PDA

View Full Version : Glock 42 Issues??

ucrt
02-05-14, 21:50

I heard, (from a reliable resource) that Glock has stopped shipping 42's out until it's "issue" can be resolved.

Just wondering, if any Dealers or Distributors have been notified that their orders will be delayed or has anyone heard reports of repeated failures?

RWH24
02-06-14, 00:07
Jerry Miculek had numerous Fail to feed issues in his review of the G42.

Wade your way through skipping ahead to where he shoots the G42. Starts shooting about 5:00min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOkPAET86c

ygbsm
02-06-14, 07:12
No one noticed the irony of his review of the Glock pistol wearing his Smith & Wesson shirt?

Not like they make something simliar, like the .380 Bodyguard.....

C4IGrant
02-06-14, 08:51
No one noticed the irony of his review of the Glock pistol wearing his Smith & Wesson shirt?

What you are proposing is that Jerry is unethical in some way shape or form. I would be careful with this.

C4

SiGfever
02-06-14, 09:53
I loved it during the video when says he is shooting to the left and it must be "Bad Trigger Technique"! :lol:

_Stormin_
02-06-14, 10:09
The dryer technique is definitely interesting. :D

DocH
02-06-14, 10:17
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;1850283]What you are proposing is that Jerry is unethical in some way shape or form. I would be careful with this.

C4[/QUOTE I suppose that statement could be taken that way for sure,but we know that Miculek always gives honest assessments from his own personal perspective.
The fact that he shoots for and is sponsored by S&W is a well known fact but I consider him an honest man and I don't believe it would have any bearing on his honest evaluation of a product,as he sees it. But,as stated by Grant we might want to be cautious with things that could be taken out of context.
This new pistol may have some teething problems for sure but these days that seems to be the norm for new pistols. Nothing different or surprising here.

samuse
02-06-14, 10:24
Everything Glock has ever made outside of 9 & 10mm, and sometimes the 9 & 10mm has been somewhat shitty.

It doesn't take an analytical scientist to figure that out.

nate89
02-06-14, 12:17
Everything Glock has ever made outside of 9 & 10mm, and sometimes the 9 & 10mm has been somewhat shitty.

I wouldn't paint with such a broad brush. Granted I only have experience with what I personally own and what local shooters do that I see at classes etc., but I have been very impressed with the Glock 21. There were two of us that put around 1000 rounds each downrange at a class, with one FTF between us (my fault). I found the recoil to be very manageable, and the gun was very accurate.

jpeezy
02-06-14, 12:45
I have several co workers who've purchased the Glock 42, but no range reports yet. I've carried a 21 as my primary duty gun for 8 years and put an estimated 20-25000 rounds through it with no issues other than routine maintenance. I'm still curious about the 42 and will give it a while before I drop the hammer, it has the possibility of being a great pocket gun and has attractive blue label pricing in a platform I'm familiar with.

30 cal slut
02-06-14, 14:39
I just called Glock customer service in Smyrna.

They said they're still making them and still shipping them.

OP, can you clarify your source?

Stuff like this lends itself to rumors.

BIGUGLY
02-06-14, 15:45
had a fellow officer run one with around 500 rounds through it, no problems he only said that the 380 sig was a softer shooter and felt like shooting a .22 but said the glock was pretty nice.

c3006
02-06-14, 16:39
GLOCK haters are Gonna hate!

steyrman13
02-06-14, 17:09
I'm a huge glock fan. Mostly 9mm/10mm though. I shot a brand new one during its first 100 rnds. I mostly had brass to face/forearm issues and on round(last round) flipped directly up about 6" and landed right back in place on the mag follower from slide lock back.
It was very smooth and mild recoil, better than lcp or bodyguard in that department IMHO.

RWH24
02-06-14, 17:17
The video was made by Miculek.com. He also has other names on his shirt.

Miculek.com- 'Your ULTIMATE Firearms Resource!'

High Tower
02-06-14, 18:40

He addresses this in the video - to be a well rounded competitive shooter, he likes to shoot all types of guns.

In regards to the OP, I haven't heard about any issues. We just got one in the shop today.

Hank6046
04-16-14, 09:17
I saw this post about a month ago and can now add to it. We recently got a Glock 42 for a rental gun at my Gun Shop and Range and had issues right off the bat of failure to fully eject spent cartridges and for the slide to lock all the way forward, we just cleaned the hell out of it and I bet in the 3 weeks or so we've had it customers have put around a 1000rds through it with no issues. I think the biggest issue with that gun for me is the trigger has a much longer pull than my old G19, however for a pocket 380, I can't complain too much

mayonaise
04-16-14, 10:04
It's interesting in the JM video that he seems rather unfamiliar with Glocks. He wasn't aware that Glock strikers float and thought that might be the cause of a couple of misfeeds. I found that his assessment of the gun to be unbiased and attributed shooting left to be how he initially managed the trigger. This is something that I've found shooting the 42 myself and I've shot thousands of rounds through the 42. It's a much shorter trigger reach in combination to a heavy trigger and takes some getting used to. Also shooting the gun right hand only I have to be conscious of interfering with the slide stop lever. Additionally, getting real agressive on the gun with two hands can cause interrupting the slide while firing, inducing feeding and ejecting issues. Just takes some time to come to grips with how you shoot that gun. After that, it's a lot of fun to shoot and the accuracy is better than I am.

Flankenstein
04-16-14, 10:29

LOL! Yeah.....

Glock30
04-16-14, 13:42

No irony here! He wears that shirt in every other video that he makes.

WickedWillis
04-16-14, 14:07

I would throw the mainstay .45's in there as well. The 21 and the 30 have ran flawlessly in my experiences. The 36 is not considered a mainstay fyi.

30 cal slut
04-21-14, 13:21
Uh-oh:

http://bearingarms.com/uh-oh-is-the-glock-42-as-much-of-a-misfire-as-the-remington-r51/

I have had a G42 for about a month now. In each trip to the range I have had repeated FTE’s and FTF’s. This happens with both mags included with the gun. It happens with two brands of 380 FMJ ammo.

What I have noticed is the problem happens when the magazine is fully loaded. Consistent problems. Using tap and rack clearing has produced a number of type 3 malfunctions. A type 3 malfunction is very rare in most guns and really hard to produce. Not so with this gun. In short this handgun is thoroughly unreliable. This is unacceptable in a defensive handgun. Shame on me for buying one of the early models. My serial number is 390. I should have known better.

I have contacted Glock and they were supposed to send me authorization to return it to the factory. Three days have passed with no authorization yet. Based on what I am reading, I suspect if I get to send it back they will look at it and tell me it is within specifications.

ucrt
04-24-14, 22:08

FWIW, I looked at a new 42 at a Cabelas the other day and noticed the barrel feed ramps were not finished. Looked at a 19 from the shelf and the 19's feed ramps were finished.

Looks like the feed ramps were "re-milled" after it was finished??

Has anyone noticed unfinished feed ramps on their 42's?

...but maybe it's just me...

okie john
04-25-14, 00:26
Jerry Miculek had numerous Fail to feed issues in his review of the G42

Do you think Glock will accuse him of limp-wristing it?

Okie John

jimmyp
05-04-14, 15:27
first magazine, mine failed to feed the third round, 4 boxes latter not another problem. fairly accurate as well, short reset on the trigger can dump 7 rounds in under 2 seconds into a pie plate at 10 feet.

ucrt
05-15-14, 19:00

In the past few weeks I've seen two 42's with raw metal Feed Ramps and I've seen two with finished Feed Ramps, all at different shops.

Has anyone been able to compare an early finished Feed Ramp to what appears to be the later "remilled" unfinished Feed Ramp?

Just wondering why are the Feed Ramps different.

cttbax
05-18-14, 05:25

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SteveS
05-21-14, 10:34
Cars guns etc. It is foolish to buy the first or second year of anything.

Hank6046
05-21-14, 22:57
Today at my LGS I cleaned the Glock 42, for the first time in 2 weeks, in that time it had accumulated about 500rds, with no issues. The first week we had it in, the slide wouldn't fully lock forward after the 2nd shot or so, but after a good cleaning, it works just fine. This gun is a rental and shoots only federal ammo. If I had to guess I'd say approximately 1500 rds have been fired by our Glock 42, and 1490 of those rounds were fired with no problems. I feel like when a problem arises, people tend to talk and blow it out of proportion, instead they should look in the manual, clean the weapon and use proper ammo, and you'll be fine.