PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Mobile App for Shooting

cxd213
02-06-14, 20:59
I wanted to see how interested or likely people on M4C would be in utilizing a mobile application on their smartphone or tablet to assist them in logging, tracking, and evaluating their shooting sessions. I'm a software engineer with some experience in developing Android and iOS applications and an avid shooting enthusiast, so I thought I could bring my two passions together and make something beneficial to the shooting community. The basic idea I have is this:

1. User launches app and creates a new 'shooting session' for the day (date/time/location/weather are recorded automatically)

2. User starts a 'round' of shooting - this involves the user entering in the distance they'll be shooting at, their firing position (standing/prone/sitting/benched/etc) and the user must take a picture of their target prior to shooting, or load a previously used (un-shot) target image

3. User shoots target until cease fire

4. User scans their target - application automatically detects impacts and calculates metrics on the grouping(s) and stores the data

5. User repeats steps 2-4 until all shooting is completed and ends the shooting session

Sessions would be persisted on the devices storage, and would be exportable to a file (xml based). User would be able to view the historic data through the application. Application would keep overall metrics for all historical shooting sessions, and possibly graphs for charting progress over time.

So what I'm looking for are ideas and thoughts about something like I've described above. Am I missing any features you feel would be useful? How likely would you be to use something like this? Are most of you guys Android or iOS users? I appreciate all feedback and input!

mattiep321
02-06-14, 21:07
Edit: I missed the weather snapshot

Maybe add spot for reload data/chrono info...i would definitely try it.
For load data, i would include COAL, powder & charge, trim length, primer, brass/headstamp, bullet & weight

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

mattiep321
02-06-14, 21:14
Would you use the camera and some MV algorithm to process the post-shoot image using the grid size to calibrate and determine group size? That would be tough but cool...As long as the user specifies the grid size, it could work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Griz22
02-17-14, 05:22
Interesting. Make the platform as least labor intensive on the part of the user and you will be on to something. location tracking could be interesting too. As would range to range session performance tracking (% improvements on various variables). Weather should be extensive (baro p, humidity, etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledanek
03-01-14, 22:14
OP, I just purchased a SIRT AR-Bolt and would be interested in app like this. Not sure how my Samsung S2 can pick up the trigger click-sound and how it records. Maybe, having the mobile mounted perhaps?
I'll be investing into a Laserlyte target to incorporate the AR-Bolt with my dry fire exercises.

cxd213
03-02-14, 20:02
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to go ahead with this. I'll probably take an iterative approach: start off simple (get the auto-detection feature working), then roll in other features in future releases. I'm going to begin working on some mock-ups that I'll post up in this thread for some feedback. Stay tuned.

Ledanek
03-03-14, 17:09
I wanted to see how interested or likely people on M4C would be in utilizing a mobile application on their smartphone or tablet to assist them in logging, tracking, and evaluating their shooting sessions. I'm a software engineer with some experience in developing Android and iOS applications and an avid shooting enthusiast, so I thought I could bring my two passions together and make something beneficial to the shooting community. The basic idea I have is this:

1. User launches app and creates a new 'shooting session' for the day (date/time/location/weather are recorded automatically)..........
So what I'm looking for are ideas and thoughts about something like I've described above. Am I missing any features you feel would be useful? How likely would you be to use something like this? Are most of you guys Android or iOS users? I appreciate all feedback and input!

would it be possible for offline option? meaning, can we use an iPod Touch/Android without network/no WiFi. Therefore, not able to retrieve current weather condition.

Without mentioning other apps, I'm trying some apps that I can calibrate/record when using the sound from the trigger click when doing dry-fire exercise. I know, that's not what you intended it for, but, just leaving that option.

here's how I the Android "velcro-strapped" during dry-fire
http://i.imgur.com/0Uxmk4k.jpg