PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to break in a triangle folder?

Flankenstein
01-29-14, 12:36
The poly folder on my 107 was super stiff out of the box but broke in in no time at all. Hit it with a nylon hammer twice and then I could do it with one thumb no problem.

I just got the -34 version with triangle side folder and I've hit the button on the triangle folder more times than I can count with the hammer and I still can't open it with my thumb.

Any tips? Preferably ones that don't involve taking the stock off the gun.

Thanks

I've been told on another forum that "break in" is a myth. I would be inclined to believe this however it seems that I "broke in" my poly folder quite easily- but out of the box it was just as difficult as the triangle folder

QuickStrike
01-29-14, 15:40
Maybe tape a block of wood to press down on the button for a few days or weeks?

Might take the edge off of the spring...

Campbell
01-29-14, 17:19
It will wear in with time/use...and this is the best way to do it imo. You could safely accelerate the process with Flitz or a similar compound. Be patient and leave your dremel in the tool box.:)

SteyrAUG
01-29-14, 18:13
I did a bunch of Bulgarian builds about 5 years ago and 75% of then needed a brass punch to depress the button and fold the stock. Eventually they all broke in without doing anything dramatic or stupid. In most cases shooting some Break Free in the works and then using a non marring object to punch the button, lock back up, re punch the button and repeat a few times.

JPB
01-29-14, 20:16
I just got one of these -34s too. It's the same way. Double thumb pressure usually releases it. I expect it to break I in due time. It's a cool friggin gun.

hogarth
01-30-14, 08:30
I have a poly on my SLR 107CR, and that thing is ridiculously tight. I have tried CLP, whacking it with a rubber mallet to release it over and over, etc., and it hasn't loosened at all yet. Hope it does with time.

prestonoconnor
01-30-14, 10:11
My 107 with the triangle folder is the same way. I am very tempted to try a few strokes with a file

Big Bronze Rim
01-30-14, 16:08
I did a bunch of Bulgarian builds about 5 years ago and 75% of then needed a brass punch to depress the button and fold the stock. Eventually they all broke in without doing anything dramatic or stupid. In most cases shooting some Break Free in the works and then using a non marring object to punch the button, lock back up, re punch the button and repeat a few times.

The two Bulgarians I built were the same way. I smoothed up both the stock and the catch without really removing much material and now, while it takes a pretty solid push, can be done with one hand.