PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on what's next

Stubby
02-02-14, 15:40
I'm a college student on a limited budget, I'm planning on selling or trading my FNX 9mm but I'm not sure exactly what I want, I already have a glock 17 and 19 and I would like to get either a 9mm or a 45acp, I want to be able to conceal it in an IWB holster at either an appendix carry or at the 3 o'clock position, what would you all recommend? I do like glock and Smith&Wesson, there are just so many models I'm not sure what one is best and that's why I'm here to ask for advice!
Thank you in advance
Stubby

Quack
02-02-14, 15:43
G19 and 17 is what I carry AIWB, so I would use one of these since you have them. I also AIWB a full size M&P-9.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

shutup&shoot
02-02-14, 15:44
Have you looked at the Shield yet?

Stubby
02-02-14, 15:48
I don't know if it was the shield but I did look at the m&p9c and I did like that.

Quack
02-02-14, 15:50
If it only held 7-8 rounds of 9mm, it was a shield

Stubby
02-02-14, 16:05
What would you recommend, the m&p shield or a subcompact glock model?

Quack
02-02-14, 16:06
Which ever feels better for you. Personally, I don't care for subcompact guns.

Stubby
02-02-14, 16:10
Which ever feels better for you. Personally, I don't care for subcompact guns.

Well if I am a thin guy, concealing a full size pistol is difficult for me, if I was going to Cary full size I would open carry because Kansas allows it.

Quack
02-02-14, 16:14
165#, 32" waist and the largest guns I carry are a 5" 2011 (double stack 1911) with no issue. I've even carried a 6" 1911, just to do it. I only carry IWB.

SiGfever
02-02-14, 16:49
G26 in a Fist #1AK "thin kydex" IWB holster at 3:30-4:00. It is my EDC and very comfortable (I am wearing it now). I also have a G19 with the same holster and could have used my G19 holster for both. The little G26 never stops amazing me about how easy it is to shoot and the accuracy of it. Plus you can use your G19 mags. just my $.015

Stubby
02-02-14, 17:10
I like that I could use my g19 and g17 mags at the range so I don't have to reload so much, I'll go try one out for size in my hand tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Piston10
02-02-14, 17:17
What would you recommend, the m&p shield or a subcompact glock model?

The glock. I say that because you already have glocks that can interchange parts if needed. The mags will also interchange, and the capacity is better in the 26 vs the shield.

Outlander Systems
02-02-14, 19:38
Glock 26 or a Backup G19....

EvilBetty
02-03-14, 00:31
Well if I am a thin guy, concealing a full size pistol is difficult for me, if I was going to Cary full size I would open carry because Kansas allows it.

LOL trust me it's harder for a big guy to conceal a gun then a thin guy. Unless all that big guys fat is kept in his upper back and chest. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking out against open carry, but I what I always suggest is this. If you're job allows you to open carry, then open carry all day, and wear a jacket when appropriate. If not, consider concealed carry your primary method.

warpedcamshaft
02-03-14, 07:46
If you feel the need to go smaller than the 19, then I would get the 26 for sure. All of your mags will fit, and there are a lot of holsters that fit all 3 frame sizes...

There are a lot of other choices out there, but it is hard for me to get away from the glock series simply because of logistics. (The m&p is another good example with a fullsize/compact combo)

G19A3
02-04-14, 07:29

Considering the above...I would get rid of the FNX and the G17.

Pick up a G26 and an extra G19. Able to use the same spare parts and mags.

BTW, why don't you like the FNX?

Stubby
02-04-14, 08:05
I got the fnx on trade after getting rid of my g17 gen 3 because I had a gen 4 also, there is really nothing wrong with the FNX, it's a quality pistol but if I just want some change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpeezy
02-04-14, 10:24
I think everyone should have a quality selection of 9mm and 45acp guns. If you dead set on conceal carry G30/S, or a G21/41 for full size. I have both and they are great guns, I've carried the same 21 at work for 8 years and after 1000's of rounds it's been flawless minus routine maintenance. Good luck.

Stubby
02-04-14, 10:26
For full size 45acp's I have my 1911's , I found a g 26 gen 4 in FDE and I might get it sometime this week

pat701
02-04-14, 10:52
Just take a look at a Sig SP2022 in 9mm. IMHO it is a best buy, if you can get one in the low $400 price range. I like DA/SA pistols.

okie john
02-04-14, 11:01
I'm a college student on a limited budget, I'm planning on selling or trading my FNX 9mm but I'm not sure exactly what I want, I already have a glock 17 and 19 and I would like to get either a 9mm or a 45acp, I want to be able to conceal it in an IWB holster at either an appendix carry or at the 3 o'clock position, what would you all recommend? I do like glock and Smith&Wesson, there are just so many models I'm not sure what one is best and that's why I'm here to ask for advice!
Thank you in advance
Stubby

Choose the one you shoot best and sell the other two. Use that money plus what you were going to spend on a new pistol to buy

a spare of the pistol that you keep
a top-drawer holster (Raven, Shaggy, Secret City, Dale Fricke, etc.)
10-20 spare mags and 2 sets of other spare parts (RSA, various springs, etc.)
a boatload of ammo
classes from Pat McNamara, Larry Vickers, Kyle DeFoor, Paul Howe, and/or Ken Hackathorn
good hand-held light and WML

You already have at least three superb pistols, and all of those things are more important than adding a new one.

Okie John

Stubby
02-04-14, 11:06
My logic is sometimes I don't Cary the g19 or the FN every day because of size/ weight, I would rather have a small carry gun every day than my g19 every other day, know what I mean?

okie john
02-04-14, 11:18
My logic is sometimes I don't Cary the g19 or the FN every day because of size/ weight, I would rather have a small carry gun every day than my g19 every other day, know what I mean?

Yes, I do.

The problem is that on paper the G26 looks like a good choice over the G19, but in reality it's not that much smaller or lighter than the G19. Plus just as thick and it's stubby, both of which make it harder to conceal.

It's amazing how you can conceal a G19 with good carry gear. What kind of belt and holster are you running right now?

Okie John

Stubby
02-04-14, 11:20
Yes, I do.

The problem is that on paper the G26 looks like a good choice over the G19, but in reality it's not that much smaller or lighter than the G19. Plus just as thick and it's stubby, both of which make it harder to conceal.

It's amazing how you can conceal a G19 with good carry gear. What kind of belt and holster are you running right now?

Okie John

A hidden hybrid holster I got it from their site http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com

okie john
02-04-14, 11:59
A hidden hybrid holster I got it from their site http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com

They look like nice rigs, but that doesn't mean they'll work for everyone.

If you can't conceal a G19 in a specific holster, then try a different holster instead of a different pistol. Look at it this way: if you try a new pistol, then you have to buy a holster for it, so skip the buy-a-new-pistol step and go straight to the new holster.

You can probably find used holsters by all of the makers in my earlier post on EE.

Make sense?

Also, what belt are you using?

Okie John

Stubby
02-04-14, 12:07
I wear either a Blackhawk or a 5:11 gun belt

Father of 3
02-04-14, 12:24
You need something that you will carry 100% of the time. No gun will do you any good if its at home or in the car. Get the largest gun you will carry on you all the time. Or take a class as others have suggested. That may change your mindset to where comfort is less important.

johnson
02-05-14, 01:32
Either a Shield (which you can get for <$400) or chop the G19 grip to G26 size.

kevN
02-15-14, 12:05
The 26 can be more comfortable to carry than a 19 mostly just the weight vs the dimensions of the pistol. If you are having issues concealing a 19 it's probably because you haven't found the right holster for you.

That said, the shield or walther pps are going to be the most concealable 9mms available.

Stubby
02-15-14, 15:02
The 26 can be more comfortable to carry than a 19 mostly just the weight vs the dimensions of the pistol. If you are having issues concealing a 19 it's probably because you haven't found the right holster for you.

That said, the shield or walther pps are going to be the most concealable 9mms available.

I don't have a problem concealing a g19 I'm thinking of getting another and pimping it out

big_pErm
02-16-14, 07:09
Glock 26 withe Pearce extension and a raven vanguard 2 for me

For some reason I actually shoot my 26 better than my 19

TehLlama
02-16-14, 14:17
G26, or a grip reduction on the G19 to see if that makes it more CCW friendly, and some holster upgrade action. I'd say a pair of pimped G19s would still be most envy-worthy kit for anybody on a budget.

teutonicpolymer
02-19-14, 09:34
cutting down a 19 to 26 is probably the last thing I would do because you retain all the slide weight but lose shootability

if you really want something slim and light you might like the walther pps. unfortunately glock still doesn't have a single stack 9 so the pps seems to be the next best option despite being one of the older single stack polymer 9s

Symmetry
02-19-14, 09:44
I'm a college student on a limited budget.....
Thank you in advance
Stubby

That cuts out .45acp and .357sig unless you reload. I've been caliber jumping for the last 20yrs and have been a cop for 14 of those, and I would say you are well served with just sticking with 9mm with todays modern defensive ammo. Since you are on a budget, and you seem to like striker fired low bore axis guns, I would try out a S&W M&P or a Steyr M9-A1. If you don't mind venturing into different grip angles and bore heights, then I would try the Walther PPQ or the new Sig P320(when it is available).

Stubby
02-19-14, 09:44
cutting down a 19 to 26 is probably the last thing I would do because you retain all the slide weight but lose shootability

if you really want something slim and light you might like the walther pps. unfortunately glock still doesn't have a single stack 9 so the pps seems to be the next best option despite being one of the older single stack polymer 9s

I'm looking at a sig p938

Trajan
02-19-14, 11:12

A 19 cut to a 26 has the concealability of a 26, with the shootability of the 19. They are really neat, and I would take one any day of the week over a 26.

This is the advice you should follow:

Choose the one you shoot best and sell the other two. Use that money plus what you were going to spend on a new pistol to buy

a spare of the pistol that you keep
a top-drawer holster (Raven, Shaggy, Secret City, Dale Fricke, etc.)
10-20 spare mags and 2 sets of other spare parts (RSA, various springs, etc.)
a boatload of ammo
classes from Pat McNamara, Larry Vickers, Kyle DeFoor, Paul Howe, and/or Ken Hackathorn
good hand-held light and WML

You already have at least three superb pistols, and all of those things are more important than adding a new one.

Okie John
I'll throw out there the excellent Dark Star Gear AIWB, and Raven VG2. Carried AIWB, that G19 will be no problem. A G19 and G17 combo is a good one to have IMO.

Sell the FN, buy good holster as mentioned, take training.

Then if you have cash to throw around, buy good eye and ear pro. I'm partial to Oakleys and Sordins. Do some research.

This is assuming of course that you aren't into just owning guns. No advice there.

steve462x0
02-20-14, 16:47
M&P 40c, I like mine