PDA

View Full Version : Zastava M77/Saiga/Vepr options

Vintovka
01-29-14, 21:25
The NDM-86 deal I had lined up recently fell through. The seller backed out. So now I'm back in the eastern-bloc DMR market. Aside from scouring the used market, what could I expect from what's available new now? My biggest question is with regard to the furniture options available for each one in their .308/7.62x54r offerings. Could I get them looking decently like a Dragunov or at least a PSL? The purpose for the gun would be fun plinking out to around 400-500 yards at the most. Do the PSOP scopes fit on any/all of these rifles? Which of the three would likely be the best for accuracy and most importantly, to "restore" to military configuration?

And a side note, could someone give a few good reasons as to why the Zastava M91 isn't coming in with all the other Zastava products that have been flooding the market lately?

dragonbat13
02-10-14, 19:19
Of those three, the Vepr is the best way to go. At least that is what the general consesus is over at the AK files.

Look in their VEPR section.

The M77 is still a good deal though. With a simple weld up of the reciever to get rid of the slant back, you have a good foundation for a Tabuk Sniper in .308.

There is a company that is making the correct type of rear trunion for the Tabuk stock. Ironwood has the furniture.

Take a M77, correct the receiver, rivet the Tabuk trunion in place, and install the tabuk stock, and a Tabuk flash hider and you would have a killer ComBloc DMR rifle. Alot of money though. Especially if you have to farm out the work.

As for me, if I ever do a Commie DMR rifle, its gonna be built out of a VEPR. All Ruskie, and one of the highest quality foundations as far as AKM type rifles goes. At least for what you can get now.

Caliber? I say .308. But thats because I am getting into reloading. And from what I have read the .308 case is killer for reloaders.

If I were still blasting away with surplus ammo I would go 54R. Try to get the seventies and later surplus, and get ALOT. No telling whats gonna happen with surplus ammo. But the way things are going I just dont feel that the cost of the cheap ammo justifies the money that has to be spent to go with the AKM type platform.

HOWEVER, after awhile I am sure that another stamped reciever will wander into my house.