PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Stash Ammo For Social Use- 9mm/223/5.56- Current Feedback/Reccomends Needed V2.0

Jellybean
02-08-14, 21:36
For those of you that read version 1.0.... let me re-word this, as v1.0 was long and convoluted.

Given the climate, I feel the need to belatedly invest in some "put it in a box and forget you own it" stash ammo for the inevitable zombie bonanza.

There are a ton of threads out there, most of them years old before the current big ammo buy-fest, and I don't feel that they meet the critera I am looking for here.
This is not a "where to get it" or "best dirt shooting/range ammo" thread. I just want to clarify, this is intended for further feedback on what I have, and further info and recommendations on what to buy. I apologize to add to the hundred threads already out there, but I wanted to keep it current, versus what *was* great and available 5 years ago.

Bit of a catch 22 as I want it cheap enough to facilitate training, but don't want to buy *total* crap to stash for social experimentation with the zombies.
Basically, what I need to get info on is some ranking (best to worst) comparisons of what I currently posess, and if there's anything else CURRENTLY AVAILABLE that may fit the bill a little better than what I have, or worse stuff to stay away from even if it's available.

I'm not opposed to stocking multiple brands (I'm not a brand whore) and set "this" to train and "that" to stash BUT it would be a whole hell of a lot better for me from a financial standpoint if I could get a better handle on what stuff is actually worth hanging on to long term so I can buy heavy on a "priority 1" ammo, and buy a case "here and there" for training/dirt shooting.
Versus guesstimating on whether or not something that's currently cheap is worth buying bulk amounts of, because I'm always hestitant to spend for bulk quantities of unknown-quality ammo because I know bulk ammo is generally mediocre crap. Unfortunately, given the ammo situation at hand, when there's a "good deal" (my ass...) for *anything*, I have to jump on it, because that's *all* there is.

As far as further recommendations:
It kind of has to perfom both tasks (zombie defense, training), and be available as cheap as it gets right now, and in bulk.
I simply cannot afford a buck a round- sorry, I know the TAP 77gr. is awesome, but I'm already about puking blood at the price of ammo. I have some 124+p Speer GD, reserved specifically for my EDC- again, same as with rifle, just can't dish out for it on a bulk basis.
On the same note, I will use steel cased ammo when it is literally the last ammo on earth, and not a second before- just so you know... :laugh:
Also it looks like I will not be going the SBR route for the forseeable future, so no issues to worry about there. We're talking 16" barrel rifle (currently 1:7, mid- potential for 1:9-1:8 twists, or carbine gas), and G17 or M&PC sized handguns.

I mean, obviously we have the drawback of how much the 55-62/115gr FMJ rounds totally suck, and so forth, but you get my point, right?
I'm willing to take a little bit of a hit in the range/accuracy/velocity department *as long as* it will still get the job done reasonably well- I just want to avoid blowing my budget on stuff I "think" is good, when I could have had better stuff for the same $$.... especially as there's some brands I'm just not sure on these days.

I think I have a fairly good idea where things stand, but what I would like input on here is, based on what I curently own (underlined) and the brands that I am currently seeing available in any meaningful quantity (discussed below the underlined), please rate (1 to 5, or whatever method you want) what you would buy more of for solid stash ammo if it was your money so I can be a more informed buyer.

Rifle
PMC 55gr FMJ .223 (heard bad reviews but haven't had a bad experience yet- not sure where to put it)
Independence 55Gr. FMJ 5.56 (Not sure on this stuff? Heard it's rebranded IMI http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-556-independence-imi-xm193i-55gr-fmj-ammo/cName/223-556-full-metal-jacket)
CBC 55gr. FMJ 5.56 (put it in the "stash" pile)
Fed. XM193 55gr FMJ (put it in the "stash" pile- like a dumbass I shot most of it up over a year ago, so only a couple boxes left. Now it's stupid priced- If I'm going to pay .50-.60+ cents a round I'll dish for IMI...)

Seeing a lot of American Eagle Black Box/ Green Box stuff around in 193 or 855 flavor in the 420rd. ammo can like the Fed Xm855 used to be found in. Not sure whether worth buying or not, having heard the same mixed reviews as PMC?
As far as WWB, I don't trust it at all based on experiences with other round types, so I never bother- apparently their good stuff like Q3131 was pricey to start with anyway...
I generally don't buy UMC- might as well stick with PMC.
I've "heard" good things about Fiochii or Sellier, but no can find, or stupid prices.
Aside from that or premium "defensive" or "match" ammo.... Not much else around aside from what I own. And I can't even find THAT either physically or for .40 cents a round or less. I've almost given up looking online because even if it's a "good" price, the shipping totally kills it.
There was actually some IMI 193/855 I saw on Wideners- but even though it's great ammo, $550 per a case before shipping.... still a bit pricey. I mean it's still FIVE HUNDRED bucks....probably close to 600 after shipping. :eek:

Pistol

Freedom Munitions 115gr FMJ (mix of reman and "new"- put in "training" pile)
PMC 115gr FMJ (same as rifle- not quite sure where to put it. Seems ok...)
CCI/Speer Lawman 115 gr FMJ (put in "stash" pile)

I'd buy 124Gr first if I had the choice but when is that ever available in bulk? :rolleyes:

What about American Eagle red box? Have heard that AE pistol ammo is ok.
Aside from brands I have, and maybe AE/Blazer/Wolf-Tula, 9mm still seems kind of dry...
Saw some IMI 9mm for good price on Wideners. Still 115gr though....

What about Georgia Arms? Have heard good things and their 124 and 147 Gr. is reasonably priced.

What about Federal Bulk 9mm (Red or Blue box)? Have heard it's way underpowered- my foray into .40 seemed to confirm this when some I picked up in WallyWorld barely penetrated a log at 10 yards- in fact I picked a spent round out with my bare fingers that was barely lodged. Have avoided like the plague since...

Thoughts?

jpgm
02-09-14, 00:53
Jellybean,
I have shot over a 1000 rds of the Federal American Eagle training ammo in 40 s&w. Accurate, reliable, full powered. Highly recommended.

jpgm

Ouroborous
02-09-14, 01:46
The Independence armory is in fact re-branded IMI and can usually
be had cheaper than what widener's is offering. That said, I'd personally feel just as comfortable with PMC x-TAC for an even greater cost savings.

duece71
02-09-14, 06:42
Maybe time to start investing in reloading equipment. You are going to be spending some serious cash trying to stash lots of factory ammo. I am saving at least 40-50% right now reloading in bulk. YMMV.

Whytep38
02-09-14, 08:35
Maybe time to start investing in reloading equipment. You are going to be spending some serious cash trying to stash lots of factory ammo. I am saving at least 40-50% right now reloading in bulk. YMMV.+1. Save money and customize to your needs. Not every reload must be a full-power SHTF load. Develop your SHTF load and then cut back a little for range practice so you can max out your resources.

thei3ug
02-09-14, 11:10
I've used Georgia Arms bulk 9mm. Used 500 of it in December. It worked. Their rifle ammo is not as price competitive.
It's going to be tough to find ammunition that anyone will say is great for everything. For a do-all cartridge I would be passing up the 55 grain altogether. I have thousands I will probably never load sitting in a box somewhere.

Jellybean
02-09-14, 12:37
I've used Georgia Arms bulk 9mm. Used 500 of it in December. It worked. Their rifle ammo is not as price competitive.
It's going to be tough to find ammunition that anyone will say is great for everything. For a do-all cartridge I would be passing up the 55 grain altogether. I have thousands I will probably never load sitting in a box somewhere.

The GA Arms- "it worked"- should I take that as, it is close to full-power ammo, or "It works" for training and range use?

Also, for clarification, I am not looking for a "do-all" cartridge- I learned this is almost impossible a while back while researching reloading.
I am just looking for good quality, reliable ammo that's not so underpowered it sticks half into a log (see comment in OP), so I can stuff some away on a reasonable budget for a rainy day and know it'll get the job done if/when needed. Doesn't need to be super-premium $2 a round defensive ammo, but definately better than dirt shooting ammo. Pretty much as stated prevously- need help navigating through the current bulk ammo so I'm not wasting money on total crap.

The Independence armory is in fact re-branded IMI and can usually
be had cheaper than what widener's is offering. That said, I'd personally feel just as comfortable with PMC x-TAC for an even greater cost savings.
`
Awesome! Now that you've said that, it will all dissappear! :laugh:
As far as X-tac- I have heard it's ok too- however, the prices that I'm currently seeing are nowehere near as good as the Inpedendence can (sometimes) be found for.

Maybe time to start investing in reloading equipment. You are going to be spending some serious cash trying to stash lots of factory ammo. I am saving at least 40-50% right now reloading in bulk. YMMV.

Reloading is actually in the plans.... but down the road a ways. Just don't have the time to get into it right now.

thei3ug
02-09-14, 19:01
I mean no malfuntions in 500 rounds in a day for training. It's advertised as 1150 fps. It's one of the more affordable choices, and it's available.

Pariah Carey
02-16-14, 01:04
I would just buy whatever known, established factory ammo is cheapest. The Russian steel case stuff is fine, though in 223 I've read that the bimetallic jacket combined with higher velocities can wear out the barrel. For brass all copper jacketed loads I'd probably go with Wolf Gold or PMC. But I don't buy 223 much anymore. Too expensive.

On the cost savings of reloading, I've learned that in life you can save time or money but it'll be at the expense of the other. At this point my time is more important. I'd rather just work to earn the money to buy factory ammo, rather than spend all that time reloading each round and "saving" ten cents per shot. I don't need another hobby, and I don't shoot for pinpoint accuracy. That's just my take on it.

Scoby
02-16-14, 09:22
I've been down this road. The good thing is you've come to the realization that you will have to compromise.
That is half the battle when discussing this IMO.

I've shot just about every kind of ammo over the last few years.
I found most, not all, .223 loadings lacking. Both from a power / function and velocity standpoint.
There are exceptions. Some of the premium loadings offered by the major ammo manufacturers do very well. Problem is, as you know, they are expensive.

All my AR's are setup to function with weaker .223 ammo. I keep PMC Bronze on hand specifically for that purpose. You never know, that type ammo may be the only thing available to me at some point. It will work in my AR's but, there are better choices out there for a little more money.

The 5.56 M193 loading of the 55gr FMJ projectile is not perfect from a downrange perspective by any means but, it is available, has a higher velocity than a 55gr .223 loading, has acceptable accuracy from my AR's and is middle of the road as far as the impact it will have on your bank account. Not to mention that it has pumped a lot of pain over the last few decades. It is my range and stash ammo.

Specifically Federal XM193 is my range ammo and IMI M193 is my stash ammo. They shoot very much alike although I have found the IMI to be more accurate. That's the only reason it is my stash ammo and I bought it prior to the craziness.
If I had to choose just one for range and stash ammo it would be the Federal just from the price standpoint alone.

Palmetto just had a sale on Federal XM193BK for $375.00 per 1,000. I got their email flier yesterday evening and almost ordered some as I'm getting somewhat low on range ammo. Rethought the purchase overnight, looked it up this morning and it was all gone. It was the best price on this ammo I'd seen in some time. You may have to beat the bushes for it or wait on it but, "deals" on M193, if you can call them that nowadays, can be found.