PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss / thinning hair treatments

TY44934
02-04-14, 12:51
As I'm sure many of you have faced this, thought I'd ask what's worked the best for you. Rogain? Propetia? Something else? Mine's still fine, just not as thick as it was 20 years ago.

TIA

montanadave
02-04-14, 13:00
My solution was to start shaving my head. Probably not helpful. :D

sadmin
02-04-14, 13:01

same here...

Pork Chop
02-04-14, 13:35

Me too. By far the simplest and most cost effective, besides a nice comb over. :)

SteyrAUG
02-04-14, 13:45
My solution was gracefully accepting my age and just going with a close short cut.

Watrdawg
02-04-14, 13:59
In my early 20's I started balding. After I got out of the Army in 89 and went back to college I started using Rogaine for my thinning hair. Didn't really do much to help. Wasn't worth the money spent. I stopped using it after a year or so. The last haircut I got at a hair place was on 9/11. Ever since then I cut it myself with a pair of clippers and usually keep it buzzed short.

nimdabew
02-04-14, 14:14
I complain incessantly to my GF about my bald spot. She rolls her eyes. FYI, it is the size of a quarter; not much bigger.

halo2304
02-04-14, 15:21
Nim, consider yourself luck! My girlfriend puts he hand on my forehead and goes "squeak, squeak, squeak!" I'll get back at her one of these days.

nimdabew
02-04-14, 15:23
By reflex, I rubbed my bald spot with the tip of my finger. God I am getting old. I just turned 28 on Sunday.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-04-14, 16:08

Clint
02-04-14, 16:28
Don't fight it.

Embrace it.

Pick up one of these and never pay for a haircut again.

http://www.wahl-store.com/detail/WAH+79111-400

http://www.wahl-store.com/imagesEdp/p82791b.jpg

halo2304
02-04-14, 16:47
If I shaved my head, I think I'd look like Darth Vader...without the helmet.

WillBrink
02-04-14, 17:42
As I'm sure many of you have faced this, thought I'd ask what's worked the best for you. Rogain? Propetia? Something else? Mine's still fine, just not as thick as it was 20 years ago.

TIA

My article on the topic if interested: Hair Today Gone Tomorrow (http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/hair-today-gone-tomorrow-the-sequel/)

JoshNC
02-04-14, 18:50
There are many good options to treat hair loss. I sent you an email with my phone number. Would prefer to discuss this off the boards.

jmoore
02-04-14, 19:33
My solution was gracefully accepting my age and just going with a close short cut.

Ditto here! Considered the cue ball route and couldn't tolerate all the sweat running down my head.
I sweat like a pig and need something there to slow it down.
I just deal with it. - john

Javelin
02-04-14, 19:42
If hair loss is causes by DHT build up your doctor can prescribe 1mg of finesteride and that might get your levels back down and your hair to come back. But you'd need to do a blood test to check and it would be totally worth it IMHO.

-James

Frailer
02-04-14, 21:53

This.

Don Robison
02-04-14, 22:05
My male pattern baldness was cured by Gillette Mach3.

duece71
02-05-14, 06:11
Shave it and drive on! I haven't paid for a haircut in 10years. Forget the phoney hair treatments........unless of course you want to join the hair club for men. Hair club.....say it with me......Hair club......Hair plugs..Hair plugs......Hair plugs.

JSantoro
02-05-14, 08:10
Being a hirsute AND bald is one of the gods' crueler jokes.

Can't help but shudder/laugh to think of the Chia Pet monstrosity my head would be, given my available "donor areas"....I'd look like Gabe Kotter, without the schnozz....

jaxman7
02-05-14, 09:04

I am reminded of a certain General named McAuliffe in an area of Europe called Bastogne in 1944 whose reply to the German commander was the same I'll give to you and your comment on accepting old age:

NUTS!!!!

;)

-Jax

JoshNC
02-05-14, 12:16
Shave it and drive on! I haven't paid for a haircut in 10years. Forget the phoney hair treatments........unless of course you want to join the hair club for men. Hair club.....say it with me......Hair club......Hair plugs..Hair plugs......Hair plugs.

Hair plugs are a thing of the past. Modern hair transplant techniques allow for a completely natural appearance provided you have male pattern baldness (and not some other cause) and sufficient donor hair.

murphman
02-05-14, 12:28
Hair plugs are a thing of the past. Modern hair transplant techniques allow for a completely natural appearance provided you have male pattern baldness (and not some other cause) and sufficient donor hair.

Agree

Have a co worker that went to Bosley, hair looks normal. Only thing shocking was the 4 surgeries @ 7500$ each he paid :blink:

SteyrAUG
02-05-14, 13:01
I am reminded of a certain General named McAuliffe in an area of Europe called Bastogne in 1944 whose reply to the German commander was the same I'll give to you and your comment on accepting old age:

NUTS!!!!

;)

-Jax

So does this mean I need a earring, purple fauxhawk, multiple tattoos and a tapout shirt?

Abraham
02-05-14, 15:43
Once you get past a certain age, baldness is easier to accept. When yoo're still a young guy, going bald for some provides a serious sense of grief and I understand it. It's a bummer...

For me, I was 45. I couldn't believe I was going bald. For a year or so I was kinda bummed. O.K. I was freaked...

Finally, I said fu** it and bought a Wahl Senior hair clipper (this is what a lot barbers use) took the comb off and buzzed my head so close it looks like I shaved it, but with using the Wahl Sr. it's a lot less work than shaving.

I haven't been to a barber in decades (and saved a boat load of money and inconvenience - so going bald has it's pluses) and what little hair I've left isn't even gray, it's white.

...and I honestly don't give a shit!

Going bald and accepting it is cool.

Comb-overs, toupees, plugs, no way, come on, be a man...

There's nothing more pathetic than a comb-freaking-over. UGH!!