PDA

View Full Version : Remington trigger/action work in a trade

chuckman
02-08-14, 07:04
While I am not forsaking ARs, I am really digging precision rifle. I have had a trade offer for a Rem 700 SPS Tac, and the rifle has had some work; specifically (and from the text of an email): "It has the factory hogue stock. The trigger was stoned and smoothed but still adjustable for weight. It's set to just around 2 lbs the action was the standard action job from Johnson precision the true to center to action including the bolt face and locking lugs," and the prospective trader also said the bolt was blueprinted. All work was done by Johnson Precision Gunsmithing and has paperwork.

I know at some point I would need to get rid of the Hogue stock, but money being what it is I doubt I'd do it sooner rather than later. My questions are these, oh wise men: 1) does a rifle need these mods, 2) will it help in accuracy or in the longevity of the rifle, 3) on the balance of it having a Hogue stock is it worth it?

Pappabear
02-08-14, 13:28
Rifle can benefit from these mods, no doubt. Even though some Remmys will shoot sub moa out of the box. On the trigger, if its a Xmark trigger, well it sucks regardless what has been done. If its an old Remmy trigger, it could be good. $125 gets you a Timney if its an Xmark. Yes, Hogue stock sucks, just don't "load" the rifle / bipod if your stuck with Hogue. Yes buy another stock when you can.

What is the trade? When was the remmy build? Is it an xmark? This gun is probably worth 5 to 6 hundo IMHO, so any good AR is worth more. But is a nice Bolt base gun. This guy may have spent good money on this gun improving it, but the mods he did don't get him street value because guns without it can shoot just as well. But the action work is still a good thing.

40Arpent
02-08-14, 18:40
If its an old Remmy trigger, it could be good.

Or, it could fire when moving the safety to off, or when closing the bolt.

SteveS
02-09-14, 12:18
Why don't you see how it shoots before changing parts that may or may not make a "difference". I have had a couple of Rem 700s and one was good enough and one was impressive but I sold them both because they were boring. I like old mil surp bolt rifles. That being said one of my shooting buds has a fancy Rem 700 with a factory muzzle brake, and the trigger is plenty good and some kind of plastic stock and it seems to be a medium weight barrel in 338 lapua that pretty much puts the bullets in a ragged hole at 200 yards. which tells something about what a Remmington 700 can do out of the box.

SteveS
02-09-14, 12:20

I could adjust a Remmington trigger so it would fire when the safety was released. Crud buildup in the trigger assemble can do it as well. As always the gun safety rules are thought up for a reason.

markm
02-10-14, 10:21

Isn't that simply a result of retards tinkering with the trigger?... and not a real problem with the older trigger model?

I'm pretty sure that those triggers can be safely tuned to a nice break.

chuckman
02-21-14, 10:17
Update. That rifle was not in my favor, butI do have a trade pending for a SPS Tac with a B&C stock. I will drop a Timney, sell the original Hogue stock and offset the price of a scope. Thanks to all for input.

markm
02-21-14, 10:35
If you can find someone to buy that Hogue stock, post his contact info. I have a box full of worthless stuff I'd love to convert to cash. :dance3:

chuckman
02-21-14, 10:37
If you can find someone to buy that Hogue stock, post his contact info. I have a box full of worthless stuff I'd love to convert to cash. :dance3:

You know, I would have thought the same, but on a local forum someone sold one for $80. Hell, it is worth a shot.