PDA

View Full Version : 870 magazine spring question?

GaryO
02-06-14, 12:39
I just purchased an 870 Tactical Synthetic 12 gauge with 7 shot capacity. This morning I was loading it to the top for home defense and as the magazine spring became more compressed, it occurred to me that these factory springs might take a "set" after setting ready to go for a long period of time. What say you? Is there an aftermarket spring worth buying? Thanks...

JustG45
02-06-14, 13:17
Keep it loaded. A spring becomes weak from being compressed/decompressed so many times. Buy a spare to have around if you feel better.

brushy bill
02-08-14, 23:37
Keep it loaded. A spring becomes weak from being compressed/decompressed so many times. Buy a spare to have around if you feel better.

This is what I would do also.

Uni-Vibe
10-03-14, 17:23
I have a Defender type shotgun, tube holds seven rounds. I only keep five in it. I figure, if I've fired 5 rounds of 00 and I still have trouble, better call the cavalry . . . or load the AR.

williejc
10-03-14, 20:10
Years ago I discovered that the Win law enforcement buckshot in my 870 deformed under pressure by compressing to a point that prevented chambering. I was using a factory extension that allowed loading 6 shells in the tube. This experience is not typical but does point out that we need to monitor shells loaded under pressure in a tube and left there for months. Now I'm more careful.