PDA

View Full Version : What's the most reliable DI set up for a 16" rifle?

sprice
02-12-14, 18:11
In this confusing world of crane o-rings and springs, buffer tubes, springs, weights, m4 feed ramp cuts, carbine, rifle, and mid length gas systems... what's the most reliable combination for a 16" barrel rifle with an evil collapsible stock? Assuming it's been made well and everything is staked correctly etc.

I'm guessing a rifle gas system with bolt upgrades and something like a vltor v5 with rifle like buffer parts would be best?

What if it has to be a mid-length?

Steel cased? suppressor? 5.56 vs .223?

Ok here's a related question, my brother is now building a rifle and is starting with a bcm bfh recce upper with bcm bolt, what should we do for the lower? Can we just get a Vltor A5 kit and leave it? Once again we run steel cased exclusively and will use suppressors.

nate89
02-12-14, 18:17
16" is generally regarded as too short to run a rifle-length gas system reliably. I have a 16" BCM middy and it works very well.

wildcard600
02-12-14, 20:02
I have a 16" BCM middy and it works very well.

^^^ This

love my BCM mid length.

mastiffhound
02-12-14, 20:58
From what I've gathered carbine or mid-length are best. I did see some abomination by dpms that looked to be a rifle length gas system on a 16". I've never heard anything but bad about that set-up. Reliability depends on who made it and what type of ammo you use from what I've seen and read. A carbine seems to do better with weak Russian ammo. A middy seems to have a lighter recoil impulse. These aren't rules, plenty of guys have mid-lengths that do fine with Russian ammo. Carbines with heavier buffers can have a lighter recoil impulse too.

It's not all about the gas system length either. My 20" rifle length PSA shoots much softer than my 16" BCM carbine. My PSA did have problems with some old boxes of Wolf though, the same lot went through my BCM without a hitch. Both do well (as far as reliability) with Fed brown box xm193 or xm855. The best advice that I was given is find what ammo your gun likes and buy alot of it, or reload and you can get ammo that cycles great and is also very accurate. I tried the first and eventually went with reloading. I stocked up when components were cheap and can reload for what .223 wolf used to cost. My ammo isn't just reliable, it's also more accurate. I hoped this helped, somebody will probably come by with a better explanation as I'm not a master of the AR or anything.

mauser-nagant
02-12-14, 21:58
If you're looking to go with a rifle length gas system and a collapsable stock, my 0.02 cents will go to an 18" barrel. 14.5" & 16" are pretty awesome with a mid length gas system.

In my 14.5 and 16 carbines, I run a standard carbine spring and h-buffer. What is important is that I use 5.56 nato pressure ammo. Some gas ports such as BCM fine tune to only be efficient with 5.56 ammo.

If using regular ammo (.223 spec), BCM recommends to use a standard CAR buffer.

HTH.

Magic_Salad0892
02-12-14, 22:23
KAC SR-15 gas system, IMO. Maybe with VLTOR A5 and their light buffer if it's out yet.

Either that or carbine receiver extension, H2 buffer, sprinco blue spring, and midlength system. (Keep and mind there's no established standard port size for midlength, so my recommendation only applies to Noveske, BCM, and DD.)

vicious_cb
02-12-14, 23:53
I would be more concerned with who made and assembled the AR than what gas system it uses.

sprice
02-13-14, 00:36
Assuming it's been made well and everything is staked correctly etc.

So would I.

nate89
02-13-14, 00:42
I did see some abomination by dpms that looked to be a rifle length gas system on a 16".

That was probably a dissapator build. They were usually a standard carbine gas system with a low profile gas block. They would then pin a FSP in the rifle position to give you the better sight radius on the shorter barrel. They seem to have lost favor with the newer FF forends and back-up sights.

I have heard that Salient Arms has been working on a 16" barrel with a rifle gas system, although I'm not sure of the reliability yet.

nickdrak
02-13-14, 01:03
Barrel: BCM 16" Midlength
BCG: WMD Guns NibX F/A
Extractor spring: Factory Colt copper extractor spring with D-Fender ring
Buffer tube/Buffer: Vltor A5
Lube: FireClean

3 AE
02-13-14, 01:17
Is there a money limit? Because for a $1000 a Colt 6920 with it's TDP background, track record, versatility, and high degree of reliability, pretty much sets the bar at a high level for those willing to commit to it.

sprice
02-13-14, 01:54
Really I was just wondering about principles and possibilities... In the real world I have a daniel defense v7 and I was wondering what parts I should replace to get more reliability after I break 'em by shooting them out. That will be in years to come though, thus I was just wondering about the operating principles for fine tuning reliability for the Ar. The buffer assembly and bolt/extractor parts are mostly what I'm looking for; I wouldn't change anything other than that but I did wonder about the gas systems so I thought I would throw that out there.

scooter22
02-13-14, 02:03
Really I was just wondering about principles and possibilities... In the real world I have a daniel defense v7 and I was wondering what parts I should replace to get more reliability after I break 'em by shooting them out. That will be in years to come though, thus I was just wondering about the operating principles for fine tuning reliability for the Ar. The buffer assembly and bolt/extractor parts are mostly what I'm looking for; I wouldn't change anything other than that but I did wonder about the gas systems so I thought I would throw that out there.

I honestly don't think you need to upgrade anything. Research the Vltor A5 system if anything.

3 AE
02-13-14, 03:29
You have a DD carbine. It's already fine tuned for reliability. You can maintain that reliability by following these simple steps.
1. Buy quality 5.56x45 ammunition in quantity and use it a lot.
2. Buy quality magazines in quantity and use them a lot.
3. Buy quality lubricant in quantity and use it a lot.

You will avoid numerous pitfalls if you adhere to the previous steps. Really, no bullshit! Add a spare DD bolt assembly, a few BCM Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kits, and some carbine buffer springs, and you're on your way to Nirvana. Really, no bullshit! :cool:

Tigereye
02-13-14, 05:45
You have a DD carbine. It's already fine tuned for reliability. You can maintain that reliability by following these simple steps.

You will avoid numerous pitfalls if you adhere to the previous steps. Really, no bullshit! Add a spare DD bolt assembly, a few BCM Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kits, and some carbine buffer springs, and you're on your way to Nirvana. Really, no bullshit! :cool:

^^This
I would also get a quality LPK from DD, BCM, or Grant. The answers seem so simple because you started with a good rifle.

Tzook
02-13-14, 06:27
The KAC gas system is definitely the smoothest

markm
02-13-14, 12:07
It's ALL about that little gas port in the barrel. Get that right for the system, be it middy or carbean, and you'll have a trouble free weapon.

I used to think the 16" with carbean was just a bad idea. But when retards don't over ream that gas port, the gun can run as reliably as a rifle.

An A5 or Rifle buffer system is icing on the reliability cake.

GTF425
02-13-14, 12:28
Reliable? Carbine length with an H2 buffer. Over gassed as all hell but it will run every ammo type. My previous SR-15 was unreliable as **** and choked up on .223 pressure ammo frequently enough to make me sell it.

The A5 buffers and middy gas systems are great. I personally run a 16" mid length with a standard spring/H2 and have had no malfunctions over 4,600 rounds and the bolt has locked back every time. I'd like to try an A5, but I don't see the need given how well the rifle shoots as is.

GTF425
02-13-14, 12:30

This.

Change your buffer spring, extractor+spring/insert every 5,000 rounds and it'll just keep running.

JBecker 72
02-13-14, 13:04
I've had great luck with both BCM and Colt 16" carbine gas barrels using M193 or M855 and an H buffer. I've also had 2 16" BCM middies that ran awesome, but I don't own them anymore. Just 14.5" and 16" carbines currently.

jmoney
02-13-14, 15:49
If you're looking to go with a rifle length gas system and a collapsable stock, my 0.02 cents will go to an 18" barrel. 14.5" & 16" are pretty awesome with a mid length gas system.

In my 14.5 and 16 carbines, I run a standard carbine spring and h-buffer. What is important is that I use 5.56 nato pressure ammo. Some gas ports such as BCM fine tune to only be efficient with 5.56 ammo.

If using regular ammo (.223 spec), BCM recommends to use a standard CAR buffer.

HTH.

I have a ddm4v1LW and I have found this to be the same. I can shoot other .223, but I know if I have full powered 556 the rifle always goes bang.

Dino11
02-13-14, 19:57
I run a 16" middy with a Sprinco white spring and a Guntech buffer, 4.4 oz. buffer. It comes in between an H and H2 buffer. With a full auto BCG.
Rifle runs very smooth.
Every rifle is going to be different, you just need to find the sweet spot that your rifle and you can live with.
Mine throws brass into a small area obout 18"X18" at the 3:30 position. can't ask for a better ejection with the 5.56 I normally shoot. When I run 223 it is at about 4:00 and is the same little pile of brass.
Very happy with this gun. Has not missed a single round yet to date. I better knock on wood, I just bought a NiB bolt for it I want to try.

MegademiC
02-13-14, 22:07
GENERALLY, a midlength.

However, as others have stated, its a combo of gas system, port size, action spring and buffer weights.

#1 importance is a well made gun - you want the port size to "match" the system. If you have issues adjust the buffers as needed IMO.

I think carbine system is good if done properly, but 55 companies made "m4"s and 4 made them well so now they have a bad reputation.

RogerinTPA
02-13-14, 23:41
It's ALL about that little gas port in the barrel. Get that right for the system, be it middy or carbean, and you'll have a trouble free weapon.

I used to think the 16" with carbean was just a bad idea. But when retards don't over ream that gas port, the gun can run as reliably as a rifle.

A5 or Rifle buffer system is icing on the reliability cake.

Agreed MarkM.

OP, what you have is GTG. I have 3 carbine and 2 midlengths. They all run just fine. I run H2s and blue springco springs in all. You may want to consider an upgrade after you've shot your gun for a while. You should be GTG to the 5-8K round count with original springs and things. Upgrades to what I've stated, is also the cheaper route to go, but not necessary. The A5 is the cat's ass as far as the best buffer & spring combo out there, until of course, something better comes along.

sprice
02-14-14, 19:11
Ok here's a related question, my brother is now building a rifle and is starting with a bcm bfh recce upper with bcm bolt, what should we do for the lower? Can we just get a Vltor A5 kit and leave it?

MSparks909
02-14-14, 21:41
Ok here's a related question, my brother is now building a rifle and is starting with a bcm bfh recce upper with bcm bolt, what should we do for the lower? Can we just get a Vltor A5 kit and leave it?

Yes. You can play around with the different A5 buffers if you like but the standard will probably run great. I'm running a Sprinco Blue + H2 in my 16" DD middy. .223 feels like mouse farts and 5.56 feels like .223 did with my old H buffer + regular carbine spring.