PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a Mid-length Upper or an LMT upper, have questions

SV650Squid
05-19-08, 21:25
I'm planning on building my 1st AR over the course of the next couple Months (goal finish date is on my birthday in July). However, I want to have a parts list so I'm not rebuying, and I stay in budget. Most of the parts I have are nailed down, but I want to buy a complete 16" upper. I'm not sure which way to go.

How are PK fire arms assembled uppers? They have a Sabre Defence barreled upper they sell that looks nice. Do they stand behind their work?

I've read a lot on CMMG, and people either love them or hate them. I see they have several options on midlength uppers, but the stories I've read about scare me(not returning emails/calls and long wait times).

Last, LMT. It's got a lot of reputation behind it, and I can order from a multitude of online shops. However, I kinda wanted something that was midlength.

On midlength, will I notice a big difference, or should I just say screw it and stick w/ a carbine gas system? The last time I shot a rifle from the AR-15 family was the M16A2 I qualified on in Air Force basic (4 years ago).

I don't know if I'm missing any questions, but I can ask them later I guess.

GaryXD
05-19-08, 22:04
I have a PK assembled Sabre barreled 16" midlength. Of the dozen or more uppers I have owned it is the highest quality of all.

Jay Cunningham
05-20-08, 00:04
I have a PK assembled Sabre barreled 16" midlength. Of the dozen or more uppers I have owned it is the highest quality of all.

+1 mine is absolutely outstanding.

Bimmer
05-20-08, 08:43
I've read a lot on CMMG, and people either love them or hate them. I see they have several options on midlength uppers, but the stories I've read about scare me(not returning emails/calls and long wait times).

I've just ordered a CMMG upper.

The total customer service breakdown that they had earlier this year seems to be largely fixed.

In any case, I made a point of ordering from a dealer who seems to have a direct line to them — dealers offer much better pricing and I'll be getting customer service (should I need it) through the dealer, not CMMG directly.

My 2¢,

Ben

Deadcenter45
05-21-08, 13:54
I went for the 16" LMT Upper. Middy vs. Carbine length does not bother me much, as I made sure to go with a quality BCG by BCM, and a Heavy Buffer.

Thanks to go to Grant for it.

DMark
05-21-08, 14:00
...... I made a point of ordering from a dealer who seems to have a direct line to them — dealers offer much better pricing and I'll be getting customer service (should I need it) through the dealer, not CMMG directly......
Ben,

What dealer did you use?

Thanks,

D. Mark

Bimmer
05-21-08, 14:11
I have nothing to disclose here... I'm not advertising for anybody, I'm just relating my experiences and the results of my limited research.

I got my lower through Peter Hope of Evil-Black-Rifles.com. He's on vacation and not taking orders 'til mid June, so I think I'm going to order my upper from Bryan at AIM Surplus (who quoted me an unbelievable price). I've seen/heard good things about Southern Michigan Arms, too.
All of them discount off CMMG's list prices (only suckers pay retail?), and all of them promptly answer e-mail.
You could search "CMMG" on the EE on arf.com, or poke around CMMG's industry forum there, too.

Ben

DMark
05-21-08, 14:48
Ben,

Thanks.

I'll check with Bryan at AIM since I have been doing business with them on other projects for several years (and they have a file copy of my FFL). :)

D. Mark

C4IGrant
05-21-08, 18:35
For middy chrome lined, I would go with the Noveske N4.

C4