PDA

View Full Version : Of theses lowers which to sbr...

rapomstage3
02-05-14, 07:30
I know "what's the best lower to sbr" has been asked and is really all opinion. But I was wondering of my lowers what do the vets think. Bcm blem, noveske gen1,kac e3 with qd cups, colt 6920. The kac is by far my favorite but in ten years if they don't make those ambi parts I'm thinking that it might suck if something breaks. The bcm blem isn't one of those that you can't find the blem. It has the finish peeled right across the roll mark. I'm leaning towards the noveske but if I could acquire a Christmas cheer or kmc lower I would do one of those for sure. Sorry if this post is going to piss someone off.

JustG45
02-05-14, 08:16
Close your eyes and pick one?!

Mr. Clean
02-05-14, 08:36
I understand your concerns with the KAC and replacement parts (my favorite lower as well), but I would not lose sleep over the possibility of them not being around in 10 years. But if that is a real concern then take that lower out of the equation.

To whittle down further, the Colt and Noveske might have "brand premium" if you ever wanted to sell them down the road and might be worth leaving off the SBR list as well.

If it were me, I'd go with the BCM, especially if you don't mind the blem. It likely was the least costly to acquire, and if for some reason you ever wanted to sell the lower and new buyers balk due to the SBR engraving, you would have the ability to offer it out at a lower price to move it (although with all the stamp costs involved, you'd be a loser on that deal regardless). Plus, if it is your first SBR, you'll likely use it more than the others and the lower will get its own "blems" from training etc. Of course YMMV.

That being said, I would just make a decision and get the paperwork in. Then be prepared to sit around for a good nine months to a year waiting for the stamp.

NoveskeFan
02-05-14, 08:47
SBR a quality lower built to proper specs (your choices all look good). Make sure it goes together properly (both the LPK and upper fit) and that magazines drop free. It would suck to get it engraved, send of the paperwork, wait, and then find out when putting it together that something is wrong with the lower.

kdcgrohl
02-05-14, 09:00
The answer is they're all good choices.

What parts exactly do you think you'll have to replace on the Knight's ambi lower? The hard parts(mag & bolt release levers) aren't going to break, so at most you could look into what springs/detents they use and if non-standard, add some to the parts bin.

markm
02-05-14, 09:33
Sorry if this post is going to piss someone off.

Yes....

Tejasmtb
02-05-14, 09:36
I'd SBR the KAC or Noveske lower. I look at it like this, if I am going to spend $200 on a Form 1 stamp, the months of wait time for it to clear, not to mention the $50-60 for lower engraving, then I am going to make it worth my investment. Why would you spend that kind of money on a lower that isn't even worth the amount you will have to dump into it? Im sure some see it completely opposite of myself but if I had a KAC lower I would have no intentions of ever getting rid of it, same goes for the Noveske as long as it's not a Chainsaw lower, so a little engraving on the underside of the trigger guard wouldn't bother me in the least.

The KAC or Noveske get my vote. Keep the Colt to sell when things get crazy again and use the BCM on a budget build for a truck gun or for a friend or kid getting into their first AR.

Aaron_B
02-05-14, 09:57
As long as they all function fine, I say pick one and stop wasting time getting papers in.

Eurodriver
02-05-14, 10:06
Yes....

Hi Mark! Maybe he's throwing an LWRC upper on it. Best uppers in the world, ya know!

Dead Man
02-05-14, 10:09
I would build a functional miniature catapult. I would lay the lowers in question out on the driveway, perhaps twenty four inches apart (or thereabouts). I would then take the catapult into the street and begin lobbing small pieces of river rock at them, and then not register the one that gets hit first.

Hmm. But then I guess you're still left wondering which of the survivors to chose from.

Well you've stumped me, buddy. But you should use the catapult idea to eliminate one from candidacy: will make this job at least that much easier.

rapomstage3
02-05-14, 10:13
Hi Mark! Maybe he's throwing an LWRC upper on it. Best uppers in the world, ya know!

Not happening chief. 11.5" Bcm more than likely. I guess its not obvious by the lowers I own what i like. I'm not looking to ever part with any of them. Kac and Noveske are going to the grave. I think the Noveske will get the nod here. Also I'm pretty sure nothing on the kac will break but I guess I'm feeling like something a little more standard. Thanks all for the advice. Ill post pics next year when it the stamp rolls in.

rapomstage3
02-05-14, 10:15
I would build a functional miniature catapult. I would lay the lowers in question out on the driveway, perhaps twenty four inches apart (or thereabouts). I would then take the catapult into the street and begin lobbing small pieces of river rock at them, and then not register the one that gets hit first.

Hmm. But then I guess you're still left wondering which of the survivors to chose from.

Well you've stumped me, buddy. But you should use the catapult idea to eliminate one from candidacy: will make this job at least that much easier.
Real nice.

domestique
02-05-14, 14:53
KAC. All ambi, just buy some spare parts to squirrel away.

I would own spare parts for the lower even if it wasn't going to be SBR'd.

Koshinn
02-05-14, 15:29
There are two proprietary assemblies in a KAC lower, the ambi mag release and ambi bolt release. if either somehow break, you can just remove them and your lower will function like a standard lower.

Eric D.
02-05-14, 15:38
File with an eform and get your stamp in 4 months or so.

Thanks all for the advice. Ill post pics next year when it the stamp rolls in.

domestique
02-05-14, 16:48

Have fun with that! It took me 3 days of the server kicking me off to finally get a confirmation today. Unsurprisingly the payment feature worked smoothly..... But finalizing submission took forever.

domestique
02-05-14, 16:50
There are two proprietary assemblies in a KAC lower, the ambi mag release and ambi bolt release. if either somehow break, you can just remove them and your lower will function like a standard lower.

These 2 parts almost equal a BCM blem lower!, but are definitely worthwhile to have in the spare parts bin.

rapomstage3
02-05-14, 17:04

Hold on...hold on...hold on..I can e file? I thought you had to have a trust to do this. Is this correct. If so what's the site please.

davidjinks
02-05-14, 17:05
With all the talk of "Proprietary" parts and the such (Not sure if I'm even tracking with that thought process)…

I have a Colt LE6920 as my NFA. Out of the 2 KAC lowers I have, 1 will be on the NFA list. Hopefully I can get my poop squared away and get on with my projects.

If you're seriously worried about proprietary parts and what not, go with the Colt. Of course I picked the Colt because I'm biased and I like Colt.

rapomstage3
02-05-14, 17:12
This is why I asked here. I think I'm going with my kac.

Eric D.
02-05-14, 17:39
You do need a trust.

Hold on...hold on...hold on..I can e file? I thought you had to have a trust to do this. Is this correct. If so what's the site please.

Iraqgunz
02-05-14, 22:02
An SBR has little to no additional value unless it is factory. No one really wants your engraved lower plus you simply add a 16 barreled upped and it becomes a magical title 1 firearm.

rapomstage3
02-05-14, 22:11
I'm not sure if that was directed towards my original question but value has no weight on my decision.I would think that it would hurt the value completely but I'm fine being buried with mine.

Iraqgunz
02-05-14, 22:13
The point I was making is that the lower is irrelevant as long as the lower is in spec and functions. I would probably not do the KAC or Noveske.

I'm not sure if that was directed towards my original question but value has no weight on my decision.I would think that it would hurt the value completely but I'm fine being buried with mine.

domestique
02-05-14, 22:44
An SBR has little to no additional value unless it is factory. No one really wants your engraved lower plus you simply add a 16 barreled upped and it becomes a magical title 1 firearm.

What! ?

There goes my retirement. I was hoping to make a killing in 50 years by selling my heavily used SBR lower with it's 5 minute Krylon paint job and "John Doe Trust" engraved on it.

Good thing my 401k is doing so well this week! :(

scooter22
02-05-14, 22:57
I know "what's the best lower to sbr" has been asked and is really all opinion. But I was wondering of my lowers what do the vets think. Bcm blem, noveske gen1,kac e3 with qd cups, colt 6920. The kac is by far my favorite but in ten years if they don't make those ambi parts I'm thinking that it might suck if something breaks. The bcm blem isn't one of those that you can't find the blem. It has the finish peeled right across the roll mark. I'm leaning towards the noveske but if I could acquire a Christmas cheer or kmc lower I would do one of those for sure. Sorry if this post is going to piss someone off.

BCM blem for sure. The others have greater potential re-sale value if that ever becomes a necessity.

mtdawg169
02-05-14, 23:01
Nevermind, someone beat me to it.

domestique
02-05-14, 23:57
BCM blem for sure. The others have greater potential re-sale value if that ever becomes a necessity.

I think it depends on how much the OP values running a ambi lower. In my personal situation I have too many southpaws on my trust to even consider doing a standard lower.

Putting the whole universal receiver training issue aside it is easier/ more intuitive for family that isn't dedicated to training on multiple platforms to run an ambi lower somewhat proficiently.

TehLlama
02-06-14, 01:34
If the Ambi features of the KAC appeal to you in an SBR, go for it.

Otherwise, the BCM Blem is the winner - it's already a functional lower with the biggest detriment being that it's cosmetically not 100%. After you engrave it, guess what - to anybody else, it's cosmetically well below 100%. Just go with that unless you feel the ambi features possible with a setup like a Norgon AmbiCatch and BattleArmsDev Ambi Selector won't do it for you.