PDA

View Full Version : KAC SR15e3 Question?

K9222
02-08-14, 03:09
I understand the newer version have the larger gas port. I plan to run mine suppressed all the time and want to mitigate blow back. Can I swap out the E3 bcg for a LMT Enhanced BCG? I know the bolt and carrier or proprietary so I want to know if the LMT bcg will work and headspace to the KAC barrel.

Iraqgunz
02-08-14, 03:16
The bolt is proprietary. If you are intent on doing it, just get the LMT enhanced carrier and put the bolt and other parts into it.

I understand the newer version have the larger gas port. I plan to run mine suppressed all the time and want to mitigate blow back. Can I swap out the E3 bcg for a LMT Enhanced BCG? I know the bolt and carrier or proprietary so I want to know if the LMT bcg will work and headspace to the KAC barrel.

K9222
02-08-14, 16:26
The bolt is proprietary. If you are intent on doing it, just get the LMT enhanced carrier and put the bolt and other parts into it.

Removed

hjmpanzr
02-08-14, 17:59
I've read other places and on this website that changing carriers is frowned upon with that particular rifle. Why is that and what parts would I have to switch if changing over to the enhanced carrier?

Was it Kevin B or Jack L that were frowning on such a practice? If so I would defer to their comment. That said, I doubt it came from them as I believe I read a post where one said it was fine to use a different BC.

I've been shooting KAC more often than any other rifle since 2009 and I've never had any issues, but I generally use the KAC BCG. however, I have used LMT and colt BCs with no problems. In fact on one of my IWS legacy rifles I could not distinguish between the carrier that came with the KAC and an LMT carrier which I had. Everything was the same, including an odd greenish color. I'm not saying they used LMT carriers, but I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever (and every KAC I have has had an LMT part or two on it.;). This was particularly true do the legacy models.

E-man930
02-08-14, 17:59
Why is it frowned upon?
I have had ZERO issues running the LMT E- carriers in KAC SR-15 legacy 16" E3s, 11.5" E3 CQB SBRs, 14.5" MOD 1s...

hjmpanzr
02-08-14, 18:18
Also, people post a lot of crap about KAC because of the proprietary parts. I don't try to disabuse them of their understanding because I don't want to compete with them for the somewhat limited supplies. For a while it was common to see posts explaining that the vltor A5 system won't work on a KAC combined with .223 ammo and a suppressor. I had to laugh because I have run thousands of rounds thru such set ups with no problems (in fact did about 200 today). I keep telling my guns that they won't work but they don't seem to listen.

Also, If you have any questions you may want to try the KAC in the industry section on TOS, but only there. That's where a lot of KAC addicts spend time. They are generally very good on specific/odd questions about such matters and you may get more info than you want (I.e., replies that have nothing to do with your question) and your thread will almost certainly be hijacked. However, KAC seems to monitor it pretty closely and they will correct people fairly quickly.

K9222
02-08-14, 18:49
I had it backwards, it was frowned upon running a different bolt in the KAC carrier. Thanks for all the help, I will edit my post so that no mis-information is posted.