PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a resizing die for 223

SlimMan
02-03-14, 13:02
I've reloaded handgun rounds for 30+ yrs, but I'm just getting into reloading for 223/5.56. In fact I just finished my first 100 rounds. They certainly require more time investment than straight-walled pistol. But to my question, while sizing (using Imperial as my case lube), I began to wonder how fast the lube builds up in the sizing die. Using carbide dies for handgun cartridges, this really isn't a problem. But for bottleneck cartridges, is there some general guidance on how often to break down the die and clean it? Is there some indication during the resizing process that surfaces that tells me it is time to cleans?

I did run a search, but didn't find an answer (maybe just bad search terms...).

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Eric D.
02-03-14, 14:08
I've never thought about case lube building up in the die. I've always been more concerned with dirt/dust/grit. Every thousand rounds or so all I've ever done is pull the decapping pin out and spin a cloth with alcohol up through the die.

markm
02-03-14, 14:28
Switch to Dillon Case Lube (DCL) for .223... Just my opinion.... it's THE most forgiving lube ever. Imperial Sizing Wax is a must have benchtop item.... but for getting after it with .223, DCL all the way.

As far as die cleaning... Maybe every 10k rounds I'll jam a q-tip up in there. Most of the trouble is and occasional piece of walnut media that snuck into the press.

Whytep38
02-03-14, 19:09
I use a lanolin/rubbing alcohol blend for lubing my cases. I've found I can lube/resize one case and have enough lube on the die to resize two more cases without having to lube them first. That saves lube and keeps buildup down. It also leaves enough lube on the die to ward off rust.

markm
02-04-14, 08:49
I use a lanolin/rubbing alcohol blend for lubing my cases. I've found I can lube/resize one case and have enough lube on the die to resize two more cases without having to lube them first. That saves lube and keeps buildup down. It also leaves enough lube on the die to ward off rust.

This is true. I just sized a pair of loose extra .223 cases the other day with the residual die lube only. That's the recipe for Dillon Case Lube. I just buy it from Dillon... easier than ordering the right alcohol and lanolin and all that.

Pork Chop
02-04-14, 10:01
I clean dies (when needed) by breaking them down and cleaning with Hoppes and a microfiber rag. Maybe a toothbrush or nylon cleaning brush if I have to, but I've went a LONG time between this process. Normally just a rag wipe is all it takes.

I'm using Stainless media tumbling, so that stretches die cleaning intervals to.............I have no idea. Haven't needed to clean them since. :)

Tzed250
02-04-14, 10:58
I use the homemade lube. Liquid lanolin and 99% Isopropyl alcohol. For the alcohol I use ISOheet from tractor supply. Liquid lanolin $10 to the door. Mix it 10/1 or 12/1 ISO/lanolin. Cheap.

Oh yeah, the cleaning. I use brake cleaner every so often. Make sure the vent hole is clear.

bigedp51
02-04-14, 11:12
When full length resizing rifle cartridges the resizing lube is squeezed and forced upward into the shoulder area of the case. If too much lube is applied it can cause the shoulder of the case to be dented and bulge inward. The shoulder and neck of the case is to be wiped off before sizing to help prevent excess lube buildup and have uniform shoulder bump and neck diameter. As stated above just giving the die a swipe with a Q-tip in the shoulder area will remove excess lube.

Anytime you reload for a firearm that throws perfectly good brass away, dirt and grit can become imbedded in the brass and scratch the dies. If you see scratches on your brass after sizing it is time to clean and polish your dies. Clean the die body and then chuck a shotgun cleaning mop in a hand drill and apply J&B bore paste, Flitz, automotive rubbing compound, etc to the mop and polish the inside of the die.

For minor scratches and cleaning or corrosion on the die, just disassemble the die and place the die body in a vibratory case cleaner with polishing walnut media for a few hours.

I clean my cases with stainless steel media which does a very good job of removing any imbedded dirt/grit in the brass and keep die scratching to a minimum.

Bottom line cleaning dies depends on you, the lube you use, how you lube and the amount of cases you are resizing. Nothing is written in stone.

markm
02-04-14, 11:23
I'm using Stainless media tumbling, so that stretches die cleaning intervals to.............I have no idea. Haven't needed to clean them since. :)

There's no way I'd give up my SS media tumblers. They're awesom.