PDA

View Full Version : Do any Right-handed shooters use the ambi bolt release on their SR-15?

scooter22
02-09-14, 20:47
I'm wondering how many Right-handed SR-15 shooters train using the ambi bolt release.

I had a POF lower back in 2008 that had an ambi bolt release, and felt that it was more accessible than the one on my SR-15.

FWIW, I think I will stick to the original manual of arms, i.e. the left-side bolt release.

Jaysop
02-09-14, 21:26
I do, it takes a step out of the reload process. My left hand goes back to the suport position instead of the the bolt catch. It took a while to train into that though.

steyrman13
02-09-14, 21:45
I'm wondering how many Right-handed SR-15 shooters train using the ambi bolt release.

I had a POF lower back in 2008 that had an ambi bolt release, and felt that it was more accessible than the one on my SR-15.

FWIW, I think I will stick to the original manual of arms, i.e. the left-side bolt release.

I find it the same as you. It is too close to the ejection port cover for me so my finger usually hits the cover first or Mag release. I realize those are training issues, but since my other lower that i use more often doesn't have an ambi bolt release, I just choose to train without using it.

scooter22
02-09-14, 21:50
I find it the same as you. It is too close to the ejection port cover for me so my finger usually hits the cover first or Mag release. I realize those are training issues, but since my other lower that i use more often doesn't have an ambi bolt release, I just choose to train without using it.

The exact same thing happens to me. My mentality is also the same. However, it's kind of a bummer...

weggy
02-09-14, 21:51
No, don't like it.

Koshinn
02-09-14, 23:18
I do... When conducting reloads left handed.

Strange, right? But I have short fingers so can't reach the standard bolt release with my left index finger and I find it easier to hit the right side bolt release with my right thumb than to reach around the receiver. But that's just me.