PDA

View Full Version : M&P Core vs milling for RMR.

Bolt_Overide
02-07-14, 20:42
Is there any real disadvantage to just buying an M&P core instead of having the slide of a non core M&P milled?

dhrith
02-07-14, 22:05
When doug does it at AETI he measures the RMR body exactly so the cycling load is on the body itself (it's slightly recessed). If memory serves me correctly looking at a CORE once, that load is actually on the bolting, which isn't particularly large. Someone please correct me if my memory is wrong on the CORE. It also seems to me from memory, with that mounting style, those variable plates added some height to it. Again, feel free to correct me if my memory is wrong.

dhrith
02-07-14, 22:17
Looking at a CORE package it looks like they've got some alignment pins taking some of the loading off the bolting. I wouldn't have called that a big issue per se for a normal persons operation at the range anyway, but I like my shit to be bullet proof top to bottom.

One "advantage" to the CORE is they've got a cover plate for you, if you decide to swap out or remove the rmr, etc. I'd have to get one cooked up to cover the holes for mine if I wanted to move the rmr somewhere else.

The milling isn't cheap but with it being stronger that way, looking better, and being a little more lower profile I chose that way. If you had any interest in using a single rmr because you couldn't afford more, etc etc, I could easily see someone making the decision the other way.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-07-14, 22:21
Would bedding the RMR into the slide help?

MrMiller
02-07-14, 22:24
mine in bold

Looking at a CORE package it looks like they've got some alignment pins taking some of the loading off the bolting. I wouldn't have called that a big issue per se for a normal persons operation at the range anyway, but I like my shit to be bullet proof top to bottom.

This is correct. The adapter system is very similar to the FN which has locating pins that go into the slide and into the optic.

One "advantage" to the CORE is they've got a cover plate for you, if you decide to swap out or remove the rmr, etc. I'd have to get one cooked up to cover the holes for mine if I wanted to move the rmr somewhere else.

The cover is available for direct RMR installations as well if the optic is removed.

The milling isn't cheap but with it being stronger that way, looking better, and being a little more lower profile I chose that way. If you had any interest in using a single rmr because you couldn't afford more, etc etc, I could easily see someone making the decision the other way.

Basic milling for the RMR begins at $145. Additional cost for BUIS, etc.

Spiffums
02-08-14, 09:02
Figure it's the difference between a $600ish gun and $250 for milling and sights. You can also get the grip insert they use for the CORE to go on your gun. About the only reason I could think of to get a new gun is if you want the longer barrel.