PDA

View Full Version : AIM NiB BCG is this Normal?

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-10-14, 20:13
I took my new AIM BCG to the range yesterday and ran about 100rds through it at the range. Once I came home and popped it out to clean this is how I find it..even after cleaning it with hoppes #9 and taking a toothbrush to it the discolorization will not come off. I bought this for ease of cleaning and while I do not believe this hinders the performance, is this normal? More or less a pain in the ass, especially when I clean it the next time I'm gonna keep thinking it has buildup. I watched mrgunsngear's video review when he breaks down the BCG and it looks nothing like this, looks as clean as when it came out of the box.

Other info- I'm running this through an Vltor MUR 1A, I was using 55g .223 ammo from PPU Ammunition, light lube before using.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q754/Theycallmegmoney/image_zps6e23d400.jpg (http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Theycallmegmoney/media/image_zps6e23d400.jpg.html)

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q754/Theycallmegmoney/image_zps1cf74def.jpg (http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Theycallmegmoney/media/image_zps1cf74def.jpg.html)

BBossman
02-10-14, 20:57
Isn't Hoppes known for discoloring/attacking nickle?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-10-14, 21:30
Isn't Hoppes known for discoloring/attacking nickle?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Hhhmmmm that would have been good to know, wouldn't have thought that. The label says do not "soak" nickel plated. Which I dipped a toothbrush in and lightly scrubbed no soaking.

discreet
02-10-14, 21:35
Hhhmmmm that would have been good to know, wouldn't have thought that. The label says do not "soak" nickel plated. Which I dipped a toothbrush in and lightly scrubbed no soaking.

Fail Zero and a few other companies specifically say not to use Hopps #9 on it. If there is a warning on the bottle about nickel, you should avoid using it.

Reason I just use Rand CLP and fireclean. 0 crap that will mess coatings up.

Question is, did it look like this before or after you used the Hopps. Either way tho, I'd discontinue using it right away regardless of if this caused it.

tog
02-10-14, 21:57
Was it like that when you received it? Sometimes manufacturers will use copper (II) sulfate to test the quality of their nickel plate. They will pull out a specimen and immerse it in the copper (II) sulfate. This could have been one of their test pieces.
Tog

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-10-14, 23:02
Fail Zero and a few other companies specifically say not to use Hopps #9 on it. If there is a warning on the bottle about nickel, you should avoid using it.

Reason I just use Rand CLP and fireclean. 0 crap that will mess coatings up.

Question is, did it look like this before or after you used the Hopps. Either way tho, I'd discontinue using it right away regardless of if this caused it.

Well the bottle only said dont soak and of course I didn't look at the bottle until after I posed this thread. I just got complacent using hoppes. On a side note this is the first BCG with an o ring for the bolt that I've owned. From what I'm reading you don't have to have it. B/c it's a pain in the ass, I can't get the bolt pin back In Without needing some channel locks. So I just left it off and the pin feed right through.

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-10-14, 23:07
Was it like that when you received it? Sometimes manufacturers will use copper (II) sulfate to test the quality of their nickel plate. They will pull out a specimen and immerse it in the copper (II) sulfate. This could have been one of their test pieces.
Tog

And no it looked brand new outta the box, only looked like that after

_Stormin_
02-10-14, 23:32
Mine is coated in Fireclean, but still hasn't been cleaned... Just figured I would run it until I had an issue.

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-11-14, 06:57
Well I guess I'm going to chalk this up to one of those life lessons learned the hard way

markm
02-11-14, 07:13
Yep. Who cares? Run that sucker silly. I blotched the finish on a Colt Carrier by using an Ultrasonice cleaner. Shit happens.

skydivr
02-11-14, 08:55
I have a brand new NiB BCG complete (Rainer), nothing but Fireclean on it, and it did the exact same thing after it's first use. (stained).

I thought maybe it was the FireClean.

JustG45
02-11-14, 09:11
This is why I use Ballistol.

MistWolf
02-11-14, 10:30
I have an FZ carrier. It darkened up with use. Your discoloration is normal

Kain
02-11-14, 12:40
Slight derail. Will Hoppes 9 discolor a straight nickle plated finish? Had an old Nickleplated revolver that was given to me a number of year back by a friend of the family after her husband died. Shot it about 15 times, could care less about it but I have never see any discoloration and Hoppes is my usually choice for cleaner. All this is making me want to pull it apart and see if there are any stains on it. Of course I've never soaked it in the Hoppes either. Could the NiB coatings be more sensitive to this type of thing?

Stickman
02-11-14, 12:43
Looks pretty typical, go shoot it some more and watch how much darker it gets.

plouffedaddy
02-11-14, 15:39
I have an FZ carrier. It darkened up with use. Your discoloration is normal

This is my experience with NB carriers as well. The good news about the NiB coated stuff is you shouldn't need any solvents though.

hunt_ak
02-11-14, 16:22
I'd sell it. Throw it up on the EE...but lemme know when you do....

Heavy Metal
02-11-14, 16:41
Hoppes 9 does not attack Nickel, it attacks Copper.

Hoppes 9 contains Oleate of Ammonia.

Ammonia attacks Copper.

Old-timey electroplated firearms has Nickel plating over a Copper substrate.

Pin holes in the Nickel allowed the Ammonia to attack the substrate, thus undermining the Nickel coating.

I am pretty sure Nickel-Boron is an electroless Nickel finish and therefore, should not be damaged.

Shiz
02-11-14, 17:03
..even after cleaning it

Well there's your problem! :smile:

(I admit to cleaning my ARs once in a while too.) My NiB BCG is turning pretty colors too. Normal. I always run mine with lube too...Slip 2k grease.

cofi
02-11-14, 18:30
I have over 10k through my spikes nib bcg all I have ever used to clean it is hopped #9 I have no discoloration that looks like that

Brahmzy
02-11-14, 19:38
I don't send how y'all can still be using Hoppes. That shit stinks so damn bad. Awful stuff.

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-12-14, 08:19
Just an update. I emailed AIM when I posted here. This is the response I received back from Bryan.

"Hello Grant,
that finish is prone to staining, its still slick and and works the same but it will stain. The BCG in my Hogan .308 rifle looks brown its so stained but is still slick as snot!
the longer is sits dirty the more likely to stain, and shooting suppressed makes it stain faster also."

Bryan
Aim

ibmikey
02-12-14, 08:40
I have several AIM carriers, one stained the other did not.....so far, my Rainier and PSA NB carriers have dulled a bit but not stained. I use Mobil one for lube and each had about 500 rounds through it, the stained one shoots and cleans just the same as the rest and the stains are hiding inside the receiver so what the heck! Try black nitride it does not stain.

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-12-14, 09:05
I have several AIM carriers, one stained the other did not.....so far, my Rainier and PSA NB carriers have dulled a bit but not stained. I use Mobil one for lube and each had about 500 rounds through it, the stained one shoots and cleans just the same as the rest and the stains are hiding inside the receiver so what the heck! Try black nitride it does not stain.

Yeah I also have a young mfg chrome BCG, and a Colt BCG this is my first NiB so I was just making sure all was well

MistWolf
02-12-14, 09:54
I don't send how y'all can still be using Hoppes. That shit stinks so damn bad. Awful stuff.

What are you talking about? Hoppe's #9 is sweet smelling and drives the girls crazy- if it weren't for Hoppe's #9, Momma wouldna married Poppa!

You sure you were raised right?

Eurodriver
02-12-14, 10:14
editted

DiveFlyFun
04-02-14, 10:58
Get some Flitz polisher/cleaner and it should clean right up

Airhasz
04-02-14, 11:11
What are you talking about? Hoppe's #9 is sweet smelling and drives the girls crazy- if it weren't for Hoppe's #9, Momma wouldna married Poppa!

You sure you were raised right?

:sarcastic: