PDA

View Full Version : AAC Flash Hider Ping

PatrioticDisorder
01-28-14, 15:49
Thinkng about getting into the NFA game before that door is closed, I'm currently trying to research what can to go with... Only thing holding me back from the AAC cans is I keep reading about the "ping" on the AAC flash hiders being magnified by ear pro... Considering I'll still be shooting mostly unsuppressed, that would be bothersome to say the least.

So, I'm just curious to hear feedback from those who are running the AAC flash hider with ear pro?

Iraqgunz
01-28-14, 15:51
The only people who care about this are the same people who put grease on their action spring to eliminate the "sproing" twang.

chrismartin
01-28-14, 15:55
It's never bothered me. If you don't want the ping, just run the brake, the brakeout or better yet the newly announced brakeout2

wildcard600
01-28-14, 16:19
just go shooting with a bunch of garand guys. there will be so much "pinging" goin on you wont know whos pinging who !

ElJefeDeJefes
01-28-14, 16:31
It's never bothered me. If you don't want the ping, just run the brake, the brakeout or better yet the newly announced brakeout2

^^^
This

I feel this is a bit "overhyped." Is it noticeable, sure. But it really isn't THAT bad

Quiet Riot
01-28-14, 18:04
Not all AAC FHs ping the same. I have several- they all ping, but one of them is all but silent, and one is so loud that I always get comments about how annoying it is at the range and on my videos. I already have a Brakeout for that rifle, but I just haven't gotten around to swapping it out.

If you are indeed worried about it, just go with the Brake or Brakeout from the start. You won't know how much your FH will ping until you put it on your rifle and shoot.

308sako
01-28-14, 19:17
Somewhere I read an interesting article on trimming the 3 prongs to slightly different lengths eliminating the tuning fork ping.

I haven't tried it as only one of my 2 51T Miter mounts has pinged to me. I also try to shoot suppressed 99% of the time to save my remaining hearing. YMMV

Tzintzuntzan
01-28-14, 20:30
IG said it best, if you're hot and bothered about the ping then you need to look a bit harder at what you want out of your rifle.

PatrioticDisorder
01-28-14, 20:33
IG said it best, if you're hot and bothered about the ping then you need to look a bit harder at what you want out of your rifle.

It's not really the ping that bothers me, I was just inquiring about people who have first hand experience with the blackout & wearing ear pro. In my cursory research on the topic I read ear pro can amplify the ring and it can be annoying. I'll take the fact that AAC cans are as popular as they are as a clue the ping isn't anything to worry about.

Tzintzuntzan
01-28-14, 20:47
You might wanna hold out for these new OSS cans. Word is that they are pretty good.

PatrioticDisorder
01-28-14, 21:05
You might wanna hold out for these new OSS cans. Word is that they are pretty good.

Truth be told I really want to get a Saker 556 & 762 but I'd hate to mix match cans... I'd rather go with 1 line and I know there will be droves looking for the Saker 762 and we have the 41p clock ticking so if I try holding out for that I might end up NOT having a .30 cal can at all.

VLODPG
01-28-14, 21:15
I would be more concerned about the "positive lockup" of their 51T mount or might I say their lack of solid lockup.

My SDN-6 constantly skips a few teeth & has to be retightened after every mag. I wouldn't buy it again based on the mount.

Benito
01-28-14, 21:22
I noticed it the first time I shot my AR with it installed. Never noticed it since. Until seeing this thread, I had completely forgotten about it.

PatrioticDisorder
01-28-14, 21:25
I would be more concerned about the "positive lockup" of their 51T mount or might I say their lack of solid lockup.

My SDN-6 constantly skips a few teeth & has to be retightened after every mag. I wouldn't buy it again based on the mount.

I'd read a little on that topic but I thought it was a relatively minor problem?

Mauser KAR98K
01-28-14, 23:28
The Smith Enterprise's Vortex does the same "ping". I don't mind it a bit. Love it when my rifle sings.

Koshinn
01-29-14, 09:51
I noticed a "ping" yrs ago when using active hearing protection, or when the bare muzzle banged into something. The aac cans were the new at that time. In the last couple yrs I have not noticed any AAC "pinging". Perhaps they have changed the design slightly or my hearing is shot...

They still definitely ping.

Probably hearing loss. :p

newly announced brakeout2
What? Where?

jt526
01-29-14, 10:05
All mine ping, in both 5.56 and 7.62. Brakeout2 was announced at shot, search for some posts by rsilvers.

ETA: I also don't find it annoying or offensively loud, I could care less if it pings, whistles or sings karaoke.

PatrioticDisorder
01-29-14, 11:43
All mine ping, in both 5.56 and 7.62. Brakeout2 was announced at shot, search for some posts by rsilvers.

Oh that thing looks like a winner! Almost as good flash suppression as the blackout but with better recoil management than the breakout1? Glad I learned about it from this thread!

kal0220
01-29-14, 11:59
So the tiny ping is bothersome, but the boom of the rifle or the crack of the bullet isn't an issue? I ran mine in a class, about 1000 rds, amplified ear pro and yes, I noticed it, but you get used to it and press on. If you live near an airport, you get used to the planes overhead, same concept.

grunz
01-29-14, 14:16
My rifle also makes a loud noise when I press the trigger. Am I doing something wrong? :(

ra2bach
01-29-14, 17:27

got a link?..

justin_247
01-29-14, 18:03
Oh that thing looks like a winner! Almost as good flash suppression as the blackout but with better recoil management than the breakout1? Glad I learned about it from this thread!

I'm very skeptical of these claims. It may have better recoil management, but I'm willing to bet that the flash suppression is nowhere near as good as the Blackout and A2 flash hider.

strambo
01-29-14, 20:56
Mine doesn't ping, but its on a 10.5" barrel.

Arctic1
01-30-14, 03:01
I shot several different guns last week that had AAC flash hiders on them, and I used electronic ear pro.
I cannot say that an annoying ping was something that stuck with me.

They did have two different designs, with one having rounded prongs and the other having flat areas on the prongs. The one with rounded had a distinct ping when we tapped on it, sort of like a tuning fork, but nothing I noticed when shooting.

The AAC guys were only there for the demo shoot, and one day for the course I took, so didn't have time to ask too many detailed questions on the suppressors and flash hiders. They do a great job of reducing report, as well as reducing felt recoil.

markm
01-30-14, 10:22
The ping is barrel specific in my experience. I've moved a mount from one gun to another and went from no ping to some ping.

A badly pinging barrel/mount combo can be annoying. Moderate pinging never bothered me though.

PatrioticDisorder
01-30-14, 10:34
The ping is barrel specific in my experience. I've moved a mount from one gun to another and went from no ping to some ping.

A badly pinging barrel/mount combo can be annoying. Moderate pinging never bothered me though.

Thanks, moderate pinging wouldn't bother me either. My worry was only the combo of significant pinging being greatly amplified by ear pro to the point I'd be looking to use some old school ear muffs... I think my only problem is every rifle I own has a lightweight/pencil barrel, which I'm guessing may be the worst profile for the ping.

jt526
01-30-14, 11:21
I'm very skeptical of these claims. It may have better recoil management, but I'm willing to bet that the flash suppression is nowhere near as good as the Blackout and A2 flash hider.

Finally found where I saw a comparison pic in 308 at least.

Travelingchild
01-30-14, 20:49
This..
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/th_ping.jpg (http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/ping.mp4)

Funny thing never noticed it during the class, to busy trying to listen to the instructor, hit my target and ignore all the firearms going off next to me..

Contour camera mounted on a troy rail,
colt upper/bcg with 14.5 DD lightweight pinned Smith Vortex,

This is simply for an audio/visual reference for those who are unsure of what is being discussed here.

surefire fury opposite,
Vortex pst 1x4 with capped turrents on top
s/w lower with all Daniel Defense internals. str stock with larue buffer &extention

Quiet Riot
01-31-14, 04:32
This..
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/th_ping.jpg (http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/fallsafe/ping.mp4)

Funny thing never noticed it during the class, to busy trying to listen to the instructor, hit my target and ignore all the firearms going off next to me..

Contour camera mounted on a troy rail, colt upper/bcg with 14.5 DD lightweight pinned vortex, surefire fury opposite,
Vortex pst 1x4 with capped turrents on top
s/w lower with all Daniel Defense internals. str stock with larue buffer &extention

That's what I would consider "mild."

Here's what my worst one sounds like, and the sound in this video is exactly what you hear through electronic ear pro- a pleasant sounding report from the rifle, followed by a drawn out whine from the FH. None of my other AAC FHs ping as bad as this.
http://youtu.be/Gdg45Vr-Mj8?t=2m19s

ra2bach
01-31-14, 11:59
This..

that's not Blackout, that's a Smith Vortex...

col.1981
01-31-14, 17:23
Finally found where I saw a comparison pic in 308 at least.

Is it me or does the brakeout 2 look exactly the same as the breakout? Did they do away with the top port maybe? I can't tell any difference from that photo or how its supposed to be better.

OP I wouldn't sweat the ping.

jt526
01-31-14, 17:24
The post mentioned not needing to shim it, so I suspect it is three redesigned ports spaced along the tines.

col.1981
01-31-14, 17:37
The post mentioned not needing to shim it, so I suspect it is three redesigned ports spaced along the tines.

Hmm, that's interesting. Three ports at equal intervals apart vs. two large ones on the side and a smaller on on top. I still don't understand how that will significantly reduce flash or offer that much more "recoil reduction". The brakeout is already pretty effective at keeping the muzzle flat. AAC's reasoning of keeping a closed bottom to minimize "environmental disturbance" has already been debunked, as MarkM has shown us that even A2's kick up plenty of dust while shooting prone. So maybe they just rolled with a new device that doesn't need to be timed. I'm interested in it, would like to try one out when they become available.

Travelingchild
01-31-14, 18:41
that's not Blackout, that's a Smith Vortex...
True I stated as much in my post..
It was simply a visual / audio reference for those who weren't sure of the DREADED "Oh my flash hider, brake, etc makes a Ping sound" was.:cool:

Horsehide
01-31-14, 19:14
On a weapon intended for social purposes, this is a non-issue.
For a "gamer's" carbine, how does this even matter?

ra2bach
01-31-14, 19:25
True I stated as much in my post..
It was simply a visual / audio reference for those who weren't sure of the DREADED "Oh my flash hider, brake, etc makes a Ping sound" was.:cool:

I had to go back and read it over again before I see where you "stated as much in your post". you should probably go back and make sure it's obvious before some moron starts badmouthing AAC over this vid...

Fontaine
02-01-14, 01:34
The "PING" sound goes away after just a few magazines through a suppressor. I've seen this phenonomena dozens of times... likely because I had one of the hardest working M4-2000s before I pinned/welded it haha

People who complain about "PING" on their AAC 51T Blackouts are simply folks who've not put significant rounds through their suppressor mounts. Carbon build up quickly changes the harmonics of the tines to a frequency that is outside of human gearing.

G19A3
02-01-14, 05:45
That's what I would consider "mild."

Here's what my worst one sounds like, and the sound in this video is exactly what you hear through electronic ear pro- a pleasant sounding report from the rifle, followed by a drawn out whine from the FH. None of my other AAC FHs ping as bad as this.
http://youtu.be/Gdg45Vr-Mj8?t=2m19s

The section in the video showing the Saiga semi-auto rate of fire was impressive. Cool video.

Eurodriver
02-01-14, 10:06
I have several thousand rounds through AAC blackouts, but 99% of my firing is suppressed. Why have a QD suppressor mount if you're not using the can?

That video QR posted is nuts. I've never gotten anything close to that much report even with electronic ear pro. I guess they do vary between guns. I also wonder if firing suppressed eliminates it somewhat.

eodinert
02-01-14, 20:44
I have several thousand rounds through AAC blackouts, but 99% of my firing is suppressed. Why have a QD suppressor mount if you're not using the can?

Some folks permanently attach them to 14.5 inch barrels so they can stay Title I, and other just want to be cool.

Quiet Riot
02-02-14, 07:42

That video QR posted is nuts. I've never gotten anything close to that much report even with electronic ear pro. I guess they do vary between guns. I also wonder if firing suppressed eliminates it somewhat.
I have a 762-SDN-6, which is fine for occasional use on the 16" rifle you see in that video, but it makes everything a bit long. I prefer shooting that rifle unsuppressed but like to keep my options open. Still, I've run thousands of rounds out of that rifle and hundreds of that were suppressed.

I use it all the time on my 8" 300BLK SBR, also seen in that video.

rsilvers
04-01-14, 17:17
BrakeOut2 appears to be shipping:

http://tradingplacepawn.com/shop-online/300-blackout/advanced-armament-corp-aac-brakeouttm-2-compensator-7-62-5-8x24.html

While I designed this and so am not unbiased, it was independently tested by Remington's R&D facility and scored 31% better recoil reduction than a Brakeout1, and 99.6% as much recoil reduction as an AAC dedicated two-chamber brake - so it really does obsolete normal muzzle brakes. Flash reduction looked almost as good as a Blackout. This does not need timing because it is symmetrical.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/837/0nfz.jpg

tom12.7
04-01-14, 20:49
I'll give one of these BrakeOut2 MDs a try out.
Any ideas about the ping on these? I really don't think the ping is a real issue at all, I hardly notice it, except on some videos. Just curious about it.

BufordTJustice
04-01-14, 20:49

http://tradingplacepawn.com/shop-online/300-blackout/advanced-armament-corp-aac-brakeouttm-2-compensator-7-62-5-8x24.html

While I designed this and so am not unbiased, it was independently tested by Remington's R&D facility and scored 31% better recoil reduction than a Brakeout1, and 99.6% as much recoil reduction as an AAC dedicated two-chamber brake - so it really does obsolete normal muzzle brakes. Flash reduction looked almost as good as a Blackout. This does not need timing because it is symmetrical.

Oooooh. Will there be a 5.56 version?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

tom12.7
04-01-14, 20:50
Oooooh. Will there be a 5.56 version?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

It says it'll be on the link provided.

rsilvers
04-01-14, 20:53
No ping on those because the prongs are very short.

tom12.7
04-01-14, 20:54
Sounds good, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

TexasGunNut
04-01-14, 21:13
[QUOTE=rsilvers;1887696]BrakeOut2 appears to be shipping:

Crap Silvers, I just got all of my suppressed guns standardized with your BO1. Now do I buy another AAC can like I planned or get 10 of these?
BTW props on the R&D. I've seen enough modeling in my day to just imagine the iterations this went through.

Koshinn
04-01-14, 22:08

Isn't that a picture of the original brakeout?

03scgt
04-01-14, 22:41
I can't stand watching videos with that ping let alone shooting a gun with it.

Koshinn
04-01-14, 23:06
I can't stand watching videos with that ping let alone shooting a gun with it.

It's really not that bad.

sammage
04-02-14, 09:04
It's really not that bad.

Yup. If it bothers someone, they're doing it wrong.

sparky-kb
04-02-14, 12:47
Will the Brakeout 2 work as a sacrificial baffle for a suppressor on a SBR like the original? I've not seen any pictures of the inside of one. Im also curious about the amount of blast produced by the Brakeout 2. This may be the solution for a 10.5 that I've been looking for.

mtdawg169
04-02-14, 13:16
I just want to know when the 5.56 version be out and will it come in a 90T version? On that note, same goes for the SR5.

ClearedHot
06-03-14, 00:20
Just wanted to bump this thread. I have a newer AAC Blackout and it has minimal ping. My buddy's Smith Vortex actually has a more noticeable pinging sound when firing.

Also, which version AAC Blackout did the Army purchase a few years ago when equipping troops in Afghanistan? Was it the mount or non-mount flash hider?

http://kitup.military.com/2011/02/asymmetric-warfare-group-spearheads-signature-management-effort.html

markm
06-03-14, 08:49
I just put a pinger on one of my guns last night. Can't wait to shoot it. Had a brake on there that was driving me nuts.

Eurodriver
06-03-14, 10:01
I just put a pinger on one of my guns last night. Can't wait to shoot it. Had a brake on there that was driving me nuts.

Shoot it suppressed for a couple hundred rounds and you'll start wondering what in the world all the fuss is about.

markm
06-03-14, 10:26
Shoot it suppressed for a couple hundred rounds and you'll start wondering what in the world all the fuss is about.

I did have it on an 11.5 briefly when I was trying to gas the thing down to work with a can. It did ping a bit. But I never ran it long enough to decide if I could live with it. I switched to the brake for the supposed sacrificial baffle approach.