PDA

View Full Version : Lever Action Marlin, Henry or Rossi?

wingspar
01-31-14, 15:33
I have been wanting a lever action in .357 for a long time. When I started looking at them, Marlin 1894's could be had for $450. By now, everyone knows what happened to those prices. Gone to the ridiculous side. I allowed myself to get into a bidding war with a guy on GB for one last week. I bowed out at $995. He won it for $1000. This is one of the nicer pre-safety ones I’ve ever seen, and I almost wish I’d clicked on the $1,195 buy it now price.

Since the Marlins are so expensive and so hard to come by, I’m thinking it’s time to maybe consider something else, so I’m wondering what people think of the Henry’s and Rossi’s. I haven’t looked at GB for the Henry’s yet, but the Rossi’s seem to be selling for about $499 new. (An attractive price). Just returned from the LGS, and he says the Rossi’s are junk, but he also thinks the Marlins are junk.

So, what is the experience here between the Marlin, Henry, and Rossi?

uffdaphil
01-31-14, 16:39
I bought my Rossi 1892 .357 from a cowboy shooter smith (Ariz. if I recall) so it came with an optional action job. Money well spent. Lever can be worked with one finger. A joy to shoot too. Liked the concept of pistol caliber long gun so much that I also bought an IMI Timber Wolf pump gun.

I trust Marlin, just prefer the more traditional look of the Rossi. Henry turned me off with the gaudy "Golden Boy," but no opinion of their quality. A pre-64 Winchester is on my bucket list.

Bruce in WV
01-31-14, 22:44
Do some general reading at http://www.levergunscommunity.com/. Lots of threads relate to your question. Also look at the classifieds at sassnet.com, where the cowboy shooters sell their stuff. You don't have to be a member to buy there...

mark5pt56
02-01-14, 05:47
Here's a remlin

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rifles-sale-wanted/136653-fs-nib-marlin-1894cs-357-mag-38-spl.html

wingspar
02-01-14, 12:59
Here's a remlin

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rifles-sale-wanted/136653-fs-nib-marlin-1894cs-357-mag-38-spl.html

I saw that the other day and decided to pass because the photos are so horrible, but I just looked at again and sent him an offer via PM. Everything on GB is selling for more than that.

wingspar
02-01-14, 13:04
I bought my Rossi 1892 .357 from a cowboy shooter smith (Ariz. if I recall) so it came with an optional action job. Money well spent. Lever can be worked with one finger. A joy to shoot too. Liked the concept of pistol caliber long gun so much that I also bought an IMI Timber Wolf pump gun.

I trust Marlin, just prefer the more traditional look of the Rossi. Henry turned me off with the gaudy "Golden Boy," but no opinion of their quality. A pre-64 Winchester is on my bucket list.

Thanks for your input. I’m hearing so many negative and positive things about Rossi that I’m thinking I might be more comfortable putting out the extra cash for the Marlin, but at double the cost? I dunknow. :confused:

Do some general reading at http://www.levergunscommunity.com/. Lots of threads relate to your question. Also look at the classifieds at sassnet.com, where the cowboy shooters sell their stuff. You don't have to be a member to buy there...

Looked around on that site a little, and didn’t see anything. Is there more to that forum than General Discussion, Classifieds, and Politics if you are a member?

T2C
02-01-14, 13:14
I owned a Marlin 1894CB lever action rifle for a few years. It was well built and had a nice finish. It had acceptable accuracy with factory ammunition, but did not shoot very well with standard reloads. I learned the bore was sized .359 and I had to shoot oversize bullets to get it to group well. I sold it.

I picked up an EMF Hartford 1892 lever action rifle and I still have it. It had a strange looking safety on the bolt, which I replaced with a replacement plug that makes it look more like a traditional rifle. I also installed a metal follower. The rifle will groiup well with factory ammunition and grouped well with reloads that would not shoot well out of my Marlin. I can't speak about durability, because the rifle has less than 2,000 rounds through it.

If you buy the Marlin, go to the Beartooth Bullet website and read the article on how Marlin barrels are sized. That is what lead me to using oversized bullets for my reloads, which worked out. I did not shoot the oversized reloads in any of my .38 caliber handguns, because of excess leading.

Here is a link to a lever action gunsmith who also sells the safety replacement plug and metal follower. He has a good reputation. http://www.stevesgunz.com/

ThirdWatcher
02-02-14, 00:00
^^^ Thanks for the link, I'm always interested in improving my lever actions.

PriseDeFer
02-02-14, 13:21
Read somewhere not long ago that Marlin is gonna make more 94's. Don't know prices.

Bruce in WV
02-02-14, 15:48
Thanks for your input. I’m hearing so many negative and positive things about Rossi that I’m thinking I might be more comfortable putting out the extra cash for the Marlin, but at double the cost? I dunknow. :confused:

Looked around on that site a little, and didn’t see anything. Is there more to that forum than General Discussion, Classifieds, and Politics if you are a member?

There are close to 40,000 threads in the general discussion area. There are probably dozens that apply to your questions, but it may take a little effort. This is where many of the levergun community experts hang out, so your chances are pretty good that you can find what you want. Becoming a member doesn't cost you anything, you are allowed to post, and you can see pictures.

brickboy240
02-05-14, 15:54
Marlin. I have four of them and swear by Marlin lever actions.

-brickboy240

NWPilgrim
02-05-14, 19:46
I bought a Marlin 1894 several months back in .44 mag. It shoots very well with the same 240 gr handloads as my S&W M29. So I am happy with it.

mark5pt56
02-06-14, 06:21
I to have an older Marlin 1894, just got done developing a pair of loads for both the 1894 and SW Mountain. Loads of fun and to hunt with(240 LSWC and Hornady XTP)

brickboy240
02-06-14, 10:49
Both of my Marlin 1894s (44 and 357) are earlier ones without the crossbolt safety. My Marlin 39 22LR is also without the crossbolt safety and an earlier model.

Fantastic rifles...I'd never sell them...ever.

-brickboy240

GotAmmo
02-06-14, 12:55

Planning to go this route???

mark5pt56
02-06-14, 17:08

Planning to go this route???

Oh my----------

wingspar
02-18-14, 23:14
Well, I did it. I took possession of a NIB “Remlin” 1894 in .357 today. I wanted an older JM stamped 1894, but after 2 ½ years of rising prices and disappointment with guns selling so high, I found this one on another forum. The day after I sent the money, I found a new Rossi in .357 in a store south of here for $407. I paid thru the nose for the Marlin, but it’s done. I didn’t even ask to look at the Rossi.

Gale force wind and rain will prevent me from shooting the gun for a few days, but it did not prevent me from taking some photos. It’s been a very long wait, but I finally have one in my hands. I have never shot a lever gun before, but I’ve been wanting one for years. It’s not the prettiest wood, but it is what it is. I have a S&W Model 19 in .357 that I bought back in 1984 and I’m on the hunt for a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. When I find one of those, my .357 collection will be complete... I hope.

Of course some photos. Now, it is a Remlin, but it seems to be well made. None of the nasty cosmetic things that I’ve read about the Remlins so much that I can find. A couple of photos.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/154543925/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/154543928/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/154543929/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/154543936/original.jpg

The rest of the photos can be seen here (http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/marlin_1894).

mark5pt56
02-19-14, 07:02
Nice! The two main issues I had on my 1895 where the front sight was off center and had red loctite holding it on/in as it had only one turn of threads. and the loading gate border was finger cutting sharp. The loading gate was an easy fix. The front sight was corrected by Mr. Smith among other tune up/repair/finish items.

Nice little carbine, you will enjoy I'm sure.

wingspar
02-19-14, 12:42
I don’t have any snap caps and don’t want to mess with loading live rounds in the house, but it does look like I might have the sharp edges on the loading gate. Hope not, but it shouldn’t be that hard to fix. Front sight looks fine. Only thing that is bugging me is that the trigger just flops around loosely whether the gun is cocked or not and the trigger is a little gritty and not possible to tell when it is going to break.

This could be the gun that gets me into reloading. .357 is very hard to find and very expensive, so it looks like it might be fun to start reloading for .357. We have two .357 handguns in the house, tho neither of us enjoys the .357 in a handgun all that much, and I want to add a Ruger Blackhawk, so the .357 could become my most shot cartridge behind the 9mm. I just can’t afford the price of factory .357, and it is hard to find, so the 1894 just might be the gun that gets me into reloading.

mark5pt56
02-19-14, 13:51
Is it the recoil of the .357? or just the cringe of "there goes another xx when pulling the trigger? You can also load .38's to run in the .357, helps a lot if recoil is the issue. Or just load lighter .357's. Then someone will come along and balk at "not being used to recoil" garbage if running lighter loads. Just put the cross bolt safety on and cycle some outside in a safe direction-you'll be fine.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/polishing-tuning-your-levergun/

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/

wahoo95
02-19-14, 14:39
357 in a lever gun has practically zero recoil. Tons of fun! Recently sold a JM marked Marlin cause I needed some money fast. Sure wish I had it back.

mark5pt56
02-19-14, 15:13
357 in a lever gun has practically zero recoil. Tons of fun! Recently sold a JM marked Marlin cause I needed some money fast. Sure wish I had it back.

Think he's referring to the revolver.

wingspar
02-20-14, 11:53
Is it the recoil of the .357? or just the cringe of "there goes another xx when pulling the trigger? You can also load .38's to run in the .357, helps a lot if recoil is the issue. Or just load lighter .357's. Then someone will come along and balk at "not being used to recoil" garbage if running lighter loads. Just put the cross bolt safety on and cycle some outside in a safe direction-you'll be fine.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/polishing-tuning-your-levergun/

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/

The recoil and report of .357 in a revolver stops being fun after 10-15 rounds. Some days it’s no fun at all.

Actually, I’d gone thru those threads a few days ago.

Think he's referring to the revolver.

Yes, revolver. I’ve never shot .357 in anything but a revolver. I expect the .357 to be a lot of fun in the 1894, hence the main reason I’m seriously considering reloading for the first time in my 67 years.

mark5pt56
02-20-14, 16:33
I think it would be worth your while to reload, it does allow you to tailor your loads accordingly. Full house .357's can be a handful, I have one that I swear is over(when I pull the trigger), but it's well within(relative) safe pressure. I don't see a need to run them full tilt when you are trying to learn and have fun at it. Double hearing helps with the concussion, it's not a natural feeling and one can develop a flinch from it.

wingspar
02-24-14, 14:40
I think it would be worth your while to reload, it does allow you to tailor your loads accordingly. Full house .357's can be a handful, I have one that I swear is over(when I pull the trigger), but it's well within(relative) safe pressure. I don't see a need to run them full tilt when you are trying to learn and have fun at it. Double hearing helps with the concussion, it's not a natural feeling and one can develop a flinch from it.

I am seriously considering reloading for .357. I’ve been doing some research, and the Dillon 550 is on top of the list. Still considering the Square Deal B, but what ever I get, it will be Dillon. Components except for powder are readily available. When I can find some powder, I’ll probably get some, then proceed with bullets, primers, then make the decision on a press.

I’ve had my Marlin 1894 in .357 out to the range a couple of times and have 165 rounds thru it. The American Eagle in .357 158 Gr has more kick to it than .223 thru my AR. Shooting .38 Specials thru it is ok, but I loose accuracy with the .38's.

thopkins22
02-24-14, 15:17
I am seriously considering reloading for .357. I’ve been doing some research, and the Dillon 550 is on top of the list. Still considering the Square Deal B, but what ever I get, it will be Dillon.

Thinking blue means you're 90% of the way there...but just get the 550B. Chances are that you'll wind up loading at least one or two rifle cartridges, and versatility is where the 550 shines. There are better presses for specific things(with the exception of some very nice single stages they're all made by Dillon) but nothing is a one stop shop/if you're only going to own one/etc... like the 550B. It's fast enough that you can make all that you need, simple enough that you can understand exactly what's going on when you're first starting, built like a tank, easy to convert between calibers, cranks out amazingly accurate ammunition if your recipe is good, and on and on.

mark5pt56
02-24-14, 15:40
Don't take this the wrong way, but you must be really recoil sensitive. Get a nice recoil pad on the Marlin so you can enjoy it more. If you are not using this to hunt deer size game at short distance(100 or less) and just to plink around with, just load some mild-mid level loads in the .357. Go to http://www.hodgdon.com/ and look at the various data on the .357, you can get that down to a pop gun.

wingspar
02-25-14, 11:10
Thinking blue means you're 90% of the way there...but just get the 550B. Chances are that you'll wind up loading at least one or two rifle cartridges, and versatility is where the 550 shines. There are better presses for specific things(with the exception of some very nice single stages they're all made by Dillon) but nothing is a one stop shop/if you're only going to own one/etc... like the 550B. It's fast enough that you can make all that you need, simple enough that you can understand exactly what's going on when you're first starting, built like a tank, easy to convert between calibers, cranks out amazingly accurate ammunition if your recipe is good, and on and on.

I am leaning towards the 550 at this point in time, but what ever I end up with, it will be a Dillon.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you must be really recoil sensitive. Get a nice recoil pad on the Marlin so you can enjoy it more. If you are not using this to hunt deer size game at short distance(100 or less) and just to plink around with, just load some mild-mid level loads in the .357. Go to http://www.hodgdon.com/ and look at the various data on the .357, you can get that down to a pop gun.

I am a little recoil sensitive, but the 1894 in .357 isn’t bad. It’s more than I was expecting, and I was surprised that it had more recoil than .223 thru my AR. I’ve shot a lot of 7.62x54R thru my Mosin M 38 lately, and the 1894 recoil is nonexistent in comparison to the Mosin.

When I had it to the range a couple of days ago, I got it sighted in nicely with the .357's, but accuracy went all to rat piles with .357 cowboy loads and .38 Specials, which made going back to the .357's more fun, cause it’s not as much fun when you can’t hit what you are aiming at. That range trip depleted my .357 stash, actually, it was from my other half’s stash cause I didn’t have any, but I just had 200 rounds delivered yesterday, and 250 more rounds shipped yesterday. It’s an ammo I’ve never shot in .357, but have shot their ammo in 9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP and .223 and the price is right. Am looking forward to loading my own. Not sure when that is going to happen, but soon I hope.

brickboy240
02-26-14, 10:22
The recoil out of my 357 Marlin 1894 is very mild...even with hotter loads.

I also think the recoil on my 44 mag 1894 is also very tolerable. Less than any 30-30 Marlin 336 I have ever shot.

If you can handle bolt guns in the 223/243 range...the 357 or 44 Marlins should not harm you at all.

-brickboy240

fmiq
02-27-14, 08:53
If you can find a Marlin 336 44 Magnum. GTG

Ttwwaack
03-09-14, 10:10
Whooo - Hoo. Got confirmation yesturday from my FFL a Winnie 92 in 357 is headed my way and will be here Thursday. I have been researching and chasing this one since September and the stars finally aligned. I almost faltered and hit the easy button for a Marlin which is another quality piece, but was looking to add a 92 style action to the collection to go with a Winnie 94 Trapper in 45 Colt.

M90A1
04-13-14, 16:48
I don’t have any snap caps and don’t want to mess with loading live rounds in the house, but it does look like I might have the sharp edges on the loading gate. Hope not, but it shouldn’t be that hard to fix. Front sight looks fine. Only thing that is bugging me is that the trigger just flops around loosely whether the gun is cocked or not and the trigger is a little gritty and not possible to tell when it is going to break.

A little late, but you can get rid of the "Marlin flop" in the trigger with one of these. And do they ever work!!

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/triggers/trigger-happy-kit-prod16630.aspx

Cokeman
04-13-14, 21:37
A little late, but you can get rid of the "Marlin flop" in the trigger with one of these. And do they ever work!!

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/triggers/trigger-happy-kit-prod16630.aspx

Tell us more.

Trifecta
04-13-14, 22:10
A JM stamped, pre remlin Marlin is a wonderful piece of work. Easy to work on, accurate and beautiful to look at.

wingspar
04-13-14, 22:41

I found out about that trigger very soon after I bought the gun. I haven’t decided if I want to spend the $90 for the trigger, or live with what I have. In use, I never noticed the trigger flop, but the trigger isn’t all that good. If I bought that WW trigger, it would be for the improved trigger break rather than the flop. I understand the WW trigger still has some flop, but nothing like the Marlin trigger. All I’ve done so far is just have fun with it, but it has gone back to Marlin for timing problems with the carrier. A well known problem. Apparently, Remlin is well aware of the issue, but continues to use old stock in hopes that problems won’t develop. At exactly 450 rounds, the carrier jammed so bad, I had to take the spring out of the magazine tube to take the pressure off the rounds in the tube so I could unload it. I could not shoot it after that. They’ve had it 3 weeks now, and are waiting for a new carrier. I just hope it doesn’t take them months just to get the part in.

M90A1
04-13-14, 23:59
I found out about that trigger very soon after I bought the gun. I haven’t decided if I want to spend the $90 for the trigger, or live with what I have. In use, I never noticed the trigger flop, but the trigger isn’t all that good. If I bought that WW trigger, it would be for the improved trigger break rather than the flop. I understand the WW trigger still has some flop, but nothing like the Marlin trigger. All I’ve done so far is just have fun with it, but it has gone back to Marlin for timing problems with the carrier. A well known problem. Apparently, Remlin is well aware of the issue, but continues to use old stock in hopes that problems won’t develop. At exactly 450 rounds, the carrier jammed so bad, I had to take the spring out of the magazine tube to take the pressure off the rounds in the tube so I could unload it. I could not shoot it after that. They’ve had it 3 weeks now, and are waiting for a new carrier. I just hope it doesn’t take them months just to get the part in.

I have never heard of a WW trigger that had any flop. The sear and trigger are mounted on a common pin and there is a small spring between the two which negates any flop. Plus, it reduces the trigger pull substantially. It really is good.

wingspar
04-14-14, 10:20
I have never heard of a WW trigger that had any flop. The sear and trigger are mounted on a common pin and there is a small spring between the two which negates any flop. Plus, it reduces the trigger pull substantially. It really is good.

There is a lot of experience with the WW trigger in the Marlin Owners Forum, and there seems to be a consensus that there is more flop with the WW trigger than most are used to, but nothing like the “Marlin Flop”. Saying the WW trigger has a little play instead of flop might be a better description. As I said, if I get the WW trigger, it will be for the improved trigger pull, not because of the “Marlin Flop” which isn’t even noticeable to me anymore. The trigger pull with the stock trigger is nothing to write home about.

M90A1
04-14-14, 13:54
There is a lot of experience with the WW trigger in the Marlin Owners Forum, and there seems to be a consensus that there is more flop with the WW trigger than most are used to, but nothing like the “Marlin Flop”. Saying the WW trigger has a little play instead of flop might be a better description. As I said, if I get the WW trigger, it will be for the improved trigger pull, not because of the “Marlin Flop” which isn’t even noticeable to me anymore. The trigger pull with the stock trigger is nothing to write home about.

Yeah, that's where I got my information before buying the WW trigger for my 1894 Marlin. The general consensus over there is more like:

Actually I think the Wild West trigger is still two piece. But the pieces are held apart by a spring. So it removes the flop but is still two piece.

and:

I have installed WWG Happy Triggers on three Marlins. The trigger pull was reduced from
6-1/2 lbs with creep to a crisp 2-1/4 to 3-1/2 lbs. After the first time, the job took about 10 minutes. Eliminating trigger flop is a bonus, but doesn't affect performance.

The Marlin flop is caused by the trigger and sear being two piece and free to rotate on a common pin. When the sear is engaged with the hammer, the trigger is free to float, causing the flop. While the WW trigger is still two piece, the small spring between the two puts tension on them, thus not allowing the trigger to flop freely. There is no flop, NONE! When the hammer is in the fired position, there is some movement you can force on the trigger backwards, but it is under spring tension and will return to a neutral position when you let it go, like a typical two-stage trigger. When the hammer is cocked, there is no free movement of the trigger whatsoever. It works like the single piece trigger that was used in Marlins before lawyers got involved in the design.

OH58D
05-17-14, 14:50
I haven't seen mention of the Henry Big Boy in .357 so I'll give you my input. I got mine last year as a companion to my 1984 Smith & Wesson Model 66. I have put around 500 rounds of 158 gr .357 through it and about a 100 rounds of .38 special. No issues whatsoever and I am very pleased with the purchase. So far with that rifle I have taken a wild Javalina using the 158 grain bullet. That was a larger than normal critter weighing in a 86 lbs.

My other main lever action rifle is a 1949 Winchester Model 94 "Flatband" model in 30-30.

yellowfin
07-16-14, 08:56
I bought a Marlin 1894 several months back in .44 mag. It shoots very well with the same 240 gr handloads as my S&W M29. So I am happy with it.What's the OAL you're using for that in the Marlin? I'm told that some are picky on bullet profile and length. I've been reading up on handloads and seeing for the same bullet lengths of 1.605, 1.620, and 1.645.

Averageman
07-17-14, 09:00
I was amazingly bored while working overseas and looked in to Marlins. I had my brother find my a Marlin 39 SC that had been very badly damaged from a hunter dropping it from horseback and it ending up 100 yds down a canyon. I guess the guy felt so bad about it he hid the thing in the back of his clost for 20 years.
Both the stock and the barrel were damaged, but I bought it sight unseen and had the barrel cut back to 16" and the front sight put back on. When I got home I tried to repair the stock, but ended up cutting an inch off of it. The end result was a heck of a handy little gun the was loud as a cannon.
It shoots accurately, looks pretty cool and is a dream to handle. I later gifted it to my Mother for home defence, if that thing doesn't kill you the muzzle flash and Boom will leave you deaf, dumb and blind.