View Full Version : USPS Preparing for Mass Ammo Purchase

OldState
02-07-14, 11:50
http://benswann.com/us-postal-service-preparing-for-mass-gunammuniton-buy/

This just gets more bizarre

austinN4
02-07-14, 12:01
http://benswann.com/us-postal-service-preparing-for-mass-gunammuniton-buy/
WTF does the USPS need with ammunition, especially that much?
Is this real or a joke?

Found the link, looks real: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=bc222ffef75536f044a0e0353788683b&tab=core&tabmode=list&print_preview=1

OldState
02-07-14, 12:05
WTF does the USPS need with ammunition, especially that much?
Is this real or a joke?

Maybe they are just stockpiling to resell to all the dopes that start panicking at every election. Just may get them profitable....:blink:

jr1572
02-07-14, 12:13
Postal Inspectors are gun carrying federal agents with arrest powers.

JR1572

Caduceus
02-07-14, 12:22
I could have sworn this was a branch that was bankrupting itself so much that they're getting into the clothing industry. Where do they have money for this?

Heavy Metal
02-07-14, 12:39
Ya'll people will believe anything someone posts on the internet.

Airhasz
02-07-14, 12:55
Article say the Gov spent billions on weapons and ammo.
That sounds about right considering I've spent thousands myself on the same.

MCS
02-07-14, 13:14
.... USPS is a failing department, they are constantly running in the red.

No.6
02-07-14, 14:46
Makes no real sense to me without getting into conspiracies. Unless they are planning the ultimate "Going Postal Party".

T2C
02-07-14, 14:55
I did not see quantities of each caliber posted. Anyone read anything about quantities?

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9e5e0575261377927341552d8c3dca97&tab=core&_cview=1

Excerpt "This is a standard purchase of ammunition to meet the law enforcement needs of the United States Postal Inspection Service and Postal Police."

brickboy240
02-07-14, 15:46
Gonna give a whole new meaning the phrase, "going postal" ...isn't it?

LOL

Belloc
02-07-14, 15:54
Well I'm sure as hell going to be more motivated to make sure I use the correct postage.

Moose-Knuckle
02-07-14, 17:23
Social Security Admin, Dept of Education, and other .gov alphabets that make you go WTF have purchased arms and ammunition. This is more than likely a way to use up extra money left in some obscure budget (ie TAX PAYERS money) to pick up things for Big Sister so as not to draw to much attention.

RogerinTPA
02-07-14, 18:24
It could have something to do with a proposal that the post office get into the check cashing industry...or not. On a related postal story, I actually met a couple of female postal workers who were fairly attractive, middle aged women whom a friend brought to a backyard party. After they noticed a dialog between myself and two other Vets, they proclaimed that the were also part of the military. I said, that's cool, what branch? The proudly proclaimed they worked for the USPS. As if on cue, we all choked on our beers, shooting it through our noses and spewing it across the lawn while laughing to tears.

Moose-Knuckle
02-07-14, 18:44
It could have something to do with a proposal that the post office get into the check cashing industry...or not. On a related postal story, I actually met a couple of female postal workers who were fairly attractive, middle aged women whom a friend brought to a backyard party. After they noticed a dialog between myself and two other Vets, they proclaimed that the were also part of the military. I said, that's cool, what branch? The proudly proclaimed they worked for the USPS. As if on cue, we all choked on our beers, shooting it through our noses and spewing it across the lawn while laughing to tears.

*Boston accent* Hey buddy don't you question the service of the United States Postal Service!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/cliffclavin_zps25d78462.png (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/cliffclavin_zps25d78462.png.html)

GotAmmo
02-07-14, 20:09
Well I guess the next time they ask if I want to buy stamps.. I will not say no

_Stormin_
02-07-14, 20:49
I could have sworn this was a branch that was bankrupting
Actually, were it not for the fact that it requires an act of congress to raise the price of a damn stamp, and a ridiculous pension system, the postal service could be profitable... But old people vote, and old people use stamps, so everyone is to damn afraid to vote in a meaningful increase to get the USPS into the black.

eodinert
02-07-14, 23:43
The post office is obsolete. The constitution needs to be amending to make it go away or at least reduced to one guy in an office that administers contracts to UPS, Fedex, and others to deliver mail.

Iraqgunz
02-08-14, 03:06
Kind of makes you wonder why the turds in Washington keep funding the USPS when it keeps posting record losses? Let the USPS fade away and allow UPS and Fedex to step up their game.

3 AE
02-08-14, 03:28

I'll just say "What caliber, 9mm or .40 S&W?"

Belloc
02-08-14, 03:33

Or say, "Actually yes. 2 packs please, and 3 boxes of 9mm hollow points too. Thanks."

I'll just say "What caliber, 9mm or .40 S&W?"
Beat me to it!

austinN4
02-08-14, 08:21
But old people vote, and old people use stamps, so everyone is to damn afraid to vote in a meaningful increase to get the USPS into the black.
Yeah, blame it on old people. It certainly couldn't be because of the obvious bloat and in ineptitude of the USPS.

ST911
02-08-14, 08:46
USPS maintains a well equipped and well trained armed component to protect its assets and investigate offenses under its purview. Those I have worked and trained with...directly...have been quite capable of performing their duties, and their work is diverse. When discussing what you think their needs or capabilities are, please be sure to note the foundation of your input.

Keep it on track, and you might even hear from your fellow M4C members that are USPS LE. I suspect they know what might be up.

Chameleox
02-08-14, 09:17
The article is lacking. It claims that the USPS is preparing for a "mass gun/ammunition buy" but it doesn't back it up with any information citing the proposed use of the guns and ammo, and it has no reference or links to any concrete numbers. Instead, the article cites USPS's budgetary/profit issues and the recent DHS buy (which has been discussed). The insinuation is that the USPS is part of a larger conspiracy, or that they're losing money and asking for more for bullets.

Alarmist at best.

Postal Inspection is like any other LEA. Their agents run the gamut. But they have a job that can't easily be put on other agencies or locals. And yes, they need ammo for training and carry.

_Stormin_
02-08-14, 09:19
Yeah, blame it on old people. It certainly couldn't be because of the obvious bloat and in ineptitude of the USPS.

Voting block that uses the service most. Voting block that has the time and competence to write their reps to voice disapproval of any rate increase. I'd love to lump the FSA in there, but fact of the matter is, the government gives them all smartphones to email.

In all fairness, I did mention the bloat if their pension system being just as lethal.

You can be as bright as you want to be, if the rate you're ALLOWED to charge by the Gov is less than what providing your service costs, and you're not allowed to shed expensive union labor, you're screwed.

a1fabweld
02-08-14, 10:16
Kind of makes you wonder why the turds in Washington keep funding the USPS when it keeps posting record losses? Let the USPS fade away and allow UPS and Fedex to step up their game.
Why what would become of all those liberals that are employed by USPS? Gotta keep the gravy train rolling!

kwelz
02-08-14, 10:37
USPS serves a role that UPS and FedEx can not fulfill at a reasonable cost. This is one of the few places where a government agency is better suited than a private organization.

That of course is not to say that the USPS is without problems. It is. However the single biggest issue and the issue that is causing the financial strife is not the service they provide. It is the retirement fund that is the heart of most of the problem. And the retirement fund problems were cause by both parties during the reign of Bush II.

get rid of the ridiculous pre-funding mandate and they are back in the black.

austinN4
02-08-14, 10:37
I did not see quantities of each caliber posted. Anyone read anything about quantities?
You are correct - none of the USPS links show an amount. The original article linked to in the OP is misleading by claiming "mass".

ForTehNguyen
02-08-14, 15:08
USPS serves a role that UPS and FedEx can not fulfill at a reasonable cost.

and how do you know this? It is illegal to compete against USPS on first class mail with its monopoly. Bunch of european countries had to privatize their POs because they were losing tons of money. Guess whos going to end up paying for the billions the USPS loses?

Armati
02-08-14, 16:46
So, here is how this works:

An ever increasing number of vets find themselves in LEO jobs. This is driving a lot of the training and equipment.

Advanced Marksmanship of various sorts has now matriculated throughout the military and LE community.

Agencies have learned that shooting a basic qual of 40-50 rounds is not sufficient to maintain realistic proficiency.

A certain cadre at these agencies think the are and/or wants to be a Tier 1 gunslinger.

Shooting guns is fun so why not do it on the govt dime?

"Year End Money." Use it all up now or you will get less next year.

Thus, a perfect storm of agencies buying what would seem to be ridiculous amounts of ammo given their legal mandate/responsibilities.