PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice please

seaclear
02-05-14, 10:21
THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT

Well I am finally picking up my rifle this weekend. I a getting a new RRA from a friend of mine who is a FFA and he is giving my a great deal. I know many people look at RRA not holding up to some of the other high end brands but I have a couple friends who shoot them and really like them. Keep in mind this is going to be a range gun mostly. I see my self shooting 1000-2000 rounds a year.

I plan on going to the range and shooting a good bit before I change anything but I have been reading and thought I might change out some parts to make the gun more reliable here was my thoughts for changing a few things out after I shoot it first.

1. Spikes or BCM Bolt carrier group
2. BCM charging Handle
3. mil-spec stock with h1 buffer
4. possibly looking at getting alg trigger to

Is there any thing else I should do or not due? is this a waste of money?

Thanks

markm
02-05-14, 11:19
I really wouldn't put a lot into this gun. Of your ideas, I'd say the trigger and buffer would be worthwhile.

I'd guess that You'd want an H2 minimum, and in all likelyhood and H3 buffer. I'd bet that the RRA is a little over gassed. On a correctly gassed gun, you'd want the H2.... this is assuming that it's a carbine gas system.

03scgt
02-05-14, 12:34
why buy a gun and spend money on upgrades for it just to make it the same price as a better gun with those upgrades already?

save the money and buy a bcm from grant

Airhasz
02-05-14, 13:27
Go to Wallmart, get groceries, buy a Colt and forget about replacing parts for reliability.

Colt guy
02-05-14, 13:47
Go to Wallmart, get groceries, buy a Colt and forget about replacing parts for reliability.

Wow I love this answer :D

LewP
02-05-14, 17:55
IMO if you don't have the rifle you want sell it and get the one you do want. You can put a dress on the pig but there's still a pig underneath. No offense intended.

In my experience, aftermarket upgrades usually end up costing more than what you'd pay to get the right product with the features you want in the first place. This seems to be true whether we're talking about motorcycles, cars or firearms.

And it would be tough to go wrong with Airhasz's suggestion.

Iraqgunz
02-05-14, 21:51
Your thought process doesn't make much sense. Unless you are getting this RRA for a smoking deal just buy a good AR to begin with. By the time you factor in the cost of those parts and the original purchase price, you are going to be upside down.

3 AE
02-05-14, 22:27
I'm behind you 110% OP. Definitely buy the RRA and definitely set aside some cash to get the primo upgrades.
BCM BCG: $189
BCM CH $45
Mil spec Stock And H buffer $48
Least expensive ALG Trigger Group $45
Total $327 + Shipping

Why spend $1000 on these:

http://www.ratworxusa.com/pagDetail.aspx?SKU=RW-Colt-LE-6920-MP

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

When you can have your top tier customized boomstick? Yes, your AR will be good to go to fulfill your requirements.

discreet
02-05-14, 22:38
Your thought process doesn't make much sense. Unless you are getting this RRA for a smoking deal just buy a good AR to begin with. By the time you factor in the cost of those parts and the original purchase price, you are going to be upside down.

Only thing I can think of is he's getting on to A: be like his friends, B: show his friends hes cool by picking up the same thing that they probably talk good about all the time.

See this stuff quite a bit, especially around the ranges here. One person who's actually a decent shot, has a hot wife, and a big truck has a dpms, suddenly all the others have one just to show that person they are cool like he is.

On the other side, I wonder if we have any FFL's here that can say what RRA's go for cost wise, or maybe with somd mfg incentives.

IMO OP, if you are truly getting it for such a smoking deal, I'd throw it right below everyone else on gun broker, then walk away and buy a Colt from wallymart like mentioned lol.

DreadPirateMoyer
02-05-14, 22:41
I'm behind you 110% OP. Definitely buy the RRA and definitely set aside some cash to get the primo upgrades.
BCM BCG: $189
BCM CH $45
Mil spec Stock And H buffer $48
Least expensive ALG Trigger Group $45
Total $327 + Shipping

Why spend $1000 on these:

http://www.ratworxusa.com/pagDetail.aspx?SKU=RW-Colt-LE-6920-MP

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

When you can have your top tier customized boomstick? Yes, your AR will be good to go to fulfill your requirements.

Was this post a joke or sarcastic? I hope so, because if not, that's awful advice. Even if the RRA were $700 and he put $327 of parts into it, it still wouldn't be as good as a 6920.

I can't imagine any universe where buying the RRA and upgrading it would be advantageous in any way compared to just buying a Colt.

ColtSeavers
02-05-14, 22:53
Was this post a joke or sarcastic? I hope so, because if not, that's awful advice. Even if the RRA were $700 and he put $327 of parts into it, it still wouldn't be as good as a 6920.

I can't imagine any universe where buying the RRA and upgrading it would be advantageous in any way compared to just buying a Colt.

Clearly sarcasm.

SilverBullet432
02-05-14, 23:15
There was a thread that went south just yesterday ( https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147057-Known-stag-complaints ) on a similar issue. Why buy a lesser gun and have to "upgrade" it? We ( or at least I ) aren't being hard on you OP, other guys who have posted in here are VERY knowledgeable with the AR platform.

ennbeegunny15
02-05-14, 23:23
I don't think these new folks have read the stickies or the previous posts from our more esteemed and experienced members. If they did they wouldn't be asking about stags and rra. I see this a lot on other forums. They want to save a buck, but want it to be ninjafied....

3 AE
02-05-14, 23:45
I don't think these new folks have read the stickies or the previous posts from our more esteemed and experienced members. If they did they wouldn't be asking about stags and rra. I see this a lot on other forums. They want to save a buck, but want it to be ninjafied....

You nailed it. Numerous threads in the past few months from posters wanting advice but in reality want confirmation that their less than stellar choice is up to snuff. The days of reading the stickies and doing just the basic of searches to formulate an opinion and making an informed decision are long past. It's a reflection of society in general. "Show me, school me, tell me what I should do." Then they come back with "Justify what you're telling me to do". Really, seriously? They need to learn the error of their ways with little or no input from us. It should cost them money. The industry will profit from their mistakes, as it should. Sarcasm? Maybe, maybe not! You want another example of me, me ,me? Go look over the posts in the Sticky, "Where I Can I Get It Thread". It wasn't too long ago when someone was just satisfied that a member was able to provide a source(s) for a hard to find item. Now it's just as common for someone to request not just a source but the cheapest source. Yeah, spend the time to look up something that they themselves could have easily perused the Internet for more often than not. Hmmmm... maybe we need to let others find the way all by themselves now and then.

Tigereye
02-06-14, 06:09
Seaclear,
Look in the "New to firearms and shooting" forum on the main page. The "knowledge based thread" section has all of the info. you are seeking. The other stickies also have tons of useful info. These were the threads I read when I was told to buy a DPMS and started my research. I actually bought a Daniel Defense M4V1 and have never regretted it. Good luck
Eric

walkin' trails
02-06-14, 08:01
I'm guilty of not doing much research prior to buying one. That said, I've spent the last year trying to learn more about them. I have used an employer furnished RRA for 10 years, and never had any issues. My company gun is approaching 10k rounds without any failures or breakages. I've seem some others hiccup - trigger mechs, but most of the problems I've seen with ARs in general are user induced. Lack of maintenance will put anything out of action if it is habitual. I have a personal RRA that I bought sort if as a "commemorative" that has run fine for the 500 short rounds I've fired thru it. I will not part with it for the aforestated reason, but wish I had paid more attention before buying it. Most of the other company guns I see, to include other brands seldom see more than 400 rounds per year, if that, and may rust away before being worn out. If you're already locked into that deal, either shoot it or sell it. If not, try to get your FFL buddy to line you up with something else.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

JSantoro
02-06-14, 08:30
Keep in mind this is going to be a range gun mostly. I see my self shooting 1000-2000 rounds a year.

You're already somewhat ahead of the game, in that you appear to be being honest with yourself in terms of usage. A great many simply are not, or haven't even thought of it in those terms.

Here's the AR GD Knowledge Base Threads list: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7355-Knowledge-Based-Threads

If you're set on the RR, the thread specific to what you're asking is this one: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7376-quot-Oh-No!-I-bought-a-BM-RRA-Stag-before-I-knew-better!-quot

markm's suggestion of an H2 buffer is a good one, if you go that route. H is a minimum, given their gas port sizes.

AR Technical has a more extensive Knowledge Base Threads list, if you feel like digging deeper, so as to provide background as to why folks are hurling "Buy a Colt!" (and similar) at you.

C4IGrant
02-06-14, 08:38
THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT

Well I am finally picking up my rifle this weekend. I a getting a new RRA from a friend of mine who is a FFA and he is giving my a great deal. I know many people look at RRA not holding up to some of the other high end brands but I have a couple friends who shoot them and really like them. Keep in mind this is going to be a range gun mostly. I see my self shooting 1000-2000 rounds a year.

I plan on going to the range and shooting a good bit before I change anything but I have been reading and thought I might change out some parts to make the gun more reliable here was my thoughts for changing a few things out after I shoot it first.

1. Spikes or BCM Bolt carrier group
2. BCM charging Handle
3. mil-spec stock with h1 buffer
4. possibly looking at getting alg trigger to

Is there any thing else I should do or not due? is this a waste of money?

Thanks

When I first got into AR's, I thought it would be GREAT to have a bull barreled varmint rifle (from RRA). So I bought one. Then I decided to carry it around hunting. Then I found out that I had made a horrible mistake.

Young males tend to be very short sighted when it comes to buying firearms (especially AR's). They never think about the future. As you shoot with your friends at the range, one of them decides to learn how to properly defend themselves with an AR and takes a couple training classes. He brings back what he has learned to the range so that he and his friends can start doing drills and such. Then the bug hits you. You realize that you know nothing about anything and dive head first into the training world. Its at this point you wish that you would have bought a different AR.

So my advice to you is ONLY accept the RRA if is it UNDER $600. If it is over that, pass. Why? Because the best "budget" AR made is the S&W M&P Sport (which can be had for under $600). http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=811036

If you do get a great deal on the RRA, first thing to realize is that they are typically very heavy. So get rid of anything that is extra weight. Then, check the gas key and make sure it is properly staked. RRA has a bad habit of putting .223 chambers in there 5.56 marked guns so it isn't a bad idea to check that as well. RRA AR's are over gassed (by a lot). So look at going with at least an H2 or maybe even an H3 buffer. A CS buffer spring from SpringCo isn't a bad idea either.

You can buy a spare BCG, but just keep it as a spare and shoot the RRA BCG. The BCM GFCH is a good idea no matter the gun.

Good luck.

C4