PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement: Cover your ammo at the range.

VaeVictis
02-08-14, 21:57
I went to the range today and set up like I usually do. I put my gun case and ammo on the bench in front of me and left my ammo box open. Today the guy shooting next to me was regularly flinging brass up over the divider and into my stall, which I didn't pay much mind because I'm used to flying brass. Well it just so happened that one piece of brass happened to land on my ammo, strike a primer and ignite a round. There was a loud bang and I got hit by some debris but there was no damage other than to my ammo box. It was likely a one in a million chance, but I think I'll be covering my ammo at the range from now on.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/Dan_Meyer/0208141718_zps5ecfdd6a.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/Dan_Meyer/media/0208141718_zps5ecfdd6a.jpg.html)

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/Dan_Meyer/0208141718a_zps004db6a6.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/Dan_Meyer/media/0208141718a_zps004db6a6.jpg.html)

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/Dan_Meyer/IMG950266_zps48c02aa1.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/Dan_Meyer/media/IMG950266_zps48c02aa1.jpg.html)

CLHC
02-08-14, 22:16
Whoa Hey Mai! Stay safe out there!

ALCOAR
02-08-14, 22:16
Unreal....I would have never imagined this being possible.

Glad you're ok, and it's not hard to imagine how things could have turned out much worse.

steyrman13
02-08-14, 22:20
Was he shooting a 22mm or 50 cal?!! Seems like it would need some heavy brass to make that mark/happen...

Ed L.
02-08-14, 22:23
Wow, this is a once in a lifetime type thing that happens to like one out of 100 people (a statistic I made up just to say it is highly unlikely).

However, it sucks and can be dangerous if that one person happens to be you. In other words, just because it may be unlikely doesn't mean you should be careful.

VaeVictis
02-08-14, 23:57
Was he shooting a 22mm or 50 cal?!! Seems like it would need some heavy brass to make that mark/happen...

He was shooting a .45 and as luck would have it I was in a position to watch the whole thing happen. The brass came over the wall on my left, deflected off the right wall and then landed on the round.

tb-av
02-09-14, 00:35
Good thing you got a picture. That one is hard to believe even after you see it. I never would have guessed that could happen.

jpgm
02-09-14, 00:39
Surely tougher federal regulations would have prevented that.
Seriously, I am glad you are ok.

jpgm

ffusaf23
02-09-14, 00:54
Unreal....I would have never imagined this being possible.

This.

I'm kind of dumbstruck by this. That ejected case must have had some wicked physics involved to have enough force to do that.

bjxds
02-09-14, 07:12
WOW, Glad no one was injured. That just goes to show Life is not safe, and tomorrow is not promised. I bet You couldn't do that again if you tried a MILLION Times.
I would Go buy a Lotto Ticket!

ptmccain
02-09-14, 07:45
Now that is one of the weirdest things I've read about.

HardToHandle
02-09-14, 07:55
Pictures or it didn't happen... Wait...
Very happy it was just a startle and no injuries.

What primers did you have in the reloads? Anything especially sensitive?

Tzed250
02-09-14, 08:16
Powerball is $284 million. You should play!!

p.s. Glad you are safe.

ST911
02-09-14, 09:47
That's different. I've seen cartridges go off when dropped, especially on a certain pea gravel range, but not when things have fallen on them.

Kenneth
02-09-14, 09:55
That is some crazy stuff! Either play the lottery or stay inside for the rest of the day. That's some final destination stuff haha.

VaeVictis
02-09-14, 11:00
Pictures or it didn't happen... Wait...
Very happy it was just a startle and no injuries.

What primers did you have in the reloads? Anything especially sensitive?

They aren't reloads, factory Blazer brass. At first I was thinking they must have soft primers, but if you look closely at the third picture the stray case managed to dent the brass as well.

glocktogo
02-09-14, 11:06
They aren't reloads, factory Blazer brass. At first I was thinking they must have soft primers, but if you look closely at the third picture the stray case managed to dent the brass as well.

CCI pistol primers are pretty much the softest on the market. However, this instance is certainly one of the oddest I've ever heard of. Glad you didn't get hurt!

RedXd
02-09-14, 12:18
Un-freaking-real!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tacoops
02-09-14, 13:08
Could this have been caused by a hot case landing on a live round? I know one thing, no more leaving my ammo on the shooting bench. Thanks for sharing.

VaeVictis
02-09-14, 16:32
Could this have been caused by a hot case landing on a live round? I know one thing, no more leaving my ammo on the shooting bench. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think the case being hot had anything to do with it. If you look at the third picture the case landed with enough force to set the primer off.

tb-av
02-09-14, 17:10
I just didn't realize an empty case could have that much kinetic energy in it after having gone to the places it went beforehand. It went up, then gravity grabbed it, then it hit a wall probably taking some more energy and then it falls a couple feet. That primer looks like someone laid a case on it and hit it with a hammer. I was thinking along the lines of heat too and also static electricity... but that sure doesn't explain the dent. Unless it was heat/static and as it exploded then that force sort of wrapped itself around the case edge...... still doesn't explain the brass dents.

I once went out in my backyard and picked up a half of fire cracker where I had been setting some off the day before. It went off in my hand... no matches, no sparks, no lighter, just bang.... To this day I still don't believe it was possible to have happened nor do I know how it happened. No one around but me. Again... maybe a static discharge.

I don't believe those blue cases are anti static. In fact a lot of that stuff is highly subject to static but I've never heard of a round of ammo being set off my static either.

ST911
02-09-14, 17:14
CCI pistol primers are pretty much the softest on the market.

This is the opposite of my experience. Also differs from the advice of industry others who advised that the CCI 500 and 500 OEM small pistol primers were among the better to use to verify ignition reliability.

Is there something that quantifies the comparative hardness of various primers? That would be useful information...

bulbvivid
02-09-14, 17:14
I've seen more than a few instances of this documented on various forums. Here's one from M4C: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?66626-How-did-this-happen-9mm-goes-off-in-tray-Story-and-pics-inside. Seems like I saw a few others in a thread on the Enos forums and on arfcom, but it's hard to come up with the right search terms to dig it up. Definitely not unheard of. I've kept mine covered ever since I saw the first one.

ffusaf23
02-09-14, 17:24
Wow, maybe it's not a one in a million type circumstance...I'll be passing this along to my shooting buds.

Dead Man
02-09-14, 18:04
Wow! It doesn't seem plausible that a .45 falling from a few feet up could put a dent in there like that. It must have been spinning like a spaghetti-western ricochet.

glocktogo
02-10-14, 09:52
This is the opposite of my experience. Also differs from the advice of industry others who advised that the CCI 500 and 500 OEM small pistol primers were among the better to use to verify ignition reliability.

Is there something that quantifies the comparative hardness of various primers? That would be useful information...

Actually, you're correct. Mental fade on my part there. CCI are among the hardest. The softest are Federal. Don't know where my brain was when I typed that! :)

cjb1911
02-13-14, 09:24
And I thought I was the only one to ever witness this!

tb-av
02-13-14, 14:37
I see a new product on the horizon... AADM Anti-Accidental Discharge Mat... the first units will be released in various colors, animal prints, photo-realistic, etc.. they will look suspiciously like old mouse pads cut into specific sizes. Later to evolve into FDE and tactical Gray only. Then again... I suppose we can just close the lid....

Dead Man
02-13-14, 14:41
I see a new product on the horizon... AADM Anti-Accidental Discharge Mat... the first units will be released in various colors, animal prints, photo-realistic, etc.. they will look suspiciously like old mouse pads cut into specific sizes. Later to evolve into FDE and tactical Gray only. Then again... I suppose we can just close the lid....

All it takes in a tactical celebrity endorsement and you're an overnight success.

Captiva
02-23-14, 20:11
Is that broken tray from the brass opening up? I confess to not knowing what happens to the bullet in this instance. Not being in a chamber Would it just fall out of the case?

Moss
02-23-14, 20:49
Wow. Glad everyone is fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

VaeVictis
02-23-14, 21:47
Is that broken tray from the brass opening up? I confess to not knowing what happens to the bullet in this instance. Not being in a chamber Would it just fall out of the case?

Essentially when a round goes off there is a small explosion. Since the force wasn't directed forward it ruptured the casing and blew up my case. The bullet wasn't propelled with enough force to even deform it. It pretty much fell harmlessly to the floor.

USA
03-10-14, 13:51
So does this mean I should not store my .223 and 5.45 ammo loose in an ammo can? I store all of my ammo loose currently, i.e., 9mm, .223 and 5.45, in .30 or .50 cal ammo cans. I try to be gentle with them, but on the other hand surely UPS handles the packages rougher than I would when I order loose packed ammo online.