PDA

View Full Version : Non-padded rigger or duty-style belt w/ MOLLE attachment

jcgUSMC
02-12-14, 09:33
Hi, I'm looking for a slightly unique belt and haven't had any luck with google.

I'm currently running a drop leg holster on a 2" duty belt, and I'm trying to find a way to keep the drop leg attachment from sliding around on the belt. Keepers aren't working for some reason. I would just get a regular battle-belt type setup and run the attachment around the belt and some of the MOLLE to keep it in place, but one of my tac vests fits low enough that anything thicker or taller than a regular duty belt or rigger's belt binds on the bottom of the vest.

I think the best solution would be something like a 1.75" or 2" duty belt with a row of MOLLE around it. Or if there was someone who could custom sew an "anchor" strip onto my existing belt.

Any thoughts?

Failure2Stop
02-12-14, 09:43
First: What drop-leg rig are you using?

Second: Why are you worried about fitting the belt to the vest? I would go the other way; make sure the vest fits the requirement.
Properly fitted armor should stand pretty clear of the belt-line, if you are worried about a blackhawk zip-up vest compatibility, get a better base platform.

If the item that you think you need doesn't already exist, there just might be a reason.
Then again, those niche items can also be lucrative.

The key thing is to first be sure that you are doing everything else right.

jcgUSMC
02-12-14, 11:25
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your first question, I use a Safariland 6004-style leg rig with a wrap-around velcro strap belt attachment and two leg straps. I prefer a belt mounted holster or the higher-riding leg rig with a single leg strap, but with both of these options I sometimes run into problems due to the low cut of this particular vest.

To answer your second question, it's an agency issued vest (my team has a couple types that we use for different situations). This particular vest is a very full-coverage ballistic SWAT vest. The bottom of the vest reaches just above the belt--enough that in basic standing positions there's no issue, but while moving in non-standard positions it can snag and bind. I recognize that this is a fit problem and I'll be replacing the vest. Unfortunately, due to the budget cycles it looks like that won't happen until spring 2015. So I'm stuck with it for a little over a year. I'm looking for a work-around until then.

GotAmmo
02-12-14, 11:36
I think the best solution would be something like a 1.75" or 2" duty belt with a row of MOLLE around it. Or if there was someone who could custom sew an "anchor" strip onto my existing belt.

Any thoughts?

Tyr Gunfighter ... comes with an inner belt pad that is removable and people who run it with the Safariland Belt loop say the inner pad helps keep the holster in position

Failure2Stop
02-12-14, 11:48
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your first question, I use a Safariland 6004-style leg rig with a wrap-around velcro strap belt attachment and two leg straps. I prefer a belt mounted holster or the higher-riding leg rig with a single leg strap, but with both of these options I sometimes run into problems due to the low cut of this particular vest.

To answer your second question, it's an agency issued vest (my team has a couple types that we use for different situations). This particular vest is a very full-coverage ballistic SWAT vest. The bottom of the vest reaches just above the belt--enough that in basic standing positions there's no issue, but while moving in non-standard positions it can snag and bind. I recognize that this is a fit problem and I'll be replacing the vest. Unfortunately, due to the budget cycles it looks like that won't happen until spring 2015. So I'm stuck with it for a little over a year. I'm looking for a work-around until then.

Gotcha, different issue if it's issued duty gear and not weekend fantasy gear.

Is the belt a traditional external, or threaded through trouser loops? Does the leg strap not have interior hook velcro? Mine do, but mine are probably old enough to vote...

One of the first thing I did to increase stability of 6004 holsters was to turn it into a high-ride. MilitaryMoron(s?) put his mods on his site (http://www.militarymorons.com/faq/faqs.html), and it's pretty much what I did (I'm just dumber). I don't use the quick-clip on mine though, as it makes the holster just a smidge low and mine liked to protrude when not standing upright, which fouled a draw or two, which elicited a litany of curse words, which resulted in my attacking of the buckle with a bayonet, after which I was a happier camper.

Anyway, getting the holster higher on the thigh helps with stability, and you won't need to worry about strangling the twins with the top strap any longer.
On my dedicated rigs I would electrical-tape pouches/straps/etc into position on the belt. Wouldn't work with a thread-through belt, but works on an outer-belt.

Just Prince
02-12-14, 13:07
My Sergeant just uses black athletic tape.

spelingmastir
02-12-14, 21:20
Will this work?:
http://www.skdtac.com/Emdom-MM-CM-Belt-p/e2m.105.htm

Wreckingball911
02-12-14, 21:47
I'm running this... it might get your pistol up too far considering how long your vest is but its still worth looking into.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6004-DFA

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jcgUSMC
02-16-14, 13:10
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into all of them further and figure something out.

msap
02-18-14, 11:17
I wear the TYR Gunfighter belt. I ditched the drop leg and went with the Safariland low ride UBL. It's a match made in heaven. I'll get a pic up in a sec
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee462/sap169/F445C35F-D9B6-478E-B325-95F88F658A5C-2715-0000020F2B955194_zps2d0612d6.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/sap169/media/F445C35F-D9B6-478E-B325-95F88F658A5C-2715-0000020F2B955194_zps2d0612d6.jpg.html)
In the pic I have belt keepers on. I'm now running the TYR belt without belt keepers with no issues.

MH557
02-18-14, 22:28
I just made the switch to the Tyr Gunfighter as well (thanks GotAmmo!) & I'm very happy with it. Still running a 6004 to clear my kit (same issue as the OP) but wear it high with no issues so far. I wear this for 10+hr days and have found it to be comfortable & compact. Definitely worth a look.

Sent from my DX752 using Tapatalk

trackmagic
02-19-14, 17:36
+1 For the emdom CM belt. It almost looks like a normal belt, but the way they added the MOLLE to it is pretty cool in my opinion.

Boy Scout
02-20-14, 10:17
Looks like the Emdom might be a good winner for you, however I'm only seeing them in coyote and "Sewer Green" from SKDTAC. Dunno if you need black for the uniform.

I might end up getting one of those as well!

jcgUSMC
02-24-14, 13:48
FYI for anyone who's interested, I contacetd Emdom and they advised that the CM belt will be back on their website in a week or two.

Wreckingball911
02-28-14, 06:08
Wrong thread...

veovius
03-03-14, 22:00
For what it's worth, I picked up an Ares Gear duty belt and I'm running some Down Range Gear molle adapters (the fold-over kind) on the belt. It seems to work just fine, provided the molle straps fit. The Velcro on the adapters really help to lock them down in place. Nothing moves unless I want it to move.