PDA

View Full Version : Shop services needed

redhands
02-01-14, 19:44
I have a 14.5" Noveske LW basic upper with a pinned smith vortex and I want to shave the FSB.
The upper is unmolested from Noveske and was bought pre-2013.
I am planning to retain the GI barrel nut and replace the factory plastic with a Troy alpha rail.

I can't find anyone willing to do the work without un-pinning the flash hider and would like to avoid that if at all possible.

The idea is to build something that both my daughter and wife feel comfortable shooting with and the factory plastic guards don't do it for either of them.

Dead Man
02-01-14, 19:52
People likely don't want to be responsible for nicking the barrel. How many shops have you tried? I'm sure someone out there would be willing to add a few wraps of masking tape to the barrel to shield against an errant cutting wheel dip.

You could do it yourself. It's not hard, nor dangerous, if you take your time and do a proper job of it.

Cincinnatus
02-01-14, 20:31
Have you tried ADCO?

GotAmmo
02-01-14, 20:50
Have you tried ADCO?

adco requires removal of the FSB to do the shaving. Stated on site

discreet
02-01-14, 23:44
I have a 14.5" Noveske LW basic upper with a pinned smith vortex and I want to shave the FSB.
The upper is unmolested from Noveske and was bought pre-2013.
I am planning to retain the GI barrel nut and replace the factory plastic with a Troy alpha rail.

I can't find anyone willing to do the work without un-pinning the flash hider and would like to avoid that if at all possible.

The idea is to build something that both my daughter and wife feel comfortable shooting with and the factory plastic guards don't do it for either of them.

Just do it yourself :) There are a few threads around here regarding shaving the FSB without removing or unpinning it. A few bucks for a dremel and an afternoon is all you will need. IMO if you can strip and clean your gun, you shouldn't have an issue shaving an FSB either.

redhands
02-01-14, 23:53
ADCO was my first choice and is the only shop that offers the service that I can find. I have used them in the past and trust their work.
As mentioned they require removal of the FH. I have cut down a FSB in the past and functionally it works but aesthetically I am unhappy with the finish.
I would rather have a professional do the work. I am ok with a nick in the barrel and even the loss of a flash hider. I just do not want to screw with the crown or cut the barrel.

discreet
02-01-14, 23:58
ADCO was my first choice and is the only shop that offers the service that I can find. I have used them in the past and trust their work.
As mentioned they require removal of the FH. I have cut down a FSB in the past and functionally it works but aesthetically I am unhappy with the finish.
I would rather have a professional do the work. I am ok with a nick in the barrel and even the loss of a flash hider. I just do not want to screw with the crown or cut the barrel.

Wait, your going to cover it up with a rail and your worried with how it will look?

If your that worried use the money you'd spend on it to get all the propert dremel attachments, shave and smoothen it out, then buff it smooth and finish it.

Dead Man
02-02-14, 00:16

They don't need to screw with the crown or cut the barrel... they just remove the muzzle device

redhands
02-02-14, 01:40
What I mean is that I care about the appearance of the finish on the metal because I don't want rust. My own attempts at refinishing could be duplicated with a blunt sharpie and I am not interested in repeating the lesson. The aesthetics don't go any farther than that.
I am going to send it to ADCO. They can mill the FH off, shave the FSB, and re-pin a new flash hider since I have a spare. After reading their description it doesn't look like they get very far into the threads during the removal and will stay off of the crown. It will get parkerized properly. Done.

Everybody has a lot in life. Mine is impatience.

MistWolf
02-02-14, 01:54
It's very improbable anything will happen to your crown, but even if it did, it will be a simple matter for ADCO to fix it. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to have them look at it while they're in there and touch it up. It can only help your accuracy

Iraqgunz
02-02-14, 02:04
Well then we'll close this. Advice was given, do what you need to do.