PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing between 2 optics.

jesuvuah
02-11-14, 06:17
I want to get a vortex PST 2.5-10 scope. I have a 1-4 and love it. Someday I will have a nightforce, but not today. So they make 2 different models in this magnification as I am sure many of you know. The firs is the 2.5-10x44 SFP and the other is the 2.5-10X32 FFP. From what I can see they both have some pros and cons for me.

I plan on shooting 0-600 yrds with the gun and will probably do an offset RDS. The FFP model is sleaker which I like. But I am not sure I like the FFP and a scope that goes down to 2.5x. The pics I have seen it looks like the reticle almost disappears. First hand experience would be helpful. I am also not sure if the parallax adjustment is necessary for me considering what I want to do with it. It is a great feature, but I guess I am worried that if I am always messing with the parallax it might slow me down. That being said, I guess I could just set it on a setting like 100yrd and only mess with it when I am doing the real precise work. The SFP is a couple hundred cheaper of course, which is appealing. I think the SFP would be nice for hunting when I am in the woods and need the scope cranked down.

I really wish I could see both scopes, but everywhere I go has neither. Even the cabelas near by has almost the full PST line but the 2.5-10 models.

Anyway, trying to figure this out is driving me crazy.

JR TACTICAL
02-11-14, 07:59
What kind of rifle is it going on? I have a PST SFP 2.5-10 and love it. My rides on a custom SPR type build I made for hunting and pinging steel out past 200 yards. I cant speak for anything out to the 600 yard mark because I have not attempted that yet but I have shot at about 300 and that is more than enough scope for that kind of range. As far as the FFP version I have no experience, I noticed you stated you were just going to set your paralax at 100 and not mess with it much. If that is true the I would get the SFP version because its paralax is set at 100 and it will save you that extra money to buy a nice mount if you don't have one already.

Just my 2 cents but I'm sure you would be happy with either, if you decide on the SFP version buy with confidence, it truly is a great scope.

jesuvuah
02-11-14, 08:04
It is on a 16" SS midlength barrel. Sports a UBR stock and geissle SSA trigger. What I was getting at with the parallax was if I was doing closer in work and switching between targets at various distances quickly, I could keep the parallax set at 100 rds mimicking most scopes without parallax, but still use it for the longer ranges when I am going with precision.

I just wish I could see both in person. Is the reticle on the SFP model thick enough to be somewhat quick on the lower speed, say on a running deer?

Eurodriver
02-11-14, 08:52
Just posted recently.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145309-Nightforce-NXS-2-5-10x42-review

Have you used an ffp reticle in this magnification range? At 2.5x the crosshair is so tiny that it's nearly useless. To counteract this the manufacturer can enlarge it, but then it isn't fine enough at 10x.

It comes down to personal preference, but I have actually used the vortex 2.5-10x32 and prefer my nightforce specifically because the reticle is sfp.

For range estimation below max magnification ffp is nice, but I rarely find myself doing that as it is. However, I do shoot quite often at 2.5x magnification, so I like an easy to see reticle.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but ffp doesn't work for me on a 2.5-10 optic.

VooDoo6Actual
02-11-14, 10:31
2.5x10x44 SFP