PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Outlaws

wild_wild_wes
01-30-14, 22:14
Anyone watching this? It may be dramatized to some extent, but I thought it was interesting. These guys are using ARs as everyday weapons. The younger landowner guy had what looked like a high-quality build- hard to tell, but it looked like he had a Schmidt & Bender Short Dot, or some other similar 1-6.

GotAmmo
01-30-14, 22:25
you mean the guys out digging for gensing??

SilverBullet432
01-30-14, 22:38
??? Never heard of it.

wild_wild_wes
01-30-14, 22:45
you mean the guys out digging for gensing??

Yeah, that's the show.

Who knew gensing is valued at $1,000 per oz. So, it's no wonder guys are out there poaching it.

Avenger29
01-30-14, 23:11
Yeah, that's the show.

Who knew gensing is valued at $1,000 per oz. So, it's no wonder guys are out there poaching it.

I used to work at a park that had ginseng on the property. We had constant trouble with damn crazy hippies running into the woods to dig it up, which is of course illegal on park property. Them ****ers are nuts.

Scoby
01-31-14, 06:23
I watch it. Better than a lot of shows on the tube now. It's entertaining anyway.

The guy, forget his name, from Georgia that drives the red Ford Ranger is going to get his ass shot or at the very least, get a good beat down before it's over with.
One local even took him down the river to a "special spot" to hunt ginseng. Left him there and he had to hoof it out. "See ya Georgia!"

cqbdriver
01-31-14, 06:38
I hadn't heard of it until a couple months ago when some people were caught digging it up on my neighbor's land. They were out after midnight and got their truck stuck. A deputy saw the truck lights in the woods and caught them.

Neighbor didn't prosecute because he said that they'd burn his barn down. One guy did get arrested for violating a restraining order. His ex-wife was with him in the truck and she had a restraining order against him.

wild_wild_wes
01-31-14, 08:07
In the episode I watched, the poachers torched the land owner's pick-up. A landowner shot out the tires of a poacher's truck (with an AR). Serious business.

tb-av
01-31-14, 14:04
Yeah, that's the show.

Been that way... even the Asian markets that have the boxes of gensing.... the "good stuff" comes from USA for some reason. I recall reading that years ago when I was going to grow some.

markm
01-31-14, 14:23
These guys are using ARs as everyday weapons.

What else are they good for?... besides slapping on a tight satin shirt and running around like a match homo.

Campbell
01-31-14, 17:28
Have not seen the show, but 1000/oz sounds way off unless things have Really changed... Last I saw sell in TN was around 800/lb dried.

GotAmmo
01-31-14, 17:55
Have not seen the show, but 1000/oz sounds way off unless things have Really changed... Last I saw sell in TN was around 800/lb dried.

i skimmed and article from last year saying it went for 1k a lb for the US stuff. Supposedly we gots the good shiz, and china has been picked to extinction

Outlander Systems
01-31-14, 18:47
People still do that? At our farm growing up in TN, hillbillies would come out of the woodwork looking for it.

My buddy and I used to go hunting for it. I miss the sticks...

J-Dub
01-31-14, 20:34
Isnt it just more bogus fake reality tv like douche dynasty and that stupid moonshiner show?

Avenger29
01-31-14, 21:41
I hadn't heard of it until a couple months ago when some people were caught digging it up on my neighbor's land. They were out after midnight and got their truck stuck. A deputy saw the truck lights in the woods and caught them.

Neighbor didn't prosecute because he said that they'd burn his barn down. One guy did get arrested for violating a restraining order. His ex-wife was with him in the truck and she had a restraining order against him.

One of the big problems with trespassers/thieves/poachers in situations such as this, be it ginseng poaching, deer poaching, trespassing, tweakers stealing stuff, whatever, is that the criminals know that provided you don't get a wild hair and shoot them, they can get away with a lot. Destroying your property, killing your dogs, stealing your shit...all it gets you is a slap on the wrist when the popo hauls you away. Jail is a revolving door to these ****ers. My family has been fighting the tweakers for the past decade and playing the defense side is hard work with little rewards or accomplishment...I can't lay out every night with a rifle overlooking the remote part of the family property, much as I would love to be able to do so...I have to go to work the next day. All the damn thieves have to do is come when they want to and be gone by the time I find out.

Life would be a lot damn better if we could line these ****ers up alongside a hole and shoot them in the head. Dead thieves don't steal again...ever.