PDA

View Full Version : A1 Colt kits $356.95

IBMer
02-05-14, 12:57
Any one looking for A! kits under $500.00, in stock ready to ship?
LGoutdoors.com has over 700 in stock. I got one and wrote the first review. Came with all the usual stuff plus two Colt 30 round mags. Uppers are forge coded C H. $356.95!!!
IBMer

SurplusShooter
02-05-14, 13:30
Are these the same A1 kits that Sportsman's Guide and Centerfire Systems are selling?
By that I mean these things seem to be all-over the place, and in all examples I have seen the barrel is missing and the lower parts are messed-up or destroyed (as required for legal reasons, I think. ?).

I looked at buying one of those kits for a Retro Build, but by the time I added up all the cost and trouble (possible bad parts) I figured it would be easier for me to buy known-good parts for a (my first) Retro Build.

glocktogo
02-05-14, 14:29
The description says minus lower, barrel and sear. http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_IO AR150011

Why no barrel? That's one of the most important parts in a build kit, particularly for an A1! :(

IBMer
02-05-14, 17:04
There is nothing wrong with the parts except some are illegal, the trigger hammer and disconnector will need to be replaced with aftermarket.
I just thought since people have been paying $450 to $550 for these kits some one might appreciate this price and availability.
None of the kits include barrels and I have no idea why but if I was doing a retro build I would want the Colt upper and all the other original Colt parts. And yes it is expensive to build a retro.
IBMer

IBMer
02-05-14, 17:06
The description says minus lower, barrel and sear. http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_IO AR150011

Why no barrel? That's one of the most important parts in a build kit, particularly for an A1! :(

Original Colt pencil barrels go for $700 to $800.

Leaveammoforme
02-05-14, 17:50
Working link

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_IO+AR150011

SpeedRacer
02-05-14, 18:18
Barrels are not included because these kits are being imported, same rules as AK kits. $350 seems like a great price, I see them regularly sell out at $450 and up.

rljatl
02-05-14, 18:20
Does the buttstock on yours have the trapdoor or not?

TX0303
02-05-14, 21:04
Dang, I just got one from WhatACountry.
Did the hanguard break during shipping? You gave a pretty glowing review for a kit with busted parts.

I see the importer was IO, Inc. They had announced at SHOT show one year ago they were going to start building rifles from these type of kits. Wonder if they just decided to sell them off?

IBMer
02-05-14, 21:32
These have the trapdoor with a cracked shoulder. I will tell everyone where to get those cheap also later.
The handguard did not break in shipping but I made it sound like it did.
I gave the kit 5 stars because it is better than the others I have seen but not a lot of difference. Most of the handguards will have some damage.
I think they are a steal at this price.
IBMer

HackerF15E
02-05-14, 22:05
Pretty good price if the quality is decent. Some of the photos of the most recent "Royal Tiger" parts kits back in December showed some pretty ugly wear.

IBMer
02-05-14, 22:12
Pretty good price if the quality is decent. Some of the photos of the most recent "Royal Tiger" parts kits back in December showed some pretty ugly wear.
These kits have considerable cosmetic wear but mine functions very well. Tlhey are veterans and look like it
They are not cheaper than the others because they are not as good or anything. Most likely the same as all the other higher dollar ones.

Glockace
03-17-14, 14:55
Original Colt pencil barrels go for $700 to $800.

I found barrels here for 189.99. Just have to watch to be able to buy. Rafael

http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19

discreet
03-17-14, 23:57
I found barrels here for 189.99. Just have to watch to be able to buy. Rafael

http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19

1/9 twist, no metal type, no hp/mpi. yeaa, may as well just get a delton if going that generic, at least delton with attempt to replace their crap with more crap lol.

HackerF15E
03-18-14, 09:55
I bought one of these pencil barrels by mistake (long story);

- The barrel looked very well made and finished
- Customer service from AR15Sport.com was excellent and I had no issues returning it for refund.

Glockace
03-18-14, 09:59
Why did you return?

omega21
03-18-14, 21:40
Why did you return?

I'd like to know as well. Was looking at the A1 upper (generic) from them...

HackerF15E
03-19-14, 08:46
Why did you return?

I decided not to build one of these kits.

Trunkmonkey4
03-25-14, 22:09
I just got my kit in today, I was a little weary at first after reading how they just "toss everything in a box". Well the only broken (really just cracked) part in my batch is the end plate for the stock and it is still perfectly usable once the buffer screw is in.

Also, anyone needing barrels: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/m16-a1-5-56mm-20-1-12-twist-20-barrel/ .

Now I just gotta play the waiting game for my lower (re-profiled and engraved 80%) .

decodeddiesel
03-26-14, 11:54
Well I have to hand it to LG Outdoors. That is the absolute worst website I have seen in years. Literally every link on their site, including the search, is broken.

Tokarev
03-27-14, 22:48
LG is throwing in a KCI Beta-Mag clone through the end of the month. Sell that sucker on gunbroker to help pay for the kit!

What are you guys using for lowers? Is anyone other than Nodak making an A1 style?

Trunkmonkey4
03-29-14, 19:45
I am going with a reprofilied 80%.

IBMer
04-02-14, 22:53
I am going with a reprofilied 80%. I read an article about thr FEDs raiding a company that sells 80% lowers. They took their computers and customer list of everyone who purchased the lowers I think the company was "AERS" or something like that! Be careful. I know of a lower that is as good or better than the Nodak Spud. I had one and I will try to find out who they were. I remember GPI custom gunworks and they were out of Jacksonville Fl. The lowers can be ordered without logo and had three position selector markings and an A1 profile and was high quality at about $120.
I think they may be out of business (what a shame) I had lost the .com to thier website which I visited two months ago and they had over a hundred of the lowers in stock. I wish I could have bought several. If anyone knows anything please post. Thanks
IBMer

IBMer
04-02-14, 23:01
Well I have to hand it to LG Outdoors. That is the absolute worst website I have seen in years. Literally every link on their site, including the search, is broken. I agree and I wonder if they know something we do not. I wonder why they are in such a hurry to sell these kits? They were selling well before they added the free 100 rounder. Is there some kinda ban in the works? I guess we shall see as I have three of these kits now, one for me and one each for my two boys (young men). Actually they are into girls and don't pay much attention to the guns anymore.
IBMer

rmeyer
04-06-14, 17:58
I bought my barrel from ar15 sport.. Very happy with it. Shoots like a dream.. I also picked one up recently from Dez out of Wisconsin, thinking I'll build another one..

IBMer
04-06-14, 23:27
I bought my barrel from ar15 sport.. Very happy with it. Shoots like a dream.. I also picked one up recently from Dez out of Wisconsin, thinking I'll build another one.. I got a barrel from them and was satisfied but I removed the gas block/front sight to install the one that came with my kit and the holes did not match, I was lucky that one of the "notches in the barrel closest to the handguard was ok and I was able to drill the second one to match the Colt block. I built another and got my barrel from Green mountain, 1/12 twist and not drilled so I had no problem drilling and installing the front sight. I am happy with this barrel also and it shoots the 55grain well. I have not tried any heavy bullets and probably won't as I don't hunt and if I did this would not be the rifle I would use.
IBMer

Switch
04-10-14, 14:45
I just ordered one of these kits and most of the parts have some kind of crack, I expected some cosmetic wear but this is more than I expected.

Both of the handguards are cracked 1 is cracked towards the receiver and 1 is cracked towards the muzzle end probably half the way from top to bottom, the stock is cracked above the trap door where the screw goes but this was some of the stuff I expected, the thing that bothers me is that the upper receiver looks like it was drug around on the carry handle, almost like it was drug behind a truck on a gravel road for a few miles and near the sight the handle is actually bent in a little bit. I haven't messed with it enough to see if it would effect zeroing, I opened the box when I was at home for lunch and didn't have time to look at everything. I haven't had a chance to look at the BCG or some of the other parts just the bigger pieces.

I don't know if it's worth ordering another one and see if maybe I can mix match parts to build a good one or get the parts individually elsewhere, my main concern right now is the upper receiver is there a place to find decent real uppers?

IBMer
04-16-14, 08:29
I got one of the kits with everything broken. At the time LGO did not say the kits were non returnable and they would not talk to me about an exchange. Then in red letters their listing was changed to "no returns accepted" I find this very disturbing as who wants to shell out nearly $400 on a chance that they may get burned. I understand these were priced right and the incentives are good but now I am afraid to order another.
I do not think that it would be a big deal for them to at least take a look at what they are shipping before sending it out and maybe cull some of the junk kits. They could always sell the good parts.
I do not know where to find a good upper reciever Switch.
IBMer

marZ1
04-16-14, 09:54
I have one in route. It still does not show shipped on their website. Would it be a good idea to cancel the order now? I have been excited about this project but don't like to gamble.

Switch
04-16-14, 11:01
It took a couple days to get a email from them about tracking but when I did get the number it was on my porch the next day so I imagine they shipped it already they're just slow on getting the tracking number to you.

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did mine.

IBMer
04-16-14, 12:04
I have one in route. It still does not show shipped on their website. Would it be a good idea to cancel the order now? I have been excited about this project but don't like to gamble. I would not cancel, even the rough one I got is usable and you may get a really nice one. Once they are gone who knows when or if there will be more.

Switch
04-16-14, 12:11
Mine wasn't a total loss I did end up getting a couple magazines the KCI mag and the BCG must've been replaced before they retired it, mine was in pretty good condition it was dirty but I cleaned it up and it's in a little better shape than my 6940 BCG which probably has 1500 rounds through it.

marZ1
04-16-14, 12:24
That makes me feel better.

marZ1
04-18-14, 11:05
Got my kit today. Looks OK. Pretty beat up overall but the bolt and carrier look good. The rest is broken or cracked. It's going to be a big project but that is what I was looking for.

IBMer
04-26-14, 23:47
LG is throwing in a KCI Beta-Mag clone through the end of the month. Sell that sucker on gunbroker to help pay for the kit!

What are you guys using for lowers? Is anyone other than Nodak making an A1 style? My post about the GPI lowers got appropriately moved. Anyway I was misled as these had the Black Rain logo and were being made for them when GPI bankrupted so I have no plans to get them at this time. Sorry, they would have been great.

moose67
05-02-14, 14:46
I bought one of the parts kits from what a country little more, no cracks except the butt plate for the stock and they included a replacement without crack very happy all other parts where in nice condition, built it up on a spikes lower I had sitting around, might as well have sum fun with it since I have to wait for the NoDak retro lower.

rmeyer
05-03-14, 12:59
any idea on the wait time from Nodak. I was thinking on a upper and lower?

moose67
05-03-14, 19:01
They would not say, my feeling 6 plus months

rmeyer
05-03-14, 22:07
You would think with the demand they would gear up production..