PDA

View Full Version : Mushy safety on new Colt 6920

Opie
02-12-14, 00:14
UPDATE- 2/14- removed the safety lever. When the detent came out there were very small shavings/debris that came with it. I cleaned everything up and reassembled. The safety has a positive click and works properly. Looks like no damage to the parts so all is good.

Pulled the trigger on a new 6920. It came with a Magpul BUIS, no front side sling swivel, and the newly discontinued Super Stock which I don't have an opinion on yet. I think I would be just as happy with the current gen Colt M4 stock over this Super Stock.

Out of the box the safety is very mushy with no positive click. I will probably start with a new detent and spring, then look for a new safety switch if that does not fix it. I will post my upcoming experience with Colt customer service once I get this ball rolling. Kinda disappointed this was not caught before it left the factory.

p22shooter30
02-12-14, 09:25
im pretty sure you should have contacted customer service first and then posted their response on here instead of the other way around

markm
02-12-14, 09:28
This happens every so often to anyone who put ARs together. It has to be really bad before I'll take the time to start changing parts.

Opie
02-12-14, 09:29
I disagree, this is something that should have been addressed before it left the factory. The fix will be from customer service, the problem is a quality control issue.

Outlander Systems
02-12-14, 09:42
Most likely it is the grooves in the selector itself.

You can order a new selector from a reputable place, pop that one out, and proceed to party.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on it.

Duffy
02-12-14, 10:31
I posted this on TOS a while ago, it's now posted in our forum on m4c as well :)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147549-Troubleshooting-your-selector

Outlander Systems
02-12-14, 10:40
I posted this on TOS a while ago, it's now posted in our forum on m4c as well :)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147549-Troubleshooting-your-selector

Duffy is dead on.

That being said, turn a lemon into lemonade by upgrading to a BAD Selector.

You will NOT be disappointed.

I had a very similar problem about five years ago:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?38394-Spongy-Selector

New selector solved the issue. Get the BAD ambi-switch and never look back.

SteveL
02-12-14, 11:01
Do yourself and put in a BAD safety from the get-go.

davidjinks
02-12-14, 19:11
Did you inspect the rifle prior to leaving the gun shop?

Break the rifle down. Do a complete cleaning of the lower. Pay close attention to the safety selector. Personally I would pull the grip, spring, detent and selector. I would make sure that there is no excessive lubricant in the spring/detent channel. Check spring length and check detent shape. Check to make sure the safety selector isn't boogered up.

-The reason I suggest this; the last 2 Colt's I purchased (# 6 and 7) were saturated in lubricant. I mean dripping from the lower and upper right out of the bag. The spring/detent channels on both of the Colts (SP and LE 6920) were so gunked up I had to use carb cleaner, pipe cleaners and air. After a thorough cleaning, the safeties worked as they should with a positive click on/off.

Just pulled the trigger on a new 6920. It came with a Magpul BUIS, no front side sling swivel, and the newly discontinued Super Stock which I don't have an opinion on yet. I think I would be just as happy with the current gen Colt M4 stock over this Super Stock.

Out of the box the safety is very mushy with no positive click. I will probably start with a new detent and spring, then look for a new safety switch if that does not fix it. I will post my upcoming experience with Colt customer service once I get this ball rolling. Kinda disappointed this was not caught before it left the factory.

TheyCallMeGmoney
02-12-14, 19:59
im pretty sure you should have contacted customer service first and then posted their response on here instead of the other way around
He means you should follow the rules of the forum and contact the company you are having a problem with to get it resolved before blasting them on the forum.

Do yourself and put in a BAD safety from the get-go.

+1 on BAD saftey, Duffy is the man and will get you what you need and make sure your happy with it, which you will be!

Sparky5019
02-12-14, 20:14
The BAD is great if you want an aftermarket style selector. For a factory style part, CMMG (say what you will) is making really nice machined selectors. Well made part with a high quality finish. Very crisp operation!

rapomstage3
02-13-14, 15:41
Every colt at my local shop feels like this. Longer spring or get a B.a.d. I did.

C4IGrant
02-13-14, 16:03
Just pulled the trigger on a new 6920. It came with a Magpul BUIS, no front side sling swivel, and the newly discontinued Super Stock which I don't have an opinion on yet. I think I would be just as happy with the current gen Colt M4 stock over this Super Stock.

Without seeing it and knowing your knowledge level/experience with AR's it is hard to say where the problem is (if there is even one).

When I find "mushy" selectors, I first look at the selector. Are the indents cleanly machined (no flashing in or around the hole). If that looks good, then I look at the channel that the detent rides in. Does it move freely inside the lower? Is the detent machined properly as well?

C4

High Tower
02-13-14, 19:27
Duffy is dead on.

That being said, turn a lemon into lemonade by upgrading to a BAD Selector.

You will NOT be disappointed.

This. I had a mushy safety on one of my builds and the BAD made it good. I don't think its a huge deal either way, but I prefer the positive click into place. I've yet to get a BAD product I haven't liked.

Obscenejesster
02-14-14, 00:21
Besides the safety being Ambi, is there any other reasons why the BAD selector is better than the stock?

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

JBecker 72
02-14-14, 00:34
I've had this happen recently with a DD parts kit. There was an excess of flashing in the groove on the selector. A quick pass with a small triangular file took care of it.

SteveL
02-14-14, 07:28
Besides the safety being Ambi, is there any other reasons why the BAD selector is better than the stock?

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

IMO it's just a higher quality part. It's also ambidextrous, you get your choice of lever configuration, and you can opt for a short throw model. Just be aware that the ST model is more expensive and has a nub on it. If your receiver doesn't have a notch for the nub you can grind the nub off but that voids the warranty on the safety. A lot of people have done it and it works fine, but you have to decide if you're willing to void the warranty on a new part.

Duffy
02-14-14, 07:50
We reworked the detent groove, groove height and angle, shoulder depth, and detent holes. The width between of the center flat is wider than most to accommodate Geissele NM and DMR triggers if the receiver is slightly out of spec (no more modifying the selector, we spoke to Bill about this back in 2010 and made changes based on his recommendation).

Below is a picture of a Geissele DMR sitting on top of our selector, notice the amount of room still left on the selector center's flat.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/DMRtolerance.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/DMRtolerance.jpg.html)

Selectors with two detachable levers existed before we came along. We do things differently, in the way we pay attention to every detail, we make duty grade components (soon complete lowers and uppers) that are user centric. The result of which is we overbuild in strength and quality, and include extras in the kit, this was never an attempt to throw in stuff to justify the price. The detent is important to the operation of the selector, so we include a very good one made by KNS. The screws need to be strong, so we have them custom made for us, two are installed on the selector along with the levers, two extra spares are included as well. The wrench is made by Bondhus that retails for $3.50 + on Amazon. The spring we include also has a reason. When pistol grip's spring hole is too deep and there isn't enough spring tension, you can cut off coils from the spring we provide to use as spacers. If you don't end up using it, you can keep it as a spare, little parts get lost easily.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/1519561_687689514585026_1663471828_o_zpsabb53c05.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/1519561_687689514585026_1663471828_o_zpsabb53c05.jpg.html)

The center and levers have no tool marks. Tool marks have no bearing on function either way, but that is the kind of attention to detail found on not just our selectors, but everything else.

The selectors are fully ambidextrous as designed. They can be converted to left or right lever only selector by replacing a lever with an end cap, and this can be achieved without removing anything else :)

Griz22
02-15-14, 07:33
Strange I just got a 6920 and hear a definitive pop when I flip. Glad you fixed. But today's the 15th not the 16th

Unless you time travel. Which jsantoro may like ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opie
02-15-14, 09:00
Roads? Where we're going, we won't need roads.

Ark1443
02-15-14, 11:10
My 6720's safety is not what I would call mushy, but smooth, but probably is what your experiencing as well. My Daniel Defense has a noticeable click, but the colt does not. So far it has been flawless so I'm not concerned.