PDA

View Full Version : Which one and why you would pick it?

RWH24
02-02-14, 21:34
Colt AR15A4 20 Rifle

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=AR15A4

BCM 20 A4 Rifle MOD 1

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=A4-870-212

Or, forget both and go this direction.....Colt AR6951 9mm Carbine

Colt AR6951 9mm Carbine

Let me have your answer and briefly tell why you would make that choice.

Thanks M4Carbine

Eric
02-02-14, 22:05
What role will it fill? You're choices are approaching the opposite end of the scale from each other.

MSparks909
02-02-14, 22:05
Pick whichever roll mark you like better between Colt and BCM.

What uses are you imagining this rifle filling? Plinker? I don't understand why you lumped a 9mm carbine in as well with the A4 clones.

SilverBullet432
02-02-14, 22:26
damnnnnn hard choice.....

^Rb
02-02-14, 22:29
Colt 20". No brainer really.

And why do you want a 9mm AR? lol

PaLEOjd
02-02-14, 22:30
Between the Colt and BCM A4, flip a coin if you can't make a decision. They are both quality rifles and built to spec.
If it were me, I would go with the BCM simply because of their customer service and reputation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
02-02-14, 22:38
The question you're asking doesn't make sense. If I have a 20" rifle already (which I do) I would be inclined to answer neither. Both of them will be good rifles and I know if there is an issue, BCM will respond faster with less BS if needed.

9MM carbine. Again, for me it makes no sense as I have SBR's. If you are asking about a 9mm carbine in general I don't have much use for one. What are you going to do with it? Why do you want it?

MistWolf
02-02-14, 22:40
I've had a Colt's Competition HBar 20" in the past and it never let me down. Not that I think the BCM won't work, but I know from first hand experience the Colt works and the Colt is worth two more Victory Points than the BCM will. Close, but 2 Victory Points is 2 Victory Points!

9mm? Negative Victory Points. You want to get them out of your hand before the end of the game

Dionysusigma
02-02-14, 23:01
(irrelevant post removed)

KCBRUIN
02-02-14, 23:12
Colt will probably have a higher resale value outside forums like this. I'm a BCM fanboy tho so I say BCM all the way based on great customer service and fantastic quality.

MSparks909
02-02-14, 23:21
A question comes to mind out of genuine curiosity:

With all the lightweight/short barrel/collapsing stock/more-vertical pistol grip/fore-end modular rail/ambidextrous controls/etc. trends the AR world has been pursuing lately, is there any reason for a 20" rifle that doesn't fall under the "CMP National Match," "nostalgia," or "SAM-R (or other highly modified equivalent)" categories? I mean, sure, M855, Mk.262, and M193 were designed to be fired from a 20" barrel, but aside from velocity retention from the longer barrel (now not as much an issue from the development and deployment of Mk.318), is there really a need for a full-length AR anymore? :confused:

To OP: Colt, for the first reason Encyclopaedia Galactica isn't as popular as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6lmVdNl96o&t=54s)

I wouldn't necessarily say there is a need but they certainly fill a specific niche for those who aren't as concerned with CQB maneuverability or ease of handling inside a vehicle. I am strongly considering building a 20" AR next with a 15" free float rail and a VLTOR stock system. Keep the rifle length gas system and buffer weight while allowing LOP adjustment if my GF or others want to shoot it, plus I would get better ballistics. Plus for me it would fill a nostalgia role as well. If I do build this I will strongly consider selling my 16" DD middy and using the money to build a 300BLK SBR or to make my DD a dedicated close-range/HD/training gun. My DD currently has a PA 1-6x mounted in a LaRue QD mount and has an Inforce WML. I wouldn't mind placing the 1-6x on a 20" gun and getting a T1 for my DD to cut the weight down.

RWH24
02-02-14, 23:55
I have 2 16" middys. I want a 20 for longer sight radius and for the classy lady.
Plan on leaving the carry handle on it and use the iron sights.
The 9mm carbine is if I could not make up my mind and said to heck with it. It is different also, non mainstream.
Can't afford an MP5.

Colt for roll marks, BCM for CS in the event anything ever did go wrong.
Either one should be fine shooting rifles.

ffusaf23
02-03-14, 00:16
I initially became a fan of BCM because they offered much more variety and configurations Colt did not, but in this particular instance, a 20" rifle, I would go with the Colt for the sake of tradition/nostalgia and would keep the fixed stock due to the same. I want one of these A4s pretty bad but I doubt I'll ever get one due to more practical alternatives. I do miss the feel of a genuine rifle length gas system though...

RWH24
02-03-14, 00:37
Maybe I will just get the BCM 20" upper or PSA CHF 20" upper, keep it around to pin on a lower I already have.
Save up and buy the Sionics upper with the Vltor A5 RE on it. Make a smooth operator.

carolvs
02-03-14, 02:36
Even though I knew the Colt's had finally started to ship, I went BCM.

Tejasmtb
02-03-14, 10:21
Both are great, I'd probably go with the Colt though simply for the roll mark.

3 AE
02-03-14, 12:53
Here it is. Five voted for Colt, four went with BCM. There, doesn't THAT make the decision easier if not better? LOL Wait, I'm going with BCM. It's a tie! Now what are you going to do?

RWH24
02-03-14, 13:21
Here it is. Five voted for Colt, four went with BCM. There, doesn't THAT make the decision easier if not better? LOL Wait, I'm going with BCM. It's a tie! Now what are you going to do?
PSA 20" Upper with an FN CHF barrel, add a BCM bcg. :blink:

Pin it to my current lower for the time being or wait for reviews on the new Colt.:dirol:

drarmament
02-03-14, 19:52
which ever company you would like to have your money. They are both built with quality and would serve what ever propose you have. My self I would get the Colt, BCM could easily be built for 3/4 the price

buckar15
03-15-14, 00:09
What did you end up getting? I decided to go with the 20" BCM.

Hill_Country556
03-23-14, 01:17
I recently bought the BCM A4 Mod 1 from G&R. Can't say enough good about it. May buy another one just like it. Why? Why the f*#k not? ;)

3ACR_Scout
03-23-14, 10:47
As much as I like BCM's products, I would also go with the Colt, simply because an A4 is a rifle is want for nostalgic reasons, and a Colt would fit that "role" better (since I'm not inclined to go with FN after all the discussion on that subject). However, I'd want to wait a bit to get the Colt since it sounded like they had a few things to iron out (e.g. the FSB) last I checked in on that discussion (which I need to look at again).

What makes the BCM a Mod 1? The Gunfighter grip? Thanks,

Dave

SteveS
03-23-14, 10:51
20" rifles are just plain nice to shoot. Really most of our guns are just toys no matter what the ninja voices inside our heads tell us.

RWH24
03-23-14, 12:15
With housing encroaching and city limits expanding, my places to shoot rifle are rapidly diminishing.
The closest range will not allow FMJ bullets, not just bi-metal FMJ, but any FMJ. One reason I have held back on another rifle purchase. I have 2 16" middies with FSP. May change out 1 just to have something different.