came along and rescued them.

I could understand making a movie about the event to recognize the efforts of the US Navy, but I have objections to making the ships Captain who was simply a hostage, who may or may not have contributed to his situation the central character and portraying him as some kind of hero.

WickedWillis
01-28-14, 15:35
+1

With all the real heroes that go unrecognized and their stories untold, I don't have much patience for manufactured heroes who did little or nothing, or worse directly contributed to their situation and put others at risk.

This is what I was going to say I'm glad I skimmed the article 1st.

usmcvet
01-28-14, 19:50
Spoiler alert...

At the end of the movie there's a riveting scene I re-watched last night which undoubtedly was responsible for it receiving an Academy Award nomination. When I watched it the second time I said to myself there's no way the female corpsman was an actor. Sure enough I was right as you can see in the provided link.

About half way through the movie where the unarmed ship's crew is helpless the faint sound of "Top Gun" esque music faintly begins to play. Then the screen is filled with Navy war ship Truxton. Definitely gave me that "proud to be an American" feel.

Was it Lone Survivor good, no, but is was a damn good movie.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/10/change-puts-navy-woman-facetoface-tom-hanks

I listened to a radio interview of Hanks. He explained the Corpsman scene. He said it was not planned. It was one of my favorite scenes. She did an awesome job.

Moose-Knuckle
01-28-14, 20:31
I listened to a radio interview of Hanks. He explained the Corpsman scene. He said it was not planned. It was one of my favorite scenes. She did an awesome job.

I watched the film last night, afterwards I watched the Special Features as I do with any movie that I take the time to watch. In an interview Hanks said that last scene was not in the script. It was supposed to be him the director and the director of photography just going over with real life Corpsmen in the sick bay how they would go about treating a patient like that. They brought the camera with them to see what angles they could get and what the lighting would be like considering the size of the room. They shot it and liked it so much they put it in the film. The male and female Corpsmen in that scene are the real deal.

As for what actually happened . . .

I remember a couple of other threads about the book/film is there any source for factual information to this incident?

usmcvet
01-28-14, 20:52
I'm glad it is not accurate. It was still a great movie. We don't need to know exactly what happened.

Jer
01-29-14, 00:03
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I was to produce a movie in Hollywood there's no way in HELL I would make a movie with firearms or military theme. Ever. You instantly turn off half of the would-be customers and the other half will never be happy with what you do regardless of how accurate to reality it is. Bunch of know-it-alls that would rather sit around and bitch about one insignificant motion or something than just enjoy a movie in the genre of something they enjoy. I can't believe there are gluttons for punishment out there that still attempt to do it when they could just spew out something animated or with Zack Efron or some such shit and make more money.

This was a wonderful movie and was intense from about the 2nd scene of the movie and kept you on the edge of your seat even though you know ultimately how the movie was going to end. At no point in the movie did it feel like it was going to end the way that it did until it did. Great movie and I for one am glad they decided to tell this story even if some actual facts were omitted for whatever reason. There's more accuracy in some Hollywood movies than most history books our kids study.

usmcvet
01-29-14, 13:47
Hello my Fellow Tactically Padded Brother! =)

My son and I complain about gun BS on TV and the movies. I like how a cop is looking for a bad guy or in Sleepy Hollow the weekly demon and they have to rack the slide of the weapon they've been carrying. WTF and my 11 year old son gets irritated when you hear a hammer cock or a safety disengaged on a Glock. Funny stuff really.

Jer
01-29-14, 13:49
Hello my Fellow Tactically Padded Brother! =)

My son and I complain about gun BS on TV and the movies. I like how a cop is looking for a bad guy or in Sleepy Hollow the weekly demon and they have to rack the slide of the weapon they've been carrying. WTF and my 11 year old son gets irritated when you hear a hammer cock or a safety disengaged on a Glock. Funny stuff really.

As much as that stuff irks me I'd MUCH rather watch a movie like Captain Phillips or Act of Valor than another damn Tyler Perry movie but with how critical the targeted audience is it's no wonder why we see less and less movies that would appeal to us.

Scoby
01-29-14, 14:16
I watched the film last night, afterwards I watched the Special Features as I do with any movie that I take the time to watch. In an interview Hanks said that last scene was not in the script. It was supposed to be him the director and the director of photography just going over with real life Corpsmen in the sick bay how they would go about treating a patient like that. They brought the camera with them to see what angles they could get and what the lighting would be like considering the size of the room. They shot it and liked it so much they put it in the film. The male and female Corpsmen in that scene are the real deal.

As for what actually happened . . .

I remember a couple of other threads about the book/film is there any source for factual information to this incident?

My wife and I watched it last night too.
I thought the sick bay scene with Phillips was the best scene of the entire movie. Damn good acting on Hanks part. The female Corpsman was super. A calm pro all the way.

usmcvet
01-29-14, 14:34
My wife and I watched it last night too.
I thought the sick bay scene with Phillips was the best scene of the entire movie. Damn good acting on Hanks part. The female Corpsman was super. A calm pro all the way.

As much as that stuff irks me I'd MUCH rather watch a movie like Captain Phillips or Act of Valor than another damn Tyler Perry movie but with how critical the targeted audience is it's no wonder why we see less and less movies that would appeal to us.

The Female Corpsman was awesome. That scene brought tears to my eyes. She was truly loving and caring. I did not know she was the real deal but that explains a lot. She did a wonderful job and was a Credit to the US Navy and to Corpsman in general. Have you guys seen Lone Survivor yet?

Act of Valor was outstanding too. My son asked me why he jumped on the grenade. I tried to explain to him that he knew he was going to die and wanted to save his Brothers. That brought tears to my eyes too.

JBecker 72
01-29-14, 14:46
I watched it last night and was entertained. The entire time the pirates were chasing the boat, all I was thinking is that they need a team of 4 security contractors armed with M4 rifles, side arms, body armor, tear gas, and flash bangs on these ships. Problem solved.

Moose-Knuckle
01-29-14, 16:21
The entire time the pirates were chasing the boat, all I was thinking is that they need a team of 4 security contractors armed with M4 rifles, side arms, body armor, tear gas, and flash bangs on these ships. Problem solved.

Some of those Skinny pirates have used RPGs in their assaults. PMC's with .50 BMG sniper rifles and a .30 Cal belt-fed could disable the pirate skiffs long before they were in small arm range, that or sink their 02 thieve’n asses.

Jer
01-29-14, 17:19
I watched it last night and was entertained. The entire time the pirates were chasing the boat, all I was thinking is that they need a team of 4 security contractors armed with M4 rifles, side arms, body armor, tear gas, and flash bangs on these ships. Problem solved.

I think things have changed to that end since this incident which brought a lot of attention to that need.

Grand58742
01-29-14, 17:36
I think things have changed to that end since this incident which brought a lot of attention to that need.

I have kind of noticed a lack of articles in the news about that. And seems the pirating attacks have moved west to around Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia per the Piracy map:

http://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-reporting-centre/live-piracy-map

And 2013 total

http://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-reporting-centre/live-piracy-map/piracy-map-2013

Looks like the Somalis have backed off a ways.

Moose-Knuckle
01-29-14, 17:42
Looks like the Somalis have backed off a ways.

Probably has something to do with . . .

American hostage in Somalia rescued by US Navy SEALs in overnight raid
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/25/10229917-american-hostage-in-somalia-rescued-by-us-navy-seals-in-overnight-raid?lite

U.S. missile strike targets suspected militant leader in Somalia
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/26/22457648-us-missile-strike-targets-suspected-militant-leader-in-somalia

Grand58742
01-29-14, 17:54

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/25/10229917-american-hostage-in-somalia-rescued-by-us-navy-seals-in-overnight-raid?lite

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/26/22457648-us-missile-strike-targets-suspected-militant-leader-in-somalia

Knew about the first one. Hadn't heard about the second one.

I suppose getting a Hellfire or Tomahawk missile shoved up your rear end would tend to help common sense break out.

Jer
01-29-14, 19:07

But but but... everyone knows you can't fight violence with violence. You must use diplomacy to solve our differences. /sarcasm

austinN4
01-29-14, 19:43
And seems the pirating attacks have moved west to around Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia per the Piracy map
Piracy in the Strait of Malacca is nothing new. Been going on there for a long, long time.