PDA

View Full Version : I Had 9mm and 40 5" FNS Pistols In My Hand Yesterday

okie john
02-09-14, 16:59
I saw these two pistols at West Coast Armory in Bellevue, WA (http://www.westcoastarmory.com/). Price for each was under $700. I have no financial interest in either WCA or these two pistols.

Overall, they're pretty sweet. The 40 was two-tone, the 9 was all black. Add the following notes to everything you've already read about FNS pistols.

The trigger in the 40 was about 6 pounds and typical for what's been reported for other FNS pistols: heavy and gritty, but fairly crisp and likely to slick up with 1-2k rounds fired. The trigger in the 9 was more like the trigger in a G34 or 35, and again, likely to smooth out in time.

Both guns had factory night sights, which are probably adequate for duty or defense use but likely a little coarse for gun games. I didn't shoot them, so I can't comment on whether FN has solved for the POI/POA issues that plague Glock pistols.

Overall, these pistols seemed both longer and slimmer than a similar Glock. They seemed to come up quickly and point naturally, much like a 7 1/2" S&W Model 41 if you're old enough to remember them. I also think they're not too long for concealed carry, though AIWB carry might be iffy.

My only real concern with these pistols is aftermarket support--the sooner we see things like sights, holsters, and especially something like the trigger parts that Apex builds for the M&P, the better.

Anyway, now you know what I know--these pistols finally do exist in the wild, and the price isn't ridiculous. I think they look interesting, and I'll likely pick one up when I get a little spare cash.

Okie John

Hwikek
02-09-14, 18:43
I saw these two pistols at West Coast Armory in Bellevue, WA (http://www.westcoastarmory.com/). Price for each was under $700. I have no financial interest in either WCA or these two pistols.

The trigger in the 40 was about 6 pounds and typical for what's been reported for other FNS pistols: heavy and gritty, but fairly crisp and likely to slick up with 1-2k rounds fired. The trigger in the 9 was more like the trigger in a G34 or 35, and again, likely to smooth out in time.

I'm pretty sure Buds still has them for $550 without safety. At $700 I'd personally rather wait for the HK striker fired to arrive sometime after May. The one I handled definitely seemed to have a better stock trigger than a production G19 or 17. The pull was not as smooth as say a SIG but it also was not DA/SA for those who don't dig the decocker. I am a but anxious about getting one myself since FN has seemingly been a bit of an under performer in the handgun market and beta testing isn't my forte. If you do get one let us know how it pans out.

Marshall Dillon
02-09-14, 23:29
OJ, I have two FNS-9 pistols...one is my daily carry and one I've mounted a TLR-1 on for bedside duty, since I prefer to have the same pistol for both duties. I've fallen in love with this pistol. I put 2,250 rounds through my carry gun without cleaning it and it never skipped a beat...not one malfunction of any kind with a multitude of different factory hardball and hollowpoint rounds (Federal, Winchester, Magtech, Hornady, Remington, etc.). I liked the carry gun so much that I bought another for bedside duty.

While I paid closer to $700 for the first one, the second one I bought more recently and prices have come down...$450 on sale from an outfit called Woods & Water in Alabama. Both pistols have factory night sights.

As a quick clarifier, I own pistols from Glock, SIG, HK, Springfield, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, etc. I've owned and shot nearly everything on the market today and I personally choose the FNS-9. I can't recommend the pistol enough.

With respect to the trigger, I spoke with Dave Sevigney at the SHOT Show last month in Vegas and asked him what he's done to his... He said he personally worked on his to get it down to about 3 lbs but isn't aware of anybody who does quality trigger work on the gun at this point. That said, the trigger on my carry gun has smoothed out quite nicely over the past few months as the round count has ramped up.

I think the gun is one of the most overlooked and underestimated pistols on the market today.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/dgormont4/dgormont4005/FNSTwins_zps5405256e.jpg

G19A3
02-10-14, 05:20
I know these are defensive/combat pistols and it shouldn't matter, but...

I can't get past the looks of this pistol. The various visual design character lines just don't blend well in my eyes.

It reminds me of the old Benelli 9mm pistols from the 1980's.

Everyone say the Glock is ugly, but they have simple, uncomplicated lines.

whick1
02-10-14, 07:54
My brother in law has one of these and he loves it. He does not put his guns thru harsh use as he is not into training he likes just going to the range and firing a couple hundred rounds every month or so therefore I can not speak for their long term orhard use reliability. I did like how it felt in my hand and the way it pointed. I also like the look of it. I had a chance to get one at a local shop for right at $550 out the door(Family lives in LExington where Buds is) but passed because of lack of mags, holsters, spare parts, etc. There may be testing out there but would like to see some real world tests done by respected individuals.
It just hard to fork out an extra $125 for an unknown when I can get a Glock or M&P on the Blue label program fro $400.

Tequila45
02-10-14, 11:22
My brother in law has one of these and he loves it. He does not put his guns thru harsh use as he is not into training he likes just going to the range and firing a couple hundred rounds every month or so therefore I can not speak for their long term orhard use reliability. I did like how it felt in my hand and the way it pointed. I also like the look of it. I had a chance to get one at a local shop for right at $550 out the door(Family lives in LExington where Buds is) but passed because of lack of mags, holsters, spare parts, etc. There may be testing out there but would like to see some real world tests done by respected individuals.
It just hard to fork out an extra $125 for an unknown when I can get a Glock or M&P on the Blue label program fro $400.

Fn is not un unknown, buy with confidence. I have a browning pro9 (civilian fnp9) and fnp45. Both digest any thing I shove down their throats. You right about mags and being scarce. Holsters are a bit easier to find now by reputable companies.

Voodoo_Man
02-10-14, 11:24
The fns9 is alright but the trigger is complete junk.

Check my blog for a mini review of it I did when it came out.

m1a_scoutguy
02-11-14, 00:11
Fn is not un unknown, buy with confidence. I have a browning pro9 (civilian fnp9) and fnp45. Both digest any thing I shove down their throats. You right about mags and being scarce. Holsters are a bit easier to find now by reputable companies.

I agree,,I have had a FNS 9 since last Spring and I love it !! I would say I have close to 3K through the gun and it has run great,,it is friggin accurate and has been unbelievably reliable ! I would not say the trigger is junk,,but could use some improvement for sure,but I checked mine the other day with just a cheap spring trigger gauge & it broke between 5-3/4 & 6-1/4,,not great,,but then its not a 1911 either ! Maybe its just me but I think the reset is fine,,very loud click & feel on my gun. I had a local guy make a Kydex holster for me,,but there are lots out there,,if anyone needs one,PM me and I'll send ya some links ! Mags are more $$ than Glock for sure,,but about on par with M&Ps for the most part. I need 10 rd mags cuz I live in a Commie State,,but I can find them with no problem,heck MidwayUSA had some last I checked ! Anyways,,I ran the gun all last Summer in a bunch of IDPA matches & it never let me down,,,hell I have been shooting it in my Local Action Pistol League this winter and compared to running my Glock 17,,my scores are a bit higher with the FN than with my 17 & its not for lack of using my Glock,,I ran that for the last 3 years off & on with my 1911s, I just shoot the FN better than my Glocks ! Anyways,,if the FN interests you and you can get it @ the right price,I say jump,,they are awesome pistols !

Tequila45
02-11-14, 09:53
The fns9 is alright but the trigger is complete junk.

Check my blog for a mini review of it I did when it came out.

Yeah, I wouldn't say junk. The fnp/x models are combat pistols so the triggers aren't going to be the greatest. I think the reason ppl don't like the fn pistol line is the da/sa. Its a different feel in the trigger going from da to sa. It takes some getting used to like a sig.

Edit:I understand the fns is striker fired. I was referring to the hammer fired pistols I mentioned I owned.
The trigger on the fns is not worse nor better than my m&p9 fyi.

Voodoo_Man
02-11-14, 12:53
Yeah, I wouldn't say junk. The fnp/x models are combat pistols so the triggers aren't going to be the greatest. I think the reason ppl don't like the fn pistol line is the da/sa. Its a different feel in the trigger going from da to sa. It takes some getting used to like a sig.

Edit:I understand the fns is striker fired. I was referring to the hammer fired pistols I mentioned I owned.
The trigger on the fns is not worse nor better than my m&p9 fyi.

I was specifically talking about the FNS9, which I owned right after they were released because I had really high hopes, which were shattered by a MOAB.

Link to my mini-review for those who don't want to search for it - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2012/10/fns-9-repost.html

I had an FNP 45 Tactical. It was easily one of the greatest pistols I have ever had. Super accurate, functionally built and fast as hell. In my opinion, however, hammer-fired pistols are last century's technology and I got rid of it. I asked an FNH Rep at Warrior Expo East last year if they were planning on releasing an FNP 9 Tactical, and they said no. Which blows, because that would be a dream of a gun.

okie john
02-11-14, 14:36
I was specifically talking about the FNS9, which I owned right after they were released because I had really high hopes, which were shattered by a MOAB.

Link to my mini-review for those who don't want to search for it - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2012/10/fns-9-repost.html

Great review.

What's a MOAB?

Sorry, I'm new here.

Okie John

Voodoo_Man
02-11-14, 14:56
Great review.

What's a MOAB?

Sorry, I'm new here.

Okie John

Just messin around, I had high hopes.

Straight Shooter
02-11-14, 15:08
I know its a better gun...but the damn things look like a God-awful SIGMA to me in a way.

cttbax
03-17-14, 20:44
I recently picked up a used FNS 9 at a local shop lightly used. I have largely ignored these guns since they launched. I am a glock shoot for sure, no doubt about it. But the first range session really peaked my interest. These are very accurate pistols. I ran several hundred down the pipe of cheap ball ammo and 4 mags of carry ammo, mostly fedreral hst and hornady critical defense with no issues. I was so smitten with this pistol I thought seriously about moving on from glocks. I really thought about it for a few days. I am very invested in the glock platform with multiple guns,holsters and mags. I am not making any major moves, but I am going to carry and shoot this fns 9mm more and see if I can outshoot my previous glock scores. Who knows? I might just re tool.

PatrioticDisorder
03-18-14, 07:11
What is the POA/POI problem that plagues Glocks? This is news to me...

walkin' trails
03-18-14, 07:28
I handled one an an FN distributor back when they first came out. The trigger had the most crisp break of any poly-striker pistol I'd ever played with, and a little surprised to later read mixed reviews of it being heavy and gritty. I have not actually had the chance to fire one yet, and they don't seem to be catching on with law enforcement agencies in my area.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

okie john
03-18-14, 13:22
What is the POA/POI problem that plagues Glocks? This is news to me...

Some individual Glock pistols hit well above where the sights point, which people who rarely shoot at 25 yards or beyond may never notice. I detailed my experiences on this thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94640-Trijicon-HD-Sight-POI-Question&highlight=customer We take the problem from discovery to solution, and a couple of other good folks chime in, so it's a pretty good description of the issue. People on other forums report the same problem, so it's not limited to people here.

My other Glocks and other pistols didn't have this problem. The issue isn't as common as BTF, but is every bit as aggravating when you have to sort it out, ESPECIALLY if you want to stick with fixed sights.

I think it might have to do with locking blocks. Grant believes that it's a lockup issue. I don't think Glock cares--I feel like they've taken over HK's "you suck and we hate you" Customer Service mantra.

Okie John

PatrioticDisorder
03-18-14, 15:17
Some individual Glock pistols hit well above where the sights point, which people who rarely shoot at 25 yards or beyond may never notice. I detailed my experiences on this thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94640-Trijicon-HD-Sight-POI-Question&highlight=customer We take the problem from discovery to solution, and a couple of other good folks chime in, so it's a pretty good description of the issue. People on other forums report the same problem, so it's not limited to people here.

My other Glocks and other pistols didn't have this problem. The issue isn't as common as BTF, but is every bit as aggravating when you have to sort it out, ESPECIALLY if you want to stick with fixed sights.

I think it might have to do with locking blocks. Grant believes that it's a lockup issue. I don't think Glock cares--I feel like they've taken over HK's "you suck and we hate you" Customer Service mantra.

Okie John

Interesting, I moved away from Glock because of their lack of a response to the BTF issue that's plagued them. I didn't even know about the POA/POI issue. I had a Gen3 19 built before BTF problems that was the most accurate handgun I'd shot at 25 yards. That gun definitely didn't have a POA/POI issue.

okie john
03-18-14, 15:52
Interesting, I moved away from Glock because of their lack of a response to the BTF issue that's plagued them. I didn't even know about the POA/POI issue. I had a Gen3 19 built before BTF problems that was the most accurate handgun I'd shot at 25 yards. That gun definitely didn't have a POA/POI issue.

I think there are two factors in play here. First is the sheer number of guns involved: there are probably fewer guns with the POA/POI issue than there are with the BTF issue.

Second is how many people actually notice it. The POA/POI issue doesn't really show up inside of 25 yards. Most shooters never even try to shoot that far away, so they never see it. If they do, they're happy to be on the paper at that range, so again they don't notice. You'll definitely notice the BTF issue because your head is always within range of the ejection port.

Okie John

Artifact
03-18-14, 17:31
I had the 9mm got rid of it for a G19. Trigger didn't impress me that much. I do like the grip much better than the G19 though.

Nowski87
03-18-14, 17:41
I have both right now and I'm thinking of sticking to the 19 for one reason. When I shoot the FN it feels like the grip flexes in may hand and smacks my right palm with a noticeable sting. Has anybody else had this, I do use the flat back strap if that matters.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

pat701
03-18-14, 17:45
Which one did you like better thr 9mm or the 40?

NCPatrolAR
03-18-14, 17:48
From what I've seen, the FN striker guns tend to be more reliable then their hammer guns (minus the 45)

bm176
03-19-14, 05:53
i have the fns 9/ls, feels good in my hand and pretty darn accurate. though they talk about the improved trigger, thinking it might be lighter.....nope, kinda on the heavy side as compared to my other pistols....but wait, theres something about it nice short reset/audible, and almost nil take up and click...almost like a good after market 1911 trigger pull. some pics and first time out at the range
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/image_zps6858ac9b.jpg
with my fnx 45
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/image_zps2ebd1b0d.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/image_zpsf8702efe.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/image_zps817b4aa9.jpg