PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45c FTF

StateSideCope
02-01-14, 23:13
I had several FTF stoppages at the range today. Several with loading a new round (seemed to be one after the other in succession), and one during a string of fire. After this round of stoppages, the rest of the session went off without a hitch. I was using Winchester ammo. Question is could this be ammo related, weapon, or operator error? Should I be looking polishing of the feed ramp or maybe a spring issue?

bluejackets92fs
02-02-14, 00:04
Magazines would be a good place to start. Mark your magazines and see if the problem is occurring with a certain magazine.

StateSideCope
02-02-14, 07:53
Thanks bluejackets. I'll do that and see if anything comes of it.

SiGfever
02-02-14, 10:06
How many rounds does the pistol have down range, and how long have you been shooting? Also buy a box of a little higher quality ammo and see how it goes.

StateSideCope
02-02-14, 12:50
I bought the pistol used so I don't know how many rounds were put through it before I got it, but I have put around 600 through it. I have been shooting since I was 10 so we are looking at 24 years of trigger time, but this the my first Semi-Auto pistol I have owned.

masakari
02-02-14, 13:01
I have two M&P45s, a fullsize and a compact. Both of them have failures to feed with Federal HST because the case rim is thicker, and it has trouble getting under the extractor.
It might get better with time, but check your case rims and compare thickness, it might give you some clues.
Mine are flawless with all other ammo fired, only HSTs give me issues.

StateSideCope
02-02-14, 13:30
This stoppage is the first real problem I have had. I do like the way I shoot with this pistol. It was just a little frustrating in this 2 or 3 mins of trouble. I am going to mark my mags, and watch the ammo a little closer. Thanks for the replys!

Fett85
02-02-14, 17:21
I would check mags and as previously mentioned mark them to see if there is a pattern, had to do this with a problem mag in my M&P 40 a few weeks ago and cleaning solved it. Then I would check the extractor for burs. Finally I would replace the recoil spring if necessary.

William B.
02-02-14, 17:51
Finally I would replace the recoil spring if necessary.

You may want to go ahead and do this for good measure since you don't how the previous owner took care of this firearm or what its round count is.

StateSideCope
02-02-14, 18:19
So I just checked the recoil spring and this now brings up another question. There is really no compression when installing or removing the spring. It just kinda falls in place. Should there be some compression during this operation?

Fett85
02-02-14, 19:06
I would replace it, on my 2 guns in hand there is slight compression. Other M&P'a I have handled also have slight compression. If you order a new one I would just get 2, peace of mind type thing.

masakari
02-03-14, 20:17
So I just checked the recoil spring and this now brings up another question. There is really no compression when installing or removing the spring. It just kinda falls in place. Should there be some compression during this operation?

the older M&Ps were like this. More recent ones have a slightly longer spring if I remember correctly.

StateSideCope
02-03-14, 21:12
Yeah. With the spring installed the barrel would shake back and forth, I pull the spring back out and streched it slightly. Once I reinstalled it the shake was gone. Now I am working on finding a couple replacements.

ypd260
02-04-14, 20:01
Replace the spring, try a new magazine, and keep the same rounds. That way you will know if it is s the rounds or gun. Maybe work the slide a little.