PDA

View Full Version : How much have you changed?

rapomstage3
02-08-14, 18:26
I'm not sure about anyone else but I joined here 4 years ago or so and get quite a laugh reading some of my old posts. For example someone asked what to sbr and my response was a spikes tactical! God I've come a long way. I would never say that. Things like ff handguards and ctr stocks that I vowed to never use and now all my rifles wear them. Anyway I can't be alone here. Have you said or did anything that you can look back at and laugh at now?

Packman73
02-08-14, 18:37
I'm always learning and willing to change my opinion based on new info.

BoringGuy45
02-08-14, 19:28
I was a piston fanboy awhile ago, during the piston craze, which seems to have died down. Don't get me wrong, I thought DI was fine, but really it was better to go with the new, cleaner, cooler-running system. I wasn't going to own an AR unless it was a piston gun. I figured that with so many piston guns coming out, it was only a matter of time till one of the piston systems would become the standard (my money was on either HK or LMT) and DI would begin to die out. About three years later, it appears that many here were right, and the piston craze was just a craze and nothing more. People began educating themselves more and learning, as I did, that it's not the direct impingement system that's the issue, it's the low end, garbage ARs and bad builds that are the issue and give all ARs a bad name.

rapomstage3
02-08-14, 19:36

I am definitely like this now but, I would be lying if I said I always was.

lunchbox
02-08-14, 20:47
Bought DPMS BCG...enough said. I have since wised up and only buy quality parts... And gave away DPMS BCG.

TehLlama
02-08-14, 21:06
I remember having some argument with Grant to the tune of my logic being that a tier 2 AR that got ran enough was a more useful tool than a Colt with less ammunition ran through it. I went and put that theory to the test, and sure enough right around the round count where I might have had the chance of overlap, the ejector spring AND extractor on that BCG went tango uniform. Even for the bargain price I found an LMT unit to replace that with, I had spent the exact price Grant had 6920's and 6720's on sale for, and still only owned a rifle with a known good BCG.

I still haven't parted with my love for pinned 14.X" uppers, as dumb as those are, but if I had just set aside my credit card for the first 90 days I was here and read twice as much, I've probably be around $8k ahead for where I'm at now, and own just three SR-15's and a pair of SF cans, once realizing that those would be cheaper than having twice as many rifles that cost 70% as much.

Peshawar
02-08-14, 21:58
In 2005 I thought Glocks were cheap gangbanger guns. Now they're all I own with the exception of one cheapo 1911. Yup, times change. :)

rapomstage3
02-08-14, 22:05
I got my first ar right after the awb didn't get resigned. My uncle tried to get me to get an a-3 flat top. He'll no I said. These are supposed to have carry handles.

Belmont31R
02-08-14, 22:50
I was in my early 20's when I joined here. I've been an immature asshole and glad that you all have put up with me. Just turned 30 and that 3-0 is an a kick in the ass.

brushy bill
02-08-14, 23:42
Just turned 30 and that 3-0 is an a kick in the ass.

Ha! I thought that long ago when I turned 30. All in perspective. Now I think 30 is young.

MistWolf
02-08-14, 23:50
I've changed. I've gone back and looked at some of my early post as I tried to sort things out and some are cringe worthy. My understanding of how an AR and self loading rifles in general has increased. Started with reading what was being passed around and questioned it more closely, including what the experts say. Someone said "Be Your Own SME" and I took that as a challenge. It's been some journey and it's still ongoing, learning new things and confirming some things I already knew and some I thought I knew. The hardest was learning what I didn't know about what I didn't know. That continues to be a kick in the pants

Jellybean
02-09-14, 00:04
In 2005 I thought Glocks were cheap gangbanger guns. Now they're all I own with the exception of one cheapo 1911. Yup, times change. :)

Wow- you to, huh? I thought I was the only one here who didn't like Glocks specifically because of that....

Ill second that.
How much have I changed since being here?
I learned to research the crap out of everything before buying it. Sometimes this backfires if I miss a good deal, and it usually ends up costing me more money, because then I have to have the better thing.... :D
But it's also saved me a LOT of pains in the ass.
I've also learned that the vast majority of people that own firearms are hell bent on remaining uniformed "owners" and that it's pointless for me to do anything other than give them a few gentle nudges in the right direction, and if they don't want to go that way, let 'em fall on their ass a few times and figure it out for themselves. There's no point trying to explain why option "A" is better than option "B" if they don't care.

SteyrAUG
02-09-14, 00:33
As incredulous as this may sound to some, I don't feel the need to debate a person every time I see a view expressed that I disagree with. I've come a long way from feeling like I need to engage in every religious debate that comes along.

If there is one thing I've learned on this forum, it's that you don't have to hit the submit button. I can't count the number of times I've hit "reply" and either started to type or actually typed a reply and then realized it just wasn't worth it and closed the page.

Of course every once in awhile somebody will post something that is simply too absurd / offensive to leave alone, but I am getting better at it.

MistWolf
02-09-14, 01:02
Heh! It's been a good stress reliever cussing you guys out for some of the things you've posted. It gives me great satisfaction pounding out scathing replies on the keyboard. But it's given me even more peace when I excercise discretion enough to hit DELETE instead of POST. I know this is gonna sound corny, but I'm much better off when I stop to ask myself WWACD (What Would Army Chief Do?) before posting

SeriousStudent
02-09-14, 01:07
As incredulous as this may sound to some, I don't feel the need to debate a person every time I see a view expressed that I disagree with. I've come a long way from feeling like I need to engage in every religious debate that comes along.

If there is one thing I've learned on this forum, it's that you don't have to hit the submit button. I can't count the number of times I've hit "reply" and either started to type or actually typed a reply and then realized it just wasn't worth it and closed the page.

Of course every once in awhile somebody will post something that is simply too absurd / offensive to leave alone, but I am getting better at it.

You have truly snatched the pebble from the Master's palm. :cool:

SteyrAUG
02-09-14, 01:08
Heh! It's been a good stress reliever cussing you guys out for some of the things you've posted. It gives me great satisfaction pounding out scathing replies on the keyboard. But it's given me even more peace when I excercise discretion enough to hit DELETE instead of POST. I know this is gonna sound corny, but I'm much better off when I stop to ask myself WWACD (What Would Army Chief Do?) before posting

I don't think you are the only one who does that. His example has made me a better person. Pretty impressive for somebody I never met in person.

MistWolf
02-09-14, 01:17
I don't think you are the only one who does that. His example has made me a better person. Pretty impressive for somebody I never met in person.

Yes. Yes it is

R0CKETMAN
02-09-14, 06:17
Lost all Bushmaster love

Phillygunguy
02-09-14, 06:37
I thought the 1911 was the be all end all Gun and the 45 was the best all around man stopper, and steel guns were the way to go. I've since carry and mostly shoot glock 9mm. and other polymers

montanadave
02-09-14, 08:57

Ditto

williejc
02-09-14, 09:07
When I joined, I did not understand why Bushmasters and such were technically inferior to Colt and other premium brands, and now I can discuss the subject somewhat intelligently. For the first time, I encountered guys who had lower opinions of the 1911 than I do. I've had one on or around me since I was 15 and still do. Now I know more about 1911 mechanical constraints, but still love the pistol. However, if I were a police chief, I'd not select it for general issue unless the troops carried their one bullet in their shirt pocket, and even then, NDs would still occur. Since joining the club, the Glock 19 or 26 stays within my reach along with an LCP .380 stuck in my pants somewhere. My next step is to get an m4carbine for home defense. I'll always be a shotgun man at heart but no longer can manage/handle/manipulate them as well as I should. The m4 will be much less cumbersome.

Eurodriver
02-09-14, 09:11
I used to think IraqGunz was a total dick.

But now after four years, I feel bad for him. Its a daily occurrence where someone asks a question that he's literally answered 100+ times...and what really kills me is that they don't want the right answer, they want an answer that is what they want to hear.

I also used to think operators with beards were the shit birds. Learning about MSG Bob Horrigan changed that.

Airhasz
02-09-14, 10:44
ROFL...

rapomstage3
02-09-14, 10:50
I used to think IraqGunz was a total dick.

But now after four years, I feel bad for him. Its a daily occurrence where someone asks a question that he's literally answered 100+ times...and what really kills me is that they don't want the right answer, they want an answer that is what they want to hear.

I also used to think operators with beards were the shit birds. Learning about MSG Bob Horrigan changed that.

This is funny and true. Lol.

samuse
02-13-14, 22:10
I'm not all that interested in buying much AR stuff. I'm glad it's out there and that ya'll are still innovating. I like seeing it in pictures, but I'm not really feeling the urge to buy much new stuff these days. I still have 3 6920s, 200+ 30 round NHMTGs and prolly 15K rounds of 5.56.

I shoot a few matches every year and see my skill degrade. I wish I was still interested in busting ass through three Texas summer days with Jason Falla or Tigerswan, or the like, but I'm not. I'm glad I did it though.

I've moved from being an exclusive Glock shooter, to an exclusive 1911 shooter. I just like what I like. Single Stack is my place in competition and I just enjoy shooting a 1911.

glocktogo
02-13-14, 23:53
When I turned 30, I realized how stupid I was when I was in my 20's. When I turned 40, I realized how stupid I was when I was in my 30's. I'm 48 now and I've come to the realization that I'll never be a smart as I'd like to think I am. I'm still feisty as hell though. So long as that particular hobby remains fun, I don't plan to give it up! :)

Nightvisionary
02-14-14, 05:37
I already knew everything four years ago so for me nothing has changed;)

markm
02-14-14, 08:16
LWRCi sucks and they are scum!

Nothing has changed!

wahoo95
02-14-14, 11:15
I don't really feel that I have changed much outside of continuing to gain more knowledge and experience. Actual shooting experience and training are where one can really make some gains.

fixit69
02-14-14, 11:30
H&K too. And they hate you.

But they make kick ass weaponry we can't buy.

Dammit. Supposed to be quoted with Markm's post. Even after a 1000 posts I'm still doing it wrong:jester:

Big A
02-14-14, 12:45
Went from wanting one of everything to asking myself "How much ammo/training would this buy?"

Don't get me wrong, I still want to add some things like a Walther PPQ and probably a Glock 41 and 30S but they have gone way to the back of the priorities list. I have all my hardware needs covered, now it's time to upgrade the software...

Doc Safari
02-14-14, 13:49
I've learned that the forum survived just fine without Rob_s.

I've learned that if I can't have it shipped to my PO box, then it probably will be more trouble than it's worth to order. This is because I live in the middle of nowhere and UPS still can't get my address right.

I've learned that I really don't have the patience for some of the rampant ignorance spouted as "the truth" on other AR-oriented forums.

RogerinTPA
02-14-14, 14:35
LWRCi sucks and they are scum!

Nothing has changed!

Some how, I expected no less from you...! ROFLMFAO!

gunrunner505
02-14-14, 19:18
I've learned to not look at the new thread asking what AR to buy yet again, Colt or DD or BCM or Knights.

That your slide auto forwarding is bad. Thanks Grant.

You will never get me to buy a Glock.

That no matter how much information is out there in general and on this site in particular, people will still buy a crap AR like Windham or Mossberg and argue with a possum that they are just as good as a Daniel Defense.

There are some real real characters running around here too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Suwannee Tim
02-14-14, 19:47
I started out with a piston LMT but came to appreciate the beauty of a DI system so much that I converted my piston 5.45 to DI. How often do you hear of someone converting a piston gun to DI? I came to appreciate the effectiveness of the AR design which works and works. The Colts, DD, LMT and Noveskes work and by golly the Olys and Mossbergs work too, at least the two or three boxes of ammo once or twice a year they shoot. I learned, much as you folks hate Bushmaster, they make good on a broken part in a reasonable time, even when it is way out of warranty.

I've learned that the forum survived just fine without Rob_s......

That too. Often wrong, never in doubt.

Jellybean
02-14-14, 22:37
I'm not all that interested in buying much AR stuff. I'm glad it's out there and that ya'll are still innovating. I like seeing it in pictures, but I'm not really feeling the urge to buy much new stuff these days. I still have 3 6920s, 200+ 30 round NHMTGs and prolly 15K rounds of 5.56. ....

I mean... if I was in that kind of position... I'd stop buying stuff too, cuz' I'd consider myself pretty "set".... ;)

Went from wanting one of everything to asking myself "How much ammo/training would this buy?"

Yeah, this too. My list of guns I want went from about 10 to 4. Even cut the shotgun because I realized how much I really don't like them. (Hey there's something else that's changed! :D)
I could just slap myself silly for not investing in serious amounts of ammo years ago, instead of stupid frivolous shit. Not that I was any better off financially but man.... what I'd give to have some of the money back I spent elsewhere....

ALCOAR
02-14-14, 22:51
I've learned that the forum survived just fine without Rob_s.

I've learned that if I can't have it shipped to my PO box, then it probably will be more trouble than it's worth to order. This is because I live in the middle of nowhere and UPS still can't get my address right.

I've learned that I really don't have the patience for some of the rampant ignorance spouted as "the truth" on other AR-oriented forums.

Holy smokes you hit the nail on the head....he had it out for me so bad that I was about to remove myself from M4C...and w/out ArmyChief's advice, council, and sometimes discipline, I'd be gone.

I hate to say it so publicly, but damn am I'm glad that he's history. Occasionally he posted a good writeup, but no writeup no matter how good was worth putting up w/ his childish bullshit he brought into almost every discussion on here he entered.

Now if we only could get Molon to come back, as well as DocGKR. I soaked everything up they ever wrote about, and owe those two former members a huge thank you for a large portion of knowledge and overall philosophy on defensive firearms I currently have.

David Thomas
02-14-14, 23:05
I thought the 1911 was the be all end all Gun and the 45 was the best all around man stopper, and steel guns were the way to go. I've since carry and mostly shoot glock 9mm. and other polymers

So... you have regressed.

SteyrAUG
02-15-14, 00:29
Holy smokes you hit the nail on the head....he had it out for me so bad that I was about to remove myself from M4C...and w/out ArmyChief's advice, council, and sometimes discipline, I'd be gone.

I hate to say it so publicly, but damn am I'm glad that he's history. Occasionally he posted a good writeup, but no writeup no matter how good was worth putting up w/ his childish bullshit he brought into almost every discussion on here he entered.

Glad it wasn't just me. I knew him in person, transferred a few handguns for him and even shot at his carbine club a couple times. Then for some reason I still don't understand he started flipping me crap on the internet. And god forbid I express an opinion based upon more years of experience than he's been alive, he was right...there was only one correct answer and everyone else on the internet was wrong.

I resisted doing it for as long as I could but it finally took me posting videos of him and I both shooting the same stage at his carbine club on a course he designed and my old, antiquated "fuddy duddy" obsolete ways of holding a gun produced better results than him. The ironic part is I filmed myself so that I could critique my shooting and I filmed others, including Rob, with the assumption that I could pick up some pointers.

Still don't know what the deal was, we have very similar political views and he seemed like a decent guy in person.

Endur
02-15-14, 02:38
I can say that I started out posting a lot but now I sit back and read the majority of time, if I have the time. My knowledge has expanded vastly, but it is a never ending learning process.