PDA

View Full Version : Carrying handgun with a backpack that needs a waist belt.

CJGarza
02-11-14, 18:32
I've searched the forum and have found no information or advice on this.

I normally use a Mystery Ranch 3DAP. And normally do not need the belt and just leave it tucked in. I've just recently gotten a larger pack to carry larger loads, but in order to take advantage of the suspension system my normal mode of off duty carry is IWB. Since I don't want to attract too much attention, I'd prefer bit to have my handgun in so obvious a place as on the belt. Other than some kind if chest carry method, is there another option?

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosseyedshooter
02-11-14, 19:12
If you're carrying a larger backpack and wearing cargo pants/shorts, is pocket carry an option?

jhs1969
02-11-14, 19:22
shoulder holster

CJGarza
02-11-14, 19:37
Yes I normally wear cargo pants, but wouldn't pocket carry limit my gun to a small .380?

As for a shoulder holster, wouldn't the shoulder straps of the pack get in the way of the shoulder holster and therefore the pistol?

lunchbox
02-11-14, 19:49
I know you said you wanted to avoid chest carry, but Hill people gear is prob best bet. Their bags are of very nice quality and carry a pistol, mags, light, and depending on bag much more. All that in a half way discreet good quality bag, can't beat it. Just sayin..

jhs1969
02-11-14, 19:55
No, when I have had to do this I wear and under/t-shirt, my shoulder rig, an outer shirt and then the back pack. Can remove the back pack at any time and not affect the shoulder carry. Draw is not affected either.

Wreckingball911
02-11-14, 19:56
http://www.rei.com/product/782056/osprey-grab-bag-accessory-pocket

I have not personally used it and cannot attest to the size but this is a response to the same question I saw on another forum. I'll be getting one to carry a g26 soon.

jhs1969
02-11-14, 20:01
Yes, fanny pack carry is another option. I have that covered as well.

Packeagle
02-11-14, 20:07
If you want concealed I'd suggest pocket carry, fanny pack carry, or the Hills people chest pack.

Open carry I would think a Safariland Drop ULB or a drop leg would do the trick clearing the belt. The drop ULB would be my choice of these two options.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

MegademiC
02-11-14, 21:03
Ok, for educational purposes, why can't you carry iwb?

Wake27
02-11-14, 21:06
If you want concealed I'd suggest pocket carry, fanny pack carry, or the Hills people chest pack.

Open carry I would think a Safariland Drop ULB or a drop leg would do the trick clearing the belt. The drop ULB would be my choice of these two options.

What's the farthest you've ever walked with a drop leg?

OP - I thought this topic had already been posted here, but maybe I saw it on LF. Either way, the consensus was definitely a bag from Hill People Gear. Different, but there is no better way I can conceive carrying.

CJGarza
02-11-14, 21:12
The hills people carry looks pretty good actually. It will actually allow for carry while jogging. A bit pricey, but quality gear isn't cheap.

I can't carry iwb because the waist belt for my pack is too large. While I can carry the gun, with the belt in place, getting to my pistol would be clumsy to say the least.

Packeagle
02-11-14, 21:16
What's the farthest you've ever walked with a drop leg?

OP - I thought this topic had already been posted here, but maybe I saw it on LF. Either way, the consensus was definitely a bag from Hill People Gear. Different, but there is no better way I can conceive carrying.

2x 10 mile days. It isn't all that fun. That's why i suggested the drop ULB first. It should be fairly stable as its just a low ride duty holster.

Wake27
02-11-14, 21:50
2x 10 mile days. It isn't all that fun. That's why i suggested the drop ULB first. It should be fairly stable as its just a low ride duty holster.

Wow. I think I ran like 100m before deciding I didn't want to go any further with one haha.

lunchbox
02-11-14, 22:06
The hills people carry looks pretty good actually. It will actually allow for carry while jogging. A bit pricey, but quality gear isn't cheap.

I can't carry iwb because the waist belt for my pack is too large. While I can carry the gun, with the belt in place, getting to my pistol would be clumsy to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPrice put me off for little while, but all doubts went away after putting my hands on bag. Hiking, hunting, kayaking/fishing, outdoors in general, is what this pack is all about. Also have to mention customer service is top notch.

ChaseN
02-11-14, 22:35
+1 for HPG, I have their runner's/snubby size bag and it works great. Just enough room for a G19 in the main pocket and my ID and CCW in the outer pocket. I use a Raven VG2 tied to the loop inside the bag for a bit of extra trigger protection.

jsbcody
02-12-14, 00:52
Another BIG +1 for Hill People Gear. I carry my Glock 17 with a couple mags, light, wallet, cell phone and other stuff all the time now. Once a week I try to do an 2 to 5 mile rucksack walk (depending on weather) and it has worked great for that. I have the Recon and also got a stabilizer strap for it.

SomeGuy
02-12-14, 07:12
Depending on the pack you're using some form of appendix carry may be feasible. Otherwise I'm seconding the shoulder rig. Those chest pouches look great for what they are but they're about as low profile as wearing a "shoot me first" fishing vest.

Voodoo_Man
02-12-14, 08:24
I've seen the Hill People Recon Kit in person, it definitely works the way you think it does.

hatidua
02-12-14, 09:56
Ok, for educational purposes, why can't you carry iwb?

Backpack belts are wide/cushioned and completely cover any access to IWB carry. -and it'd be brutally uncomfortable even if that weren't the case.

remington79
02-12-14, 11:33
I use the regular size kit bag. Not only can you carry your pistol but you can add some survival gear or some stuff you want quick such as a camera or some Cliff Bars.
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/categoryid/9/Default.aspx

Grizzly16
02-12-14, 12:08
Another +1 for the HPG bag. I carry at least a full size M&P, compass, small medkit, mylar blanket, lighter, gps and light poncho in mine. Its been on 100+ miles of hikes or jogs with out a problem.

TheWaker43
02-12-14, 12:21
Yep, another +1 for Hill People Gear. I have a handful of their products and have been more than happy with all of them.

Wreckingball911
02-12-14, 12:44
Yes, fanny pack carry is another option. I have that covered as well.

It's not really fanny pack carry, it is an additional pouch that attaches to the current straps on your pack. So it's almost chest but not quite. A very good alternative to the HPG stuff but at a fraction of the cost and it is osprey so it's good to go.

RMT
02-12-14, 13:49
I have been running an HPG kit bag for over 3 years, generally with a true load barring pack. ie. Kifaru scout, MMR and a host of other HPG packs. It is hands down the best system to carry a handgun and other small stuff while where a pack.

I still run the original and have used the recon and the runners, I still prefer the original. Evan and Scot are a pleasure to be around and I am lucky to call them friends.

remington79
02-12-14, 14:47
Some people just put a holster on the hip belt of their pack. The nice thing about the kit bag is you can leave it on after you take the pack off. That way you can still have your pistol on you around camp.

Grizzly16
02-12-14, 14:54
Some people just put a holster on the hip belt of their pack. The nice thing about the kit bag is you can leave it on after you take the pack off. That way you can still have your pistol on you around camp.

And if you put a shirt in the front pocket it makes a handy pillow.

RMT
02-12-14, 14:57

Or If you just want to ramble sans a pack, I do this when I am out varmint hunting, and it's nice for the range motion to not wear a holster or anything on your hips.