PDA

View Full Version : For The "New People"...Heroin Will Kill You...

SteyrAUG
02-03-14, 18:21
There's a reason you don't know a lot of elderly, successful people who have managed long term, recreational heroin use. And being famous or rich won't keep you from dying either.

Philip Seymour Hoffman dead at 46: Actor had 70 bags of heroin (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/philip-seymour-hoffman-dead-46-autopsy-expected-today-article-1.1600477)

Sources say 70 baggies heroin, at least 50 of which were unopened, were found in the actor’s apartment — and were imprinted with ‘Ace of Spades' or stamped with an Ace of Hearts, indicating drugs manufactured with a powerful pain reliever called fentanyl. Investigators also discovered five prescription drugs, including one used by heroin addicts to help kick a habit.

davidjinks
02-03-14, 18:45
Who cares? The guy was a waste of oxygen. He didn't make a single movie that was worth a damn. Everyone has known for years he's been a spiker. He's been in and out of rehab over the last few years.

Good riddance! Willfully destroying yourself because you're an immature man child; I have no sympathy.

Airhasz
02-03-14, 19:12
Got a laugh when it was reported a syringe was still sticking out of the arm of his corpse. I guess he just couldn't get enough poison inside himself.

Sensei
02-03-14, 19:41
There's a reason you don't know a lot of elderly, successful people who have managed long term, recreational heroin use. And being famous or rich won't keep you from dying either.

Philip Seymour Hoffman dead at 46: Actor had 70 bags of heroin (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/philip-seymour-hoffman-dead-46-autopsy-expected-today-article-1.1600477)

Sources say 70 baggies heroin, at least 50 of which were unopened, were found in the actor’s apartment — and were imprinted with ‘Ace of Spades' or stamped with an Ace of Hearts, indicating drugs manufactured with a powerful pain reliever called fentanyl. Investigators also discovered five prescription drugs, including one used by heroin addicts to help kick a habit.

I'm curious to hear the final ME report as to which drugs were actually present at the scene and on the postmortem drug screen. I've heard mixed reports as to whether Fentanyl was part of the equation.

This Fentanyl craze is very interesting. Although it is used in hospital acute care settings (OR, ED, ICU) as a rapid-acting intravenous analgesic, it is not available in pill form in the out-patient setting. In fact, the only prescription availability is in the form of Fentanyl patches (Duragesic) that is absorbed across the skin for sustained pain relief. I wonder if enterprising drug dealers are using stolen intravenous Fentanyl, or extracting the drug from the Duragesic patches. My suspicion is the latter since Fentanyl in the hospital is strictly monitored.

SeriousStudent
02-03-14, 20:03
Sensei, do you see a lot of heroin users in the ER these days? I recall it being pretty common here in Texas about two years ago, but I think it's tapered off a bit locally. I'm honestly not sure, though.

Just curious if it's increasing or whatnot.

Tzed250
02-03-14, 20:40
I remember famous people killing themselves with the big H since I was wee lad. Jimmy and Janice were the first I heard about. Rough stuff, it shows no mercy...

JBecker 72
02-03-14, 21:48
On the local news today they had a story about a 16 year old girl who died from her first heroin usage. Personally, I can't see where the appeal to try that is. You know it's horribly addictive and very well might kill you.

It sucks the guy is dead, I thought he was a good actor.

austinN4
02-03-14, 21:54
Read the 2014 Vermont SOTU address: http://governor.vermont.gov/newsroom-state-of-state-speech-2013
Yes, I know the link says 2013. but it goes to the 2014 address.

ETA: I think it is particularly telling that a governor would spend most of his SOTU address talking about the crisis of opiate addiction in his state, and the crimes that go with it to support the habit.

HKGuns
02-03-14, 22:00
I feel bad for his children, that is the extent of my thoughts on the matter. This idiot had the world by the balls and he threw it all away for a fix.

Remember this the next time you hear all the Hollywood idiots blathering on about gun control and saving lives.

Armati
02-03-14, 22:15
"But Sid, what about the good-bye drugs?"

If I was a betting man, I would say someone scored some IV Fentanyl Citrate and is making this new Ace of Spades product. It is more easily available in India. Of course, you could just steal it.

It would seem that a product like this came in to the US from Mexico around 2005.

http://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs11/20469/index.htm

A good chemist can synthesize it (and the precursors) and it would seem (in the above article) that from time to time clandestine labs do produce it.

SeriousStudent
02-03-14, 22:34
Read the 2014 Vermont SOTU address: http://governor.vermont.gov/newsroom-state-of-state-speech-2013

Interesting - thanks for the link.

Sensei
02-03-14, 22:42
Sensei, do you see a lot of heroin users in the ER these days? I recall it being pretty common here in Texas about two years ago, but I think it's tapered off a bit locally. I'm honestly not sure, though.

Although it feels like I mostly see prescription drug users, most of the data suggests that heroin is making a comeback in the past couple of years. One theory for this is that abusers of prescription opiates such as Oxy and Hydro are finding it harder to procure pills, so they have to use heroin to supplement their addiction. Keep in mind that trends in drug abuse can be very regional depending on the relative prevalence of drugs. So, while prescription opiates may have been the rage on the East Coast (thank you Broward County, FL) for the past few years, this can suddenly change as LE cracks down on pill mills. At the same time, meth might be huge in the Midwest and cocaine in the Northeast.

On thing is for sure, heroin is known to be dangerous drug when it comes to overdoses that kill even seasoned addicts; a small error in dosing heroin goes a long way in putting someone in the grave. Complicating the situation is the fact that most heroin dealers aren't exactly chemists when it comes to having consistency in their product's potency.

SeriousStudent
02-03-14, 22:44
Thank you for the response, it makes a great deal of sense.

kcara
02-03-14, 22:47
We had 13 heroin deaths from this stuff in the last week in pittsburgh. Fentanyl was the culprit in these new bags on the street. The price is so low and many people still want to try this nasty stuff. It is a shame.

SteyrAUG
02-03-14, 22:49
Who cares? The guy was a waste of oxygen. He didn't make a single movie that was worth a damn. Everyone has known for years he's been a spiker. He's been in and out of rehab over the last few years.

Good riddance! Willfully destroying yourself because you're an immature man child; I have no sympathy.

I thought he did a good job in Charlie Wilson's War. But this really isn't about sympathy for some actor with a major drug problem. It's basically me in disbelief than anyone still actually believes they can do heroin and manage it.

Sensei
02-03-14, 22:56
"But Sid, what about the good-bye drugs?"

If I was a betting man, I would say someone scored some IV Fentanyl Citrate and is making this new Ace of Spades product. It is more easily available in India. Of course, you could just steal it.

It would seem that a product like this came in to the US from Mexico around 2005.

http://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs11/20469/index.htm

A good chemist can synthesize it (and the precursors) and it would seem (in the above article) that from time to time clandestine labs do produce it.

Very interesting...I had no idea that Fentanyl could be made so easily. I learn something new every day.

Sensei
02-03-14, 23:06
I thought he did a good job in Charlie Wilson's War. But this really isn't about sympathy for some actor with a major drug problem. It's basically me in disbelief than anyone still actually believes they can do heroin and manage it.

We had a couple of National Guard soldiers overdose on heroin during my last trip to A-Stan. Apparently, they would lower a water bottle filled with cash from the guard tower. Then, the local hajji drug dealer would come by, take the money, and put "cocaine" in the water bottle for the soldier. The only problem with this plan was that A-Stan has very little coca - lots of opium, but very little coca. Now, you have one guess as to what happens to an 36-year old PFC who snorts a line of heroin that is cut to look like cocaine....

No kidding - I don't trust the hajji food...much less the hajji drugs.

Ed L.
02-03-14, 23:15
First, I thought he was indeed a very good actor, one of the best among his contemporaries. I've seen him in a wide variety of roles from Capote (for which he won an academy award) to Almost Famous. The man was a Chameleon.

To me the real tragedy is that it wasn't someone more loathsome like Michael Moore or Jim Carrey who OD'ed.

SteyrAUG
02-03-14, 23:19
To me the real tragedy is that it wasn't someone more loathsome like Michael Moore or Jim Carrey who OD'ed.

I gotta ask, what did Carrey do to qualify for the same category as Michael Moore?

Ed L.
02-03-14, 23:39
I gotta ask, what did Carrey do to qualify for the same category as Michael Moore?

I find him incredibly annoying whether onscreen or off.

Denali
02-03-14, 23:39

http://www.redstate.com/2013/03/25/jim-carreys-inalienable-rights/

Comedian Jim Carrey rolled into the gun-control debate with a “parody song” called “Cold Dead Hand,” whose purpose is to portray Second Amendment defenders as callous monsters who don’t mind sacrificing children to their gun-crazed ideology. As Carrey put it via Twitter, his song is “about you heartless m***erf*ckers unwilling to bend for the safety of our kids. Sorry if you’re offended by the word safety!” [Note: expanded from Twitter abbreviations and edited for profanity.]

Carrey was confronted online by conservatives, who pointed out that the actor’s current paying gig is a new movie called Kick-Ass 2, in which he plays a heavily armed vigilante. (This movie, incidentally, also happens to contain a character who is called “The M***erf**ker.”) Carrey also enjoys armed bodyguard protection, just like every other gun-control-happy Hollywood actor and big-shot politician. He proved strangely unwilling to denounce his new multi-million dollar movie, or make do without his armed bodyguards. He was last heard retreating from the field of intellectual battle with some unconvincing whimpers about how he just wanted to engage Second Amendment defenders in a dialogue. Pro tip, Mr. Carrey: when you begin a “dialogue” by slandering people who disagree with you as “heartless m***erf**kers” who don’t mind seeing children die, you should expect some “kick-ass” treatment in response.

At roughly the same time, New York’s mayor and full-time nanny, Michael Bloomberg, offered this simple explanation for how inalienable rights can suddenly become alienable, provided our betters think it’s very important to make us do something, as related by the Washington Times:

I'd say that this goes along way toward club membership with Moore....

SteyrAUG
02-04-14, 00:54
I find him incredibly annoying whether onscreen or off.

Sure "The Mask" and similar films made me want to punch the crap out of him. But he's done a couple funny ones. And more importantly I don't think he needs to be executed like Michael Moore.

SteyrAUG
02-04-14, 00:58
I'd say that this goes along way toward club membership with Moore....

Ok so he's another anti gun celebrity and hypocrite. But a parody song (first amendment freedom) is quite a long way from being the blatant propagandist that Michael Moore is.

Texas42
02-04-14, 10:14
I've always wondered how heroine compared to morphine in terms of potency and duration of action, though I'm sure what is available has quite a big range of potencies.

I've seen remifentanil used a few times, and the effect was pretty impressive . . . at seeing how quickly people desaturation.

chuckman
02-04-14, 10:48
We get a handful a week, maybe 5-10, in my ED; rarely OD'd to the point of reversal or significant resuscitation. I have not seen any related to fentanyl.

SteyrAUG
02-04-14, 11:54
I've always wondered how heroine compared to morphine in terms of potency and duration of action, though I'm sure what is available has quite a big range of potencies.

I've seen remifentanil used a few times, and the effect was pretty impressive . . . at seeing how quickly people desaturation.

Depends on the heroine. I mean Wonder Woman (especially the vintage Lynda Carter variety) can be some potent stuff.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/wwcarter.jpg

TehLlama
02-04-14, 13:08
Although it feels like I mostly see prescription drug users, most of the data suggests that heroin is making a comeback in the past couple of years. One theory for this is that abusers of prescription opiates such as Oxy and Hydro are finding it harder to procure pills, so they have to use heroin to supplement their addiction. Keep in mind that trends in drug abuse can be very regional depending on the relative prevalence of drugs. So, while prescription opiates may have been the rage on the East Coast (thank you Broward County, FL) for the past few years, this can suddenly change as LE cracks down on pill mills. At the same time, meth might be huge in the Midwest and cocaine in the Northeast.

On thing is for sure, heroin is known to be dangerous drug when it comes to overdoses that kill even seasoned addicts; a small error in dosing heroin goes a long way in putting someone in the grave. Complicating the situation is the fact that most heroin dealers aren't exactly chemists when it comes to having consistency in their product's potency.

This makes the most sense - with such a variety of potency in stuff available through black and grey market channels, the moment goes through somebody with no idea what they're doing, the potential for OD gets huge... I guess one has to be wildly ignorant of the biochemistry and fairly messed up in the head to really be in the situation to try heroin anyway - I guess the ones I feel the worst for any any trafficked individuals who are hooked on this kind of crap against their will, and can get killed purely by someone else's idiocy.

glocktogo
02-04-14, 13:08
Prophecy! :)

http://i.imgur.com/VY0sfTX.jpg

skydivr
02-04-14, 13:36
I don't have much sympathy..pissed his life away...

BIGUGLY
02-04-14, 17:04
former Department we had a lot of arrests on home nurse aids after patients discovered their Fentanyl patches went missing. Sad thing there is a lot of nurses and Docs that use that stuff a friends boss at work the head nurse was found injecting that stuff on her break, amazing waste of a good education and profession.

montanadave
02-04-14, 17:32
Depends on the heroine. I mean Wonder Woman (especially the vintage Lynda Carter variety) can be some potent stuff.

Nothing to add. I just thought this thread could use more Lynda Carter.

Big A
02-04-14, 17:59

Nothing to add. I just thought this thread could use more Lynda Carter.

Agreed

And she has aged better than a some of her contemporaries...

TacMedic556
02-04-14, 18:11
:lazy2: Look closely, this is my face giving a $#!+. So what? You know how many people overdose every day? (I am talking at the media not you guys).

The best part is the media and hollywood having a whiny, teary eyed, bitchfest that he died and acting like this was the most tragic lost on earth. This is the same media that loses their intestinal fortitude if an athlete takes something nearly undetectable to boost performance, the same media that vomited all over the screen when Rush Limbaugh took some pills (also a very bad thing and not defending him).

My question is, how would the media have reacted had this been a staunch conservative rather than an "artieeest" who happened to play some good ol' liberal roles in his day?

HKGuns
02-04-14, 18:20
I guess one has to be wildly ignorant of the biochemistry

This made me laugh out loud! Not being critical or trying to call you out, but most of these people voted for Obama and you expect them to be educated in biochem?

Too funny!

Caduceus
02-04-14, 19:13

I'm not Sensei, but it was common as water over in Detroit when I was a med stud in '08 and '09. We joked we should just put narcan in the water and detox the city.

Magic_Salad0892
02-04-14, 21:58
I'll say I felt sympathetic towards him. He was one of my favorite actors.

C-grunt
02-04-14, 23:06
Here is Phoenix we see heroin a lot. It's solidly in second place behind meth for the most seen hard drug.

Moose-Knuckle
02-05-14, 02:07
Now, you have one guess as to what happens to an 36-year old PFC who snorts a line of heroin that is cut to look like cocaine....

Guess he never saw Pulp Fiction . . .

Moose-Knuckle
02-05-14, 02:13
First, I thought he was indeed a very good actor, one of the best among his contemporaries. I've seen him in a wide variety of roles from Capote (for which he won an academy award) to Almost Famous. The man was a Chameleon.

Very well said. I'm fan of the Hunger Game franchise and was worried upon hearing the news of his death that this would effect the Mocking Jay films. The producers said he had seven hours left on the project and that his absence will effect the completion of the films.

Word.

williejc
02-05-14, 20:00
When I worked the graveyard shift doing security at a nursing home, I was dismayed to see the frequency of drug use by care givers on the job. Nobody gave a shit. Pain patches had to be placed in the patients crotch to hinder theft. When one died, if the employees didn't rob the patch, a certain funeral home guy would if he could. This man was later busted and did jail time for stealing from the dead. He was a dope fiend and creepy too.

Moose-Knuckle
02-05-14, 20:11
When I worked the graveyard shift doing security at a nursing home, I was dismayed to see the frequency of drug use by care givers on the job. Nobody gave a shit. Pain patches had to be placed in the patients crotch to hinder theft. When one died, if the employees didn't rob the patch, a certain funeral home guy would if he could. This man was later busted and did jail time for stealing from the dead. He was a dope fiend and creepy too.

Yeah you gotta wonder how many guys in the funeral home game harvest organs, pull gold teeth/caps, and have necrophilic relations with corpes. A funeral home here was busted several years back stacking corpes on land somewhere all the while raking in the dough. God only knows who's remains are in what grave/urn. Heads should roll.

SteyrAUG
02-05-14, 21:11
Yeah you gotta wonder how many guys in the funeral home game harvest organs, pull gold teeth/caps, and have necrophilic relations with corpes. A funeral home here was busted several years back stacking corpes on land somewhere all the while raking in the dough. God only knows who's remains are in what grave/urn. Heads should roll.

About 20 years ago, down here Menorah Gardens (huge cemetery) was digging up bodies and tossing them in the woods behind the property and reselling the plots whenever they determined there was no "next of kin."