PDA

View Full Version : Surefire SOCOM762-Mini or RC for 14.5"

2theXtreme
02-04-14, 02:41
I've searched and was unable to find anything definitive. If you can point me in the right direction please do so.

I'm in a bit of a pickle on suppressor choice for a future 14.5" 308 purchase. I am looking for any input you guys have. Pros and Cons of each are obvious (size vs. suppression capability) so I guess what I want to know is, is the mini quiet enough on a 14.5 or should I just go full size and accept the added inches and ounces. This is going to be an all purpose battle rifle for short and mid-range work. Any input at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

kknick
02-04-14, 10:58
According to SF:
The SureFire SOCOM762-MINI Fast-Attach® suppressor is optimized for use with 7.62x39 and 7.62x35 caliber rifles and will also adequately suppress 7.62x51 NATO caliber rifles with a barrel length of 16 inches or longer.

Not sure if that would also void a warranty using on a 14.5". In about 4-6 months I will be able to tell you firsthand the difference between the two on a 16" LWRC REPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2theXtreme
02-04-14, 11:02
Yeah, I read that. I emailed surefire about it so I guess I will see what they have to say. If it isn't safe, or voids warranties to use the mini on a 14.5 then I'll go RC for sure. Thanks knick.

domestique
02-04-14, 21:39
Is this your first suppressor? If so I would strongly urge you towards the RC. It is 300 win mag rated and is soo much more versatile then the mini.

Since you are going with a 14.5 the RC would give you roughly the same length as a 16" with a mini...

Here is the only video I have found comparing them (these are the legacy models and not the newer SOCOM, but all reports are saying they legacy models sound the same).
Watch "Shooting .308 Suppressors; Compare Surefire Mini 762 vs 7.62x51" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGRBcT29QkE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I personally had a RC and mini on order (mini was going to go on a 300 blk upper) but after an issue with the minis being scarce I went with 2 RCs.

Especially with the new legislation that is going to make it harder for trust users I feel I will be perfectly happy with the RC being more well rounded for my use, even if it does add 2".

Another note, there have been complaints about the 5.56 mini not being quiet enough, not sure how well that will translate to 7.62 but if quietness is high up on your list of priorities the the RC may be the way to go.

Hopefully within the next couple weeks there will be more videos of these socom suppressors on YouTube. A lot of stamps should be coming due. I still have until August on mine. :(

2theXtreme
02-04-14, 21:44
Very nice! Thanks for the post. It's not my first I have a KAC suppressor already. I'm starting to lean a little more toward the RC myself. I don't think the 2 inches will be worth the loudness of the mini. Thanks again for the response.