PDA

View Full Version : IonBond Question

K9222
02-11-14, 17:04
Looking to find a Mil spec bolt with black o-ring and heavy duty extractor that's Ionbonded.

If I cannot find one for sale, can I send in my BCM bolt to be Ionbonded or does it have to be in the white and non chromed lined to be able to Ionbond?

TMS951
02-11-14, 18:09
Looking to find a Mil spec bolt with black o-ring and heavy duty extractor that's Ionbonded.

If I cannot find one for sale, can I send in my BCM bolt to be Ionbonded or does it have to be in the white and non chromed lined to be able to Ionbond?

I have to ask why? I would much rather chrome or nickel boron. Why ion bond?, my expirince has left me less than impressed by it

K9222
02-11-14, 18:34
I have to ask why? I would much rather chrome or nickel boron. Why ion bond?, my expirince has left me less than impressed by it

Properly done Ionbond/DLC is really nice. I've had several things ionbonded and really enjoy the product. What I like most about it is that its porous. In the past I've really oiled and sometimes soaked my Ionbonded treated things in oil. I heat the part, then let it cool in my oil of preference and it seams to really soak up the oil. I found by doing this, later all I needed to do was wipe it off. This bolt will reside in a suppressed rifle and in the past I've also found the Ionbond to retain its oil better while running suppressed or run very hard in short barreled guns.

I don't like how thick Nickol boron is either, I've had two seperate issues before running a Nickol boron coated bolt in a standard carrier. I will be running a LMT E-carrier so unless I can find one that's been nib coated, I'll have to find a Ionbond coated bolt instead.

elephantrider
02-11-14, 20:23
As far as I know BCM does not offer IonBond treatment as an ongoing service. They did sell some IonBonded complete BCGs (I have one and like it a lot) a few years back. I don't think they offer them anymore, or at least if the y do they are so few and far between that they are very hard to get a hold of. I find the same results as you, my IonBonded BCG holds the lubrication better than my non-IonBonded BCM BCG, especially on the carrier rails. My recommendation would be to pick up whatever BCG fits your needs and send it off to be IonBonded through one of their service providers. I used Springer Precision the last time I had something IonBonded. They took a little longer than anticipated, but got it done relatively painlessly and communicated pretty well. I would recommend test firing any parts before sending them off, and making any mods to the finish first (some people like to polish the carrier rails on LMT BCGs as they are rough sometimes). You may also want to consider just having the carrier IonBonded as I find the most benefit there and the prices have gone up for IonBond treatment. My BCM came with the firing pin treated, which I didn't think was all that necessary.

Iraqgunz
02-11-14, 21:23
I have a BCM black Ion bonded carrier and it is so slick that lube literally runs away. The upside is that it still stays pretty slick. The NP3 seems to do the same thing and at the end of the day as long as my bolt itself is still wet, I am happy.

K9222
02-11-14, 22:50
Anybody know if the parts have to be "in the white" or can the parts that are chrome lined be Ionbonded as well. The inside of the gas key and inside of the carrier is chromed lined.

MikeCLeonard
02-11-14, 23:42
I have an LMT bolt that I had IonBonded...and it's run just fine. It resides in an LMT enhanced carrier with the standard finish though, so I can't say for sure if there would be tolerance stacking issues with both parts being coated...But I'd guess that it would work just fine.

You could always send an email to BCM and ask them whether they had their carrier groups IonBonded in the white...or whether they just sent in normal finished carriers to have coated.

**Edit to add** Yes, even the chromed-lined parts can be coated at IonBond. (I also had an LMT carrier Ionbonded inside and out)...but I sold it before using it.

K9222
02-12-14, 00:00
I have an LMT bolt that I had IonBonded...and it's run just fine. It resides in an LMT enhanced carrier with the standard finish though, so I can't say for sure if there would be tolerance stacking issues with both parts being coated...But I'd guess that it would work just fine.

You could always send an email to BCM and ask them whether they had their carrier groups IonBonded in the white...or whether they just sent in normal finished carriers to have coated.

**Edit to add** Yes, even the chromed-lined parts can be coated at IonBond. (I also had an LMT carrier Ionbonded inside and out)...but I sold it before using it.

Great, that's everything I needed to know. I don't worry about tolerance stacking with Ionbond. It penetrates metal and only leaves about 3-4 microns thickness to part . Great, looks like I'll just send my BCM and Ecarrier in to be Ionbonded.

Another question for you, did you disassemble your bolt or did they do it for you. Are your rings, ejector, and extractor springs coated as well?

Obscenejesster
02-12-14, 00:07
Great, that's everything I needed to know. I don't worry about tolerance stacking with Ionbond. It penetrates metal and only leaves about 3-4 microns thickness to part . Great, looks like I'll just send my BCM and Ecarrier in to be Ionbonded.

Another question for you, did you disassemble your bolt or did they do it for you. Are your rings, ejector, and extractor springs coated as well?

I'd leave the springs and rings uncoated. They are parts that need to be replaced more often than the carrier or bolt and I doubt you're going to want to have them coated every time you replace them.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

MikeCLeonard
02-12-14, 00:32

I sent the bolt in assembled, so they took it apart...coated it, and put it back together. The gas rings were in fact coated and I think the ejector may be as well...but I haven't taken the bolt apart to see if the extractor springs where done. If I remember correctly, they don't usually coat very small parts or springs because these parts are more susceptible to the temperatures used when the finish is applied and can possibly deform or lose their proper factory heat-treatment.

evi1joe
02-12-14, 02:09
I was hoping that IonBond wouldn't sling the oil off as bad as NiB.
Where are you sending your carrier and bolt off to for coating?

TMS951
02-12-14, 09:20
I have to ask why? I would much rather chrome or nickel boron. Why ion bond?, my experience has left me less than impressed by it

As it turns out my experience is with 'black oxide' not ion bond. My experience with black oxide is it rubs right off, had Lonewolf do a slide for me, the durability of it is worse than spray paint.

R.O.U.S.
02-12-14, 10:41
I've handled ionbonded luxury items like watches, and William McHenry knives. I think the ionbonded portion has a extremely high rockwell hardness. It's a great finish, looks good, and wears very evenly.

BufordTJustice
02-12-14, 13:30
The Precision Armament AFAB mini is IonBond coated.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?144628-Precision-Armament-AFAB-Mini-Flash-Hider-Compensator/page10

Laust
02-12-14, 16:13
From everything i've read, Ionbond treatment doesn't effect small parts like, say the way melonite does because of the low temperatures of the process.

Obscenejesster
02-12-14, 16:30
How does Ion Bond compare to Titanium Nitride?

TMS951
02-13-14, 16:17
How does Ion Bond compare to Titanium Nitride?

Both are applied by the same PVD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition process, but they use different materials.

TiN is titanium nitrite, where as Ion Bond is carbon http://www.ionbond.com/en/coating-services/decorative/luxury/diamondblacktm-adlc/

I would think TiN would offer more than does the DLC.

tom12.7
02-13-14, 20:48
I've had some Ion Bond DLC stuff done. Pretty tough finish. It's only a thin finish though, it won't fix anything really. It seems to stick to hard chrome very well, hard to chip it.