PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75B ???

Elkhound
02-09-14, 08:51
I have googled this question, but all it brings up is price lists. I checked the CZ forum, and to my surprise, I did not find the answer.

If I buy a stock CZ 75 B, what are the suggested upgrades/improvements simply to make it a more reliable, accurate and enjoyable range shooter? I don't envision buying one for carry, or home defense, unless I really like the first one.

Thanks,

Will

Kenneth
02-09-14, 09:58
The CZ will be plenty accurate and reliable out of the box. Only complaint will be the trigger if any at all. I suggest going to cajun gun works and do some shopping for upgrades.

Wildcat
02-09-14, 14:15
Disable the magazine brake. There is a strip of sheet steel lining the back inside of the magazine well. It presses against the magazine to prevent it from dropping free. Usually the brake can be disabled simply by removing the strip and flexing it the opposite direction, enough to give it a set, and then putting it back in the gun.

As mentioned, usually the lockwork needs a bit of polishing.

After that buy magazines and ammo.

SteveL
02-09-14, 14:33
Disable the magazine brake. There is a strip of sheet steel lining the back inside of the magazine well. It presses against the magazine to prevent it from dropping free. Usually the brake can be disabled simply by removing the strip and flexing it the opposite direction, enough to give it a set, and then putting it back in the gun.

As mentioned, usually the lockwork needs a bit of polishing.

After that buy magazines and ammo.

Why wouldn't you just remove the strip altogether?

ScatmanCrothers
02-09-14, 14:42
The CZ will be plenty accurate and reliable out of the box. Only complaint will be the trigger if any at all. I suggest going to cajun gun works and do some shopping for upgrades.

Definitely worth scrolling through and reading about Cajun's upgrades. The only things I touched on my 75B were the trigger and some more aggressive checkered grips coupled with grip tape. Add a couple slide stops to the parts bin and enjoy the well priced Mecgar mags.

Wildcat
02-09-14, 17:04
Why wouldn't you just remove the strip altogether?

Leaving it in, after bending it to make it non functional, leaves the brake as a smooth surface for the magazine to ride against during insertion and it reduces the opportunity for crap to get into the mainspring area of the frame.

The pistol will work with magazine brake removed entirely.

Bret
02-09-14, 17:13
I have a pretty good collection of CZ75's and clones (Witness, Canik, SAR, Armalite). If you're pretty much going to use it for a range gun, then I'd recommend going with the CZ75 B SA. SA stands for single action. You can adjust the trigger, although I'm actually very pleased with the way mine is out of the box. I think it's closer to a 1911 trigger feel than the regular DA/SA trigger. Another thing that I'd recommend is replacing the sights, unless you're just blessed with great vision. The dots are just too small. I don't know why CZ puts such small dots on their sights. They must think that their customers all have great vision. FYI, Witness (aka Tanfoglio) sights are much better as are SAR sights. The Canik sights are smaller like the CZ sights. BTW, the SA CZ75 B SA allows the magazines to drop free without modification. It's also a little more muzzle heavy (look at pictures to compare it to the regular version) which help with shooting at the range. Finally, the safety is different and easier to manipulate.
https://czusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/af/01/af01ab6770c49d620a259cd582322ad6.png
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b-sa/

Here's a target that I shot with my CZ75 B SA at 15 feet. Each square is one inch. The ammo was 100rds of the inexpensive Federal Champion 115gr FMJ.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/894x670q90/809/u77j.jpg

iveschrhis
02-09-14, 19:30
Check out Brian Enos' forum where competition shooters push the envelope on the CZ designs.

I've run both pre-B '85s and 75s from time to time since 1982 for duty or CCW. The B models with the drop safe hammers have more crunch-n-tick as Cooper said but all are serviceable compared to earlier models (parts interop' is an issue as well just do your home work). How they work will be mostly a function of how you run it. High round count may show issues with the slide lock or some of the small springs (of which there are a fair amount; this is Browning, second-generation engineering versus Glock or HK).

The target noted above show average not aberrant accuracy.

Holsters can be an issue although they are out there. Same same grips….

Several custom outfits are out there for tuning as noted above.

YMMV

SteveL
02-09-14, 19:52
Leaving it in, after bending it to make it non functional, leaves the brake as a smooth surface for the magazine to ride against during insertion and it reduces the opportunity for crap to get into the mainspring area of the frame.

The pistol will work with magazine brake removed entirely.

I figured there was probably a good reason but as I'm not especially familiar with CZ pistols I had no idea what it was. Thanks for the explanation.

Kenneth
02-09-14, 19:56
I have both a SP01 shadow custom and a complete custom P01 and they are both by far the most accurate pistols I have fired. The SP01's shoot so flat it's pretty ridiculous. If you game at all then a shadow is the way to go. It instantly made me a better shooter. I have so many rounds through it that my mag springs are pathetic lol.

skyeboy
02-09-14, 20:12
my buddy got this gun when i got my glock, i wanted to hate it but its pretty accurate and he has had no issues with reliability stock

Hersh
02-09-14, 20:32
Another option for CZ work is Matt Mink at Automatic Accuracy. http://automaticaccuracy.net/
Matt is a team CZ shooter and does excellent work. I recently bought a 75 SP 01 Shadow from him to run in USPSA Production and couldn't be happier. In the interest of full disclosure, Matt is a friend.

MegademiC
02-09-14, 22:56
I like strikers and Sao. When I had a Cz, I installed a Sao trigger and was extremely satisfied. If its a range , only gun, I'd get a Sao trigger with adjustable pre and over travel (available from Cz custom), a competition hammer, and remove the fp block.

If you like da/sa, sorry. I changed mine to Sao shortly after buying it and can't comment.

The gun should be very reliable and accurate, just keep on on maintenance and stick with mec-gar mags.

bigmatt
02-09-14, 23:59
It depends on how mild or wild you want to get, and if you want to do any of the work yourself. Automatic Accuracy, CZ Custom, or CGW can all do great work on your CZ if you are all thumbs. If you have some mechanical skill you can smooth the action following tips from this thread (http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=42537.msg239405#msg239405) to remove the grittiness from a new pistol. I would say you could replace both the trigger and firing retaining pins and the extended firing pin (or just get one of the SRS kits) from CGW for a basic improvement in reliability and ease of maintenance at the minimum.

Matt O
02-10-14, 08:06
I would strongly suggest procuring CGW parts and doing the work yourself. It's not that difficult, saves you a couple hundred dollars and you learn a lot about how the CZ works mechanically.

Wildcat
02-10-14, 15:51
I would strongly suggest procuring CGW parts and doing the work yourself. It's not that difficult, saves you a couple hundred dollars and you learn a lot about how the CZ works mechanically.

Pick a clear work area if you do the job on your own. There are a lot of small parts, some of them under spring pressure.