PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 and 5.56 mag pouch

TACTICAL45
02-02-14, 20:56
I am looking for a triple 7.62 (20 rnd Pmag style) pouch that will also hold 5.56 (30 rnd issue or Pmag style) mags. I have done some research and found some information, but not enough to get a good feeling of such a system. It will be going on a PIG BRIG CR, All-Molle [SYSTEMA] . I have seen that some say a triple pouch that holds two 5.56 mags per pouch will fit the 1 20 rnd 308 Pmag per pouch. That would be fine, but what system does it correctly? If I have to adjust the velcro/elastic keeper to fit either mag that is ok, I just want to but the right system the first time.

Halfbreed_83
02-02-14, 21:39
I know you're looking for a triple mag pouch but have you looked at the HSGI tacos?

TACTICAL45
02-02-14, 22:06
Very nice pouches, but the price goes with them for sure.

Halfbreed_83
02-03-14, 01:22
Yeah, that's definitely the negative. Whenever I picked mine up there was a sale going on at GSS Gear for 20% off... but of course I had to pick up that Arc'Teryx jacket that was 40% off... then the Surefire that was 30% off. I thought my wife was going to kill me before I even got out of country :D

NCPatrolAR
02-03-14, 06:42
The Mayflower Triple 7.62 pouch will fit your needs

Failure2Stop
02-03-14, 09:47
I have spent a considerable amount of time with both and I have come to the conclusion that purpose-built pouches work far better than any combo pouch.
If you absolutely have to, I would rather stick 2 5.56 mags into a double 7.62 pouch than a single 7.62 mag into a double 5.56 pouch.
The BlueForce gear double 7.62 with flap works in this capacity.
Regardless of what MOLLE/PALS mounted pouches you go with, I am steadfast that the immediate access/speed reload/happy mag pouch be a dedicated pouch, as it will be drawn from and refilled frequently.

sgtbutt
02-03-14, 14:59
I went with TACOs and bite the price bullet. As soon as I built my 308 I knew I was going to need to run TACOs myself. For me it was buy once cry once type deal with them.
Sorry that it isn't directly answering you question though.

TACTICAL45
02-03-14, 15:24
Understood, I have the same thought, buy once cry once. Has anyone done any low crawling or the sort with the Taco's to see if they will come out even with the bungee straps on or off?

Failure2Stop
02-03-14, 20:09
Understood, I have the same thought, buy once cry once. Has anyone done any low crawling or the sort with the Taco's to see if they will come out even with the bungee straps on or off?

Yes.
I was not happy with their long term durability.
This was when they first came out, maybe they're better now, but I still do not like them as an immediate access pouch for 7.62.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Benito
02-03-14, 21:29
Yes.
I was not happy with their long term durability.
This was when they first came out, maybe they're better now, but I still do not like them as an immediate access pouch for 7.62.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Hi Jack,

I am just curious what part of the Taco you found to wear out.
I have a few Taco's and the Tyr "equivalent" COmbat Adjustable Pouch. Seeing as my use of them is pretty light, I am interested.
It seems like the shock cord might go eventually, but that can be replaced on the cheap.

TACTICAL45
02-03-14, 21:53
ditto.........

SCAR17SGuy
03-02-14, 16:09
I am looking for a triple 7.62 (20 rnd Pmag style) pouch that will also hold 5.56 (30 rnd issue or Pmag style) mags. I have done some research and found some information, but not enough to get a good feeling of such a system. It will be going on a PIG BRIG CR, All-Molle [SYSTEMA] . I have seen that some say a triple pouch that holds two 5.56 mags per pouch will fit the 1 20 rnd 308 Pmag per pouch. That would be fine, but what system does it correctly? If I have to adjust the velcro/elastic keeper to fit either mag that is ok, I just want to but the right system the first time.
If you're still open to suggestions, not locked into the triple format and you aren't opposed to saving some cash, you might want to reconsider a double mag pouch. I opted for the 5.11 VTAC Double Mag Pouches http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-stacked-double-mag.html. I like their quality construction and their slickstick slides. I've got six of them for use on my plate carrier, battle belt and rifle case.

jmk
03-02-14, 18:33
ive tried a bunch of multi mag-type pouches and was never satisfied until i used hsgi tacos. usgi, pmag, 15-22, ak47, ak74, pmag lr, ruger mini, whatever...even 12ga cards.
i have the pistol pouches and same goodness there.

they are pricey but they are cheaper by far than multiple rigs.

i like that they hold one mag per pouch -double or triple pouches seem floppy or insecure when less than fully filled, and ive pulled more than one mag or had the extras spill out a few times on the traditional pouches.
also, many of the multi mag pouches force you to change the orientation of the mags depending on which mag type is in the pouch. that is distracting enough in a class, i wouldnt want to worry about any of that in a for-real situation.

otoh, tacos are an open top design, so there could potentially be retention issues with extra rigorous activities, or as f2s notes, as the bungees wear, etc. and the mags are exposed to the elements, scuffs, and debris more than fully enclosed pouches.

for my needs, the tacos instant adjustability and consistent presentation are the draws. ymmv.

as to alternatives, tactical tailor has a universal pouch, and you may want to check out the pig ucr for ideas on multi mag systems.
eta:esstac 7.62 wedges claim to also fit ak 30rd mags, so they should handle ar 5.56 mags as well. i havent seen their nylon, but the kywi inserts work well.