PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these two pair of hiking boots would you buy?

Lawdog-1
02-06-14, 15:50
I am looking at these two close out hiking boots would you buy? I want to stay in this price range, Asolo FSN 95 GT at Sierra for $129.95 or Merrell Sawtooth Amazon.com $119.95 plus shipping

Dennis
02-06-14, 15:59
In my experience Asolo's run narrower than Merrell's. This is only after buying 2 pairs of Asolo boots and 3+pairs of Merrell's over the years. Your results may vary...

sammage
02-06-14, 16:29
Really enjoy my Sawtooths, and have to say Dennis is spot on regarding the width of Asolos.

jnr4817
02-06-14, 22:54
I own the asolo's, merrel's, and salomon quests. I prefer the quest 4ds. The asolo's are more narrow and the sawtooths did not hold up for very long.

I have a lightly used pair of the asolo's in size 10. If interested, pm me.

Dennis
02-06-14, 23:57
My favorite boots for comfort, support, and getting into various shooting positions comfortably are Lowa 's.

Quiet-Matt
02-07-14, 04:35
I have been wearing the sawtooths for a couple of years now. They have been pretty good boots overall. I have had two speed lace eyelets come off (totally my fault), and they were easily anf and cheaply re attached by a local shoe cobbler. Merrell will pay for repairs up to $25 also. I've had pretty good luck with their CS. I wear them at work and I'm pretty rough on boots. This is the only pair that has lasted.

Lawdog-1
02-07-14, 06:36
I wear size 14 shoe/boot.

LSK
02-07-14, 13:30
I have worn both and found the Asolo to be more durable than the Merrell's. I would buy the one that fits the best.

Lawdog-1
02-07-14, 16:10
Well, all the stores in Greenville,NC quit selling hiking boots. I will have to order them online or by phone.

millerlite
02-07-14, 19:19
I know they are not on your list but another vote for salomon. I went through a pair of merrell's in about two months. Salomon boots have lasted about 1 1/2 yrs.

Lawdog-1
02-07-14, 20:01
I ordered this afternoon a pair ASOLO FSN 95 Gore-Tex on clearance at Sierra w/ coupon $95.00

Mak8080
02-09-14, 13:12
I've had a few pairs of Asolos and they have always been comfortable. I like Salomons as well.

Dead Man
02-09-14, 13:42
Good choice. I have the exact same pair of Asolos I grabbed about two years ago because they were on sale and seemed like they'd be good spring hikers. They've proven to be one of the most durable and supportive hiking boots I've ever owned, and I've actually used them for summer mountaineering boots. I certainly wouldn't try to climb waterfall ice with them, but I've climb ~20' ice steps in strap-on crampons and plenty of 5th class rock in them.

And they're still in excellent condition. Very happy with them.

And, I should add, I have a wide knuckle and have to stick with mid to wide boots. The Asolos are very comfortable.

Slippers
02-09-14, 19:59
Asolo offers different widths. I have extremely wide feet, and have worn Asolo boots for nearly 20 years. My first pair from the mid-90s was just like the TPS 520 GV, full leather, and saw multiple trips through Philmont. I miss those boots, as I outgrew them eventually.

I currently have a pair of Fugitive GTX that are a couple years old, plus a decade old pair of FSN 95 GTX. Both in the wide width. I do a good bit of backpacking, day hiking, and other outdoor fun that requires good boots, and can't recommend Asolo enough. I find Asolo's "wide" to be large enough for doubled up socks without feeling like my foot is stuffed width-wise, which has always been important to me for long distance backpacking.

I love both pairs, but the Fugitives get the most use these days, as the toe box is a bit more square and roomy compared to the FSN 95.

Jeff0780
02-10-14, 07:26
Well, all the stores in Greenville,NC quit selling hiking boots. I will have to order them online or by phone.

There's an REI in Raleigh that sells most of the boots mentioned. I Have the Asolo Fugitive GTX boots which seen to be very well made but like others said they are narrown. For a light weight boot the Salomon xa pro 3d ultra 2 gtx boot is nice, i have those in both low and mid. I just ordered a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX hoping they fit good so i can sell i can sell the Asolos.

Lawdog-1
02-10-14, 08:05
Jeff what is a REI ?

montanadave
02-10-14, 08:40
Jeff what is a REI ?

I'll save Jeff a post. REI is a sporting goods/outdoor equipment merchant with a co-op business model offering discounted products to members. They also have retail outlets scattered around the country. http://www.rei.com/

ra2bach
02-10-14, 13:30
Asolo offers different widths. I have extremely wide feet, and have worn Asolo boots for nearly 20 years. My first pair from the mid-90s was just like the TPS 520 GV, full leather, and saw multiple trips through Philmont. I miss those boots, as I outgrew them eventually.

I currently have a pair of Fugitive GTX that are a couple years old, plus a decade old pair of FSN 95 GTX. Both in the wide width. I do a good bit of backpacking, day hiking, and other outdoor fun that requires good boots, and can't recommend Asolo enough. I find Asolo's "wide" to be large enough for doubled up socks without feeling like my foot is stuffed width-wise, which has always been important to me for long distance backpacking.

I love both pairs, but the Fugitives get the most use these days, as the toe box is a bit more square and roomy compared to the FSN 95.

where do you find the wide width? I have a pair and they fit fine with just one pair of smartwool socks but a little extra width would help with a second pair of sock for cold weather...

Slippers
02-10-14, 15:50
where do you find the wide width? I have a pair and they fit fine with just one pair of smartwool socks but a little extra width would help with a second pair of sock for cold weather...

I've never seen the wide versions in stock at my local REI, or any brick and mortar retailer that carries Asolo (but it's not like I'm shopping for new boots except once every couple years). I've always had to order the wide versions online. For instance, go to http://www.rei.com/product/706762/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boots-mens and click on the drop down box for the sizing, and you'll find the wide versions at the bottom of the list.

The little tag on the tongue on the boot will also say "wide" after the model name, if you're looking at Asolo boots in person.

wrcpete
02-12-14, 08:30
I am a big fan and supporter if Asolo but I would try a bunch of boots on before buying. I own Asolo and they are great. I prefer full leather over synthetic for my hiking boots.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Voodoo_Man
02-12-14, 08:54
Salomon quest boots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B16SWDY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00B16SWDY&linkCode=as2&tag=reviews01f3-20)

Except nothing else.

calicojack
02-13-14, 05:17
Salomon quest boots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B16SWDY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00B16SWDY&linkCode=as2&tag=reviews01f3-20)

Except nothing else.

$259 i think pretty much doubles his stated budget....

Voodoo_Man
02-13-14, 06:48
$259 i think pretty much doubles his stated budget....

They can be found cheaper online and I didn't search.

They are expensive for a reason, because they rule.

Outlander Systems
02-13-14, 07:21
I have worn both and found the Asolo to be more durable than the Merrell's. I would buy the one that fits the best.

Agreed.

My Asolos have been bombproof...

...my Merrells are currently held together with super glue...

YMMV

Hound
02-13-14, 07:38
Asolos FTW. Merrells do not hold up very well to hard use in my experience.

Lawdog-1
02-13-14, 07:43
calicojack, I am on a looking a $150.00 and lower price. my boots should be at my door steps ant day now.

Outlander Systems
02-13-14, 08:01
Asolos FTW. Merrells do not hold very well to hard use in my experience.

My wife's Merrells just had the soles completely come off.

Fugitives Still Going Strong after 3 years

MOABs soles are held on with Super Glue. Still functional, but unacceptable.

mkmckinley
02-13-14, 09:25
The only Merrells I have that I consider "real" boots are Sawtooths. I had a pair last three years including a deployment.

ra2bach
02-13-14, 13:12
I've never seen the wide versions in stock at my local REI, or any brick and mortar retailer that carries Asolo (but it's not like I'm shopping for new boots except once every couple years). I've always had to order the wide versions online. For instance, go to http://www.rei.com/product/706762/asolo-fugitive-gtx-hiking-boots-mens and click on the drop down box for the sizing, and you'll find the wide versions at the bottom of the list.

The little tag on the tongue on the boot will also say "wide" after the model name, if you're looking at Asolo boots in person.

thanks for that. must have missed it when I looked first time...

Moose-Knuckle
02-13-14, 17:20
My vote is for Asolo anything. I have the Echo's for warm weather and the Sasslong's for cold weather, by far the best footgear going.

Lawdog-1
02-18-14, 20:20
I got my Asolo boots on Monday and I will ship them back on Wed. I wear a Reg with shoe/boot, but these on too tight in the width. A got a email another pair has shipped out in 14 wide.

77nodnarb
02-19-14, 04:57
Asolo's all the way! I've had two pairs of Sawtooths and they both fell apart within a year of purchase. I then bought a pair of Asolo Fugitives and they have been rock solid for almost two years of heavy use. The comfort and durability cannot be matched.

docsherm
02-19-14, 14:21
I have been using Merrell Sawtooths since 2005. I am on my second pair and I have not found a better midweight hiker.

St.Michael
02-21-14, 09:50
Are you guys using this boots as everyday normal use boots? I was on the hunt for some boots like these and considering wearing the full time. I normally just rock a pair of DCs full time for about a year before I swap out. As I get older though I find them less and less comfortable.
OP How did your new boots work out? Also you said you wore a size 14? Do you have a wider foot also?

Larry Lee
02-21-14, 10:21
I must be getting to darn old because I have not heard of any of these boots! Of course I have just recently got around to buying an AR..Have been using a bolt gun for Fifty years and never met a deer or an elk that required more than one well placed 180 out of my ought-six. Viet Nam was different but back to boots I liked our jungle boots we were issued.

Lawdog-1
02-21-14, 19:17
As stated above I wear a Reg. with in my other shoes. My foot got a wee bit longer so I went from a 12 reg. to a 14 reg. in the rest of my tennis shoes, dress, and work boots. My foot as gotten worse in being flat footed and having heel spurs with age 47.

Lawdog-1
03-07-14, 06:06
I returned my Asolo boots too short. Greenville,NC got a new discount boot store. I bought a pair of Keens. They fit.

ra2bach
03-10-14, 14:29
Asolo's all the way! I've had two pairs of Sawtooths and they both fell apart within a year of purchase. I then bought a pair of Asolo Fugitives and they have been rock solid for almost two years of heavy use. The comfort and durability cannot be matched.

this has been my experience as well. while looking for the wide version of Asolo Fugitive I came on these lighter GTX hiking shoe and immediately ordered a pair. I was looking for a lighter boot than the Fugitive to replace the Merrel Moabs that the soles are wearing out...

http://www.trekkinn.com/media/asolo_38163/asolo-cactus-goretex-wool-man.jpg

Lawdog-1
03-10-14, 17:41
Well in the Asolo I need a size 15, but don't see one listed. My local store has Keen in size 15. Size 14 fit very good. These are a keeper.

montanadave
03-10-14, 18:55
Well in the Asolo I need a size 15, but don't see one listed. My local store has Keen in size 15. Size 14 fit very good. These are a keeper.

Size 15?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuHw5ivCs1A

CCK
03-11-14, 00:25
what is the name of this one?

Lawdog-1
03-11-14, 20:07
KEEN Detroit Mid (soft toe) Black Olive 14D 1007009D

philcam
03-11-14, 20:36
I'm currently wearing a boot made by Meindel for Cabela's. By far the most comfortable boot I've owned and after a year of wear, they look as good as new. So far, I'm impressed.

I destroy Keen and Merrell in 6 months or less. I've had several pairs of Danners, and they last forever but they are heavy and with my 4E foot their narrow toe box can be an issue. I'd love to try Asolos, but I haven't been able to try a wide size on locally.

ra2bach
03-12-14, 12:21
what is the name of this one?

what is the name of which one?..

St.Michael
03-26-14, 00:51
I might order some Salomons online and try those out. I tend to not order off the net since I require a pretty wide shoe

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX
03-26-14, 10:27
I'm currently wearing a boot made by Meindel for Cabela's. By far the most comfortable boot I've owned and after a year of wear, they look as good as new. So far, I'm impressed.

I destroy Keen and Merrell in 6 months or less. I've had several pairs of Danners, and they last forever but they are heavy and with my 4E foot their narrow toe box can be an issue. I'd love to try Asolos, but I haven't been able to try a wide size on locally.

Totally agree^^^

I've never heard/experienced anything bad about the Meindels except their sizes run big. I wear a 10.5 in most boots but a 9.5 is plenty big in a Meindels. And their comfort is exceptional. Goes without saying, but I will...make sure you try them on with your normal boot sock...

OldState
03-26-14, 10:28
No offense to general membership here, but if I were in the market for hiking boots I would be researching on sites that test the crap out of these things and have tried every product out there.

Backpacker Magazine's "Gear Guide" is out right now BTW.

If you see the same boot being recommended by several sites that may be a good sign.

Don't discount Scarpa boots BTW

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews

http://www.trailspace.com

http://www.backpackgeartest.org

Lawdog-1
03-26-14, 15:14
I have bought boots so it is time to End the Thread. Others start a new thread of their own.

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-14, 15:21
No offense to general membership here, but if I were in the market for hiking boots I would be researching on sites that test the crap out of these things and have tried every product out there.

Backpacker Magazine's "Gear Guide" is out right now BTW.

If you see the same boot being recommended by several sites that may be a good sign.

Outdoor rags are the same as gun rags, they give good reviews to companies that sponsor them, aka keep them in business. I can think of NO greater resource of information on foot gear than the combat vets, ground pounders, Industry Professionals, and Subject Matter Experts that take the time to post here on M4C. We have guys who have spent multiple deployments in the Hindu Kush. There is a massive thread entitled "What Boots?" that is jam packed with a lot of good info:

See post number 75 on page 4 of this thread to hear what a pipehitter has to say about hiking boots, socks, and insoles.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?48689-What-boots/page4

OldState
03-26-14, 19:03
Outdoor rags are the same as gun rags, they give good reviews to companies that sponsor them, aka keep them in business. I can think of NO greater resource of information on foot gear than the combat vets, ground pounders, Industry Professionals, and Subject Matter Experts that take the time to post here on M4C. We have guys who have spent multiple deployments in the Hindu Kush. There is a massive thread entitled "What Boots?" that is jam packed with a lot of good info:

See post number 75 on page 4 of this thread to hear what a pipehitter has to say about hiking boots, socks, and insoles.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?48689-What-boots/page4

Have you ever read that guide on clicked on the links provided? They are definitely different than gun rags.

No disrespect for said "pipehitters" but if a guy were to walk the entire Appalachian Trail with a pair a boots and rave about them I would say they may be pretty much GTG for most situations.

I didn't see that the OP needed the boots to go into combat either

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-14, 19:56
Have you ever read that guide on clicked on the links provided? They are definitely different than gun rags.

No disrespect for said "pipehitters" but if a guy were to walk the entire Appalachian Trail with a pair a boots and rave about them I would say they may be pretty much GTG for most situations.

I didn't see that the OP needed the boots to go into combat either

When our best started hunting AQ in the mountains of Afghanistan they found out what foot gear works and what doesn't to include everything that is issued and available commercially, so yeah . . . I'm going to take the word of guys on an ODA back from deployment over some daisy sniffers on the AT any day of the week. If you read the thread I linked you will find time and again Asolo and Scarpa are mentioned, these are not combat boots. The Italians make hikers and mountaineering boots like no one's business.

Not trying to get into a pissing match here, just want to drive home the point that there is a plethora of good info on this forum in regards to boots. And yes, to the OP or anyone else looking at spending their hard earned money on a pair of quality boots do your research. I personally find the reviews of products on sites like REI, Backcountry, Campmor, and Sierra Trading Post to be extremely helpful.

ra2bach
03-27-14, 14:27
When our best started hunting AQ in the mountains of Afghanistan they found out what foot gear works and what doesn't to include everything that is issued and available commercially, so yeah . . . I'm going to take the word of guys on an ODA back from deployment over some daisy sniffers on the AT any day of the week. If you read the thread I linked you will find time and again Asolo and Scarpa are mentioned, these are not combat boots. The Italians make hikers and mountaineering boots like no one's business.

Not trying to get into a pissing match here, just want to drive home the point that there is a plethora of good info on this forum in regards to boots. And yes, to the OP or anyone else looking at spending their hard earned money on a pair of quality boots do your research. I personally find the reviews of products on sites like REI, Backcountry, Campmor, and Sierra Trading Post to be extremely helpful.

whoa... two different missions, two different needs. warfighters need something bordering on bombproof. daisy-sniffers or those doing through-hikes need sturdy but light weight. comfort and protection is the common denominator but a mountaineering boot is a different animal than a hiker.

I love my Asolo Fugitives for doing stuff that could hurt my feet but my 5" Hi-Tech Hikers are lighter and much cheaper, while being just as comfortable and have stayed waterproof for 13 years. If I were leaving today for a long hike involving less than 30lbs carried on my back, I'd be wearing the Hi-Techs...

St.Michael
03-27-14, 14:31
You guys are saying that shoes should change with your load out weigt?

Up1911fan
03-27-14, 15:15
I'd look at the Keen Detroit's as well. I'm 3 years into mine and they hold up great. I've also worn them on duty for the last 18 months. Great boots.

OldState
03-27-14, 16:07

There are lightweight, mid weight, and heavy wieght/mountaineering boots. Almost all boots you now see popular with combat troops and top tier units were designed for backpacking and mountaineering including the Asolo's Solomon's, and Scarpa's mentioned here and elsewhere.

The more weight you carry, the more support you usually need...but everyone is different. Modern materials have greatly reduced do the weight needed for said support. Goretex has allowed semi leather construction which improves breath ability as well.

It's also the "daisy sniffers" that are doing all the R&D on these boots. If you dont think that walking from Maine to Georgia with food, water, and gear, through mountains and mud is good enough to vet footwear, I don't know what to tell you. 20 miles through the White Mountains of NH with make a new boot look 10 years old.

Moose-Knuckle
03-27-14, 17:14
whoa... two different missions, two different needs. warfighters need something bordering on bombproof. daisy-sniffers or those doing through-hikes need sturdy but light weight. comfort and protection is the common denominator but a mountaineering boot is a different animal than a hiker.

I love my Asolo Fugitives for doing stuff that could hurt my feet but my 5" Hi-Tech Hikers are lighter and much cheaper, while being just as comfortable and have stayed waterproof for 13 years. If I were leaving today for a long hike involving less than 30lbs carried on my back, I'd be wearing the Hi-Techs...

If the mission is to buy the best boot for your money then I don't see the disconnect. I'm not in the military, I'm not stalking a blood trail on an iced capped summit or a rock field in in search of a jihadi boogee man but those who have and posted here and on other sites like Light Figher provide invaluable information on products for those of us who do not carry HK416s for a living. YMMV.

Moose-Knuckle
03-27-14, 17:19

Yes, to add to that the right insole is also important. The more weight you are carrying the more stress is put on parts that don't normally see a lot of use unless you are a Tibetan Sherpa. Plantar fasciitis will ruin your day.

St.Michael
03-27-14, 17:39
Yes, to add to that the right insole is also important. The more weight you are carrying the more stress is put on parts that don't normally see a lot of use unless you are a Tibetan Sherpa. Plantar fasciitis will ruin your day.

I have feet flatter than paint I know all about the pf. It hurts bad. Good to know though. I posted about trail shoes in another thread, but ill say it here. In my search for mid climbers I stumbled on a brooks gortex trail shoe. Testing them now I am not so sure they would be decent for hiking. Going to order some salomons here shortly.

Moose-Knuckle
03-27-14, 17:45
I have feet flatter than paint I know all about the pf. It hurts bad. Good to know though. I posted about trail shoes in another thread, but ill say it here. In my search for mid climbers I stumbled on a brooks gortex trail shoe. Testing them now I am not so sure they would be decent for hiking. Going to order some salomons here shortly.

Brooks makes an outstanding product, I have no experiance with their trail runners but I use to sale running shoes back during my college years and the Beast was one of our most requested shoes for those that suffer from foot problems. I really want to get a pair of Salomon trail runners, currently can't justify the expense. If you wear a size 8 Cabelas has all the Salomon trail runners on clearance for $89!

St.Michael
03-27-14, 21:03
Yeah I am pretty mucH stuck with brooks. The only time I get different brands are for lifting and boots. And every few years I get a buG aNd get a pair of DCs

ra2bach
03-28-14, 13:32

yes, to a point. a light hiking shoe will not take into account the weight of a full pack and the sole is not designed for it. too much weight can cause too much flexing or flattening of your arch, or allow pressure from sharp rocks to be felt and become painful as well as injurious. mountaineering boots have steel shanks designed for standing in a sling on a rope and very heavy protection on the sides to deal with the sharp rocks found in these areas and tall scree collars with lacing all the way up.

boots are tools. there's a right one for each application but a lot of overlap in use. generally they go from light hiking shoes to hiking boots to mountaineering boots in terms of protection, with weight gains proportional. the ones that seem like comfy foot pillows in the store may leave you in agony at the end of a long, heavy day of packing while the others may at first seem heavy and stiff but your feet are in better shape throughout.

a good place to start is go to one of the good outdoor stores and ask what they recommend for your anticipated use. I usually shade their suggestions toward the sturdy end and evaluate them. I have several pairs of boots. I also carry a lightweight pair of sandals for camp...

ra2bach
03-28-14, 13:41

I don't know the shoe you are talking about but the general classification of "trail shoe" indicates to me, something made for walking, not packing.
I generally don't like a "shoe" for hiking. I have a pair of Merrel hiking shoes (don't remember the name) and these are about like a sneaker in terms of protection and support.

I was walking a section of the AT without a pack, just a few things on my belt and a staff, and I turned my ankle several times on unseen rocks and roots. I didn't get hurt but I knew they wouldn't be useful for more than walking in the park without more ankle support. the lowest shoe I will wear on trails is a 5" boot and if packing weight, I like something that laces a little taller.

If you have flat feet, look into New Balance. They are the only ones I know of that have different models based on the shape/condition of your feet. they make some nice hiking shoes and boots but not to the level of mountaineering boots a lot of people favor.