PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a rifle FSP cutout rail?

BrigandTwoFour
02-11-14, 22:14
I'm working on a M16A5 project. The more I practice with dedicated irons, the more I've come to really appreciate them, and think they would work great for a 20" government upper used to teach new shooters. Plastic handguards are fine for now, but I'm looking into the future when I may want to free float.

Has anyone seen a full length rifle FSP cutout rail? I know Samson has one, but I'm thinking more traditional looking like the Centurion C4. I know a regular 12" will fit behind the FSP, but part of me just wants to go ahead and cover up the bayo lug and old sling swivel.

EW1066
02-11-14, 22:39
If your looking to teach new shooters, I would suggest that a full quad rail may be less comfortable. I honestly think that any narrower tubes would be better for a beginner. I personally have a Samson rail (not the cut out) and I can tell you that they are quite comfortable to hold.

E-DUB

SilverBullet432
02-11-14, 23:00
deleted. Op specified rifle length

carolvs
02-12-14, 02:23
I've been working on a 20" build for a while now and I haven't seen anything like that yet, and I'm a bit dizzy from looking at a myriad rail options. At this point I've decided that once the 20" is complete then I'll do a Block II SOPMOD build that will use an RIS II.

BrigandTwoFour
02-12-14, 06:41
If your looking to teach new shooters, I would suggest that a full quad rail may be less comfortable. I honestly think that any narrower tubes would be better for a beginner. I personally have a Samson rail (not the cut out) and I can tell you that they are quite comfortable to hold.

E-DUB

It's true that MOE rifle handguards would probably be more comfortable and less intimidating to new shooters, and I plan to use them for a long time. But I also plan on using the 20" upper as a practice rifle for various iron sight competitions where I live, and I tend to wrench down on 1917 style slings pretty good- enough that it will affect POI without some kind of free float mechanism.

I already run a Samson/Rainier evolution on another gun, and I like it a lot. Just not sure if that's the way I wanted to go for a full length rifle tube.

markm
02-12-14, 07:43
I hate tubes. They feel tiny and gay... yuck. Plumbing supplies don't go on any of my guns...

I don't like an excessively fat hanguard either. KAC profile with panals on is about perfect to me. I'd just get a 12.0 and forget trying to cover the bayo stud. I'm not even sure who makes a good shaped 12.0. I'd say LaRue, but his mounting system is 10 years out of date. I got a deal on one a year ago, and after installing all kinds of modern rails.... it really sucked.

Perhaps a 12.0 DD RIS. Those RIS have a great profile. They're just a little pricey.

justin_247
02-12-14, 10:40
I hate tubes. They feel tiny and gay... yuck. Plumbing supplies don't go on any of my guns...

I don't like an excessively fat hanguard either. KAC profile with panals on is about perfect to me. I'd just get a 12.0 and forget trying to cover the bayo stud. I'm not even sure who makes a good shaped 12.0. I'd say LaRue, but his mounting system is 10 years out of date. I got a deal on one a year ago, and after installing all kinds of modern rails.... it really sucked.

Perhaps a 12.0 DD RIS. Those RIS have a great profile. They're just a little pricey.

The new Daniel Defense Lite Rail III / new DDM4 rail - I have one and it's awesome. The 12" fits perfectly behind the FSP on a 20" upper and the profile is almost identical to LaRue's. It's more round and nothing like the old Lite, M4, and Omega rails, which are like holding I-beams, and they're skinner than the RIS II rails.

DIMENSIONS FOR COMPARISON:
LaRue - 2.2" x 2.22"
DDM4/Lite III - 1.9" x 2.165"
DD RIS II - 2.22" x 2.23"