PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the hand cannons. Which to get?

Vintovka
02-02-14, 16:03
Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a big bore revolver. That means either the .460 S&W or the 500 S&W. At this point, I'm leaning toward the .460 due to the ability to shoot .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt and the fact that .460 itself seems a little bit cheaper to buy than the .500 ammunition. The purpose of this would basically be for fun. For something different to shoot at the range. It would also be used for protection on hikes and camping trips. But mostly for the "it's loud, powerful, and it's mine" factor. I want to get either the 5" .460 or the 6.5" .500. I don't want a long barrel.

Can any owners of them here speak up and explain your reasoning for getting whichever one you bought? For me, the .460 is getting the edge for being versatile while maintaining huge muzzle energy and velocity but the .500 still speaks to me for raw sledgehammer factor. Help me make up my mind.

ETA: recoil isn't an issue. I've spent a few afternoons shooting a titanium air weight .44 magnum

19trax95
02-02-14, 17:17
I say 600 nitro express.

On a serious note, I shot a .500 s&w once (5 rounds) and It actually wasn't too bad considering. It kicked like a mule but wasn't like rip your hands off bad. It had the long barrel with the compensator. I don't own it so I don't know what the ammo cost but I know it isn't cheap.

But I do agree with you on the versatility of the .460 with being able to shoot three different kinds of ammo. That would he my choice if I had to pick.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-02-14, 18:44
Have you seen that little Alaskan survival one they have, its a 500 s&w with a hals pelican case, bear spray, etc?

Vintovka
02-02-14, 19:24
Have you seen that little Alaskan survival one they have, its a 500 s&w with a hals pelican case, bear spray, etc?

I have. I'm not sure just how much oomph is still left in the cartridge once you factor in just how much powder is wasted. Although I've never been one to say that obnoxious muzzle blast at the expense of ballistics is a bad thing for range toys! I wonder how fast they're coming out of that 2" barrel?

High Tower
02-02-14, 20:00
Can any owners of them here speak up and explain your reasoning for getting whichever one you bought? For me, the .460 is getting the edge for being versatile while maintaining huge muzzle energy and velocity but the .500 still speaks to me for raw sledgehammer factor. Help me make up my mind.

I think you are on the right track here. I'm not an owner of either, but have spent some time with both. I like the .460 a little better due to the versatility especially during ammo crunches.

titsonritz
02-02-14, 20:01
I’d have to go with the .460 for the reasons you mentioned.

sbui
02-03-14, 07:49
I currently own the S&W 500 with the 4" barrel, I shoot 300 grain Hornady Flex tip (I think). Here are my thoughts in no particular order, I bought the gun also just like you are wanting it for, the SMILE factor.

Heavy Pistol
Recoil with a light load is not horrible,
Muzzle flip, It will sure come up and hit you if you don't have a good firm grasp for how its gonna do it.
Expensive to shoot I'm reloading and its still about $3 a cartridge, but I like reloading and do it for fun.
Nice little bear gun if you ever need it.
Puts a smile on my face every time it goes boom.
Wouldn't ever shoot the thing 1 handed, I've shot .44 Magnum in the Short frames 1 handed and its not so horrible.

I feel like the recoil on the 500 versus the .44 mag, the .44 mag has a more sharper hit then the 500, the 500 I can shoot 8 to 9 cylinders worth and it's not to bad, now the .44 mag, the sharpness in the recoil makes it worse, muzzle flip is what you would expect for both guns.

For the .460 XVR I have not shot yet, but will eventually get it also, as soon as the 4 inch barrel one actually shows up. I don't shoot the 500 very often, but probably once a quarter and usually put about 100 rounds through the pipe.

Also, just remember shooting big bore pistols like this very often puts lots of stress on the body, not an everyday shooter but a very much fun shooter.

Its a hell of a revolver, and every time I fondle the things, Its like DAMN, She's a freaking Beaut! I say get the .460 for the versatility, but then save the coin and get the 500, you won't go wrong!

The 460 if I can find one, is my next pistol purchase!!!!!!!!! Gotta love the big bore pistols.

Armati
02-03-14, 08:26
Serious question, and not a flame, but other than the pure enjoyment of firing a ridiculously large powerful handgun, what are you getting from these guns that cannot be better delivered by a long slide Glock 20 using 15rds of hot 10mm?

sbui
02-03-14, 09:17
Again, just the PURE factor of the enjoyment of shooting the most powerful handgun in the world. I'm pretty sure a hot 10mm isn't going to take down a 500# bear. Yes you can shoot a 10 mm auto, but it's just more fun to shoot the 500.

In this case Bigger IS better!!!!!!!!! When you fire the shot, either your gonna hit the dang thing or the noise of that big arse cartridge will scare the heck out of anything!!!

Again as the OP said, it's more for pure enjoyment!!!!

Vintovka
02-03-14, 09:36
Serious question, and not a flame, but other than the pure enjoyment of firing a ridiculously large powerful handgun, what are you getting from these guns that cannot be better delivered by a long slide Glock 20 using 15rds of hot 10mm?

I don't want a Glock 20 with 15 rounds of hot 10mm. I already have plenty of "practical" semi auto pistols. Now I want a big bore revolver for the smile factor as another gentleman has called it. Variety is the spice of life.

montanadave
02-03-14, 13:04

Not having shot the 10mm Glock, I might be talking out my ass, but here's my two cents.

I bought a .460 XVR a few years back. Purely impulse buy, that juvenile urge to have a hand cannon worthy of Dirty Harry. And I grabbed up some ammo and headed out to the range.

One of the targets was about a 12" steel square with a couple of rebar "hooks" welded to it hanging from a cross bar. So I load up the gun with some .45 LC and try it out. Ding, ding, ding. Nice satisfying ring and all's good to go. Switch to the .454 Casull. Now we're talking. Clang, clang, clang and the steel's swinging in the wind. So time for the .460. KA-BOOM and the steel target blows right off the cross-bar and lands in the dirt.

I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. :D

If silly shit like this makes you smile, I'd get the .460 for all the reasons you listed.

Coal Dragger
02-03-14, 16:50
Well if you plan on hunting with a handgun where the goal is to cleanly take large game animals a 10mm Glock is frankly a piss poor to marginal choice compared to a big bore revolver. There is a very large difference in effectiveness on game between a 200gr bullet at 1150fps from a 10mm and a 240gr bullet at 1900-2000fps from a .454 Casull or .460 S&W. Plus that "little" 240gr bullet is at the bottom end of what you can use, for example in my .454 I can load up to a 395gr bullet and run it up to about 1200-1250fps.

Additionally a big bore revolver will often qualify as a legal weapon to hunt with for certain species of game. In South Dakota we have a minimum energy requirement to hunt elk with. If memory serves it is 1700lb-ft, which the .454 Casull delivers, a 10mm though is not even close. Plus in most states you are not allowed to hunt with autoloading firearms with magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds and many states allow for even fewer rounds in the magazine.

WickedWillis
02-03-14, 17:25

first off, you have to purchase a separate barrel and slide to add to your Glock 20 to make it how your are describing. Plus, against actual large game the 10mm cannot hold a candle to large bore revolvers, regardless of having 15 rounds of "Hot" 10mm. I'd rather stop it on the 1st shot, or even the 2nd than do my best to attempt to wound it with an underpowered handgun.

Coal Dragger
02-03-14, 20:38
Not to mention that most animals after being shot poorly or with a marginal round then magically turn into top fuel dragsters and run away at roughly twice the speed of light, making anymore than 1-2 rounds almost a moot point. If you really think you're going to shoot an animal 15 times; well let's just say I have doubts that you have ever been hunting.

Wildcat
02-03-14, 21:34
One of the targets was about a 12" steel square with a couple of rebar "hooks" welded to it hanging from a cross bar. So I load up the gun with some .45 LC and try it out. Ding, ding, ding. Nice satisfying ring and all's good to go. Switch to the .454 Casull. Now we're talking. Clang, clang, clang and the steel's swinging in the wind. So time for the .460. KA-BOOM and the steel target blows right off the cross-bar and lands in the dirt.

I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. :D

If silly shit like this makes you smile, I'd get the .460 for all the reasons you listed.

Then you may enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGtt-wCqvUE

Vash1023
02-03-14, 23:10
45-70

anachronism
02-04-14, 21:18
Honestly, I wouldn't buy either one. You say you've fired them, but have you ever fired a 460 without hearing protection? I mean the way you would if you were in a defensive situation. A friend of mine has a 460, we took it deer hunting. He had fired the gun a bit, and was pretty well acclimated to it... as long as he had muffs on. He didn't have them hunting, and dropped the gun when he fired. Quite a reaction, huh? Also, the whole idea of the "45 Swift" is laughable. Yes, they do get high velocity from it, and yes, they do it by using light weight for caliber bullets, 200 grainers. I use better bullet in my 1911. The guns are terribly heavy, and you'll soon make excuses not to carry it when hiking. The X frame is a gimmick, and I personally don't see it's merit. A Redhawk in 44 mag or 45 Colt, loaded stiffly, will do anything the S&W will do. Add in the extra cost of ammo, and I see an ingenious solution without a problem to justify it. Toys are toys, and if that's what you really want, party on. But the two X frame S&W calibers have no reason to live.

Krull
02-05-14, 07:41
I've had the snub nose .460 (kinda useless) and now a 8 3/8 inch .500,of the two calibers I actually think the five hundred is the most sensible and the one that has the most ease in use,the .460 is rather terrible with blast since it's so high velocity the five hundred is not.

The main thing these super revolvers give to a hunter is the fact that with good ammo and a careful shot there just isn't much you can't shoot with one,and that only because of whatever skill level you may have-if you're a good handgun hunter? then even the big five can be got with a .500 revolver.

Do like me and get the .500 and then get a .375 H&H rifle,then you can literally hunt anything!

Coal Dragger
02-05-14, 15:06
Honestly, I wouldn't buy either one. You say you've fired them, but have you ever fired a 460 without hearing protection? I mean the way you would if you were in a defensive situation. A friend of mine has a 460, we took it deer hunting. He had fired the gun a bit, and was pretty well acclimated to it... as long as he had muffs on. He didn't have them hunting, and dropped the gun when he fired. Quite a reaction, huh? Also, the whole idea of the "45 Swift" is laughable. Yes, they do get high velocity from it, and yes, they do it by using light weight for caliber bullets, 200 grainers. I use better bullet in my 1911. The guns are terribly heavy, and you'll soon make excuses not to carry it when hiking. The X frame is a gimmick, and I personally don't see it's merit. A Redhawk in 44 mag or 45 Colt, loaded stiffly, will do anything the S&W will do. Add in the extra cost of ammo, and I see an ingenious solution without a problem to justify it. Toys are toys, and if that's what you really want, party on. But the two X frame S&W calibers have no reason to live.

I agree. Which is why I bought a Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull with no porting and a 6" bbl. I later sent it in to have a .45 ACP cylinder made for it as well. This revolver is physically no larger than the very good Ruger you mention, but is more precisely fitted and is stronger (5 shot cylinder). At any rate holstering a gun that size is no problem and I frequently take it with me when I venture into the hills. The S&W X frame weighs as much as some carbines but doesn't have the advantage of a butt stock. Silly.

Buy a Freedom Arms if you can afford it, a Magnum Research BFR short frame, or a Ruger.

brown3345
02-05-14, 16:32
This.

Coal Dragger said it best. I know we have a lot of Glock Fan Boys (I like my Glock too) here on this forum but sometimes an auto loader just wont do what you want it to do. When you get to those limits, nothing really beats a revolver or even a single shot pistol like a Contender XP100 or Encore.

Well if you plan on hunting with a handgun where the goal is to cleanly take large game animals a 10mm Glock is frankly a piss poor to marginal choice compared to a big bore revolver. There is a very large difference in effectiveness on game between a 200gr bullet at 1150fps from a 10mm and a 240gr bullet at 1900-2000fps from a .454 Casull or .460 S&W. Plus that "little" 240gr bullet is at the bottom end of what you can use, for example in my .454 I can load up to a 395gr bullet and run it up to about 1200-1250fps.

Additionally a big bore revolver will often qualify as a legal weapon to hunt with for certain species of game. In South Dakota we have a minimum energy requirement to hunt elk with. If memory serves it is 1700lb-ft, which the .454 Casull delivers, a 10mm though is not even close. Plus in most states you are not allowed to hunt with autoloading firearms with magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds and many states allow for even fewer rounds in the magazine.

Chumly
02-05-14, 17:37
This is on my phone so dont mind the typos and punctuation.

I have not owned or fired a 460, but do own a 500 sw with 8 3/8 inch barrel as well as several 44 magnums. For a range toy the 500 and I'm sure the 460 as well, are both fun.

I lean towards the 500 sw. My preference with handguns for hunting is big heavy projectiles. I personally think it is going be a more reliable way to make sure the bullet does what I want it to. Myself and plenty of big bore handgun hunters like big hard cast bullets that penetrate. Not to say a 460 isn't fun and from what I hear fast, effective and flat shooting for a handgun [for however flat shooting a handgun can be].

Fwiw I will probably add a 460 to the safe at some point. I like wheel guns even if just for range toys.

But....

If you are serious about carrying the gun I would get a 44 magnum or 454 cassull gun on one of the smaller than X framed revolvers.

I hunt pigs and deer as well as frequently carry a handgun while hiking and scouting. I can tell you that the 500 sw doesn't go with me, It's enormous.

Now it's worth mentioning that I don't have optics on the guns I carry the most. If you throw big optics on the gun and need a big messenger bag looking holster anyway, then I guess the 500 size wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

okie john
02-06-14, 11:38
Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a big bore revolver. That means either the .460 S&W or the 500 S&W. At this point, I'm leaning toward the .460 due to the ability to shoot .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt and the fact that .460 itself seems a little bit cheaper to buy than the .500 ammunition. The purpose of this would basically be for fun. For something different to shoot at the range. It would also be used for protection on hikes and camping trips. But mostly for the "it's loud, powerful, and it's mine" factor. I want to get either the 5" .460 or the 6.5" .500. I don't want a long barrel.

ETA: recoil isn't an issue. I've spent a few afternoons shooting a titanium air weight .44 magnum

Actually, recoil IS an issue. You may not think so now, but you could be looking at serious long-term damage if you spend too much time with handguns that kick too hard. See the case of gunwriter John Taffin for details. Human arms and wrists can only take so much punishment before they fail and you need help zipping up your pants and tying your shoes...

Many years ago, I had David Clements build me a 5-shot Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. A few years later I had him build me one in 454 Casull. The 45 Colt would push a 350-grain bullet an honest 1,350 fps, and would push a 325-grain bullet about 100 fps faster. From those two guns, I learned that you get the most from a big-bore revolver when you push a very heavy bullet at normal velocity. Pushing a standard-weight bullet at rifle velocities doesn't get you the deep penetration and tissue disruption that make the juice worth the squeeze.

Of the two cartridges you mentioned, I'd go for the 460 because it can shoot lighter loads. I would avoid the S&W X-frame, and have something built on the Ruger Bisley purely for recoil abatement. Recoil in my Clements guns was brutal, and it would have been much worse in a gun that did not have the Bisley grip frame.

Okie John

WWhunter
02-06-14, 14:04
I own and shoot several 'Hand cannons' and have hunted with handguns for 30+ years. The advice of the FA. 454 is probably the best option if, as you say, you want to tote this on walks in the woods. I have several Ruger SBH's in various configurations and they are probably the second best all-around wheelguns I own. I personally don't feel much difference in recoil between the heavily loaded .44 mag over the .454 but then I shot them frequently. As other state, that X-frame is one heavy MoFo!!! I think I would rather carry a light weight rifle before haulng around that unweidly chunk of metal!!
One of my trully, attention getting, handguns in a 10" barreled T/C Contender chambered in 444 Marlin. I made the mistake once of firing it at a range with a roof......the entire firing line ceased firing when I touched the first round off!!!! I have killed deer with it and surprisingly it is very accurate as long as I do my part. It will get your attention in both muzzle blast and recoil.

WillBrink
02-06-14, 14:33

I have shot a 500, but not the .460. But the bold parts seem to give the edge to the fact alone. If the gun does not have a specific need to fill per se, other than fun range blaster, I'm assuming what ever differences in terminal ballistics there are between the 500 and .460, is a non issue to you. The .460 gives far more practical and $$ options it seems with 3 different rnds you can shoot. I'd opt .460.

Vintovka
02-06-14, 15:47
Thanks for all the insight and help everyone. I ordered the 5" barrel 460V at my local shop today. I'll have it in 5-7 days. $1,200 out the door. They ordered a bunch of different .460 offerings for the shop too. They had ample .45 Long Colt and a decent amount of .454 on the shelf too, which is nice.

TMS951
02-06-14, 15:48
Based on your actual use of the gun I'd get the 500 simply because its a 50 cal.

Vintovka
02-06-14, 16:49
Based on your actual use of the gun I'd get the 500 simply because its a 50 cal.

That's what I was thinking, but since I don't reload and have no interest starting, I felt that the .460 would be more economical for me since I love high volume blasting. The .460 ammunition is about 50% cheaper than the .500 rounds and is nearly as powerful in terms of muzzle energy.

Coal Dragger
02-06-14, 17:28
If you don't reload and you are not independently wealthy a big bore magnum revolver is going to be a total waste of time and money since you won't be able to shoot it enough to become proficient. Good luck nonetheless.

Vintovka
02-06-14, 17:58
If you don't reload and you are not independently wealthy a big bore magnum revolver is going to be a total waste of time and money since you won't be able to shoot it enough to become proficient. Good luck nonetheless.

I went with the .460 instead of the .500 for the exact reason you mentioned. I can get Hornady 200 grain for $34.99/20 rounds all day, 454 Casull for $25-$28/20 rounds and my local Walmart has .45 Long Colt for $26/50 rounds.

.500 S&W starts at about $60 per 20 rounds and you can't buy any cheaper alternatives.

High Tower
02-06-14, 18:51
Thanks for all the insight and help everyone. I ordered the 5" barrel 460V at my local shop today. I'll have it in 5-7 days. $1,200 out the door. They ordered a bunch of different .460 offerings for the shop too. They had ample .45 Long Colt and a decent amount of .454 on the shelf too, which is nice.

You'll be happy with your choice. They are no different than shooting any other revolver. Enjoy!

Vintovka
02-08-14, 17:52
Can anyone give a clear answer as to why Smith & Wesson discontinued the 460V for a while? Just curious about that. Seems like it was a poor business decision.

Spooky130
02-08-14, 19:30
I called S&W and they said they do runs of the 460v every couple years.

If you don't reload you picked the right option. I went through this same decision process last year and ended up with a John Ross version of the 500 (5", no ports, blued gun, matte SS cylinder). Since I reload I can go from mild (440 grainers @ 900 FPS) to wild with 700 grain pills.

I decided it would be a range toy/bear gun. As such I didn't need a gun with the legs of the 460 (which needs a longer barrel to achieve the high velocities) but wanted something with max payload. I bought a chest holster for it so I could have it on me at all times in bear country. It's too easy to put down a rifle or shotgun when you're messing around in the woods.

I've been out shooting steel at 100 yards with it - one hit knocked it over where 308s and .30-06 just made noise.

Vintovka
02-08-14, 20:09
I called S&W and they said they do runs of the 460v every couple years.

If you don't reload you picked the right option. I went through this same decision process last year and ended up with a John Ross version of the 500 (5", no ports, blued gun, matte SS cylinder). Since I reload I can go from mild (440 grainers @ 900 FPS) to wild with 700 grain pills.

I decided it would be a range toy/bear gun. As such I didn't need a gun with the legs of the 460 (which needs a longer barrel to achieve the high velocities) but wanted something with max payload. I bought a chest holster for it so I could have it on me at all times in bear country. It's too easy to put down a rifle or shotgun when you're messing around in the woods.

I've been out shooting steel at 100 yards with it - one hit knocked it over where 308s and .30-06 just made noise.

Thanks! A lot of people kept referencing split barrels, but the official statement I found about that pertained only to the longer-barreled performance center models. Your answer is the first one that doesn't seem to be based purely on speculation. I can't wait for this pistol to show up.

Spooky130
02-08-14, 20:34
Thanks! A lot of people kept referencing split barrels, but the official statement I found about that pertained only to the longer-barreled performance center models. Your answer is the first one that doesn't seem to be based purely on speculation. I can't wait for this pistol to show up.

I wanted a 460v and couldn't find one even though they were in their online catalog. I preferred the shorter barrels to the rifle length ones.

And I've always thought of this story as absolutely worst case scenario.
http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940/twig-snap-alerts-dog-walker-to.html

Devildawg2531
02-08-14, 22:16
Ive read a lot from older high volume shooters who attribute wrist and elbow issues to shooting big bore pistols. Personally I haven't gotten to that age bracket and have never fired more than a 44 mag (my S&W 629 with 6 1/2 barrel which I find pleasant - but I only shoot it a coupld of hundred rounds a year). If I was in bear country I think that if I felt I needed more than a 44 mag pistol that I needed a rifle more than a pistol.

I do like like your thinking of the 460 over the 500 for the versatility in rounds.

1slow
02-08-14, 23:19
Read Ross Seyfrieds's articles in Guns & Ammo in the 1990s about Hamilton Bowen's .500, .475 Linebaugh Redhawks, Super Blackhawks.
My favorite is 4" .500 Linebaugh Redhawk. 450gr @ 1200fps out of a 3 lb pistol. I've shot these since about 1990. I don't do single actions because of thumb damage.
Of the S&W offerings I like my 4" .500. If you are going to have a heavy hammer, hit hard. I like my Bowen power to weight ratio better but it is in another price range.
I do not shoot these as much as I used to because of arthritis in thumbs, elbows etc.. but I still like them. You will take damage if you do too much of this.

Spooky130
02-09-14, 07:39
How much do you need to shoot one of these hand cannons to damage your arms? Probably more than a non-reloader can afford... Probably more than the average shooter will shoot one.

I still hold that a reloader is best served with the 500 versus the 460. You can load the 500 from mild to insane pretty easy.

I also think the 460 is the better round for active hunting as it has greater velocity and a flatter trajectory.

I just wish I could find a production lever action rifle to go with my 500 pistol.

1slow
02-09-14, 09:41
In a shorter barrel 4" I think the .500 is a better round. I was mainly interested in short range hammers when I started with Bowen Redhawk .500s. Furthest I ever shot them was 100 yards from mod iso.

Vintovka
02-09-14, 12:48
I plan to shoot the 460V a lot, but I don't know if my ammunition budget is quite big enough to cause hand/wrist damage!

Wildcat
02-09-14, 14:32
And I've always thought of this story as absolutely worst case scenario.
http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940/twig-snap-alerts-dog-walker-to.html

Not doubting the story, but way its told kinda bugs me...
From the article: "He drew a Ruger .454 Casull revolver. There was no time to aim, barely time to squeeze the trigger. He's not sure whether he got off two shots or three, but one proved fatal."

Huh?
During the encounter I understand losing track, but afterward its easy to determine the answer and be sure of it.

Apologies for the thread drift.

Vintovka
02-09-14, 15:47
During the encounter I understand losing track, but afterward its easy to determine the answer and be sure of it.

Apologies for the thread drift.

That would make the story seem less sensational. Better to write it as "It was all such a blur...can't even remember how many shots were fired"

Makes the average lay-reader go "oooooohhhhhh"

Watrdawg
02-11-14, 11:12
My bear/pig gun is a 4.75" Freedom Arms 454 Casull. I carry it in a cross draw holster and have put down numerous pigs and a good sized, 574lb Black Bear, with it. I also carry it while fishing in the UP of Michigan. Starting to have a major wolf problem up there. We have also had 4-5 confirmed mountain lion sightings. My aunt actually had one walk through her back yard. I thought about getting one with a 6" barrel but after talking with a few people decided on the 4.75" barrel. One thing I did do was send it off to Magna Port to have it ported. Only took 3 weeks to get done and it does make a difference. Not spectacularly but it does.

Vintovka
02-11-14, 13:24
Just brought this beast home a few minutes ago. It's even nicer than I expected it to be. The store threw a box of Hornady 200 grain .460 as well. Very pleased so far! I'll shoot it soon, but not now while it's 14 degrees out.

Quick question: is it safe to dry fire this revolver? The manual doesn't say one way or another.

Here it is next to an M1895 Nagant.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1920617_810249082321968_611228359_n.jpg

Vintovka
02-13-14, 16:27
Fired it today. Way beyond what I expected. Unbelievably accurate. I've never been that great of a pistol shot, but I hit this can 5/5 times at about 30 yards. I have high hopes for what I'll be able to do with it when I'm really trying for accuracy and not just blasting in the snow for the sake of firing it. I'm not terribly "impressed" with the recoil. It's definitely a sharp snap, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people have led me to believe. Nice impressive fireball and a good loud bark, but I'd have no trouble putting a few boxes through this in one range session. I used Hornady 200 grain. This is a very, very nice piece. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a nice and versatile revolver.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1920182_811611748852368_2037027613_n.jpg

Vintovka
04-07-14, 01:09
This is a pretty sweet action shot from the other night. All other pistols just got a little bit more boring for her. :)

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1514257_10101968800614723_482380674_n.jpg

Vintovka
04-08-14, 09:55
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1903009_10101969216326633_1642627404_n.jpg

Stengun
05-03-14, 14:01
Howdy,

Again, just the PURE factor of the enjoyment of shooting the most powerful handgun in the world. I'm pretty sure a hot 10mm isn't going to take down a 500# bear. Yes you can shoot a 10 mm auto, but it's just more fun to shoot the 500.

In this case Bigger IS better!!!!!!!!! When you fire the shot, either your gonna hit the dang thing or the noise of that big arse cartridge will scare the heck out of anything!!!

Again as the OP said, it's more for pure enjoyment!!!!

You do realize that your post screams "I'm a +40yo SWM w/out kids that lives with my Mom and I have a "Command Post" in the basement!", right?

I have a S/S Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull w/ 7 1/2" barrel that use for deer hunting ( w/out any luck so far ) and I feel it's about ideal for hunting whitetails in my area. Most shots will be under 125 yds and will be on an old log road.

Face it, unless the revolver is being fired off of a bench, sandbags, rail of a deer stand, etc your range of your shots will be limited to a max of 150yds unless you are an incredible shot with a revolver, doesn't matter if it's a .22 or a .500.

Since you want maximum blast and recoil why not get a T/C Encore with a 10" barrel chambered in .460 Weatherby?

Paul

mhenson07
06-07-14, 10:55
I have a Ruger Alaskan 454 and love it!

Ttwwaack
06-07-14, 12:01
I thought the same but the X frame loaded is alittle heavy to pack around all day in a chest rig. I've tried quite a few and liked a 329 because I always kept it on but the issue of having to send it back to the factory to get the stainless flame cutting shield replaced every 3-400 rounds got old. The 6.5" smile maker spent more time on the front sest of the truck or strapped to the quad due to weight of it. My last idea was a 4.75 -5.5" 475 LB on a Ruger Bisley SBH. Well, I got a base gun in 45 Colt and it shoots so well it would be a shame to convert it. Instead I'm thinking of either an barrel chop to 5.5" and express sights and just picking up a used Freedom Arms in 475 with a 5.5" barrel.

Don't get me wrong, the 500 is a power house and brings a smile but it is useless sitting on the seat of the truck. Any of these cartridges though need to be handloaded or you need to be wealthy to shoot them much. I think I saw 460 and 500 in the store the other day for 2.25 each. Hot 45 Colt, 454 Casual, 475/500 LB really need to be handloaded due to lack of availability in quantity.

Trifecta
06-07-14, 13:02
edit: saw you made a purchase, beautiful gun sir! looks like a magnificent piece and a literal blast to shoot.

I am a huge fan of Ruger revolvers and have a special place in my heart for the Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

soulezoo
06-09-14, 11:44

As the original 10mm Fanboy (I have a Bren Ten, Delta Elite, G20) and having shot 10mm now for thirty (30!) years (since I got one of the first Brens off the assembly line)... I'll have to agree with the other posts that the 10mm is hopelessy outclassed by these larger cartridges for their purpose. It is not even close enough to have a discussion.

To the OP-- get the .500 and party on!

Ttwwaack
06-09-14, 12:04
Although I have a G20 for the OPs purpose and as previously stated a weight savings I feel alittle under gunned in the coastal areas of AK. Inland I'm comfortable with 200-220 SJFP/HCFP. The 10mm is ooutclassed.by the 500 in ME by 3 or 4 - 1 based on loading.

Krull
06-16-14, 00:55
Ran into this thread again wanted to add this:

To those who say these guns will damage you,yea probably if you sit and shoot a few hundred rounds a day-Taffin was mentioned and I remember him being a big advocate of the "super" revolvers back in the late 80's into the 90's and he was working on loads and shooting the things all the damn time.

For me even with medium .500 shells I can do seven a day and then I have to quit as my hand is tingling and I can tell I've had enough!

The .500 is still my favorite handgun as to something I can go hunt anything I wish.

badness
06-25-14, 01:58
this should do the job.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2rzq7ex.jpg

kutz
06-25-14, 08:29
My Elk & Bear gun is a BFR in .450, it's great.