PDA

View Full Version : homeowner kiils one of two breaking into his house

platoonDaddy
02-02-14, 08:05
-
The NRA has produced an interview and reenactment of the shooting that occurred in Calvert County, Maryland on 31 March 2013. July of 2013 the Calvert County State’s Attorney’s Office declined to prosecute homeowner (retired LEO).

He used a Walther PPK at the front door striking the perp four times (one to his left chest, two to his left arm and one “graze wound” to his left, lower chest). The two perp's turned and ran down the driveway, so he fired his gun again running out off ammo. He then retrieves a Glock 9mm from his hall closet and then went back outside. He saw one person “collapsed on the front lawn,” went over “to cover him” and heard a car start, the report states. The car was driving back toward him he “fired at the vehicle several times” before it drove away. What the reenactment didn't talk about: one of his rounds at the fleeting vehicle lodged in his neighbors house.

When he retired from Metropolitan (DC Police force), he worked on our security staff for awhile. Upon reading about the incident, I thought for sure he was heading off to jail for pursuing the threat outside of his house. Quote from County State's Attorney: “Should Mr. Taylor have simply shut his front door after the initial confrontation, contact the police, and not continue onto the front lawn? Perhaps. However, the law did not require him to do so,” Martin wrote in the report. “… Until he could be absolutely certain the threat had been contained, the law allows him to pursue his assailants until the threat to him, or other family members and his property is neutralized.”

Court case Law v. State notes that if necessary, a person “may even pursue the assailant until he finds himself or his property out of danger…” Martin states in the opinion.

Local papers played up the point the County State's Attorney is a "R" and the county is rural & conservative.

NRA reenactment:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/w8Sbf_piIQQ?feature=player_detailpage

Article on state not prosecuting:
http://www.somdnews.com/article/20130711/NEWS/130719625/state-not-prosecuting-huntingtown-homeowner-in-self-defense-shooting&template=southernMaryland

Voodoo_Man
02-02-14, 08:37
It has always been perfectly reasonable to follow or chase someone out of your home/business, even if you have had a deadly force encounter or a discharge of a firearm. After all, you have to be sure they are not simply going outside to get their buddies or other weapons from their vehicle in order to come back and finish the job. No where does it say or hint that you have hide from them or that you need to not pursue. You simply should not consider shooting people in the back running away, as it has been found in different court cases that those actions go beyond the scope of defense.

BBossman
02-02-14, 09:25
The Calvert County State’s Attorney’s opinion best represents the dichotomy between the Washington, DC and Baltimore metropolitan suburbs and the Western and Southern Maryland counties. Unfortunately for us, the suburbs hold the political high ground.

Avenger29
02-02-14, 13:21
This is just such a sad story...

Sad that he didn't get the other one!

T2C
02-02-14, 13:39
Thank you. This incident will provide additional teaching material.

On another note, if a stray round hit my house under these circumstances I would tell my neighbor right away to not worry about it.

Moose-Knuckle
02-03-14, 03:03
Yeah, too bad the other one got away. And too bad the home owner didn't have his GLOCK to begin with otherwise he probably would have dispatched them both, higher magazine capacity, better caliber, and all.

Caduceus
02-03-14, 15:13
Thank you. This incident will provide additional teaching material.

On another note, if a stray round hit my house under these circumstances I would tell my neighbor right away to not worry about it.

assuming, of course, no one was hurt. I'd be pretty livid if he tagged my dog, or worse, my kid or wife.

T2C
02-03-14, 23:28
assuming, of course, no one was hurt. I'd be pretty livid if he tagged my dog, or worse, my kid or wife.

Agreed. I would be greatly concerned if a family member was hit by a stray round.

If all I had was a little damage to the house, I would take care of it myself and be grateful the two home invaders did not appear at my door instead of the neighbor's.