PDA

View Full Version : One handgun to do it all

Jollynojer
02-02-14, 21:57
I have 5 handguns I'm wondering if there is a one handgun that can do the job of them all. 1. ccw 2.competition 3. Backup well hunting dangerous game. As well as being reasonably priced for such a thing so less then $2,000
The 5 are: a kimber hd tactical,glock 17,20, hk uspc 9mm, lcr 38 spl. Or am I over looking the one that can do it all.

Hornbuckle
02-02-14, 22:19
Guns are tools, each one has a place and purpose. This is a perfect excuse to stock up. But start with a. 45

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

jck397
02-02-14, 22:27
Guns are tools, each one has a place and purpose.

Exactly. A Glock 20 isn't easy to stuff in your dress pants pockets. Likewise a S&W 642 is a piss-poor option when a bear is charging at you in the middle of the woods. If I had to choose one gun, it would be a Glock 19. If I were restrained by asinine magazine capacity restrictions, maybe a HK45. Otherwise, choose your weapons based on your needs.

trio
02-02-14, 22:42
The glock 29 probably gets closest to what you are asking for...but I agree with what is said above. They are tools. Choose the right one for the job, if you can afford to do so.

givo08
02-02-14, 22:47
For your requirements, CCW and competition lend itself more to 9mm and .40 (with the exception being CDP and Single Stack divisions) while backup for hunting lends itself more to 10mm and .45.

A full size 1911 is not very difficult to conceal, but is heavy. It would meet all 3 of your requirements though. I think it's more important to stick to the same manual of arms and weapon type though (i.e. stick to all glocks, or all M&P's, or all 1911/2011's) and get specific guns within that style for each of your needs.

R0CKETMAN
02-03-14, 05:15
I have 5 handguns I'm wondering if there is a one handgun that can do the job of them all. 1. ccw 2.competition 3. Backup well hunting dangerous game. As well as being reasonably priced for such a thing so less then $2,000
The 5 are: a kimber hd tactical,glock 17,20, hk uspc 9mm, lcr 38 spl. Or am I over looking the one that can do it all.

Glock 20 based on #3

PLCedeno
02-03-14, 06:16
Glock 20. There are loads made for woods carry and you can also find loads that will just cycle the slide for IDPA.

platoonDaddy
02-03-14, 06:22
# 1 & 2 = Glock 19

# 2 - Glock 17, 19 or Glock 21

# 3 = Glock 21 chambered for .460 Rowland

As previously sated they are a tool, therefore you need the right tool for the job

Coal Dragger
02-03-14, 06:23

Realistically one gun could cover 1&2, but not 3. One gun could also cover 2&3 but not 1.

I guess if it must be able to stop a dangerous animal as well as sort of conceal and be accurate enough for some types of competition I would go for a S&W 629 .44 Magnum with a 4" bbl. Probably not the answer you were looking for but if I had to have something effective against large animals I want a large bore magnum round, and that rules out pretty much any reasonable auto pistol.

brown3345
02-03-14, 06:34
In the auto world I would have to say the 1911 chambered in 10mm. For a revolver I would start with a stubby 44 special.

iveschrhis
02-03-14, 06:59
I agree with the response above that guns are tools, but some are more versatile than others. A Glock 21 - if it fits your hand and you can manipulate it well; dirt dive this first - will handle just-make-Major loads for competition to HSTs/Rangers for self defense, to 250gr hard-cast lead or 220 FMJ-TC for backwoods duty. If you shoot lead, consider a KKM drop-in barrel or keep your chamber and breech face clean. Some folks shoot lead with looking back from their Glocks. I don't except for a box of year out of a clean barrel of Buffalo Bore loads on trips to the Rockies.

If you don't hand load you'll be throwing bigger bucks at ammo of any type for a 10mm. With both Colt Deltas and a Glock 20 (and I've had other '20s and two 29s), go with a '20 if you are willing to take aboard the issues with ammo and maybe tinkering with the recoil spring assemblies (to get more resistance). You'll need to do the same fit-to-function check with the big-framed '20 as with a '21. The Deltas don't like a steady diet of of hard-pounding. 1911s, of course, need more love, detailed knowledge, and attention.

If you really like the idea of the big-framed Glocks but the ergos or size are not quite right, there are some real magicians out there who can reduce grip size, texture, etc. I've done this on a '21 and a '20 and the changes are nothing short of amazing.

Hope this helps.

JHC
02-03-14, 08:39
I sort of think the premise is a little funny but in the spirit of play; the Gen 4 G23. With select loads you can drive larger bullets deep on game. CCW obvious. Competition - somewhat handicapped but doable.

I've got a couple hundred rounds through one of these of late and it's a nice pistol. I never liked shooting the Gen 3 G23 but this one's recoil is not offensive.

newyork
02-03-14, 08:54
G 30?

Symmetry
02-03-14, 09:32
A pistol that can do it ALL is a pretty tall order. If the cartridge is too weak, it would not be adequate for animal protection.......if it is too powerful, then it becomes difficult to control in a dynamic shooting situation with an armed perp. In my opinion, the best compromise would be a high capacity 10mm Auto with full power loads. Having shot a few black bear myself, I would not use a standard service caliber. You really need caliber that has the ability to shoot a high sectional density bullet that is heavy, AND fast. Glock 20 or 29 would be my choice with either 180gr JHPs at around 1300fps, or 200gr JHPs at around 1150fps. If that is your choice, you'd better get into reloading for it.

Grip
02-03-14, 09:32
G30s should do the trick

CAVDOC
02-03-14, 10:11
No way one gun can do it all. For me my minimum would go something like this:
Deep cover gun ( seecamp 32)
Regular carry j frame or glock 26
Idpa gun glock 19
Revolver smith 15
Bullseye 22 ( smith model 17)
Bullseye center fire (smith model14)
Cowboy revolver colt saa
If I hunted add a smith 29 this is minimum and I like to have a backup to each in case something breaks so right now I have 15 pistols and could use a few more actually

beschatten
02-03-14, 10:13
For your requirements, CCW and competition lend itself more to 9mm and .40 (with the exception being CDP and Single Stack divisions) while backup for hunting lends itself more to 10mm and .45.

A full size 1911 is not very difficult to conceal, but is heavy. It would meet all 3 of your requirements though. I think it's more important to stick to the same manual of arms and weapon type though (i.e. stick to all glocks, or all M&P's, or all 1911/2011's) and get specific guns within that style for each of your needs.

My vote goes to the 1911. You'll make major with the .45ACP. Easy to conceal and carry with a nice belt and holster. For protection against some animals, I'm sure there are some hard cast .45ACPs that can get the job done at smaller distances. Never fired a 10mm 1911, not sure how manageable it is for CC.

If you've got the physical build, you may be able to CC a Glock 20. Get a conversation barrel in .40 S&W for competition.

opngrnd
02-03-14, 12:43
I'm going to offer my answer with a different approach. If $2000 is your budget, you should easily be able to do it, but you'll need more than one gun.

I'd suggest pairing a Glock 19 or 17 with a Glock 20.

The Glock 19 will enable you to carry quite well while getting started in competition, and if you desire, you can eventually grab a G34 specifically for competition. But the G19 will be easy to conceal and you can still enjoy competing with it.
The Glock 20 will give you a more powerful cartridge, and while it's not exactly a 44 magnum, it'll allow you to stay with the same style platform as your carry gun. I know I'd rather make hits with a 10mm than carry a revolver the I'm certainly not going to shoot as well.

It's not 3 birds with one stone, but I don't think you're going to find that good of a solution to that wide a variety of uses.

I suppose you could get the Glock 20 and use reloads for competition if you're a reloader.

But G19/G20 combo would be $1160 out the door where I shop...

Failure2Stop
02-03-14, 13:19

For 2k you can get 2 or 3 Glocks that would cover all of that territory:
CCW: G19 or G17
Competition: G41, G34, G35, G17, or G19
Dangerous Game: G41, G35

They would have nearly identical triggers, sights, handling, and sight to grip angles.
They would share a large number of repair parts and if you are clever about the mix, you would have a reduced need for multiple magazines per platform.

Coal Dragger
02-03-14, 15:15
Maybe the OP could enlighten us as to what kind of dangerous animals he might encounter while hunting. In most parts of the lower 48 there are very few dangerous wild animals. If the OP lives in brown bear country or hunts there he's better off with bear spray as a first line of defense. If a handgun has to be relied on anything less than a .44 Magnum pushing heavy 300+gr bullets is probably a waste of time since stopping a large dangerous animal requires deep penetration through heavy fur, muscle, and bones to reach vitals and break the animal down. Even a .44 Magnum is going to be marginal for this but is about the most powerful round most shooters can tolerate out of a reasonably sized handgun. For the recoil acclimated shooter I would look at the .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, or one of the other really big bore magnum handguns. If you need to stop a big pissed off brown bear you need something that can act as a sledgehammer and bigger is better. Bear spray will still probably work better though, and also cause no permanent harm or land you in jail for poaching until you can plead your case. Did I mention bear spray?

For most other potentially dangerous animals in the feral hog, mountain lion, or black bear size/weight build class a .44 Magnum is still a good choice, maybe even perfect. Other decent choices include: .41 Magnum, 10mm, .45 Super, .460 Rowland, or .45ACP +P. From the standpoint of readily finding ammo for any of those listed the .44 Magnum and .45ACP are the clear leaders. If you reload then you have better options, but I still like wheel guns for this option for versatility since you can use any bullet shape you want and load to any power level you want within pressure limits and have no worries about cycling or feeding. Plus a revolver doesn't fling your expensive brass into the bushes never to be seen again.

If any of the above critters aren't likely to be encountered your normal everyday carry gun will work great! For stray dogs, or bobcats trying to join you in a tree stand, or if you hunt in pot grower meth lab infested areas a normal duty capable auto or revolver will obviously work well.

Jollynojer
02-03-14, 22:23
I hunt black bear, mountain lions, and hogs. No brown bear yet and if I see a pot grow I back the hell out quick. But in the city 2 legged critters can be found and as far as competition I'm thinking IDPA and 3 gun.
I notice a lot of people are thinking a Glock 10mm or a 45acp+p. I have a 1911 right now but I don't know if they are as rugged as a glock or an hk. I know that a gun is a tool I'm just wanting to simplify my training as well as un clutter my gun cabinet. Just wondering if the old saying is true "fear the man with one gun" so can one gun cover everything ?

Dmaynor
02-03-14, 22:26
The glock 29 probably gets closest to what you are asking for...but I agree with what is said above. They are tools. Choose the right one for the job, if you can afford to do so.

I second that. I carry a Glock 29 in a raven concealment.

Coal Dragger
02-03-14, 22:34
I hunt black bear, mountain lions, and hogs. No brown bear yet and if I see a pot grow I back the hell out quick. But in the city 2 legged critters can be found and as far as competition I'm thinking IDPA and 3 gun.
I notice a lot of people are thinking a Glock 10mm or a 45acp+p. I have a 1911 right now but I don't know if they are as rugged as a glock or an hk. I know that a gun is a tool I'm just wanting to simplify my training as well as un clutter my gun cabinet. Just wondering if the old saying is true "fear the man with one gun" so can one gun cover everything ?

Are you planning on hunting with the handgun in question as a primary hunting weapon, or just as a back up to archery equipment? Just curious about that distinction since if you are CCW'ing the pistol or revolver while hunting as a self defense weapon the handgun will not have to meet any state laws for legal firearms for hunting. Otherwise you may have minimum power requirements and magazine capacity restrictions that will rule out some auto pistols.

beschatten
02-04-14, 00:00

There are some 1911 'smiths and mfgs that make their guns run like clockwork. Drop em, toss em, run em dirty, just lube it here and there, clean the bore, and change the recoil springs and extractors (same maintenance as any other gun). Mags may require a little more attention. Well built 1911s are no different than any other well built gun. I can think of a few great options for less than 2,000.

A Glock in 10mm or 45ACP would serve you well too. An HK45 or HK45c is something I would consider as well. There's a lot of options out there. I would take a look around. There's a lot of sweet, tuned up 1911 10mm Delta Elite's worked on Chuck Warner and Chuck Rogers on 1911forum.com that have certainly grabbed my admiration. Options are endless dude. It really depends on your budget, the time you have, and your personal taste.

Whatever you decide, make sure it makes you happy. But don't discount the 1911 platform.

G19A3
02-04-14, 07:07
I'm going to offer my answer with a different approach. If $2000 is your budget, you should easily be able to do it, but you'll need more than one gun.

I'd suggest pairing a Glock 19 or 17 with a Glock 20.

The Glock 19 will enable you to carry quite well while getting started in competition, and if you desire, you can eventually grab a G34 specifically for competition. But the G19 will be easy to conceal and you can still enjoy competing with it.
The Glock 20 will give you a more powerful cartridge, and while it's not exactly a 44 magnum, it'll allow you to stay with the same style platform as your carry gun. I know I'd rather make hits with a 10mm than carry a revolver the I'm certainly not going to shoot as well.

It's not 3 birds with one stone, but I don't think you're going to find that good of a solution to that wide a variety of uses.

I suppose you could get the Glock 20 and use reloads for competition if you're a reloader.

But G19/G20 combo would be $1160 out the door where I shop...

IMHO, Best answer given your parameters.

samuse
02-04-14, 08:26
One gun to do it all? That means it's gonna be half-assed at everything and excel at nothing.

Seriously, this is the United States and we're in the middle of the biggest oil field boom in history.

Buy more guns.

pat701
02-04-14, 10:55
IMHO look at a Sig P220, or the Sig P227, both 45ACP.

WickedWillis
02-04-14, 11:35
One gun to do it all? That means it's gonna be half-assed at everything and excel at nothing.

Seriously, this is the United States and we're in the middle of the biggest oil field boom in history.

Buy more guns.

Samuse, you nailed it.

Father of 3
02-04-14, 12:18
G29 with conversion barrels.

You can shoot 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 9x25 Dillon with the correct barrel. Have the 10mm barrel for hunting w/ 15 round mags.

As stated, it will be the jack of all trades and master of none to try and find one gun for all scenarios.

TehLlama
02-04-14, 13:21
I love me some 1911's, and you can have a decent 1911 and another cute pocket pistol for that money, but I wouldn't go that route.

G19. Two of them. Go balls to the walls with grip reductions, get the sights you want. You can keep your Kimber for dealing with larger game, but if you're going to spend time and cost yourself money condensing your collection, standardize down to one platform and focus on getting better with it.

Coal Dragger
02-04-14, 13:48
G29 with conversion barrels.

You can shoot 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 9x25 Dillon with the correct barrel. Have the 10mm barrel for hunting w/ 15 round mags.

As stated, it will be the jack of all trades and master of none to try and find one gun for all scenarios.

Show me any state that allows hunting of large game with a 15 round magazine in any weapon.

mak52580
02-04-14, 13:57
For myself, with a CCW and living in a condo I have to say my Glock 30S. It's still small enough to conceal carry outside the house and won't over penetrate into my neighbors living room if I need to use it in my condo

G19A3
02-04-14, 16:51
For myself, with a CCW and living in a condo I have to say my Glock 30S. It's still small enough to conceal carry outside the house and won't over penetrate into my neighbors living room if I need to use it in my condo

ALL premium defensive pistol ammo that will reliably penetrate to the necessary depth in a bad guy WILL also penetrate in modern building materials.

Same goes for defensive shotgun ammo.

In fact, some defensive 5.56mm have the necessary defensive penetration, yet penetrate less in modern building materials.

Choose wisely.

The_Watcher
02-04-14, 18:07
Glock 41 with the frame cut down to G30 size and a 460 Rowland barrel conversion.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
02-04-14, 19:29
Do any of you people realize the legal magazine capacity for hunting with a semi-auto in most states is less than 10 rounds? In fact in most that I've looked up it is 6 rounds. The gun can only take 6 rounds with the magazine being used. If the magazine can even accept more ammo it will be illegal to use for hunting. Good luck finding 6 round magazines for your Glock.

Anyway back to the fairytale advice...

platoonDaddy
02-04-14, 19:54
Do any of you people realize the legal magazine capacity for hunting with a semi-auto in most states is less than 10 rounds? In fact in most that I've looked up it is 6 rounds. The gun can only take 6 rounds with the magazine being used. If the magazine can even accept more ammo it will be illegal to use for hunting. Good luck finding 6 round magazines for your Glock.

Anyway back to the fairytale advice...

As with my 870 switching between 3 & 5 rounds, I use a plug. For the G21 chambered in .460 rowland a wooden plug resulting in the spring sitting on the block. Actually only 4 in the magazine and one chambered.

JG007
02-04-14, 19:55
Show me any state that allows hunting of large game with a 15 round magazine in any weapon.

http://arizonagunowners.com/index.php?topic=334.0

Coal Dragger
02-04-14, 20:42
What does hunting with sound suppressors have to do with magazine capacity on a semi-automaitce firearm used for hunting?

There are a few states where you can evidently hunt big game with no magazine capacity restrictions on a semi-auto but they are the exception rather than the rule. If one handgun must do it all, then you want to get one that is legal to hunt with in as many jurisdictions as possible so that will preclude most semi-automatic pistols. Between magazine capacity limits, minimum energy requirements, and minimum barrel length requirements it would be tough to dump the money into a nice 1911 or Glock set up for hunting only to find it is not legal in the state you just applied for bear tags in.

If you want a handgun that will in most cases meet all of the above requirements for legal use in just about any state that allows the use of handguns for hunting then buy a .44 Magnum revolver of your choice with at least a 4" bbl on it. Pretty simple.

Coal Dragger
02-04-14, 20:45
PlatoonDaddy,

I suppose if you want to go that route you could, but if you are not going to have the advantage of extra ammo (which in hunting is not much advantage anyway) why not just use a .44 Magnum revolver? You get much wider ammo selection, typically better adjustable sights, and most .44 Magnum revolvers tend to very accurate.

platoonDaddy
02-05-14, 17:30
PlatoonDaddy,

I suppose if you want to go that route you could, but if you are not going to have the advantage of extra ammo (which in hunting is not much advantage anyway) why not just use a .44 Magnum revolver? You get much wider ammo selection, typically better adjustable sights, and most .44 Magnum revolvers tend to very accurate.

I carry for self-defense from a brownie, when hunting out west and harvesting a elk, the rifle generally is away from the skinning site. When carrying a .44 revolver in a shoulder holster (even with a 4" barrel, of course my opinion) to cumbersome to carry or draw. Therefore the choice of a G21, much easier to carry and or draw from the shoulder holster.

Fortunately I have never encountered a brown bear, but I have friends who assisted a fellow hunter that wasn't so lucky.

Forgot to add: block is only required if semi is restricted.

houdini23
02-05-14, 17:46
I am partial to my XDm 3.8 with full size grip. Mine is in 9 mm but if it had to be a do all gun I'd get in 40sw. Small enough to conceal but large enough to do serious damage and be accurate.

Pictured bottom right of picture below.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2148/3057962/13326489/407814621.jpg

TMS951
02-05-14, 17:47
I would have to say glock 19 and 20 as well. If it wasn't for requirement 3 I think a glock 19 makes for a great only weapon.

I do think if you insisted on only one gun you could get away with a HK45c and load it with 45super around big game. It is the same price as both Glocks combined.

I own glock 19s and a HK45c, not a 20.

Coal Dragger
02-05-14, 17:50
I carry for self-defense from a brownie and you are still restricted on the amount of rounds in most state: when hunting out west and harvesting a elk, the rifle generally is away from the skinning site. When carrying a .44 revolver in a shoulder holster (even with a 4" barrel, of course my opinion) to cumbersome to carry or draw. Therefore the choice of a G21, much easier to carry and or draw from the shoulder holster.

Fortunately I have never encountered a brown bear, but I have friends who assisted a fellow hunter that wasn't so lucky.

Bear spray is honestly probably the best option. We can agree to disagree on a prop per firearm for a last ditch defense. I'll stick to a big bore revolver especially for brownie defense, I have doubts about how well a .460 Rowland will perform on a 500-800+lb brown bear. I would feel better armed with a .454 Casull (which I do own) running 360gr or 395gr pills at 1300fps or better. Point of fact I use that as a primary hunting arm though.

WickedWillis
02-05-14, 17:58
I am partial to my XDm 3.8 with full size grip. Mine is in 9 mm but if it had to be a do all gun I'd get in 40sw. Small enough to conceal but large enough to do serious damage and be accurate.

Pictured bottom right of picture below.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2148/3057962/13326489/407814621.jpg

Yeah, but I could never feel comfortable staking my life (or those around me) on an HS2000.

houdini23
02-05-14, 18:49
Yeah, but I could never feel comfortable staking my life (or those around me) on an HS2000.

Why? Do you have any experience with XD's or XDm's?

LoveAR
02-05-14, 19:06
Info on the HS2000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HS2000

WickedWillis
02-07-14, 14:37
Why? Do you have any experience with XD's or XDm's?

One of the very 1st handguns I bought was a XDm in 9mm. I have owned two total XD's (One in 9, and one in .40) and have put more rounds through them than any other handgun in my lifetime. However, I also spent more money and time having work done on them than any handgun I have ever purchased. My XDm 9mm, was unable to accept the magazines unless they were downloaded by two. Every magazine was like this. I had the trigger spring snap at roughly 500 rounds over several weeks, upon inspection it had been corroded through. I had the magazine plates blow off during firing on more than one occasion. They did not like feeding any of the Hornady Critical duty, or defense; my preferred defensive rounds, resulting in constant feeding issues. Straight up FMJ's worked fine. The 1911 style safety is pointless on a striker fired handgun.

In total I put about 12K rounds through the XD"s I had, and I put enough money into fixing them that I could have bought two Glocks, or M&P's, much better quality striker-fired handguns. Springfield Armorys (The fake one we deal with these days) CS was abysmal whenever I called, and they made me feel stupid with every question I had. I did some research, and some digging on the history of the company and realized they were HS200's, and read the litany of complaints and issues those guns had. It's funny that SA can re-brand a handgun and turn around and sell it for $200+ what the original was, when it's nearly identical to the same damn thing.

I traded my XDm 9 for a Glock 21, and I traded my 40c for a Glock 19 and Have not looked back since. I have never been less satisfied with any firearms purchase in my life. When they worked, they shot decent, and I had okay groupings with them. In my opinion though, all guns break, they all can have issues, but the frequency that I had issues with these, and considering what I paid for them It was complete BS. I didn't feel safe carrying a gun I constantly worried about. I have several colleagues that swear by them, and love them to death and that's fine. They have had no issues with theirs and they are confident in them. I do however really like the XDS, I just cannot bring myself to buy another XD product. YMMV

weggy
02-07-14, 22:51
G-30 for the post count

teutonicpolymer
02-19-14, 09:51
I am partial to Glocks so I would go with a G19 and G20. I have not yet tried the G41 but I could see that as an alternative to the G20 seeing as how 10mm prvi partizan (the cheapest new production brass ammo) has gone from under 40 cents a round to over 50 cents a round last I checked.

Talon167
02-19-14, 13:46
Just one? I'd probably go with a P30 LLEM, in 9mm or 40. I'd have to think about that one for a little...

davidjinks
02-19-14, 17:37
With a budget of $2,000.00.......

Glock 22
20 Magazines
1,000 rounds of 180 Gr. GDHP
1,000 rounds of Buffalo Bore 200 Gr. Hard cast
Milt Sparks VM II Holster for CCW with S4C Mag pouch
RCS Holster for comp and woods carry with applicable mag pouches

I have absolutely no problem carrying a Glock 17/22 IWB in a Sparks under a standard button down shirt.

walkin' trails
02-19-14, 19:52
If I had to choose one handgun that would do it all, it would be a sad day and mean that the S____ hit the fan and I was stuck with whatever I went out with that day and would have to make it work. Fortunately I don't yet have to live with that and can own as many handguns as I'm big enough to buy.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

dirvo85
02-19-14, 20:46
In my opinion this is like asking if there is a car that can be a race car, commuter car, off road vehicle, school bus, limo, etc....

There is no one gun that can do it all. I don't shoot competition but if I did I wouldn't use my shield. I don't hunt with my handguns but if I did I wouldn't use my m&p or HK45c.

Like others have iterated... They are tools. Different tools for different jobs.

The only gun I can think of that would be even close to a 3 in one tool would be some sort of 10mm. IMO you could use it for SD, as a woods guns, and (if you're a reloader) some sort of competition.

10mm is the only round that I don't own that I would like to own if it was more affordable and more readily available in my area, and more readily available in different platforms.

Good luck on your quest. My best advice.... Buy a bigger safe :-)

If you want my answer to which Handgun I'd take if I could only take one then I'd choose my M&P 9 FS. I like the idea of 9mm and 17+1 rounds. That should do the job. I'd be sad to not bring my HK45c though.

Sent from somewhere the NSA is tracking using Tapatalk

jmk
02-19-14, 21:51

those are conflicting requirements (like so many other things in life), so picking one "best" isn't going to happen. you aren't going to get a porsche cabriolet that tows a boat while hauling a family of 8...

that said, a glock 29 would be my "one and only" since you throw dangerous game BUG into the mix. otherwise, i'd go m&p compact in .40 for maximum versatility.

QuickStrike
02-20-14, 10:48
Personally I'd go with a g20 and a .40 conversion barrel if I had to use only one gun for all of that...

PLCedeno
02-21-14, 06:33
Personally I'd go with a g20 and a .40 conversion barrel if I had to use only one gun for all of that...

I didn't know that existed. Will the .40 rounds work with standard g20 mags? This really would be the "do it all" setup.

WickedWillis
02-21-14, 10:15
I didn't know that existed. Will the .40 rounds work with standard g20 mags? This really would be the "do it all" setup.

No, you should use G22 magazines, they are less likely to give you feeding issues, and I have seen G22 mags everywhere during the panic.. Or you could buy the G20 and then buy a Lone Wolf .45 conversion barrel to give the frame a pressure break.

teutonicpolymer
02-21-14, 21:32
No, you should use G22 magazines, they are less likely to give you feeding issues, and I have seen G22 mags everywhere during the panic.. Or you could buy the G20 and then buy a Lone Wolf .45 conversion barrel to give the frame a pressure break.

a) G22 mags will not fit the G20 frame (too small)

b) .40 in a G20 should run okay with stock magazines but I wouldn't really trust it for anything serious when you can get 10mm loaded to .40 levels. No way in hell would I shim or modify one of the mags to make it closer to factory .40 length though. Consider that STI/SVI .40 guns basically use 10mm length magazines (to my knowledge, the STI Perfect 10 uses the same mags as regular STI .40s). People put a lot of rounds through these and there doesn't seem to be a real issue that requires systematic fixes like a shim, but the longer mag does allow for long loaded .40 to be used.

c) You cannot convert a G20 from 10mm to .45, the barrel outer diameter on the G20 is not big enough

10mm is a really fun cartridge but it has been getting more expensive lately for some strange reason while other cartridges seem to be going down in price on average. It seems to consistently gain popularity which I think is great. I would love to see Walmart start carrying 10mm and I would love for Vltor to finish the Fortis/Bren Ten. A Glock 10mm longslide would also be neat but the G20 is a great package as is.

Ryno12
02-21-14, 22:37
Will the .40 rounds work with standard g20 mags? This really would be the "do it all" setup.
Yes, speaking from experience, it will work.

Sent via Tapatalk

Linkscoach
02-21-14, 23:21
Another vote for a 30s. Second choice would be a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel for competition.

cpoth
02-22-14, 08:41
I think it would be more helpful if the OP had stated the following.

1.) A priority list (I can't imagine that self defense would not be at the top of this list but I don't know your individual situation)
2.) What restrictions does your state have on magazine capacity?
3.) What firearms experience do you have in the past?
4.) Do you have the ability to reload?
5.) What would be your preferred method of carry as in AIWB or 4:30 etc. What would be comfortable given your overall size and shape?

Regardless of whether or not this information is provided, F2S on post #19 gave you the best advice in my opinion. You learn 1 platform, 1 grip angle, consistent use of sights, shared magazines and likely some holsters, under your budget.

As an alternative, I might suggest buying a G19 for self defense, CCW etc. Use that gun for competition, otherwise WTF is the purpose of competing? Enhance your skill with the gun that could save your life. If measuring dicks with competition style firearms is your thing (of which I have no indication) then I don't have a lot of information to offer. I would say, buy a Rem 700 in 30-06 with an optic that suits you're needs to go hunting, you should not have a problem with anything in North America. Also, just to throw this in there, I would much prefer a long gun in an encounter with a bear over a handgun YMMV. Use your left over budget money to take some training classes on handling a sidearm, deploying it in self defense, learning your legal liabilities and limitations in a self defense scenario, excelling in the use of that handgun, practicing with it in competition. I think that is the best way to consolidate resources. As indicated by others the one gun does it all idea is a little too fairy tale for me.

cpoth

JonInWA
02-22-14, 13:29
Glock G21 or HK 45 with ammunition tailored to situationally specific uses should just about cover things, in my opinion.

You'll have a durable, reliable handgun regardless.

Best, Jon

JHC
02-22-14, 17:01
Glock G21 or HK 45 with ammunition tailored to situationally specific uses should just about cover things, in my opinion.

You'll have a durable, reliable handgun regardless.

Best, Jon
+1 and that should settle that! ;) people chase more raw horsepower than they really NEED IMO.

Pappabear
02-22-14, 18:58
Rem700 300WM with Nightforce. A little tight for appendix carry, otherwise GTG !

Magic_Salad0892
02-22-14, 20:06
IMO, there are a few that do almost everything.

G19.
1911 Commander.
CZ75 Compact.
HK45C.
S&W M&P 45 Midsize.
SIG P229.

WickedWillis
02-24-14, 10:46
+1 and that should settle that! ;) people chase more raw horsepower than they really NEED IMO.

BUT, BUT, BUT 10MM kills their souls! :dance3:

Eurodriver
02-24-14, 10:48
G19 for sure.

Rem700 300WM with Nightforce. A little tight for appendix carry, otherwise GTG !

lol

Roklok
02-25-14, 00:16
delete

Headcase650
02-25-14, 02:29
I tried this a few years ago, Picked up a USP Full size 45, B-Square scope mount and a Fire Dragon 400 Corbon barrel. Carried the 45 for a while in a Cross breed type holster, shot pins at the range. Hunting season came along and I but on the B-square, a red dot and 400 barrel. Took a nice doe with it that year. I bow hunted a lot back then and if I could hit an 8 inch plate at 40 yards I was happy. So it can be done, but it wasn't ideal. I agree with the above...different tools for different jobs.

RHINOWSO
02-25-14, 07:50
Sure, as long as you're willing to live with the inevitable compromises.

steppenwolf
02-26-14, 13:31
The OP's listed criteria really suggest one word: versatility.

With the 10mm you get that in abundance in terms of ammunition choices for whatever the task at hand is.
You can find factory loads using FMJ or HP bullets ranging in weight from 135gns up to 220gns. There's light 40-level stuff for plinking or competition, hotter loads for duty/EDC use, and nuclear loads for predator protection (2- or 4-legged) for when you're out in the boonies.

Reloading provides practice ammo that can duplicate the energy-level and felt-recoil of the factory ammo - again, given the intended use. (I know a dude who's hunted deer, black bear, and other critters with his 6.5" S&W 610 revolver using DT or Underwood 10mm loads and his own cast-bullet handloads.)

The issue w/ the 10mm is really about choice of platform. In semi-autos, that's the 1911s, the Glocks, the CZ-style Tanfoglio Witness (or, if they ever get around to importing them, the Turkish-made 10mm Sarsilmarz K2), one of the old-school S&W 3rd Gen 10XX-series models, or maybe some day Vltor's Bren Ten.

Personally, my 10mm Smith autos have always run w/o a hitch and are both very accurate. But they're also large-framed stainless steel guns that, while being slim single-stacks, still pack heavy. For me, I EDC a G29. For a back-up pistol while hunting or hiking, I'll take my G20.

Old pic ...
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CIMG1409.jpg (http://s372.photobucket.com/user/agtman/media/CIMG1409.jpg.html)

:cool:

silvery37
02-26-14, 14:15
Smith 9mm m&p. Fiber optic sights and laser grips. Apex trigger parts. That will do just about everything. Get some premium fmj for animals.

williejc
02-26-14, 14:59
Try this:

1. Glock 19
2. High quality target type .22--Browning Buck Mark is a good example
3. Center fire .38/.357 mag revolver with adjustable sights--like Ruger or Smith
4. A 2 inch 5 shot .38 spl revolver from Smith

These choices are based on spending $2000.00 for handguns that should function out of the box and not require custom work. Spare parts and factory support are available. Common calibers are represented. Female family members and kids can easily master shooting al 4. For #3, one can choose a single action revolver.