PDA

View Full Version : The Hero Project

WillBrink
01-29-14, 11:06
A great idea. I have a greyhound, and they are special dogs who often need homes after their career as a pro athlete is over. Perhaps something to pass around to vets you know who could benefit from this program or donate to: http://servicedogs4servicemen.com

I donated some $$$.

Hero Project pairs greyhounds with wounded warriors

"We're getting a second chance by giving the greyhounds a second chance," Bergeron said. "You gain a little bit of hope with the program, that your life is not always going to be locked away avoiding people."
It's the first program I know of dealing exclusively with retired racing greyhounds," Bergeron said. "Most of the programs nationwide have a really long waiting list, and some vets are waiting a year or two just to get a dog. We try to get the word out to other veterans that there's a program right here in your backyard."

and

"So far, De La Rosa has trained 10 greyhounds for what he calls the Hero Project. The dogs are trained at Petropolis Park in Hollywood at no cost to the veteran.
De La Rosa meets with the veterans first, then trains the greyhounds — former race dogs at the Palm Beach Kennel Club — to meet their particular needs, from mobility issues to PTSD."

Cont:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-greyhound-trainer-military-20140125,0,329018.story?page=2&track=rss

Safetyhit
01-29-14, 15:26
My hat is off to you for caring enough Will. No doubt you're a good man.

Vic303
01-29-14, 15:30
Cool! And a tip 'o the hat to you Will, for donating. If it weren't for Rhodesian Ridgebacks, I'd probably have rescued greyhounds....

lunchbox
01-29-14, 15:41
Good on you Will! I really like this idea. I rescued a Plott hound, had no intentions of getting a dog (but saw a low life in action and couldn't bear it) but afterwards I can honestly say that dog has done more for me, than I ever did for him. Dogs love unconditionally, and that can make a sh!t day more bearable. Will pass link/info for this great cause along, thanks.

WillBrink
01-29-14, 15:47
Cool! And a tip 'o the hat to you Will, for donating. If it weren't for Rhodesian Ridgebacks, I'd probably have rescued greyhounds....

Well, it's a program that matches up vets in need with Greyhounds (a wonderful noble dog that spends the first few years of it's life stuffed into a little cage most days), so donating to that one was no brainer for me. It's not like I sent my life savings or anything, but it's rare when both sides of the equation (dog and man) equally need each other like that. It's got the win win written all over it.

WillBrink
01-29-14, 15:49
Good on you Will! I really like this idea. I rescued a Plott hound, had no intentions of getting a dog (but saw a low life in action and couldn't bear it) but afterwards I can honestly say that dog has done more for me, than I ever did for him. Dogs love unconditionally, and that can make a sh!t day more bearable. Will pass link/info for this great cause along, thanks.

Excellent, lets make it happen! As I say about my greyhound, I didn't rescue her, she rescued me. Damn allergy season...

SeriousStudent
01-29-14, 21:56
A friend of mine has two rescue greyhounds, I'll pass this on the next time I see her.