PDA

View Full Version : Newport News VA

_Stormin_
02-12-14, 20:51
So, it looks like a job opportunity for my fiancé is going to send us to Newport News, VA. Before I give the nod to the whole plan, I wanted to ask what everyone thinks of VA, and the Newport News area?

Places to shoot? Places to live?

Places to avoid?

Any and all feedback is welcome. I can see from a run through of the MidSouth forum that I'm already going to love finally being able to have an SBR (farewell to WA and their ridiculous prohibition)... What else can I look forward to or should I look out for.

Not looking forward to a personal income tax, but I guess that I will get to write it off on my Fed taxes, so all is not lost there.

JBecker 72
02-12-14, 20:55
It's hot, it's humid, there are lots of bugs, and it's harder to get good food and beer compared to the PNW. But VA is pretty nice overall. Newport News is like any place, there are good and bad spots, but it's nice overall. You will be very close to some nice beaches as well in VA and NC. There are also some very nice shooting facilities in the VA Beach area, as well as Hampton. Been a while since I was down there other than just passing through though.

coil
02-12-14, 21:29
I lived and worked in the Hampton Roads area for 12 years before I escaped. I left in 07 so my info is a little old but I would avoid the east end it was pretty dangerous. The west end and Hampton aren't bad, and the weather is terrible

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Wake27
02-12-14, 21:42
Hampton is worse than NN. There are 3 precincts for NN, the further north (away from Norfolk), the safer the area. Downtown is a rough spot - if its there, I'd avoid it. I believe where I am is in the central district, right by CNU. There are some decent parts mixed in with some rougher looking parts, and one very nice area (right on the James River, again near CNU). Of the rough parts, I have been here for 4.5 years and never had a problem. Again, the more central or north, the better. VA's gun laws are pretty solid, though our new Democrat governor will probably do what he can to limit our freedoms. I moved here from San Diego, and hated it initially, mostly because I thought the drivers were slow and stupid and the roads were confusing. I have come to love it though, the history is great and the people for the most part are as well - much better than the assholes in CA. For shooting, NN doesn't have a whole lot. If you're military, that gets you access to Camp Allen - nothing special but a decent option. VA Beach has C2 Shooting Center which is supposedly very nice, but at least an hour away (closer to 1.5 I think). Your best bet is Lafayette Gun Club. Private, and not accepting applications last I heard but I'm leaving in a few months so maybe they'd let us switch or something. It has its own pros and cons I can go into if interested, but do check out their site. Oh, and you are within about 3-4 hours (at most) of a shit ton of training from all of the big names.

_Stormin_
02-13-14, 21:03
I do like the concept of being close to more training than I have here in the PNW. I am flying out there next week to look at houses and figure out what/where.

The concept of not having a range close by (even in downtown Seattle I am less than a half hour from four right now) absolutely sucks. I will have to appreciate range time more I guess.

Interesting to hear about neighborhoods being good/bad. Definitely will have two stamps for SBRs applied for the moment I am officially a resident. Had to laugh about needing to show "legal presence" to get an ID. The concept of having to prove you're legally in the country would cause my neighbors to recoil in horror at the implicit racism. Made me smile.

Wake27
02-13-14, 21:15
I do like the concept of being close to more training than I have here in the PNW. I am flying out there next week to look at houses and figure out what/where.

The concept of not having a range close by (even in downtown Seattle I am less than a half hour from four right now) absolutely sucks. I will have to appreciate range time more I guess.

Interesting to hear about neighborhoods being good/bad. Definitely will have two stamps for SBRs applied for the moment I am officially a resident. Had to laugh about needing to show "legal presence" to get an ID. The concept of having to prove you're legally in the country would cause my neighbors to recoil in horror at the implicit racism. Made me smile.

Mind sharing where she'll be working or general area?

_Stormin_
02-13-14, 21:16
Newport News? I know that where her company's offices are located.

Don't know where in the city. Never been before.

Wake27
02-13-14, 21:18
Newport News.

I meant more specific, if you know. Like I said, some nicer areas are mixed in with some not as nice areas so I was just curious.

_Stormin_
02-13-14, 21:21
Ah. Sent you a PM with a pic of the map. I am completely unaware of the area.

chrismartin
02-13-14, 21:33
I meant more specific, if you know. Like I said, some nicer areas are mixed in with some not as nice areas so I was just curious.

Look for a place to live in York county or Poquoson, maybe Newport News towards Williamsburg.
Other places would be across the James river bridge (Suffolk, Isle of Wight county, etc). More rural out there, and a longer commute, but worth it to some.
Areas of hampton are ok, but the good places will be just as far away from Newport News as Suffolk and York.

Lafayette gun club is in York county and is great if you can get in (24x7 indoor range)

LoveAR
02-13-14, 21:42
Colonial Shooting Academy just opened a range in VB.

Wake27
02-13-14, 21:53
Look for a place to live in York county or Poquoson, maybe Newport News towards Williamsburg.
Other places would be across the James river bridge (Suffolk, Isle of Wight county, etc). More rural out there, and a longer commute, but worth it to some.
Areas of hampton are ok, but the good places will be just as far away from Newport News as Suffolk and York.

Lafayette gun club is in York county and is great if you can get in (24x7 indoor range)

Good points, though I wouldn't say LGC is great. Its good, but expensive (IMO) and some of the rules suck.

Colonial Shooting Academy just opened a range in VB.

I forgot all about that - they're not opened yet, but soon I think. OP, that's about 45 minutes from NN, as long as the tunnel isn't backed up.

bjxds
02-13-14, 22:10
I could check with my son on specific areas to avoid , when he returns from deployment, he is stationed there. When are you planning on visiting/moving?

VA is Big on 2nd amendment rights.... although that is a never ending battle, and there are some good schools and job opportunities, but that's the reason you are going there, right?

I don't have any specific areas for you, just an overview of the area. Well it aint always Hot N Humid, cold and lots of snow right now. Close to a lot of good fishing too, Bass and saltwater if that interests you. Not far from Nags Head NC Beaches and Fredericksburg civil war battlefields. I wouldn't worry about places to shoot/ranges/training facilities. I am sure you know, but lots of military. BUT Traffic sucks ASS, especially in the summer time, you have not only the base traffic to deal with, but the VA beach, Williamsburg and Busch Gardens as well. But traffic in the entire VA beach/Hampton roads to Baltimore area traffic Sucks ASS!

Definitely check specific areas, because there are some that are Big time GHETTO areas! AI/Vick mentality, That are was there stomping grounds! I am sure there were lots of good people that came from there as well.

Good Luck

sl4mdaddy
02-14-14, 07:40
Depending upon where in NN the squeeze will be working, New Kent may be an option if you don't mind being out in the sticks a little.
It takes me about 25-30 minutes to get to Costco. (Jefferson Ave near Int. 64)

During the summer time, well...that's a different story. Traffic on 64 sucks ballz Friday through Sunday.

RGoose
02-14-14, 08:23
Like others have said, there are nice and bad places everywhere. However, (when I worked in Newport News) I found a greater concentration of "nice places to live" closer to the Williamsburg area. The weather can really suck at times (hot and HUMID to cold and humid). Traffic also sucks, especially at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (HRBT). So if working on the peninsula (Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, etc) it's best to live on the peninsula and not the south side (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth...) the commute can really suck. The exception is north Suffolk; not too bad from there and you avoid the HRBT. C2 has a really nice facility out in the sticks of Virginia Beach, but ALL rifles must be shot from either the sitting or prone position (on the public range) thanks to some assholes ruining it for everyone else. They do rental ranges where that does not apply. You also have Academi (formerly Blackwater) which is not too far away either.

_Stormin_
02-14-14, 18:55
Got some feedback from Wake, and the the lady is in a good spot for work. North west of the city, and apparently there are some good residential spots out there too.

I fly out next Friday and I'll spend the weekend finding something to buy. I'm fine being out of the city a bit if it means a nicer neighborhood.

_Stormin_
02-14-14, 21:22
This also just came to mind...

Good armorers in the area? I can assemble a lower any day, but anything like pinning and welding a FH is a bit beyond my scope.

Wake27
02-14-14, 21:43
I don't know of any, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richiecotite
02-15-14, 20:58
Is sharpshooters on industrial drive not open anymore? It's been a few yrs since I lived there, but you could shoot rifle and they have pretty competitive pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Wake27
02-15-14, 21:40
Its called the Marksman, and last I heard its only pistol with pretty high pricing for such a shitty range.

the 556 guy
02-15-14, 21:53
That was my home from 1970-2006. CNU area is good. Stay away from denbigh. Many areas are good, but next to bad ones. Lee hall, just north of denbigh is good

tb-av
02-16-14, 00:04

That...

It's a strange area to try to describe to someone. If you go out driving for a day, and you probably should. Get on I64 and go west that will run you up through Williamsburg. At least go to rt 30 and turn Rt and go to West Point... stop in at Diggs and get a deviled crab and cheese on an english muffin. then keep going and take a right on 17. that will run you down through the rural areas and put you back in Yorktown. After that go east down I64 and over to Norfolk then down to Northampton Blvd and head towards Lynhaven then on around to Shore Dr and then you can come back up 264 to 664 and through the portsmouth tunnel and back into Hampton. That's quite a long affair and I would do it on two days, but along the way just make some stops and pick up some of those Home for Sale magazines. Unless you are Military and have a friend with a Helicopter... that would be nice.....

You will think you have been in two different worlds. It's really different and you kinda need to see it and experience it(drive it). Don't speed in James City co and don't get lost in downtown Norfolk. Welcome to VA.. you are going to just loooooooove Tim Kaine. He loves your guns too!

I don't know about down that way but up here near Kings Dominion.. .there is company that works on ARs and does engraving and all that.... It would be a day trip for you but not huge ordeal. I can 't recall their name but if you search for engravers. You mentioned some sort work you wanted done.

Or find those guys in West Point... I can never remember what the name of the place is.. I'm sure they know everyone... they are on the forum here somewhere. the training facility. They have one in west point and I think one in TX? They are bound to know everyone in the region. ETA: these guys..... they will be in your backyard .... http://www.g4siti.com/index.php

tb-av
02-16-14, 00:15
I fly out next Friday and I'll spend the weekend finding something to buy. I'm fine being out of the city a bit if it means a nicer neighborhood.

If you want to in the middle of it and a nice place... have you heard of Kingsmill on the James? $200 - $2M. You might want to google that one. that's the big resort, golf, residential, backs to busch gardens, fronts on James river, if you are talking about raise a family, play, go shopping nice,.... that's nice.

the other side of nice down that way,,, for me anyway would be a place on the river or maybe some acreage.... it really depends on what type lifestyle you want.

the 556 guy
02-16-14, 16:49
The Lafayette Gun club in York County is really good club. A 24 hour indoor pistol range, and rifle range too. At a very reasonable rate.

The Hampton roads bridge tunnel is hell to navigate at morning and evening rush hours, so don't plan on making that trip without a 30-90 minute slop time for traffic. So Norfolk would be a problem if you're working in Newport News.

The James river bridge is not usually a problem at all, and the newer monitor Merrimac bridge tunnel was not that bad ever when I left.

Wake27
02-16-14, 17:18
The Lafayette Gun club in York County is really good club. A 24 hour indoor pistol range, and rifle range too. At a very reasonable rate.

The Hampton roads bridge tunnel is hell to navigate at morning and evening rush hours, so don't plan on making that trip without a 30-90 minute slop time for traffic. So Norfolk would be a problem if you're working in Newport News.

The James river bridge is not usually a problem at all, and the newer monitor Merrimac bridge tunnel was not that bad ever when I left.

The rate is pretty high IMO, especially if you're just signing on for a year. It was something like $400 for new member fees and than an additional 200-300 for yearly dues. Its awesome having a 24 hour pistol range, but the RO schedule for the rifle ranges are volunteer and can be unreliable. Also the fact that they don't allow and steel cased ammo really sucks with ammo situation of the last year. Their restrictions on using a holster are also too strict, especially since they only offer the "certification" 1 day a month - always on the same day at the same time. Not a whole lot of offering.

_Stormin_
02-16-14, 18:33
Also the fact that they don't allow and steel cased ammo really sucks with ammo situation of the last year.

Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I don't even have any steel cased ammo left, but I can't say I'd jump up in support of stupid rules. Especially with my dollars.

Do they provide a reason for their restriction?

Wake27
02-16-14, 20:42
Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I don't even have any steel cased ammo left, but I can't say I'd jump up in support of stupid rules. Especially with my dollars.

Do they provide a reason for their restriction?

Has something to do with them having a bi-metal jacket and their no steel core ammo allowed. Not that its the same thing but apparently they don't care. That was the one that really pissed me off.

_Stormin_
02-16-14, 23:02
It's looking like driving an hour or more to C2 south of VA Beach is going to be my best bet for long range rifle... I'll admit, I'm shocked at the limited number of ranges.

Wake27
02-17-14, 07:50
Once the new Colonial Shooting Academy opens up that will give you a closer option. It won't be a whole lot closer, but I think it'll knock off like half an hour. Looks like it'll be an awesome range too. We are kind of limited on options here, really makes me wish I knew someone with some land in the area.

_Stormin_
02-22-14, 11:54
Alright. Two days in and I have come to a few conclusions.

Housing here is cheaper than I expected. I guess Seattle's prices got me used to paying a lot. Whatever we buy, it will cost less than what I'm used to paying. That's for certain.

There are some really nice neighborhoods tucked into some less nice looking places.

Williamsburg, specifically Holly Hills is the front runner, but we have two days left to go. Today we are checking out some stuff on the water in Hampton.

The drivers here are terrible. Honestly, I have no clue how they possess valid licenses...

tb-av
02-22-14, 15:50
It would be a bit of a drive but have your agent look up.....
259 Churchill RD Hartfield VA... it sits on point on the Piankatank River ( pee - ank - uh - tank )

========
Not on water but closer and has a nice pool...This is a really nice looking place....
8212 WRENFIELD DR Toano, VA --- west side of WBurg

4040 Rosewell Plantation Rd
Glousceter VA --- Waterfront has finished basement -- looks like a small cape but its 5000sf

102 Rileys Place
Wburg --- 4 sides brick 5200sf and a huge det garage / man cave / one boat door / brick fireplace /

Wake27
02-22-14, 21:37
Did you look at the area on the James next to CNU and the Lion's Gate Bridge? That's probably the best area around IMO. Oh and yeah, VA drivers suck. I miss CA drivers haha.

_Stormin_
02-22-14, 23:27
Apparently we are checking out Ghent tomorrow. (Not my call... Fiancé loves the townhomes that we drove past, and wants to see what is for sale.) Also driving out to VA Beach. That area may lose on commute, but it sure is pretty. I guess I have to get used to NAS Oceana, if the waterfront there is the winner. Saw some stuff today that really was impressive, but then noticed the F18s on approach and I have to assume that's a regular thing living right on the beach. Parking was an MF'er.

At this point, there are almost too many options. I really didn't think that there would be this much that worked for our budget and taste. All of the brick stuff has my lady just swooning, and the prices make my numbers oriented brain beyond happy...

_Stormin_
02-22-14, 23:33
Did you look at the area on the James next to CNU and the Lion's Gate Bridge? That's probably the best area around IMO. Oh and yeah, VA drivers suck. I miss CA drivers.

You mean just north of the 17 bridge and west of Warwick Blvd (my NWSE directions may be off, but to me the peninsula runs North/South)? Looked at one place that was listed for sale and I do believe that the owner was a bit out of the right frame of mind... By our math they were $70k over average for their features and location. Kitchen was amazing, but that only gets you so far... If it's going to cost me a new car difference in price I better walk in and need to pick my jaw up off the floor...

Wake27
02-23-14, 09:18
You mean just north of the 17 bridge and west of Warwick Blvd (my NWSE directions may be off, but to me the peninsula runs North/South)? Looked at one place that was listed for sale and I do believe that the owner was a bit out of the right frame of mind... By our math they were $70k over average for their features and location. Kitchen was amazing, but that only gets you so far... If it's going to cost me a new car difference in price I better walk in and need to pick my jaw up off the floor...

Yeah that's the area. I know the houses right on the water there are crazy expensive, but that whole area seems pretty nice and I figured there would be some cheaper ones. Some things to keep in mind about VA beach: huge tourist destination in the summer (and it attracts ALL kinds of people) and a 45 minute to an hour commute will very easily turn into a 3 hour commute when the tunnel gets backed up.

the 556 guy
02-23-14, 10:00
I second the area around the lions bridge. Very nice neighborhood. Country club area.

Another nice one is hide wood, on the James river side of Warwick blvd.

Gentleart
03-13-14, 15:35
Stormin, did you decide on an area? I grew up in Newport News, 26 years. Like everyone has said, it has it's good and it's bad, but for the most part its a decent city. East end is high crime, and parts of Denbigh are high crime. I'd try to avoid most of the Warwick Blvd side of Newport News, Jefferson Avenue on the west bound side, and towards York is usually decent. Like some have said, the area around Mariner's Museum is very nice, which is on the Warwick side, but it's nice. AVOID Colony off Warwick. I moved out to Hayes (Gloucester point) and like it quite a bit, there is actually a house for sale in my neighborhood (pm if you actually want details). York County, Poquoson, Most of James City County (Williamsburg) are great. IMO Hampton is a poophole =/.

Ranges; none on this side of the water worth their salt. The Marksman is crap and over priced, LGC is decent but over priced and depending on the day, Nazi (rules; I understand gun safety, but some of it's over the top). Oceana has a fantastic Skeet range, I've heard good things about C2 Shooting range as well (never have been) and they are in driving distance, but a commute (45ish minutes +)

If you have any specific questions about the areas feel free to PM me, I've lived here all my life and I'm also a LEO in Hampton roads. I see I'm a few weeks late on this thread, but maybe you still have questions.

Wake27
03-13-14, 15:46
Not that this means much, but from what one of the better RO's at LGC told me the other day, many of their stupid rules are necessitated by York County, since housing has been built in the club's backyard.

Gentleart
03-14-14, 18:11
I figured that was at least a part of the issue, but I believe the range was there first...... hope those people got a deal on the houses lol :).

Wake27
03-14-14, 18:16
I figured that was at least a part of the issue, but I believe the range was there first...... hope those people got a deal on the houses lol :).

Oh it was. It was founded in 1947 IIRC.

the 556 guy
03-14-14, 18:41
The rumor for the last 30 years was that the club was going to close. So, real estate agents were able to allude to that, and then the new homeowners were pissed off when it never closed.

Sadly, like they taught us in torts, coming to the nuisance is not a defense.

When the range becomes two-way, choose between being the fastest, most accurate shot or the fastest to cover...

_Stormin_
03-14-14, 21:45
Appreciate the offers to help Gentleart! We have actually gotten a rental for the time being. City Center, just west of Jefferson. We will be taking some time to buy the right place, rather than rush. I kinda thought we had the right place to rent when I noticed that no less than six local LEOs lived there. Last I checked, it's not a group that chooses to live in rough neighborhoods.

Heading over on the 22nd. It's one hell of a drive from coast to coast and we expect to be there on the 26th.

The more I research ranges, the less thrilled I am. I will admit that I am kinda shocked that there is nothing long range that I have been able to find. On my drive around the area everything south of the James seems wide open...

Maybe I will find somewhere that's not a few hours drive. :)

Khackee
03-15-14, 08:04
I have lived in Va Beach from 94 to early 2014. I couldnt wait to leave. But I am an old fart and less tolerant of BS. Traffic has gotten to be horrible, especially from Memorial day to Labor day. Backups from the peninsula to the southside can be MILES long in the summer. Now they have tolls on the tunnels (get an EZ pass from VDOT). Mosquitos as bad as the traffic. Jet noise ugh...
On positive note, Housing prices and overall cost of living should be lower than the left coast.
Virginia is a big gun rights state with very few restrictions. An Open carry state, A Shall issue CCW state. Gotta love that. One of the best gun rights groups around >VCDL.org.<

NSSF has an app to help you find a place to shoot called "where to shoot" Its slim pickings to find big ranges in that area, one of the reasons I moved to the western part of the state and got some land.
Good luck on your move & be safe. Welcome to Virginia

Gentleart
03-15-14, 10:43
Not a problem! City Center is nice, lots of restaurants and shops with in walking distance. The jet noise, mosquitos, and traffic aren't near as bad on the Newport News side of the water, V.S. VA Bch. I'm not saying there isn't any of that, but I'd say it's about half. You may or may not enjoy the events. Lots and lots of events in city center, and if you enjoy that type of thing being able to walk to them is cool. If you don't, traffic on those days will irritate you.

Not to carry on in here, but a great Mexican place in City center is Salsa's and a Brazilian meat bar/salad bar is Tucano's, also good stuff.

Wake27
03-15-14, 17:22
That's like 10 minutes from me haha. Nice area to have an apartment in as long as you don't mind that sort of thing. And it is a long drive, made it from San Diego to NoVA with my mom after I graduated high school a few years ago.

_Stormin_
03-17-14, 22:09
Not a problem! City Center is nice, lots of restaurants and shops with in walking distance. The jet noise, mosquitos, and traffic aren't near as bad on the Newport News side of the water, V.S. VA Bch. I'm not saying there isn't any of that, but I'd say it's about half.

LOL @ Jet Noise. I grew up an Air Force brat. I think I could sleep next to an active F35 runway and wake well rested. :D

_Stormin_
04-02-14, 22:32
And now, after five days, I am very familiar with the jet noise. :D

First time it happened I went to the window and noticed a pair of F18s. The next time another pair (might have been the same ones). I think around time number five on the second day I just stopped even thinking about it.

steyrman13
04-02-14, 22:50

First time it happened I went to the window and noticed a pair of F18s. The next time another pair (might have been the same ones). I think around time number five on the second day I just stopped even thinking about it.

Lots of jets from Langley right around the corner. As mentioned above salsas and Brazilian place are nice and the Cove in city center. Harpoon Larry's is a 3 min drive from there and is awesome seafood and oysters.

LoveAR
04-02-14, 23:13

The sound of freedom. I like it.

Wake27
04-03-14, 06:26
The sound of freedom. I like it.

Hell yes. F-22s fly around a lot too, its awesome.

_Stormin_
04-03-14, 08:10
WHY DID NONE OF YOU TELL ME ABOUT MIDTOWN EATS?!?!?! :D

Easily the best burger I have ever had in my life for $8... I was blown away at how good it was.

bundoc
04-03-14, 08:46
Did you move here already? Colonial should be opening up soon, they are interviewing candidates now. I've never been to the one in Richmond; however, I have heard that it's a nice facility.

Wake27
04-03-14, 10:42
WHY DID NONE OF YOU TELL ME ABOUT MIDTOWN EATS?!?!?! :D

Easily the best burger I have ever had in my life for $8... I was blown away at how good it was.

Never heard of them. May have to try them out tomorrow.

_Stormin_
04-04-14, 17:02
Yep bundoc, I am finally here.

tb-av
04-04-14, 23:10
Welcome to the Old Dominion. .... and remember.. all those people down there that can't drive.... they're transplants too. ;)

Not sure about places to eat there, but if you go to OBX for a weekend or whatever... In Duck is a place called the Blue Point. Get a reservation. Casual setting but very nice food. They tend to do two seatings a night. You can Google it.

bundoc
04-08-14, 20:32
Let me know when you come to my side of the water. I can direct you to decent places to eat.

krm375
11-18-15, 10:36
In Newport News and Hampton Roads, who do you all use to buy sell? I have a few older weapons that need to find a home, The pawn/gun shops seem to think right off the bat they are worth half of what they will go for. Any legitimate Consignment places that any one uses?

Wake27
11-18-15, 10:42
In Newport News and Hampton Roads, who do you all use to buy sell? I have a few older weapons that need to find a home, The pawn/gun shops seem to think right off the bat they are worth half of what they will go for. Any legitimate Consignment places that any one uses?

I went to college there, to be honest you're probably better off selling them online.

richiecotite
11-18-15, 16:02
Or Vaguntrader

Turnkey11
11-18-15, 17:59
Wish I had seen this post earlier, I spent a good part of my formulative years in the barracks at Ft Eustis, developed my alcohol tolerance on Granby St, and contributed to a few girls sleepless nights and poor GPA at ODU and Will and Mary college. I'd love to go back and see what's still there and what's changed.

krm375
11-18-15, 21:16
I found a place here, near Oceana, http://classicfirearmsandechoesofglory.com/
They do online auctions and are reasonable in pricing for sellers. I have a few going on their Proxibid auction in December. Old Mini 14, Eddystone Enfield, .224 Weatherby,

Wake27
11-19-15, 02:22
I found a place here, near Oceana, http://classicfirearmsandechoesofglory.com/
They do online auctions and are reasonable in pricing for sellers. I have a few going on their Proxibid auction in December. Old Mini 14, Eddystone Enfield, .224 Weatherby,

If you're on the NN side of the peninsula, Lafayette Gun Club is about the best place to shoot nearby.