PDA

View Full Version : Walther pistol question

Slater
02-06-14, 14:20
Anyone know the difference between the PPQ and the PPX?

cwgibson
02-06-14, 14:26
Price and trigger that I know of. This has been covered here before I would think.

Sam
02-06-14, 14:37
PPQ - striker fired, similar to the Glocks. Interchangeable back straps.

PPX - hammer fired, double action only. Non interchangeable grip. Blockier slide than the PPQ. Considered to be a more economical (cheaper) than the PPQ.

Slater
02-06-14, 14:41
Handled a PPX today at a local gun store. Seemed like a lot of pistol for the money but I haven't heard much feedback on it. PPQ seems to be the preferred gun between the two.

B Cart
02-06-14, 14:59
I don't have all the technical data, but I have shot both multiple times, and the PPX has a bigger (taller) slide, and the trigger is completely different (DAO). The PPX seems much bulkier than the PPQ, and seems like a cheaper 'entry level quality' gun. That being said, I was pretty surprised at how smoothly and accurately the PPX shot, and the trigger wasn't bad at all. And they are currently on sale at my local Cabelas for $375! For that price, its hard to go wrong.

I love my PPQ's and will stick with them, but if you were on a tight budget, the PPX seems like a winner.

Slater
02-06-14, 16:43
Extracted from the online PPQ M2 manual:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your PPQ pistol or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more frequent service.

“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in WALTHER firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated.

Would the recommendation to avoid +P ammo be a deal breaker for some folks?

Tzed250
02-06-14, 16:55
Extracted from the online PPQ M2 manual:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your PPQ pistol or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more frequent service.

“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in WALTHER firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated.

I don't see where it says to avoid +P. It is a statement saying that +P could accelerate wear.

The PPX gets the job done.

IMHO the PPQ will get the job done better.

luvmy40
02-06-14, 18:05
I actually like the PPX trigger better than the PPQ, though I don't own the PPQ so my experience with it is limited to a couple range sessions.

Aside from the striker vs. hammer fired and the bulkier slide difference the PPX barrel/chamber locking lug and feed ramp is a 3 piece assembly. It appears to be a MIM (or other casting) breach lug with the barrel press fit and the ramp welded in place. I assume that this is the primary cost saving components.

I would not classify it as DAO, its' more a pre-charged hammer. It's a nice shooting pistol, though I do wish it had double strike capability.

Slater
02-06-14, 18:22
I like the look and feel of the PPX, although I know at least two people who say they'd never buy it based on looks (or lack thereof) alone. It does kinda look like someone carved it out of a block of cheese.

Sam
02-06-14, 21:26
I like the look and feel of the PPX, although I know at least two people who say they'd never buy it based on looks (or lack thereof) alone. It does kinda look like someone carved it out of a block of cheese.

The PPX looks like a Highpoint.

I love my PPQ gen 1.

R0CKETMAN
02-07-14, 04:46

Some, sure....me, no...i put RA9TA though mine for function and subsequent carry (disclaimer: sold M1 PPQ with intention to replace with M2). You'll open a can of worms by broaching the +p /+p+ debate. Run what works for you

Timbonez
02-07-14, 11:35
Those excerpts say nothing about NOT using +p ammo. The manual simply states that +p ammo will accelerate wear, which it will do on any pistol compared to standard pressure ammo. Only +p+ ammo is to be avoided.