PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a long range upper...

Ron S.
05-18-08, 11:06
Hey there,

I'm basically looking for a 2nd upper for my Bushmaster that's a longer range (500-800 yds) that I can scope and get some real accuracy out of. I'm up for spending probably $1k max on it, since I still have to buy the scope for it. I'm looking at either a 20 or 24", I'd like it to have a rail on it ), and I wouldn't hate a stainless barrel. Now..I'm New York State, so that'll have to come into play.

So what's the best bet, that would fit tight on my Bushmaster lower? Oh, and if there's a full rifle that's not a whole lot more, I'd do that, too.

Thanks a lot for your help!

The Archangel
05-18-08, 11:38
Ron, try JTAC Supply. I purchased my 18" WOA upper with DD Lite rail, BCG (match CMT bolt) from there for $1083. They have a 20" SDM upper with 13.2 LT rail for $985. As far as a tight fit to your BM lower, that is not important. Get The Wedge if that will give you some perceived piece of mind.

Ron S.
05-18-08, 14:50
Not to sound like a girl, but if it's not a tight fit, won't I get carbon & other junk blowing all over me?

Ron S.
05-18-08, 14:54
Yeah, this one looks nice.

http://www.jtacsupply.com/20sdmar15upperreceiver.aspx

Now...that's not a removable suppressor/threaded barrel, is it?

Ron S.
05-18-08, 15:53
Alright, I'll give a little...

I want a 20-24" barrel, I want a full length rail, I want a 1:7 twist if possible, and a quality receiver. Let's say for now that I'm willing to spend more. Say $1,500. I just want something relatively spectacular. If it costs more, let me know, and tell me.

RD62
05-18-08, 16:01
Get this....

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u161556&cat=56&page=1&search=&since=&status=

-RD62

Ron S.
05-18-08, 16:05
yeah but it's got an auto bolt carrier. I can't have that. Also, isn't that flash hider removeable? Plus, it's a 16". I have a 16". I was hoping for the added stability and accuracy of a 20+.

Looks great, though, I must say.

theJanitor
05-18-08, 16:48
full auto carrier is fine to own. some ar's still come with full-auto BCG's

larue also sells a stealth in 20"

adco firearms sells the mk12 clone for $1570

Robb Jensen
05-18-08, 17:02
yeah but it's got an auto bolt carrier. I can't have that. Also, isn't that flash hider removeable? Plus, it's a 16". I have a 16". I was hoping for the added stability and accuracy of a 20+.

Looks great, though, I must say.

Who said so?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14534

Ron S.
05-18-08, 18:21
Who said so?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14534

My dealer said that it can be awfully incriminating to own any full auto components. He also said that, around here, I'm likely to be held, searched, and have my weapon inspected by police if I should be pulled over and they see my M4 in the backseat (even if in the case with a bolt clear flag in it, and no ammo in sight).

MassMark
05-18-08, 19:03
I guess err on the side of caution, but don;t believe everything your dealer tells you...By the way, here you go dude:

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/index.htm

Cold Zero
05-18-08, 19:09
What kind of range would a Noveski 16" 1 in 7 polygonal rifling barreled upper give him with 75 gr. Hornady?:confused:

Rik
05-18-08, 20:24
What kind of range would a Noveski 16" 1 in 7 polygonal rifling barreled upper give him with 75 gr. Hornady?:confused:
Poorly worded question, even a .22LR has a range of about 1.5 km.

Ron S.
05-18-08, 20:37

effective range, then.

Rik
05-18-08, 20:49
effective range, then.

I am going to assume terminal ballistic range. Highly related to bullet velocity and construction.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001244

batgeek
05-18-08, 20:57
My dealer said that it can be awfully incriminating to own any full auto components. He also said that, around here, I'm likely to be held, searched, and have my weapon inspected by police if I should be pulled over and they see my M4 in the backseat (even if in the case with a bolt clear flag in it, and no ammo in sight).

wow, i would move away from there ASAP.

Cold Zero
05-18-08, 21:27

A .50 BMG has a range of 1.5 miles or more.

O.K....., What would the max effective range be for the bullet and upper combo I mentioned, on an 8 M.O.A. (minute of man) target be?

Ron S.
05-18-08, 21:34
wow, i would move away from there ASAP.

I know it...it's just that there's lots of hicks and paranoid cops. My county (Tioga) has the worst drug problem per capita in NYS. I don't blame them for wanting to be awfully thorough and paranoid.

Paladin4415
05-18-08, 21:52
I know no one talks about them much, but you might take a look at what Les Baer is offering. He will build you an upper with an excellent barrel in your choice of length and twist rate for about $1200-$1300. You can get it with or without a railed forend and he's throws in a pretty good bi-pod.

Ron S.
05-18-08, 21:54
How might I contact this fella?

Zanshin
05-18-08, 22:01
I don't see the problem with a full auto bolt carrier in New York. I recently purchased a Colt M4 Match Target in New York which is pretty much a ban compliant Colt LE Carbine. Anyway, the M4 Match Target had a full auto BCG in it, and I bought it stock from the store. I think M16 BCGs are getting common among quality AR 15 uppers now.

Dom

Paladin4415
05-18-08, 22:06
How might I contact this fella?

www.lesbaer.com

Ron S.
05-18-08, 22:19
I'm liking the Ultimate AR .223 Super Match Model. Looks like just what I'm looking for.

Ron S.
05-18-08, 22:50
I wonder if I could get just the upper off that....it isn't listed anywhere.

KUmike
05-18-08, 23:09
I can't imagine that any LEO that knows the difference between a full auto BCG and an AR-15 BCG would ever give anyone a hard time about having a perfectly legal part. YMMV.

best,
Mike

Paladin4415
05-19-08, 01:44
I wonder if I could get just the upper off that....it isn't listed anywhere.

It's the same upper as the varmint, it just has a different handguard. If you ask, they will build it with the the railed one.

CarlosDJackal
05-19-08, 07:23
FWIW, I own a Bushmaster Varminter which comes with a 1:9-twist 24-inch fluted barrel that I have been extremely happy with. It likes the 75-grain round and I have used it to hit a 10-inch plate out to 926-yards.

Bushmaster also offers the 18-inch, 1:8-twist Predator which would better handle 77-grain ammo. Good luck!!

bohica
05-20-08, 19:16
The LaRue stealth uppers shoot pretty dam well from what i seen

Scooter-PIE
06-13-08, 02:38
How accurate do you want? A $1500 price limit for an upper puts just about anything in your reach. The barrel is what determines how accurate your rifle will be, but keep in mind most competitive shooters who get 1/2 MOA or lower reload to fine tune the ammo to the barrel. If you don't reload, then just about any medium or better quality barrel will shoot about the same. There are so many quality upper manufacturers: LaRue, White Oak, Noveske. Just pick the one that has the specs and price you are looking for.

That said, there are a different group of companies catering to DCM match shooters....the guys trying to wring every last bit of accuracy out of their ARs: Compass Lake, Krieger, Lilja, Douglas, etc. Virtually all these guys reload to take advantage of the fine barrels.

Although 1:7 twist rates are popular with the military, most of the aforementioned match shooters use 1:8 or 1:7.75 twist rates. The 1:8 works great for just about any weight bullet and the barrels last a little longer. Of course, stainless is the standard barrel material. You won't see any chrome-lined barrels on DCM guns. For what it's worth, I believe the current Marine Corps sniper AR is a 20" stainless Krieger barrel with 1:8 twist.

Another (minor) thing to consider, many DCM shooters do NOT put flash hiders on the barrel because it impacts accuracy(a little) and makes the crown difficult to clean and inspect. So, once again, it depends on what you mean buy "accurate."

I have a 16" LaRue Stealth(Lothar button-rifled) that shoots 3/4MOA with good factory ammo....that is fantastic. I also have a 20" Krieger barrel that also shoots 3/4MOA with factory ammo. Unless you reload, you won't notice much difference between a good barrel and a great barrel. Hope that helps.